Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon’s blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

This was one of the first scents I got in my pack of imp's ears from BPAL. I was concerened about the scent in bottle, as the clove really produced an aniseptic, catch in the back of the throat scent, that I did nto like, and teh hubby hated.

Luckily I persevered, and on dry down, that clove just dissipated on my skin, and what was left was a wonderful, thick, complex scent blend. The hubby likens it to the mixed smell of incences in a "New Age" shop. It's now become his favorite, and I just ordered a full bottle. :)

This was in my first imp pack, mostly because I was drawn to the idea of a perfume that smelled of blood. This scent does evoke this, I definitely get the metallic twinge, and the heady smell of blood, before the clove sweetens it out and reminds me of clove cigarettes. It reminds me of a story I read once, where a vmpire killed in a goth club.

I'm really into the darker "huskier" scents (as I've seen Blood described), so I was extremely excited about this imp.

In the vial, Blood smells very sweet. I got almost all cherry, but with some unidentifiable spiciness creeping around behind it - I'm assuming that's the clove.

Wet, the sweetness dies down a tiny bit, veering away from cherry and more into dragon's blood. Quickly the scent becomes very... sharp? For lack of a better word. Despite the sharpness, Blood is extremely thick and smooth - which I'm attributing to the cherry and myrrh. (Call me crazy, but in my mind the cherry and myrrh actually seem to giving the "sharpness" some "round edges"...?) It's very pleasant.

During the dry-down the cherry-sweetness and myrrh seem to back off more and more, eventually leaving only a little hint of dragon's blood and a whole lot of clove. It becomes slightly irritating to my nose, and when I sniff my wrists I can even FEEL the scent in the back of my throat. Not pleasant.

Dry, a little bit of the sweetness comes back - entirely cherry I think - but there is still WAY too much clove going on. By this point my throat is getting incredibly irritated and even my eyes are just not having it. My skin naturally brings out the spice notes in perfume, but this is just ridiculous.

I was really hoping Blood would work on me, but it's just really really not.

However, I'm thinking this will maybe work really well on my boy, since he's usually very good in clove. We'll give it a try, all is not lost!

In the imp: Cherry candy! Warm, dark, sweet cherry candy.

On my skin: Cherry cola with hints of clove. There's a metallic tint, too... wearing these makes me feel like a very chic, feminine vampire. :lol:

Imp: Dragon's blood and fish oil

Wet: Fish oil and dragon's blood

Drydown: There's something oily and stinky in this blend. I don't smell any myrrh or cherry. :rantrave:

Overall: Big bummer. It sounded like it had so much potential.

This one scared me at first... :eek:

In the imp, I got cherries... way too strong and overpowering.

On my skin, it immediately settled down so that the cherries died down more and a smoky, metallic smell came out.

Drying: Metallic cherries, yup. But surprisingly lovely, I can really see myself wearing this a lot, it's very unique and strangely draws you in more and more.

Dry: Something sweet-ish comes out and balances out the metallic smell very nicely. This has turned out absolutely lovely! Definitely a lesson to me not to judge based on how it smells in the bottle :nod:

:wub:

This was ALL DB all the time on my skin. Thick and heady, with cherry adding an almost oppressive sweetness. The myrrh provided a little reprieve but overall this was a very assaulting scent on me. I didn't much care for it. The clove was barely present here.

It's dbr ... cherry, clove and myhrr. Very spicey and not good for sweet foody me.

bottle: cherry, sooo sweet

wet: I can catch the myrrh and dragon's blood behind the cherry

dry: dragon's blood moving to the front. still no clove.

later: clove! this is interesting, the cherry isn't gone, but it's really tucked completely into the dragon's blood.

Yes.. my review is in here...

Back in December, about 4:30 am, I'm lying in bed, I am wakened and I catch a whiff of something lovely. At first it was a little like Snake Oil but I hadn't used SO in a few days so I thought maybe it was on my comforter or something... then I catch another whiff and I surmise that it's coming from my hand where I had tested some scents earlier in the day.

However, all the scents I tried on that hand had gone into the swap bag because I had hated all of'em.... then I remembered what I had there... 'Blood'

um.. I don't like resins, I thought to myself. There must be some mistake. I must be delusional. I must be dreaming. It's too damn early! Then.. I got out of bed and dug thru the swap bag until I found Blood and I applied it again and then something happened that I had not intended... I liked it! :yum:

A whollop of cherry, mellowed by a trickle of clove... the Dragon's Blood was both thick and warm with a touch of sweetness and an edgy spiciness.

I am a foodie-fruity gal who loooooves Blood. :wub: It's one of my top 5, for sure. Since then I have tried almost all the dragon's blood scents and this is still my fave.

Bottle: Slightly cloying, metallic dragon's blood.

Wet: Oooh... I've had a few bad experiences trying Blood out but this is lovely first on. Spicy, sexy dragon's blood amped up by the cherry.

Dry: Right. Clove. This becomes the all clove all the time show. And something about the clove in this blend makes it very... literal. Uncomfortably so. I like blood accord and I like a lot of the bloodier scents. However this is just... bloody. It smells not so much like literal blood as an approximation of blood and I applaud how literal it translates to its namesake. However, it's just a little too metallic and realistically bloody.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: I appreciate this blend but I also don't really know where I can wear it that is appropriate. If I ever take up a secondary life as a vampire or assassin I have a ready to go scent for it, but as it is, I'm just not feeling it. Interesting and pretty in an odd sort of way but totally not my style.

Blood seems very dense, sweet and powerful. All of that fits the concept, but it's way too much for me as a perfume.

Each note is a strong one. The dragon's blood combines with the cherry to make the scent very red, the myrrh makes it just a little smoky and bitter and then the clove really jumps out.

Unfortunately, it verges upon giving me a headache. I can see how it would really work for the right person, though.

imp: i get the same sort of cherry scent as i do from kabuki, with clove instead of star anise.

wet: overall, this is very similar to kabuki on my skin. but the musk base in kabuki is richer than the dragon's blood base here. this blend is sweeter and lighter (feeling-wise). the scent itself has quite a bit of throw.

dry: unfortunately, all the other notes vanish and leave only dragon's blood. and while not bad, it's not what i was hoping for.

Blood is dragon's blood, first and foremost. The myrrh and the clove come along eventually, and it goes a bit candle-like. Not a keeper.

Wow! I am impressed!!

Usually I am partial to dragons blood, and myrrh usually turns acrid on my skin... but not in Blood!!

The dragons blood is on top, but it is tempered down by the clove, making it spicy instead of that sickly cloying scent that I usually associate with DB. The cherry then sweetens it up just a bit, but not overly so. It isn't a cherry lolly at all. The myrrh is only present in the form of incensy smoke, so it's not sending me running away... yet.

As it dries down though, that nice cherry fades, leaving behind smoky sweet dragons blood. The clove is barely there. I love it in it's wet stages best. Dry, its traditional Dragons Blood and Myrrh :ugh:

This was a really tangy scent on me, which I'm betting was the dragon's blood, when wet and first on the drydown. In the first hour or so, one of my sisters, who was maybe a half foot away from me at the time, asked what scent I was wearing, because she felt it smelled really good on me, so, it's fairly strong at first. Right now, I've had it on for about... seven hours, and it's mellowed out to a sweeter scent, I think a cherryish sort of scent, with maybe a hint of myrrh. It's not my favorite scent, won't be buying more than the imp I got with Sweeney free, but it's worth a wear here and there for me.

ADDED Sept. 6:

Silly, additional warning with this scent. Do NOT wear Blood anywhere near mosquito-infested areas; we have a lot at my work, and I've been wearing this the last few days, and I've noticed a pretty exponential increase in bites than when I've worn, say, Mad Sweeney or Marquise. They like this scent, clearly. :P

In imp: Cherry cough syrup? On the spoon? Something is metallic here.

Wet: Cherries, clove and something dark and lurking.

Dry: Smoky and lingering. Incredibly sexy! The cloves and cherries have melded into something that adds the extra seductive OOMPH holding this together. I feel like a vampire. Sexy and dangerous. And very, very complex.

Later: This is bordering on being cough syrup again, but is just managing to avoid it and being absolutely amazingly intoxicating instead. I could get drunk on this one.

I really like this!

Wet it's super maraschino cherry but as it dries down a metallic copper note comes out that is very reminiscent of real blood. As it dries down you get the clove and myrrh coming to the fore with a soft sweetness leftover from the cherry.

Very impressed with that metallic copper note. It ads a realism to the fragrance that justifies it's name..but of course the other notes make it wearable and enjoyable.

After wearing this all day I have to say I LOVE it..but not in an entirely pure way. The sadist in me was a little too overexcited by that true copper blood note..

Lasting power was excellent on this blend too.

Edited by MinxyMinou

Definitely a "husky" scent. Lots of incense. A little bit of cherry. Smells like maybe something earthy...like clay. And yes, that metallic twinge that is a little bit like actual blood.

I don't wear scents that smell like incense. If that is your type, I think you'd love this. I'm a foody, fruity, floral type so this just isn't for me (but it doesn't smell bad to me, just not my style).

In imp and first wet this smells like Suns Eye's Dragons Blood. (Oh the memories! lalalala waltzing down memory lane here)

Drydown is quite different on me and the spell is broken. This deepens.. waaaayyy deepens. The dragons blood gets so dark you feel like you're being pulled down and the cherry and clove keep you there getting you fat & sleepy. Mmmmmm zzzzzzz.

In Bottle: Hello cherry! Lightened by the myrrh, but mostly cherry.

Wet: Cherry cough drop with a touch of spice from the clove upon first application but it quickly morphs to a spicy resin, with the cherry fading to the background.

Dry: Spicey clove and resin with a subtle sticky sweetness from the cherry.

Notes: A good solid spice, incense scent and fun for anyone looking for a fun morpher! Don't let the "in bottle" scent mislead you on this one.

Blood

The clove overpowers pretty much everything else in this blend, except a teensy hint of cherry and dragon's blood. The combination smells like a Christmas candle to me. Meh.

*This was frimped to me from The Lab!

you know, i felt a little let down by dragon's blood. it gave me a bit of a headache, and although it was interesting, it wasn't something i would wear that often. but i'm glad i didn't dislike it to the point that i would avoid anything with dragon's blood in it, because it seems the lab puts it in tons of blends.

thanks to a generous frimper, i was able to give blood a try. i was excited, i like spicey scents and i thought that the lilac/cherry couch syrup smell of dragon's blood would be helped by clove and myrrh.

in the imp: very cherry dragon's blood. no surprise there.

the clove and myrrh really start to develop and bloom. its warm. i would say the cherry really fades into the background on this scent, and it is not gourmand at all. it seems that spicey notes have helped to dry the juicy sweet cherry note that was coming out of the imp. i wouldn't say that this blend gives me a dry impression, but it isn't a wet scent either. there is balance. the dragon's blood isn't overly floral or intense.

i really think i like this one.

Here goes, my first review ever for the fist BPAL perfume I have tried.

I was looking forward to blood, because from the description and the reviews it sounded like something I would really like to wear.

Opening the bottle: Cherries, and clove, and dark. Nice.

On my skin: For the first few seconds I am overpowered by this dark, heavy scent that feels as if I'm in a church. I have no idea what dragon's blood resin smells like, so I am guessing this is the myrrh, or the dbr, or both.

2 minutes after I can smell the cherries! And they're gone as fast as they appeared.

Cooldown: The church smell again; it is dark, heavy, nice. Strong. For some reason it feels warm and comforting, making me want to sleep.

After an hour and a half of smelling it up to my brain, it tones down, and turns into a subdued form of the church smell, with a soapy base - oh well, at least it didn't turn completely soap.

My brother could smell the cloves, I could not. He also said it reminded him of incense.

It is nice, and I like it, even though I had expected it to smell otherwise. I will keep wearing it, yes, but on less hot and summery days (dark scents with this weather are a bit too much. XD)

Edited by Kashi

I have an old imp of Blood that I just love. The oil in it has a deep and rather cool red shade, just like fresh blood, almost as cool a shade as Dragon's Blood single note. It's sweet, bloody, incensey and a bit spicy. A kind of intense skin scent on me.

However, all the newer imps and the bottle I got from the lab seem to be different. Their oil has got a different colour, almost not red at all, more of a mid-town brown. They smell sweet and spicy, but the tang of blood is lost and some of that incensey-ness, too. I think they have less dragon's blood or the dragon's blood note used differs in strength and character from the old one. It's a pity because with the cherry and spice notes coming out stronger, the scent seems to get a bit more dull. It loses the edge that made it interesting to me in the first place.

It's still a lovely, pleasant scent, and I'll go on re-testing it as the bottle ages, but I'd also really wish I could find some of the old style Blood around. It was so perfectly balanced for me.