Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sado-masochistic holiday cheer: whip leather, cardamom, patchouli and bourbon.

Wet - oh f*ck. If this smells as good on as it does in the bottle, it's top ten material. Bourbon and cardamom and patchouli; it smells like a cross between Alone and Perversion. I am smitten. As soon as it touches my skin, it's all leather.

Dry - Leather, with a kick of cardamom spice. Behind that, a touch of patchouli and the tiniest bit of bourbon. Sadly, bourbon doesn't seem to last on my skin. After awhile the spices amp back up, and I even get the tiniest bit of bourbon back. Anyone who liked Alone or Perversion will love this. This is undoubtedly going in my personal top ten.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

In the bottle I really smell the bourbon, but once i put it on it changes completely.

Wet the first and strongest thing I smell is the cardamom.

As it dries the leather really comes out on me and as a nice dimension to the spiciness.

The longer I wear this the more the patchouli comes out to play. It has a great throw too. I have to say that this has to be one of my favorite spicy scents. The lab is welcome to call me naughty and spank me any time as long as it smells this good! :P

I've been a naughty, naughty girl and I got SPANKED! :D

In the bottle and when first applied, I think it smells quite similar to Blood Moon. It has the same spiciness, which apparently is cardamom, but I think there is some cassia in there also.

It is a morpher, because after about 15 minutes the spiciness with the patchouli background fades back and the leather and bourbon take center stage. On extreme drydown, though, the similarities to Blood Moon return.

It also has a lot of throw, and is very long lasting. I put this on last night after dinner and it is now fully 12 hours later and I can still smell it on my wrists.

Patchouli and boozy scents aren't usually my thing, but my husband smelled Spanked yesterday and :P it. So I guess I'm keeping it! :D

Clearly, I am a very, very naughty girl, as I too got Spanked!

I'll preface this by saying that I'm reviewing this scent in front of my spice cabinet, so that i can compare the early, very spicy stages to my cooking spice stock.

At first sniff, this is reminiscent of Blood Moon - spicy and very sexy, and while the spice is certainly predominately cardamom, it does smell like there's a hint of cinnamon in there as well. Perhaps that's the influence of Beth's patchouli?

As this dries, it changes quite a bit - it gets a boozier, and less spicy, until I can smell almost nothing. On me, leather sometimes smells like leather, and sometimes smells like nothing. Sadly, this is one of those instances in which I can barely smell it, so Spanked becomes a hint of spiced booze.

Ultimately, this is gorgeous - a truly sexy scent in all stages - and would be killer on someone without my chemistry, but it's not quite me.

Edited by Imbrium

BPTPSpanked.jpg

In the bottle

Smells like spicy goodness.

On

Ohhh I smell cardamomn and lovely pathcouli with a bit of leather in back. I am biased because I've always thought cardamom is one of the best scents in the world. The Patchouli is strongest on my skin, then the cardamom then the leather, then the bourbon

30 minutes

Doesn't change on my skin, it remains warm and spicy and an iota of sweetness.

Throw:

a bit

Scent category:

Incensey/Foody

Summary

It smells very spicy in the bottle and warms and rounds out on my skin. The bourbon is not strong in here as it is in BPAL's "Jazz Funeral" for instance but it definitely lends it's smell to the mix.

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

I have been such a bad girl, I needed a good, sound spanking. Can I just say I LOVE this stuffies?

In the bottle: Spice and an undernote of leather. This reminds me of Sin, somewhat, for some reason.

On: Oh wow! The spices go NUTS on me and create this swirling dervish of delightful spiceyness! Shit, this is awesome. It's so heady, it should be illegal.

Dry: I get the same thing Scylla does: this morphs into a leather and bourbon scent and this is HOT! I'm totally loving this one and I am EVER so happy I got it.

Overall, I think I'll have to guard this LE with my life as DH has already pilfered it. (It's okay, I'll be stealing his Baron hoodie before long...heh!) This is a very sultry, thrilling scent. It reminds me of when I was a pro-domme. I used to have a perfume oil purveyor here in Chitown make a blend for me which had spices and pumpkin in it. Often, the pumpkin would vanish, leaving me with heady spices. This reminds me of what my leather corset used to smell like...as well as my barber's strap. Memories....light the corners of my mind...scented, naughty memories, of the way your bum burned...:P

I have been deemed naughty by the BPAL imps, and I have been Spanked! This is actually the scent I was hoping to get! Thanks BPAL imps, you rock! :P

In the bottle: Cinnamon? That isn't listed on the ingredients...hmmm. :D Not the CINNAMON of Poppet, but a subtler cinnamon. Like a craft store cinnamon??? I am undaunted as I know how BPAL blends are superb, and morph.

Wet: Leather, LEATHER, and cinnamon.

Dry down: Leather, cinnamon, cardamon.

One hour later: vanilla bourbon, leather, cardamon

Two hours or more: vanilla bourbon, leather middle, cardamon last. Lost the cinnamon smell. Never got patchouli, and I usually amp that up. It stays nicely blended and grounds it.

Conclusion: OMFG! I am so hording this :D ! It should be a BPAL regular! They should start an S & M BPAL scent section, or maybe a "little shop o' horrors" section! I want to shag myself! :D

Edited: because I forgot to mention that this oil is a rosey red color of a well spanked bum! :D

Edited by atropos

I guess I'm one of the few who just didn't lose it over this one. It's not that I don't luuurve the scents involved in theory, but they just never really work well on me. That hard black leather scent goes wierd on my skin in a sort of dominatrix gone bad, kind of way. She just doesn't know when to stop and then Patchouli gets in on the act and it's sort of an unwashed dominatrix smell.

Not terribly enticing adding in the bourbon and this one becomes a Christmas nightmare to my mind.

I will say that it's just my skin so have no fear. I had the delicious pleasure of inhaling this on a fellow BPAL'ers wrist and wanted to leap on him right then and there - the fact that he's totally and utterly and happily gay not withstanding.

Gorgeous on others. On me...notsomuch.

Oh Beautiful Cardamom!! This is absolutley wonderful! Imagine Bengal without that pepper smell, and throw in some cardamom and leather. It really is that good. Now don't get me wrong, at first I wasnt too sure about this, it was on the border of smelling like band-aid so I can see some people not liking this. BUT on me it is all about leather and spice. Just beautiful and definately gets 5/5 for scent and throw. A top ten favorite scent!

at first: black leather.

on: lots of cardamon and a bit of leather.

1 hour later: a warm leather scent. very nice.

2 hours later: i can smell the patchouli now, along with the cardamom and leather.

overall: i adore this.

I thought that the leather in this would be really strong, but I am getting mostly a cassia sort of fragrance at first. Cinnamony with a bit of spicy, dark leather in the background.

A half hour later the leather has really come through, but it hasn't completely drowned out the nother notes as it usually does on my skin. It's a warm sort of leather and I am really enjoying it. Spicy and hot. There is a sweet spiciness that is lingering nicely behind the leather as well. I would probably like this one a lot more on a man, but I can see myself wearing it from time to time as well.

Spanked is pretty strong and has a good deal of throw, 6 hours on my skin and it is still going. :P

Oh... my... Spanked is GORGEOUS!

It's the deliciously sinful bastard love child of Perversion, Loviatar and Alone. Damn that must have been one hell of an orgy...

I love leather and Bourbon notes, and that is EXACTLY what Spanked dries down to on me. :P

Origin:

I got an imp of this from a lovely LJer who answered my plea to be Spanked. :D

Preconceived notions:

I wanted this more than any of the scents in the Inquisition, even Snowblind that I'd given up hope on ever getting to try. It sounded absolutely perfect for me and I quite literally cried when I got two bottles of Snowblind with my Inquisitions instead of the hoped and prayed for Snowblind and Spanked. So now I get to try it and I'm all atwitter with excitement. :D

First sniff:

Hmm, spicy, a bit leather-like with just a touch of booze. This is sexy! It's a bit like Loviatar but mixed with cardamom and a hint of bourbon (one of my favorite notes in the whole world of wonderful scents). I don't smell any patchouli which is a bit disappointing since I love patchouli even more than I do bourbon, but this is still gorgeous.

Wet on skin:

Whoa, spices! The cardamom kicks into overdrive on my skin and I smell a bit like Villainess' Ginger Snapped smooch if it were mixed with their Antihero soap. Not a bad thing at all...spicy and warm with a hint of leather. This is sexy!

Dry down:

Oh, God...that's what I was waiting for. The cardamom suddenly takes a nosedive and out comes the bourbon and patchouli, mingling with the leather and putting all sorts of naughty thoughts in my head. This is debauched pure and simple. Is it hot in here? :D

The bottom line:

Whoo, baby, this is everything I'd hoped for! I wish I could buy 4 or 5 more bottles of it. This is going to be an instant favorite. :P

Starts very dark patchouli, which isn't a promising start to me. Turns into dark leather, very fetish-y. It only becomes similar to Blood Moon as it dries--I suspect the cardamom. The spices take over as it dries, and it becomes largely cardamom/leather on me. The patchouli does stick its neck out every once in awhile, though (would that I could just chop that off without unbalancing the blend).

Very heady, very sexy, and my one regret is that I can pick the patchouli out by itself in some stages (patchouli isn't my favorite scent). It's strong, but its waft is more subtle. It isn't the smack-you-in-the-face type, it's more like the scent of leather after one's been spanked--the scent alone making people wonder, but it's still your own little secret. No one can see the red welts in public. Well into drydown, near the end of its life (like, the next day, perhaps) it's an amazing, beautiful balance of soft leather and spice--wish I could keep it that way.

I am so glad this one morphed so pleasantly on me. I just wish the stages of patchouli weren't so readily identifiable to me.

This arrived in the mail just as I was leaving for work, and I was so excited to try it, I just went ahead and dabbed some on without even sniffing the bottle first!

Wet: Helloooooo, cardamom! And a bit of dry woody cinnamon. I hadn't been sure how cardamom would work on me as a scent, but I really like it.

Drydown: Thankfully, the bourbon seems to be a bit player on my skin, which is a good thing since I didn't want a super-boozy scent. The cardamom continues to be the predominant note (especially in the throw), but as it dries down the leather comes up to almost equal prominence, with the patchouli (and what a gorgeous, woodsy patchouli it is!) giving it all a lovely undertone.

I only put a relatively small (well, for me anyhow) dab on, and I'm impressed with the power and throw of this! Love it, love it, love it.

I swaped my bottle of Snowblind for this and I must say I an not disapointed in the slightest!

At first this one goes on very strong. Almost to the point of over powering. The patchouli and leather come out first and nothing else can be smelled. And it's that way for almost an hour until fully dried down when the cardamom and sweetness of the burbon comes out and the patchouli takes back stage. It's like a sweet spicy leather. I just can't slather this one as much as I like but I'b fully in love with this. :P

Spanked

In the imp: sexy, spicy leather. Think Alone meets De Sade…its cardamom leather goodness!

Wet on skin: glorious cardamom with dark rich leather. The patchouli and bourbon aren't too noticeable yet.

Dry on skin: this is wonderful stuff. It's mainly leather with cardamom at this point, but dang, it smells so good! I think I catch glimpses of patch and bourbon (I think it’s the bourbon adding a dark boozy sweetness to the scent) every now and then but for now, it's all about spicy leather! I love cardamom so much and in here it's wonderfully prominent.

After a while: this gets darker and the leather note deepens, with the boozy sweetness of bourbon coming through. It still retains that yummy cardamom scent, and the patchouli just adds even more of a dark, earthy base to the scent. This scent is wickedly sexy in the naughtiest possible way!

This lasts an insanely long time on my skin, and the final drydown is smoky black leather.

Verdict: I wish I'd pleaded naughty and got a bottle of this-it's wonderful stuff. A sexy, dark, wicked little blend of dark, deep, shiny leather but with a delightful cardamom note on top. This is Alone and De Sade's lovechild. The bourbon adds a slight boozy sweetness and the patchouli lurks in the background, but the result is a fabulously naughty fragrance that makes me want to do bad things! Who thought getting a Spanking was so good?

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the bottle: Bourbon and spice

This is not the scent I associate with cardamom - I use it in baking. It like it, but it almost seems cinnamon-y. The other BPAL I know with a strong hit of this is Whippoorwill. (Although Whippoorwill has a much greener background.) Based on the other reviews here, I'm wondering if this is a side of patchouli I haven't experienced before.

On me: Spice and a hint of leather. Usually my skin amps up leather, but not in this. Over time a sweeter smell comes out and the whole scent softens. It doesn't have quite the throw for me that others have described, but it sticks around for a reasonable period of time.

I really like this. For me it fits in the whole leather spicy family I loves best. (Similar scents for me in that family include Loviatar and Geek.)

whee!!

spanked, it's just so good!

I love the cardamon, and the leather is good and strong on me, fortunately I'm not getting too much bourbon.

the throw isn't all that strong, but I'm really chilly, I have kind of cold hands (great for pastry bad for perfume) I'm looking foward to wearing this in the warmer weather.

In the bottle, this smelled wonderful - warm and spicy.

Wet: Raw leather with a hint of cardamom.

Dry: PatchouliPatchouliPatchouli. It's giving me a headache.

Damn. Off to swap.

Spanked, how I wanted to love thee...

I was so delighted that this was what the Trading Post sent to me! It was appropriate. I deserved it. I wanted a good spanking. Besides, I love patchouli, I love cardamom, I love boozy scents. But damn that leather! My body amps it so thoroughly that it wiped out all the other wonderful components. Like Loviatar and Wanda, I love the smell of fragrances with leather, but I can't wear them on my body. :P I am sure this scent is utterly awesome on the right person, and I'm very, very jealous of them right now.

Lucky me, I was able to swap with crescentwrench for Lump of Coal. Sweet! (Literally and figuratively.)

valentina

Edited by valentina

At first, this smells strongly of cardamom and bourbon on me, but after about 30 minutes, all I can smell is wet leather. It's a nice smell, but a little balls-out for daily wear.

This lasted for a long time on my skin, so I'll probably wear it when I need to feel naughty or dominant. :P

I finally got a chance to try Spanked earlier tonight. It's a very interesting scent, but totally not me. After about an hour's dry down it is cardamom and leather on me. But mostly cardamom. Unfortunately, it appears that I am not overly fond of the smell of cardamom and it's making my sinuses scream in agony.

It's really quite a shame, too, because I would totally love to tell people that I am wearing "Spanked." :P

This was the one of the inquisition scents that I really wanted, but I didn't end up putting in an order because I knew you couldn't pick and choose and the odds of five scents I wasn't crazy about to one that I might be didn't seem too good.

But I did get to try The Shapeshifter's bottle of it at the recent Toronto Meet'n'Sniff. Sadly, I got no trace of cardamom, which was disappointing because I really like that scent. And not much in the way of bourbon either -- it was mainly just heavy patchouli and leather. And as such, a little too heavy and earthy for me. I'm not a patchouli-hater -- I do like earthy notes, but balanced with things that lift them up a bit, and the lift was totally missing here.

It certainly did have mega staying power, though. Even after I tried to scrub it off to make room for new scent I wanted to try, it hung in there for hours. That area of my arm ended up being off limits to new scents for the duration of the meeting.

Grade: C+

This one starts out as all spice. Lots of cardamom. The bourbon note never really came out on me. The patchouli stayed very light in the background the whole time. After it dries completely it is mostly leather on me. Slightly spicy leather.