Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lunalight7

Oils with the strongest throw or sillage - the most noticeable scents

Jailbait has a pretty good bit of throw, my mom could smell it like 10 ft away.

Then again IT SPILLED EVERYWHERES. :P So it's all **I** can smell!!! :D

--Mystina

I agree with hypothermya; Samhain was very wafty and strong. I loved it!

Red Queen, Jack, and Vice were also very noticeable on me.

-Rae

Ditto-ing on the "body chemistry" thing and to take that one step further, for me at least that even changes from day to day ...

Certain scents just disappear on me immediately (sadly) ... others I can't get rid of no matter how often I scrub ...

Yesterday I wore Hamadryad and though I thought I had applied it pretty sparingly, I definitely was getting throw all day and all night.

Two others I remember offhand as having had good legs all day for me were Sin and Black Dahlia ...

I'm wearing Wolf's Heart today and getting moderate but steady throw now six hours after application.

I find, also, that cleavage application generally guarantees good steady throw so I only do that when it's an already tested and favorite scent ...

Whoever said that Nemesis had strong and steady throw for them, I am envious. That is one of my top three scents but it just doesn't stick around as much as I'd like it to, even when I layer it with my special Aveeno Nemesis lotion.

Good Question -- however, I can't remember which oils actually have a lot of throw on me right now ...other than Snow White. Even the few times I have gotten throw from a scent (which I love -- by the way), I think it had something to do with me getting warm all of a sudden and releasing the scent thru body heat. I tend to be a very cold person and in the rare instances I get overheated, I generally get throw from my oil. Oh, how I wish I was a warmer person. The only oil I've noticed throw from recently is Snow White. I would suggest scanning the reviews on some of the oils, as that is where I note if the oil had throw on me and I know a lot of others do the same thing.

Samhain springs to mind right away. *Very* strong throw, IMO. Also, Rose Red, but that may be because I ended up applying more than usual.

I'm still going through a bunch of imps, though, so I'll update if I find more.

Blood Rose had the most incredible throw and staying power on me, stronger than any other BPAL oil. Unfortunately, I hated it and it was one of those oils that you can smell for days, even after showering :P . Other oils that have a lot of throw on me (but not nearly as much as Blood Rose) are Jack, Sugar Cookie, Snow White, Athens, Jezebel, Hellfire and Vixen. For some reason, Samhain doesn't have much throw on me, I wish it did, but I love it anyway. It does last quite a long time, though.

I have to agree with ChupaChup. Blood Rose is the longest lasting BPAL blend I've tried to date -- it clings to your clothes, to your skin (even after showering), and has a fair amount of throw.

Snow White also had a lot of throw on me, which was unfortunate because one of the notes in it didn't agree with me. :P

For me, Kabuki, Xiuhtecuhtli, Snake Oil, and Queen of Diamonds have the most throw. I have to be very careful how much I use... and yet, I don't mind so much if people go "dude, you smell like..."

In my experience, I've had a few fragrances that have impressed me with their staying power and potency. Sometimes, they're ones I'd rather *not* have these traits, but here are some off the top of my head that have good "throw" that I've tried:

-Hell's Belle

-Anne Bonny

-Lampades

-Hollywood Babylon

-Moon Rose

-Wolf's Heart

-Hamadryad

-Has No Hanna

-Blood Amber

Of those, Has No Hanna and Moon Rose didn't quite agree with me. Perhaps they'll be kinder to you.

Happy hunting.

-doreen

I agree that eveyone's chemistry is differnet and not every scent lasts on everyone else the same. That being said what works for me so far has been Morocco and Block Buster.

Good luck on your quest. :P

I would say samhain for sure :D I had a mishap w/ my retainer cap and a rather largish drop sprang forth. It was a day I had about 6 imps to mail off for swaps, the lady at the post office kept asking what the smell was, then when it was my turn (yes she was asking when I was quite a ways back in line :P ) I said I was sending essential oils, and she said ahhhh it must be you I smelled :D so lost of throw.

Another: Hell's Belle. REALLY easy to overdo. I accidently put too much on the first time (only the equivalent of a few drops, mind you) and it was overwhelming even when my wrists were nowhere near my face.

I have to agree on Hell's Belle, it's got quite a bit of throw! It's very yummy though. =)

I think Snake Oil, does too. And Dragon's Milk, at least on me. :P

I am a hard sell when it comes to long lasting, so it has to be powerful. The ones that are strongest on me (both as first put on and lasting) are:

Djinn

Ultraviolet

Sacred Whore of Babylon

Nosferatu

The Lampades

Dragon's Bone

Note: I am a dabber and these are the ones where a drop or two and you are good for most the day.

Edited by Madame Nyx

I just wore Tarot: The Star to class tonight and boy, does that have a lot of throw! It stayed strong all night too. I love that lime and coconut :P .

Wow, dot testing Sybaris at the elbows, not a heavy slather either, and this stuff is throwing like MAD. Clove, spicy warm incensy clove with throw that *will not* stop. woohoo.. wow..

I'd dotted it on lightly since i'm in "test the new things" mode; Sybaris drowned out The Raven, and i have a slight cold and i'm still getting a mighty throw of clove spice. o_O This is a scent that will linger in a room after you've passed, will probably do great dabbed in the hair or as a room scent.

Awesome...

I'd like to compare this to Port-au-Prince to see how they compete at throwing the clove note; could be that clove is simply really quite strong this year/batch/season/shipment. It's a great clove though; incensy and spicy and rich. Yes, this is going in the scent-pad-thingie in my car.. mmm..

I second Pekeana on the Wolf's Moon!

Also notice lots of throw with Dragon's Heart, Dragon's Milk and Bloodlust

(though looking at this list, maybe it's just my skin chemistry + dragon's blood)

Oh, and Darkness, too.

Bordello has had the most "throw" for me, of the ones I've tried. I'm wearing a bit of Blood Amber on my wrists right now. First time wearing it, LOTS of throw, probably due to the Dragon's Blood in it, which I detected immediately. Dragon's Blood is mostly rose, which my skin instantly amplifies. Ditto for Nyx. Port-Au-Prince, also, because of the clove. Water of Notre Dame had the same effect, I'm not sure what's in it, but it doesn't take much of that before I can smell it in the air around me.

Wow...thanx for the recs!!! :P I have a few of the Blood scents lined up for my next order and many of your rec's were already on my list. I can't wait to try them all...my next paycheck will go to the Lab :D