Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lunalight7

Oils with the strongest throw or sillage - the most noticeable scents

I want a perfume that can be smelled far from me. I want to be in the perfume cloud. Someone should not smell my perfume while close to me. It should be a head turner! Which BPAL blends have this property?

We call this property of being able to be smelled far away, 'throw'.

If you click here there is a discussion of which oils have the most throw, which you might find helpful.

Hello. I am new to this site and i have been buying like a mad woman. So far I haven't found anything REALLY STRONG and that lasts.

I used to wear OPIUM perfume as it was a long laster. I also liked Dolce and Gabbana ,Coco,Mademoiselle. Could anybody recommend some strong scents? Please. I have been doing lots of research here and reading but hope someone can help. :blush:

Hello. I am new to this site and i have been buying like a mad woman. So far I haven't found anything REALLY STRONG and that lasts.

I used to wear OPIUM perfume as it was a long laster. I also liked Dolce and Gabbana ,Coco,Mademoiselle. Could anybody recommend some strong scents? Please. I have been doing lots of research here and reading but hope someone can help. :blush:

Chuparosa is so strong at first it can be overpowering if you put on what would be a normal amount for many other oils. It's got a crazy amount of throw. :) It seems to last fairly well on me and dries down without too much morph!

Hunger! Out of everything I've tried over the year I've been into BPAL, it's the longest lasting. So if orangetastic, dark vanilla sounds like something you'd like then get on it! I also found that Shattered lasts a long time, even though it's bright and citrusy. Oh, and anything with pumpkin!

So are you looking for stronger throw? Like, the scent projects outwards more? Or lasts longer on your skin? Or a combination of the both? (I only ask because some blends last a long time on me, but have minimal throw-- as in, you've gotta be really close to me to smell it.) Anyway, I have a similar problem-- my skin absolutely swallows up most BPAL scents. They rarely last more than 30-60 minutes! :cry2: And unfortunately, most of the blends that last on my skin are LEs.

LEs that last AND project:

- Antique Lace (used to be GC but is essentially discon'd)

- Black Lace

- Creature Feature

- Glowing Vulva/ Osiris v4 prototype (both v similar to my nose)

- Hellhound On My Trail

- Sacrifice

- Velvet Unicorn

GCs that last AND project:

- Bow & Crown of Conquest

- Dorian

- Great Sword of War

- Scherezade

Blends that last but have low-throw on me:

- Capela Dos Osos prototype (LE)

- The Girl (LE)

- Tushnamatay (GC)

- Veil (GC)

Red Lantern, Loves Philosophy, Banshee Beat, Obatala, Mme Moriarty, Snake Charmer, Western Diamondback and Diary of a lovestruck teenage cannibal all last for hours on me and smell as strong as they did when I first applied. If you want scents to last a long time, you need to determine which notes you amp as they will stay around the longest.

hymn to proserpine is incredibly strong and long-lasting on me, probably more than any other bpal. kabuki and depraved are also up there.

let's see: also satyr, the raven, goblin, a countenance forboding evil...

i also second the rec's of mme. moriarty, red lantern, shattered & dorian (though in my case it needs to be aged).

BPALs don't last on me, either. One exception is Spellbound - it's overwhelmingly strong, and lasts forever. You have to LOVE rose though - really, really love rose.

Dragon's Milk on me is incredibly strong and long-lasting, so much so that I have to be careful about when and where I put it on. If I get into a car or confined space within the first half-hour or so of having it on, it's strong enough to give me a headache. It also tended to be one people could smell on me from a distance.

Chimera doesn't have nearly the same waft, but it will last for forever on me. I can put it on in the morning, and still smell part of it the next morning when I wake up.

Rose scents, including Marie and Rose Cross, tend to bloom big with the rose for about, then die back to a very light scent.

In general, though, oil based perfumes don't waft as much as the alcohol based ones will. You might try putting some of the perfume on the ends of your hair, it tends to last longer/waft more from there. I've had hetaraie on my wrist and in my hair, and everyone noticed it in my hair, but no one comments on my wrist.

I find that anything with red musk in it (the Snake Oil variants, Crawdad Dream, Mania) has great throw and wear on me. (Almost too much, in fact!)

Xiuhtecuhtli, Bakeneko, Scherezade, and Couple Consulting an Enpon all had good throw on me, though they almost all have red musk, which helps. And I echo the "if you get warm, throw happens" theory. I tend to wear at my neck and cleavage and if I climb some stairs or briskly walk somewhere, I notice more throw as I heat up.

Eat Me fills up a room with scent for me and is the one most noticed by others around me.

Edited by gypsyjolie

Xiuhtecuhtli, Bakeneko, Scherezade, and Couple Consulting an Enpon all had good throw on me, though they almost all have red musk, which helps. And I echo the "if you get warm, throw happens" theory. I tend to wear at my neck and cleavage and if I climb some stairs or briskly walk somewhere, I notice more throw as I heat up.

Eat Me fills up a room with scent for me and is the one most noticed by others around me.

Eat Me vanished on me after just a couple minutes, made me so sad...

That being said anything I wear has passed the test of my skin not gobbling it up and vanishing within minutes, which it has a nasty habit of doing. Though I guess that just helps me narrow things down more easily to decide what I'd like to spend my money on. So I assume they're scents with general decent throw. But the two of mine that are strongest on me are probably Jack(General Catalog) and Now Winter Nights Enlarge(LE Yule).

French Love is crazy strong with good throw and lasts a long time. I have to be careful not to put more than a drop or two on at one time. It has dragon's blood in it though which smells very different on different people.

Event Horizon is strong, the throw is medium but people can smell me from 3-4 feet away when I wear it and it lasts a long time.

Dia de Los Muertos is another one that I have to only put on a couple of drops and can still smell me at a distance. Lasts well too and is gorgeous.

BPALs don't last on me, either. One exception is Spellbound - it's overwhelmingly strong, and lasts forever. You have to LOVE rose though - really, really love rose.

Does it ever! And yes, you had better just love and adore rose if you want to wear Spellbound. If you want a GC scent that lasts and lasts, and you really and truly are a rose fan, then Spellbound is your scent.

Other scents that last and last and have great throw on me - and I am practically world famous for having scent-eating skin:

Khajuraho - throws like a mofo and lasts forever

Brisingamen

The Lion

Bastet

Salome

All Saints 2005 (I wore this to my graduation on a hot day and probably stunk up the whole entire auditorium)

In my dry-skinned experience, resins, especially amber, make a scent last and help its throw. You will notice that Khajuraho, Brisingamen, and The Lion all have amber.

The Antikythera Mechanism is *strong* - though it's mostly tobacco and teak and smells amazingly like a tobacconist's shop. Yum. :)

Sin is another one. It smells like you're walking in a warm cloud of spice, but not the nose-burning kind.

Edited by LaLaLaLaLemon

Black Temple Burlesque Troupe has amazing throw - I was waiting around while my roommate was changing my car's oil in the shop that he works in - and it was humid; I kept smelling something musky, slightly nutty, and just delicious and finally figured out that it was me (hehe) It was wafting all around me like a positively edible cloud.

Others that I've noticed have a lot of throw and get the most attention because of their throw (some have already suggested these - just for what it's worth...grin): 13 (the original), Glowing Vulva, Eat Me, Now Winter Nights Enlarge, Snake Oil, and Cerberus.

Edited by GirlinDenial

Black Rose and Sophia had so much throw I had to get them out of the house. Hellhound has a lot of throw, as does Snake Oil..I agree with the red musk scents having a lot of scent power. People always noticed and commented on Mircalla when I wore it last fall.

Black Rose and Sophia had so much throw I had to get them out of the house. Hellhound has a lot of throw, as does Snake Oil..I agree with the red musk scents having a lot of scent power. People always noticed and commented on Mircalla when I wore it last fall.

I agree. Mircalla is one of my favorites, and it has a lot of throw while lasting hours on end. It's some good stuff. I also get reactions from Madame Moriarty and Snake Oil. Not in the red musk family, Crypt Queen and Blood Rose seem to have both throw and long wear time too.

As you can probably tell by looking at the little line of images in my signature, I am fond of oils that do both those things >.>

Edited by Dianora

I'm glad I read this post. Would you like to know the outcome? he he he. I will post it after my recommendations, which are:

Snake Oil, Samhainophobia '06, Lust, Sin, and like so many people have said: anything with Pumpkin!

Without further ado, here is the list! :ack:

Snake Oil (wins...) with 29 votes

Sin 13 votes

Jack and Samhain tied with 9 votes

Vixen, Bordello, Loviatar three way with 7 votes

Scherezade, Dragon's Heart, Chimera, Jailbait, Snow White, Bloodlust, Sugar Skull: 6

Perversion, Spellbound, Hunger, Ferris Wolf, Blood Amber, Moon Rose, Hell's Belle, Mme. Moriarity, Dorian: 5

Antique Lace, Saturnalia, Lampades, Sed no Satiata, Love Me, Snake Charmer, "O": 4

Hollywood Babylon, Water of Notre Dame, Tombstone, Vice, Blood Rose, Sugar Cookie, Red Lantern, Cockaigne, Wolf Moon, Phantom Queen, Highwayman, Euphrosyne, Luperci, Eat Me, Gomorrah, Xiuhtecuhtli, Gluttony: 3

Formula 54, Jester, de Sade, Sybaris, Embalming Fluid, Siren, Red Queen, Hamadryad, hellfire, Lust, Rose Red, Kabuki, Anne Bonny, Dublin, Fae, Bakeneko, Obatala, Shattered, Glowing Vulva, Hellhound on my Trail, Ultraviolet, Chuparosa, Depraved, Ravenous, Tezcatlipoca, Black Rose, Whip, Wicked, Blood Kiss, Delphi, The Pit and the Pendulum, Midnight Mass, The Hanging Gardens, Black Forest, Blood Countess, Mircalla, Belladonna, Black Dahlia, Smut, All Saints, Severin: 2

Honorable mention: (with one vote each):

Hearth, Yggdrasil, Lilith, Venom, Mabon, Wolf's Heart, Queen of Spades, Nemesis, Le Serpent Qui Danse, Rapture, Desire, Athens, Jezebel, Queen of Diamonds, Has no hanna, Danube, Szepassony, Sundew, Shub Niggurath, Swank, Zorya, Death on a Pale Horse, Strangler Fig, Shoggoth, Black Phoenix, Shango, Eos, Sloth, Tempest, Mr. Nancy, Knave of Hearts, Midnight, Schwartzer Mond, Jacob's Ladder, Death of Autumn, Tamamo-no-mae, Milk Moon, Itaso..., The Caterpillar, Titania, Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, Aizen-Myoo, Black Lace, Creature Feature, Sacrifice, Velvet Unicorn, Great Sword of War, Love's Philosophy, Western Diamondback, Hymn to Proserpine, Event Horizon, French Love, Dia de los Muertos, Sheol, Khajuraho, Brisingamen, The Lion, Bastet, Salome, Antikythera Mechanism, Cerberus, Wolf's Bane, Djinn, Sacred Whore of Babylon, Nosferatu, Dragon's Bone, St. Germain, Nyx, Port-au-Prince, Horn of Plenty, Medea, Red Moon, Erato, Wrath, Ouija, Devil's Night, Gnome, Lenore, Wanda, Arabian Nights, Cairo, Dragon Musk, Queen Mab, Regan, Velvet, Al Azif, The Bow and Crown of Conquest, Pannychis, Berenice, Silk Road, Voodoo, Dragon's Blood, Baobhan Sith, Verdandi, Black Temple Burlesque Troop, Sophia, Faiza.

Whew! I may have left one or two out (forgive me)...and this took surprisingly little time...I just really wanted to do it. I started reading this thread and writing down oils mentioned as I am not familiar with some of them yet...and would like to be. :D

Great thread! :joy:

Thanks for adding all of those up, Herb Girl :D. It's really interesting to see which ones got the most mentions. Eat Me, Depraved, and Voodoo are the strongest bpal oils on my skin (of the scents that I own and wear frequently). Eat Me and Depraved especially have crazy throw and people always notice them on me, even when I apply lightly.

The longest wear and greatest throw: Haunted. Haunted. Haunted. Also super-strong are: Tombstone, definitely. Satyr, but it's all cinnamon all the time. Bathsheba smells great & throws.

the Antikythera Mechanism, Snake Oil, Ekhidna, Wanda, Perversion. Dorian is subtle but very lasting. Brusque Violet is a softer scent, too, but it wafts a lot more than many others. Baba Yaga is long-lasting and wafts, also Thy Godfather's Present. Anne Bonny has lots of sillage and lasts forever, but smells like sawdust and cedar chips on me. The aquatic, clean scents have much better sillage and wear length than I could have ever dreamed.