Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In dramatic contrast to the soft innocence of Snow White and the dew-kissed freshness of her sister, Rose Red, this is a blood red, voluptuous rose, velvet-petaled, at the height of bloom. Haughty and imperious, vain, yet incomparably lovely to the eye, but thick with thorns of jealousy, pride and hatred.

This, I love. A very elegant, dressed-up yet soft-spoken, regal rose. Edited by maribouquet

I'm glad I got to try the famous Peacock Queen, but although I love the rose plant, this is almost like a singel-note for me. I prefer Beth's more complex blends - but I will enjoy this perhaps as a room scent.

I had hoped that this one would be the rose scent that worked for me, but alas, it did what all the others have done; it turned straight into old lady rose-scented lotion on me. Apparently, rose is just one of those scents that I can't wear. :P

It's a miracle--I finally found a true rose scent that works on me!

Peacock Queen is an amazingly realistic rose scent--a slightly sweet, red rose in full bloom, just like the description says. I have awful luck with roses turning sour or powdery on me, but this is just perfect. It doesn't have any of the sharp green note that Rose Red does, and it is quite simple, so if you're looking for a more complex scent this probably isn't for you.

Might be bottle-worthy, just for the fact that I'm so surprised I can wear it :P

The Peacock Queen is definitely a hard, grown up rose scent. There is no "give" in her at all, she takes no prisoners. One tiny dab scents my wrist, and I'm not sure I can bear her forcefulness. She is not a garden rose, she is a huge display of prime, perfectly arranged roses in a managing director's office. This is not a perfume for shrinking violets like me, I don't think I can carry her off; at 36 I don't feel grown up enough to wear the Peacock Queen

Peacock Queen-

In Bottle: This is rose scent. Not rose, but rose scent. There's a difference.

Wet: Again, rose scent.

Dry: This really is what I expect from a rose scent--I see why this one gets a "haughty" label; it's that classy rose perfume scent, and--miracle of miracles!--does not go sour on me as so many rose blends do. I don't think I'll wear this much as I'm not into florals generally but I think I want to be sniffing it again and again.

Overall: One of the best rose scents I've found for myself!

if Rose Red is a young, fresh new rose among greenery, Peacock Queen is a more mature rose at the peak of its bloom, resting in a bed of dried rose petals. it has more depth and complexity, but less strength and throw. the Queen is older and more experienced, richly sophisticated… her beauty is rare and breathtaking, but she’s starting to fade a little around the edges.

On me, Peacock Queen '07 is tea rose single note. It's a nice scent, don't get me wrong, but I was expecting something more.

2007 version:

This is a stunning, haughty rose in full bloom. She knows her power and how to use it well. Quite possibly the most beautiful rose scent I have ever worn or smelled.

Single note rose. Nothing complex, but it seems it doesn't need to be. Beautiful for those who would enjoy rose, but it's just not for me.

Ok, just an update because I was able to purchase a bottle of the 2005, and I just got my fresh bottle of 2007 (not to mention a fresh bottle of Rose Red 2007)

Well, the Queen has been de-throned by Rose Red, but, I still love her. They are such different rose scents; PQ being so warm and sunny to me. Together with London, they form my beloved BPAL Rose Triumverate.

I compared the aged 2005 PQ and the fresh 2007 PQ and there were definitely some differences. Not huge, but detectable even to my novice nose. There is a hint of a fresh note riding on top of the lush sunny-day full-bloom roses of PQ in the fresh 2007, as opposed to the aged 2005...which makes the 2005 smell drier. Both are nice, but I think I prefer the fresh a tad more than the aged.

Oh, forgot to add, that on me, PQ isn't an evolving scent. The scent is strong and consistent from the moment the wet oil touches my skin to the last second before it fades.

Oh yeah, I'm going to have to track down a bottle of this. With a single sniff this validated all the swaps/purchases I arranged in the last 2 weeks for BPAL imps before smelling a single one. My rose quest ends here. It starts off as nothing but roses and it stays that way on me...and lasts a good while too. It's the most fabulous rich, warm, rose scent. Not a young girly rose smell…more womanly but definitely short of crotchety old lady. It makes me think of an afternoon spent sitting in an English Queen's garden. Good throw and lasts well. Don't forsee anything that can knock this baby off the pedestal. I couldn't ask anything more...except for it to be in the GC. :P
Edited by gloom & doom bear

Peacock Queen 2007

This is a powerful rose fragrance. It's very strong and rich. This is a dark rose, one that has lost it's dewy freshness. I don't smell any softness in this at all. It feels like it's slightly dry and moving into brittle. In my mind it has the look of flowers being hung upside down in order to dry the petals. This smells more like a very expensive perfume than an actual flower.

The hardness in this is really appealing to me. It's confident, and even it's artificiality is beautiful.

THE PEACOCK QUEEN 07

In Bottle: Rose

On Skin: Pure severe rose. For some reason the 05 version of this scent worked on me somewhat. This years blend does not. It is extreme tart, sour rose and even makes me eyes tear up a bit. I keep thinking someone has brought in a bouquet of roses… not a bad thing at all, but not a scent I like on my skin. Anyone who loves rose must have this scent, it and Rose Red were made for you guys. I’ll stick with the sweet innocent Snow White. Strong throw and long wearlength.

The Peacock Queen 2007

In the Bottle:

Heavily rose and quite herbal too!

I can see how this differs from Rose Red already!

On my Skin, Wet:

Green & a massive red rose!

This is a rose completely open and very rich smelling - the scent evokes the image of a complete bouquet of red roses, but you can only smell one rose out of the bunch - because that one rose is so strong that there is no need for the others to smell like anything....make sense? no. but that's what I smell :P

On my Skin, Dry:

Roses, Roses, and Greenery!

I have no idea what makes the difference between Rose Red and the Peacock Queen - but it's significant - even though they are both rose scents.

Verdict:

I MUCH prefer Rose Red over the Peacock Queen; but I will wear the PQ for more sophisticated nights out vs. Rose Red where I can use her under just about any circumstance!

7of 10 Ranking!

I tried the '05 version and the '07 version of PQ as samples on my wrists and didn't care for either one, though I usually love BPAL rose. But there was an artificiality in this that I didn't get from Rose Red (for example) - something almost abrasive.

Then, for whatever reason, one morning I couldn't ignore the 'Pick me!' vibe my imp of PQ was giving. About fifteen minutes after applying, it was love in the form of smooth, perfect rose perfume, like a red rose encased in crystal.

The throw reminded me a bit of the Emathides in terms of strength and general deliciousness (NOT the notes or feeling) - that wonderful scent experience that isn't at all the same nose-to-wrist as it is floating around in the air.

I think I might have a new favorite rose scent.

Well, it's like a rose scent, only it works on my skin...

In the bottle: Rose. Very strong, very sweet. More of a Floribunda rather than a Hybrid Tea, I would say; reminiscent of the little low bush carrying large trusses of pink-tinged white flowers that I loved as a child. This is going to go badly on my skin.

On the wrist: I am surrounded by the sweet, wondrous rose scent of my childhood. I await the soap.

Half an hour later: That's odd. I keep catching a whiff of pear drops. Is it a trace of tuberose in the perfume, or is it the mid-morning snack of one of the other people at this desk?

One hour later: It... hasn't turned to soap. Nor has it muddied. It's softened somewhat, so is no longer as clear and sharp as it was when I first put it on, but it's still a lovely, sweet, Floribunda rose.

I need every drop I can get my hands on.

Oooooh, I was so hopeful for this. I LOVE rose scents and of all the BPAL blends, there only seems to be one type that turns to soap on me.

... this would be it.

I left it on to see if it would start to behave, but sadly it's a no-go. I'll stick to the rose blends that do work - which is almost every other one. :P So I can't complain too much.

*sends it to swaps*

there's something a little funky at first, in this rose, but i still like it. rose is not my favorite smell to wear, but i still have a fascination for it, and find it calming somehow, so sometimes i crave rose. as i said, there's something that strikes me as slightly funky, or rotting at first, about this rose, in comparison to the freshness of rose red. yet, i still like it's mellowness - it's dreamier to me than rose red, and more subtle. i guess i like them both - this one is softer on my skin, yet has an odd tinge of decay to it. definitely the elegant, quieter counterpart to rose red. i guess i don't have a preference here - i like them both. peacock queen is a very smooth, soothing rose - reminds me of rose water actually.

Peacock Queen is unbelievably regal.

In the imp, it's pure, rich roses, in full bloom. Not the weak roses you buy at the florist, with a perfect little bud. These are the old roses, before the fragrance was bred out of most varieties.

Wet, it's the same pure, intense rose.

Dry, it's still the same, just a little softer. There's little change. It lasts longer than most fragrances have so far on me, though that's not saying much. But I didn't reapply for five hours: only Mouse has lasted that long on me.

If you love roses, I think Peacock Queen is the scent for you. When I first smelled it, I thought, "Yes! This is how roses are supposed to smell!" It's too intense for everyday wear, at least for me, but it's divine. I wish I had gone ahead and ordered a bottle: I don't think the imp I got from the decant circle is going to be enough!

I'll probably order a 5 mL after Christmas...

Edited by MaidMirawyn

In the bottle, it's ROSE. It's a full-bodied, gorgeous rose. I don't get a "red" vibe from this, weirdly, I get more of a pink and white vibe. But then those are my favourite kinds of roses so maybe that's just me.

Wet, on my skin, it's the rose from Hope without the Antique Lace-esque vanilla. It's sweet and velvety and undeniably feminine, very intense and, well, rosey.

As this dries, there's little change. It gets softer, with an edge of sweet powder, but I think that's my skin chemistry more than anything, and it's certainly not bad.

This is a perfect rose perfume. It's a perfect, gorgeous rose. I agree with MaidMirawyn's assertion that "this is how roses are supposed to smell!" I also agree that there's not a lot of complexity to this scent, but again, it's absolutely perfect the way it is.

This is my holy grail of rose scents, and I may need to find myself another bottle of this before it goes away. :P

I am so very disappointed with Peacock Queen.

The scent is gorgeous, a very sophisticated, fresh, and full-bodied rose... but it makes me sneeze! I tested a small amount by swiping the cap with a q-tip, and then onto my skin, and I lasted 10 minutes before I was forced to scrub it away. Such a shame, because it really is a beautiful scent.

*edited to remove swaps reference

Edited by Leopard403

In the imp: voluptuous rose is right - this is gorgeous!

On my skin, there's something velvety soft to it - wet, on my skin, it's far more innocent than imperious.

Once it dries, the haughtiness becomes more apparent - compared to Rose Red's outdoor, still-growing rose, this is a rose in a vase in a beautiful, ornate room.

Peacock Queen 2007 (although I have also tried out 2005, but for me the two version are very alike)

I really love rose, it's one of my most favourite notes, but I'm now aware of the fact that it doesn't always work in every blend for me. Peacock Queen, as wonderful as it is, is one of those blends. This is your quintessential rose, a bit haughty and regal. On me it's sharp, a bit soapy and just generally does not make me feel very happy. I wanted to try out this years version just in case, but not much has changed and I still can't wear it.

I absolutely loved Peacock Queen. I bought this and Rose Red to compare, and though I really loved the unique greenness of Rose Red, PQ was just so beautiful and elegant on my skin. Where Rose Red is the scent of a rose bush in bloom, Peacock Queen is the scent of rose perfume--beautiful, confident, perfume.

I can see why others have said PQ is almost a single note--but it isn't. PQ has a quiet complexity. It is definitely all rose all the time, but the nature of the rose changes subtly from the pink freshness of a tea rose to the full bloom redness of a rose on her way out. The scent mutates constantly, moving from one end of its spectrum to another, but it happens so subtly that I can see how it could be easily missed. But it does happen. And that's what makes this scent such a joy for me.

It's probably the most beautiful rose I've ever worn. It has a velvety, almost spicy dry down that makes me feel womanly and sexy. Love it.

Edited by Persephanise