Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Glory and Majesty, Kokab, God’s Judgement.

straight up carnations! Almost a little spicey. No morphing on the drydown. :)

(Resurrected Version)

In the imp, I can detect spicy, creamy carnation. When I put it on and it is still wet, I smell the stems and leaves- greenery- of the carnation, but it's a creamy green-ness. As it dries, that spiciness comes out more, and I get some amber as well. (I think amber- not quite vanilla). Hmm- I have tried the original and found it to be a lot like Morocco. Maybe once the new stuff ages a bit the green-ness will give way to more sweet creaminess. We shall see.

For the resurrection.

I don't think there's much I can add really. It's a creamy carnation; there is a smoothness to it that keeps it from smelling like the flower. This isn't a freshly cut carnation by any stretch. I'm getting a bit of powderyness to it, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, imo.

I'm very glad this hopped into my cart on the last day; I like it quite a lot. :)

This is for the Resurrection.

I honestly had to go through and look at the reviews because it doesn't smell on me the way I thought it would. I get none of the carnations. :cry2: I love me some carnations, and that's one of the reasons I bought it.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a lovely scent. It's very ... deep on me. I can smell amber (reminiscent of O), maybe a touch of vanilla, and some wood. Maybe sandalwood? Not sure. It's almost like a polished wood though, like in Store Time @ DD. I really am getting a lot of O out of this.

The throw on Hod is just ridiculous. I put this on at like 7am, it's now 11am and I can still smell it perfectly. I don't even have to get close. I get a whiff whenever I move. Usually I slather, today I just put a bit on my wrists since I wasn't sure how it would go ... and that's all I've put on. I'm sure if I put a little bit on all my usual places I'd be wafting around in a cloud of Hod. And once I figure out how much I like this scent, might not be a bad thing.

Edit: This is now aged 4 or 5 months and I must say - aging has only made it better. The comparison to O is still there, however it is more just the amber note and vanilla, but it does not have the, um, sexual imagery that O has. This is now a very nicely blended, sweet, slightly spicy perfume that wafts wonderfully around me. It still has a wonderful throw to it so that a little goes a long way.

Edited by claudia6913

I had been dying to get a bottle of this for ages, especially because I had always heard it compared to the spicy carnations in Lush's potion lotion, which was a scent I adored. This is the resurrected version.

Ohh, yes, definitely similar on my skin! Spicy carnation, extremely reminiscent of Lush's Potion lotion. There is something else in this though that I cannot put my finger on. Maybe it's some kind of amber. I fear this may dry down powdery on me...though wet, it is pretty close to Potion.

Yep, to me this is like a slightly less sweet, slightly more powdery/amber Potion lotion. A nice spicy carnation scent. Very nice!

i have a bag that i put all of my to be tested imps and testers into, and i pick one out every night to be tested the following day. currently the bag almost can't be closed, and i'm falling more and more behind on my testing pile (what can i say? i love circular swaps lol).

doublehelix was nice enough to rehome a very full tester of hod (original).

in the imp: carnation and rose. strange. i'm recognizing these two notes from the bottom notes of another blend i just tested recently but i can't place which one.

wet: almost a carnation sn. very little rose-thankfully, normally i amp it to gag inducing levels. a hint of vanilla very much at the bottom of this.

dry: ...and it's gone. or almost. it's very very faint. it's like the far out dry down of something. the carnation is doing odd things on my skin as well, though it may be my hormones- spicy notes sometimes go plastic on me when the sharks are circling.

i'm really glad that i got a chance to test this since it's at least a minor bpalicorn, but it's going to be given a chance to be tested by a friend who wanted to sniff it and then it's going to be rehomed to someone who can actually wear and you know smell it.

Hod Resurrected smells completely different in the bottle and on my skin. In the bottle it smells like freshly crushed raw green carnations. On my skin, it becomes an amazing creamy spicy carnation scent. I can detect hints of vanilla, almond, and amber. The throw lasts all day. So beautiful.

:evol:

Warm, a bit of a baking scent, like the cinnamon cookies are cooling on the countertop. God judges me worthy of cookies? Cool!

Like other reviewers mentioned, I had heard comparisions of Hod to Lush's Potion scent (which is one of the few florals I not only tolerate, but love). However, I didn't find them all that similar, either in the bottle or on my skin.

Wet: Hod Res. is a little metallic--if it is meant to represent G-d's judgment, perhaps the metallic feeling is the scales, weighing the lives and deeds of humans? Comparing Hod to Potion is a little tough for me; whereas Potion is sexy & lush, Hod feels aloof and sophisticated. I don't get a lot of carnation, honestly. Also, while I don't smell cinnamon, there's something in this that makes my skin warm & a little prickly--which cinnamon likes to do. This has a very high-end feel to me, and is completely different from what I expected.

Dry: A little more of the carnation comes out, but I'm still not getting any creamyness that other reviewers noticed. It's an interesting scent, and fits the concept well, but not the single note carnation I was expecting.

2-3 hours after application: Hod has completely morphed into the most beautiful rendition of amber: not perfumey amber, but actual amber resin (one of my favorite scents in the world). It's worth keeping just for the final stage, I think, even though I didn't love the initial scent like I thought I would. Were this to truly represent the Divine's judgment of me, I would be pleased. Such a beautiful end result must surely mean that I was not found wanting! :wub2:

In the bottle – A sweet, incensy carnation

Wet on me – Softly incensy carnations

Dry on me – That soft carnation scent; slightly spicy, slightly incensy and slightly creamy remains throughout

Overall – For me this didn’t really live up to the hype. It’s pleasant enough, but it really didn’t grab me

Hod (Res.) was basically pure Carnation. From the bottle, to the skin, to the drydown. Wet, I got a soft background of vanilla, until the carnation had to go and stomp it out. 10 minutes until it faded away 2.5 hours later, it was like a carnation SN.

In the bottle it's a little...off-putting. :eek: Smells like...fertilizer? Just a little, though. On me is a different story. It's very creamy clove and carnation. Reminds me a lot of Alice. I will happily finish my bottle but I don't think I'll have to hunt another one down.

This is for the resurrected version of Hod.

I bought a decant of this last year because I had discovered that carnation was quickly becoming one of my favorite notes. I'd heard that this was basically the go to carnation scent and so I was quite interested. When I finally tested it, however, I could barely smell it all - my skin just ate it up. What I could smell initially was a very "low" carnation note, with a slightly metallic edge, but it went away POOF too quickly, far too quickly to really come to any conclusions.

A year later, I decided to give this guy another go, and either my skin chemistry has changed (totally possible, taking different medications than I was a year ago) or age has improved Hod for me. I still get that very low pitched carnation, but it is stronger initially and doesn't disappear! It has less of that metallic bite, but a little is still there - I picture this scent as a very dusty but still luminescent silver (so much so that I keep being surprised when I'm rooting through the imp box and the handwriting on the label is in brown ink and not silver). This doesn't scream, but has enough of a throw that I'm catching lovely, sweet lilts of it as I go through the day. Several hours later it is still distinctively carnation, sweet, and slightly powdery (but not too much). It hovers ever so slightly above my skin.

This is a really pretty (if somewhat subtle) blend, and if I weren't 1)lazy and 2)poor, I'd probably track down a bottle. As it is, I'll happily use up my decant when I'm needing a carnation fix. St. Germain disappeared out from under me when I wasn't paying attention this summer, and while Hod isn't exactly the same (lacking the citrus bite, less spicy, more creamy), they do share a yummy soft carnation note that I really enjoy.

Edited by starryeyedcrocodile

The description of the scent does not really speak about the perfume oil...this one was raved about so much I had to get it...all the other reviews are correct: creamy, spicy carnation..never though carnation would be a perfume note that I LOVE :wub2: but OMG it is AMAZING..this warms into the skin morphing into a perfect cream-spice-floral that you cannot really tell what note is what but just "this smells incredible". Can see why this is such a beloved bpal scent.

I received a decant in a swap and I don't know if this is original or resurrected.

I'm not a floral lover but I like carnation because of it's spiciness. Hod is a creamy lightly spiced floral, and I can't say that anything in particular stands out. The notes are very well blended. I could slather this on the rare occasion that I'm feeling feminine, if I can find a bottle. :wub:

I, too, bought Hod Res because of the comparisons to Potion. And I can smell the similarities--carnation, of course, but Hod also has... amber? honey? both? rose? There's something here that is just a tiny bit off and prevents me from wanting to wear it. I suppose I'll pass it along to someone who'll love it.

Oh, man.

Carnation is one of my favorite notes so I was super excited to snag a bottle of Hod Resurrected on the forum. And let me say, it does not disappoint. In the bottle and wet, it's OMFGCARNATION. Spicy and creamy, yum. I'd have been happy with what was effectively single note carnation, but as it dries this amazing creamy vanilla-amber blends with the spicy floral and elevates Hod from really pretty to holy grail status. Lots of BPAL oils are faint on me, but this has tons and tons of throw. This is a huge, huge win and possibly a new favorite.

In the bottle:

Light carnation and a bit of cream.

Wet:

Carnation with a slightly "off" note... maybe the metallic note another reviewer mentioned?

Drydown:

The "off" note is dissipating as it dries down, but I was really expecting more carnation from this. I don't know what I am smelling, but so far it is not love.

Dry:

This dries down very faint and creamy on me. It's a faint, creamy amber scent with almost no carnation at all. It's already fairly aged, but maybe I'll hold onto it for a while longer anyway just to see what happens. However, I foresee a future in my swap bucket for this one.

Thoughts before testing: Carnation is one of my most favorite notes ever, and so I just had to try Hod.

Wet: Pure spicy carnation! I'm in heaven!

Dry down: I get a hint of greenery, but it's still all carnation all the time in the best way possible.

Dry: The carnation becomes backed by something a little creamy. I'm shocked at how much I'm in love with this.

Final thoughts: Hod lasts all day, all night, and well into the next morning on me, which is so rare for any perfume. It sticks close to my skin (which I much prefer) and is simply beautiful. The amount of love I feel for this blend is a little crazy. I love it alone, but I also adore it layered over Dorian.

Verdict: This will be the first BPAL that I try to find back ups of. Yeah, it's serious :wub2:

This review is for the 2009 resurrected version.

Imp: Carnation! And a bit of other spice..... ginger maybe?

On my skin, this is a spicy, gingery carnation. The baking-type spices are amping on me, though, and I'm not getting as much as carnation as I'd like. There's a bit of a cream note that's going slightly sour, but that fortunately fades as it dries down. This is nice, but I actually think I prefer Morocco and Alice for carnation. GC wins again! Amazing! o_o

Edited by sunlitgarden

ITI: Carnation, a touch of vanilla, and something spicy or ash-like.

Wet: It is very mush a creamy carnation stem and carnation flower scent. There still is a hint of spicinesss, like star anise, that remains under the top notes.

Dry: The vanilla is a little more on the amber side, but I don't think it is the note of amber in HOD because it hasn't gone powdery on my skin, which 90% of ambers do. There still is a sweetness from the carnation and just a little spice.

2009 Res. version, received the bottle in a swap.

Wet in bottle and wet on skin this smells like pine to me. Yeah. That's what I thought too. Then I smacked my head and realized it was "wet" carnation. Thanks to the single note for making me realize that. XD

I put it on skin, and on my boyfriends too because it smelled masculine in the bottle to me. However, on the two of us, it went very different paths. Boyfriend: Ate any trace of cream and left behind the faintest, barest, vaguest "spice" ever. Probably a leftover carnation/cinnamon combo if the other posts are right. On Myself: It got darkly creamy, I was engulfed by carnation and some kind of vanilla yum. I want to say it's Tonka in this, because it didn't get creamy vanilla until a good 20 minutes of wearing it. Tonka is the only scent I've had on my skin that does that. It also has a sort of natural "spice" to it that could explain some of the scents I can't quite hit. But at the same time, there MUST be amber or some similar acting scent that's adding a level of babypowder-ness to the scent. It certainly makes it softer, warmer, more balanced. It takes the sting out of the spice.

I wanted to adore Hod. But it morphed a lot on me. From pine, to cream, to sweaty man pits, to plastic, to baby powder. It was a confusing time for us all. It reminded me in some strange way of Diabolical Offspring (Dark Del). The overall feel of that scent that made me dislike it, is the same one in this. Who knew.

Edited by Aveya

Resurrected

Wet: Creamy, sweet carnation. The carnation is not quite as strong as I had anticipated. It's present for sure though, and I am really enjoying this.

Dry: Something weird has happened. There's something just....off...on my skin. Kind of metallic? Something in here isn't agreeing with my chemistry. Which is sad, because when I go back and sniff it in the bottle, it is beautiful creamy carnation goodness. I will likely try this another time before giving up on it. It's SO GOOD in the bottle.

ETA:

Ok, take 2! Two days later. It's settled from the mail.

Wet: Really lovely carnation, creamy...is it amber maybe? Some vanilla? Honey? I don't know. It's sweet and creamy carnation, and it's beautiful. If it stays this way I will be totally sold.

Dry: Still love it! Whatever was off before is not today, yay! It's lighter with less throw than I would like. But I didn't really slather. It's lovely, a perfect carnation scent I will need to test it again to make sure it's going to be consistently good on my skin.

A couple of hours later this is a glorious warm amber and carnation scent. Keeper!

Edited by LizziesLuck

Hod (original)

In the Bottle: creamy sweet spices and carnation petals.

Wet: Gorgeous, STRONG, sweet and creamy spices and soft incense, similar to Morocco and Eve, maybe louder and more golden than Eve, because she is an incredibly subdued and complex scent! Also, in place of rose in Eve, there’s gently spiced up carnation. Almost immediately though, it morphs into a foodier kind of scent and almost reminds of the spices I get in Butter Rum Cookie with Morocco instead of the golden buttery note, though it too, settles quickly. There’s a vanilla note and a subtle amber note that reminds me of the chemistry reaction I get with snake oil and I can detect a subtle similarity here. It’s become quite sweet and verrrry golden, flecked with foody baking spices.. I also think a rich, non-floral honey must be in here because it's amping up a slight snake oil vibe. This scent feels somewhere between O and Morocoo. The carnation is just so beautifully milky and creamy and spicy. I feel like this is a little more ambery and golden version of Morocco Haha. More amber and honey in this now smells like aged O (amber and honey) + carnation.

Drydown: The drydown actually reminds me more of Alice now, with the milky carnation and spices coming through, with an evenshot of foody baking spices equally present. It’s so so so beautiful if I don’t inhale deeply... and if i do, it ends up smelling like a more golden snake oil with spicy sweet carnation.

TL;DR: Creamy spicy spices with carnation, honey, vanillic amber, and soft incense

Edited by celestia