Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sado-masochistic holiday cheer: whip leather, cardamom, patchouli and bourbon.

First sniff: SPICEpatchoulileather. No, wait, make that LEATHERspicepatchouli. Hang on a second, now it’s PATCHOULIleatherspice. Make up your dang mind, will ya?

Wearing: It’s the spice variety when it hits my skin, but the waft is strongly leather, and occasionally, just to freak me out, it flips back and forth. One of these days I’ll learn that I just can’t wear leather. Well, no, I probably won’t, because I’ll keep trying everything.

In the vial: spicy and slightly boozy. Delish!

Wet: patchouli and spice with a hint of booze. Something else has joined the party, perhaps the leather?

Dry: Something is not agreeing with me. Maybe the leather? This is one of the few oils that I've had a reaction to (itchy red spot on wrists), so I need to confine Spanked to a scent locket.

In the imp: Leather and booze.

Wet: Just leather. It's similar to the leather note in Dead Man's Hand, but darker.

Dry: The other notes come out a bit as it dries, but it's still mostly leather.

Overall, I really don't like this. I can't really figure out what I dislike about it, but every time I smelled it I had to convince myself to let it dry instead of washing it off.

Spanked - Oh my God, this is a sexy sexy sexy scent! When I first put it on, I thought the leather was going to just be way too strong, but once it dried down, the spice in it became evident, and the patchouli (which I often don’t like) blends so beautifully with the leather and cardamom. Just the tiniest dab on my wrist, and I can smell it all around me. This is not a scent for work, that’s for sure. It’s a nighttime scent, as it’s 100% sexy, seductive, and totally erotic. I started out wiht just a drop of this and have managed to get my hands on quite a bit more since and am hanging on to it very tightly! It's just a suberb blend and I can still smell it on my skin hours after I apply it.

Edited by edenssixthday

In the bottle this smells like cardamom and patchouli with a husky overlay of leather.

The first time I wore it I cut it with a carrier oil and it became the scent of worn leather, spicy cologne, and . . . latex gloves. Combined with the Horatio Hornblower I was watching at the time, this conjured a mental image so frightening that I am forced to share it with you now: Ioan Gruffudd, Dream Gynaecologist.

Ahem. Moving on from that terrifying and yet compelling thought.

It doesn't do the rubber thing on repeated wearings. That was apparently a fluke. There is still just a whiff of polyvinyl about this, which amuses me to no end; in the context of a scent called "Spanked," it's quite appropriate.

It remains very stable on me, only shifting a little between cardamom and patchouli and back. Quite well-blended and pleasant. I'm starting to think that booze notes and leather really love my skin, because nearly any scent in which they are present stays in place well and wears long.

At the extreme weardown, it's patchouli and bourbon, lounging around on a leather jacket. This scent is clearly tired because it's all f***ed out. The lingering aura is sexy as hell.

It's the cardamom that's the genius, here, though. It's the "spank" in the Spanked, the sharp pain over the sexed-up backbeat. It's the spice that makes whatever sex it's having in your nose kinky sex. If you can find some of this limited edition, try it. It's quite unique and quite stimulating!

First on this is cardamom and leather.The patchouli shows up a bit later but very very faint. The bourbon is barely there. I really love the blending of cardamom and leather in Spanked. Leather on its own smells wonderful but the addition of cardamom mamkes this truly wicked. Spanked is a winner!

In the Bottle: Oh wow. Strong! Slightly boozy, with a strong dark patchouli -- not your local hippie's variety -- with whiffs of cardamom, and underlying leather. How interesting.

On Application: That leather is strooooong! Leather and booze, so far that's all that's coming out on me.

On Drydown: The leather has calmed down a bit, but it's still mainly what I smell. There is only a faint, faint hint of the cardamom, which disappoints me because I love cardamom. I don't like the patchouli in this, and the bourbon I catch is almost sticky-sweet.

Comments: I wanted to like this, I really did. It's not an unpleasant scent once it dries down, but it really just doesn't work as a perfume on me.

Verdict: Swap, I guess. *cry*

Oh, Spanked. You have become my #1 heartbreaker.

I love Perversion, it's my favorite scent and I love leather scents in general actually. I was hoping in Spanked to get a boozy leather which is combining my 2 of my favorite scents. Unfortunately though all I got was leather and patchouli. No bourbon to be found. So on me it ends up smelling exactly like De Sade. If this was a GC, I'd keep it purely for the name but it's not so this has to be given a new home.

Thanks to bugsmama for the decant.

Vial: Patchouli with a splash of bourbon.

Skin: Mmm. . .spicy leather. I actually powdered myself (lightly) with cardamom once, as an experiment for a story I was writing, and I smelled like this, except nowhere near as awesome.

Drydown: Everything blends on me so delightfully, this is hella sexy (as we say in SoCal). If I knew a man that smelled like this, I'd bend myself over his knee. I'm so happy to have gotten a sample of this one, considering how highly coveted it is, I'll have to use it carefully.

Edited by luna65

Have I not reviewed this one? My absolute favorite BPAL scent? oh the humanity...

I got an imp of this on ebay, probably for way too much, so I sniffed it in the vial. Not bad, but so not me. This was one of the first 5 imps I got the chance of trying, and leather? There's no way I can pull this off. Not the innocent, sweet girl that I was (HA!). I did always have this vision of what I would smell like, and it's something closer to Gluttony or Eat Me, not leather.

I wore this out to dinner with my family and oh. my. god. Not something I want to wear to dinner with my family. I kept sneaking sniffs from my wrists, being sly about it because for some reason it felt dirty.

At dinner, I told my husband how much I loved this scent, he asked what it was , I said Spanked. :P That is how the affair with Spanked all began.

It turned to a sweet, spicey, leather scent. It's not sharp like in the vial.. It's perfect. If I could bathe in it I would.

Now... I need to plot how to get a case of this scent because I never want to be without it. Ever.

Spanked-

In Bottle: Leather and musk. Very masculine scent.

Wet: A strong leather bloom. Not as delicious a leather as Dead Man's Hand; more the leather of De Sade.

Dry: Sigh! I did want to love this scent, it's so popular. But it's that harsh "burning car upholstery" leather, and it takes a while to dry down to something I can like. I imagine this scent is like, for me, me wandering into some S & M club thinking it's going to be something a tourist can gawp at, and then get pulled into a room by someone who is Not Kidding Around and wants to teach the rude tourist a lesson. I'm in over my head. Which is exactly how I am with this scent: in over my head. I might give it another try later; if it still doesn't work for me, I'll find it a good home.

Overall: Very conditional.

Mmmmmm...spicy alcoholic leather. Damn, that's a good thing.

I have a decant of Spanked that doesn't get nearly the wear it should, because, dayum, I smell like dirty, stinky, boozy sex when I wear it (and I mean that in the best possible way :P). This is definitely not an office or playdate sort of scent.

But it is awfully good...

Very nice. It's clear why this is hard to come by! Mostly I get the leather and a bit of booziness which must be the bourbon. Not really getting patchouli, but I do get a bit of spice that must be the cardamon.

i love this! i can't believe i didn't try it sooner, i was just turned off by the leather note. i get a sweet hint of bourbon, spiced up with cardamom. luckily the leather doesn't interfere too much and make this masculine on me...it's very very nice. extremely sexy!

In the bottle: creamy sultry warm leather with spiciness.

On me, wet: warm creamy leather with warm, soft spices and general yumminess. My wrist is *glorious*.

On me, dry: Oh man this is heartbreakingly lovely. The leather and the cardamom are gorgeous together, the patchouli doesn't do much except add a trace of warm, and I can't detect the bourbon but I suspect it's what's making this feel so sultry and dirty.

Verdict: I suspect this won't be to my SOs taste, but I will treasure my little partial bottle nonetheless. Easy to see why it's so coveted.

I managed to snag a bottle of this one....I always hated leather until the DPP series, so I decided to give this one a try. Glad I did cuz it's HAWT.

THe leather is verrrrry similar to the leather in Bachelor's dog, and Spanked's patchouli is nice and smooth, adding depth to the leather and keeping it from being acrid, somehow. I can't identify the other notes in the scent but this is truly smooth, would be sooooo sexy on a guy, but is not so masculine as not to be unisex. Anyone who likes leather scents can wear this (oh, and it lasts forever on my skin. I smell like a warm leather jacket :P )

Well hello there you sexxy, naughty thang! Spanked you are just perfect! This is all leather on my skin, but it's dry and smooth and doesn't become overbearing. The cardamom is the perfect spice for this, and there's just the right amount of sweet that lends itself to the leather.

*fans self*

I rate this 5 out of 5.

My least favorite of this set of inquisition scents. It smells all of leather and honestly i can't wear leather - there is also something sweet and almost smoke-y in there but i seem to smell nothing but leather. too masculine for me, so maybe on a guy. if i smelled any Patchouli and bourbon i'd love it, but as is it's just not my thing. Guess Jola doesn't like getting spanked :P

the first time i tried this, way back a couple years ago, i remember it being boozy spiced leather.

tonight as i try it again (albeit just a teensy droplet from the end of a pipette after making a sniffy) it smells like Samhain ('05) with some leather on the side.

Finally got my hands on some Spanked! :D

I love it! Out of all the (hundreds of) BPAL scents I've tried, Spanked is the closest to the commercial fragrance that was my "signature scent" for several years: Bulgari Black. According to the Bulgari website, the notes in Black are: Lapsang souchong tea, smoke, rubber, resin, amber, and woody. To me it's always smelled like sweet, smoky leather, and that is how Spanked smells after it dries. There's even that (pleasantly) rubbery top note like there is in Black. Perhaps there's a ball gag to go with that leather flogger? :P On the way to this delicious finish, however, there is a brief detour through PSYCHOTIC CINNAMON CITY (from the cardamom, I'm assuming), but thankfully the spice doesn't stay amped up for too long.

Now, how will I ever find more? :D

ETA: Bizarrely, several hours into wearing Spanked, it morphs into a dead ringer for a former Bath & Body Works fragrance: "Sandalwood Rose". It's not unpleasant, but rather utterly unexpected and a trifle confusing.

Edited by Apple

You can see why I got it right off, can’t you. In bottle: More patchouli than I’d like, very “Mrs. Santa, the whip girl.” I am surprised there aren’t more obviously Christmassy elements in it like pine, as it smells vaguely that way. I am liking what the cardamom and bourbon are doing with the leather, I really am. Wet: Leather! My skin does tend to amp this and as I think it, it is pleasing. The patchouli really backs down, making more room for the cardamom/bourbon effect. Seriously, I am liking this, despite my lack of luck with alcohol BPALs outside the rum family. I wouldn’t drive wearing it, since that bourbon is just boozey enough to raise questions if one is pulled over, but it’s not super strong, especially with all that lush leather. Yum. Yum, I say! This one really lives up to the concept, I think. Dry: vaguely spicy leather.

Hmm, I can see why this is so coveted. This is leather, but it's not butch or strong, it's got a nice presence, with spicy and boozy overtones to it. It's dead sexy, like leather pants are sexy, just the right amount of naughty but not so overly sexual that you can't wear it outside of the bedroom. :P

I need to hunt down and beat... er, spank, the individual who sent me an imp of this with juuust enough to test it. Damn you!!! So very perfect on my skin. Warm and rich, just the tiny bit I put on is giving me nice wiffs of a subtly spicy leather. Cardamom has been my new favorite note since discovering Mama-Ji. In Spanked it not nearly as strong, contributing to the background of the scent. God, I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

It is really not fair that I discover these blends after they are long gone and highly coveted.

I had no idea this one had leather, but as soon as I applied it to my skin, I knew. I amp leather like there's no freaking tomorrow. This one was like leather and bourbon. The leather didnt come out as strongly as with other blends on my skin, but it was the predominant note. Not for me.