Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blood

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

I concur.

From the in the bottle I thought it it was going to be another dragon's-blood-with-something-added, but...

On the skin it's and excellent balance of what I discern as cherry wood, clove, dragon's blood, and myrrh. I don't know if that covers it all, or if there are other untold spices in there, but those are the main notes that I can identify.

The overall feeling is a very pleasing sweet spiciness. The immediate fruit (the tang of the blood) fades into a deeper sweetness. In this way it makes me think, yes, it's the rush of the vampire's bite, and then the relaxing into the oldness of it.

At first it is the darkest, spiciest dragon's blood blend I've ever smelled. And then the cherry powders out and the clove disappears. It's still nice, but not nearly as nice as it is in the imp. Sigh.

in vial: rich, darkly sweet

wet: this has depth. leans toward masculine. I can smell all the notes. The clove gives this a hint of spice and compliments the myrrh and db.

dry: this has depth, richness and smells very red. I am generally not a fan of dragon's blood so I should have known this would not be for me.

HOLY MARY MOTHER OF KITTENS is this fabulous! I smell delicious. NO ONE should smell this delicious! Husband says I'm obsessed, because I kept snuffling myself *grin*

Tried: 2008.05.22

Received as an in-order gift! Thank you!

In the bottle: Black cherry spiced with clove.

Makes me think of: Mmm... cherries...

Just applied: Spiced cherry with a sweet resinous and slightly smokey scent.

Makes me think of: Eating freshly cooked cherry pie near the fireplace on a cool autumn evening. Very warming.

Drying: The cherry fades a bit but is still present. The resins grow a bit stronger, remain sweet, but grow a bit more smokey.

Makes me think of: It's calm and very warm...

Dried and fading: Smokey sweet resins with a very slight cherry aftertaste.

Makes me think of: I want to stay inside all day and relax...

Final impressions: I really like this one. I expected it to be more feminine, so I had not ordered it, but it turned out to be much more gender neutral. A comforting base, a bit of spice to give it warmth, and the cherry brings it to life. Also, the cherry does not smell like candy to me, but like real black cherries...

A possible 5ml on my side! Makes me want to try some other "blood" scents, also...

Edited by alraunen

This comes on predominantly clove-y, but the dragon's blood and cherries soon come out to play, sweetening and warming it and making this a deep, sweet, spicy, almost smoky scent. I like it a lot and am awaiting a bottle! :P

Blood, what I would have given to have had you in high school! Unfortunately my tastes now are less gothic than they were then...

My Blood was a frimp from the lab that came with my lunacy order. Yay lab! Frimps make me so happy.

First on Blood had a strong cherry-dbr scent that I really liked. Unfortunately it faded very quickly on me, until nothing remained but faint cloves in a "clean" base. A few days ago I would have said this turned soapy on my skin, but my recent Hay Moon disappointment taught me what "soapy" really smells like. Blood just smells faintly spicy and pleasantly clean. It's not bad, but there are many other scents that are better on me.

Unless one of my friends wants my imp I might keep it around just to sniff the yummy right out of the bottle...

this was a frimp i thought i'd try.

first - cherry, but it fades fast.

for a few minutes i get to enjoy the clove, one of my favorite spice scents - and it doesn't instantly vanish into my skin like a lot of spicy oils seem to. the other notes make it a sweet, sort of smoky clove.

once fully dry, though, it's pretty much just dragon's blood, which is not my fave. this is the best blend containing it that i've tried yet, however.

This was a frimp (yay!) and it was a lovely surprise I was going to order an imp with my next order. Go lab!

In imp: Dragon's blood sweetness, with a little drop of myrrh in the background.

Wet: Dragon's blood, which makes my brain go "nom nom nom nom nom". Now there something hot and spicy coming out. I was going to say cinnamon but a split second later it's like TADA!--and it's obviously clove.

Dry: Wow, clove made a dramatic entrance and really does not want to be ignored. The trickle of clove in the description is a huge gushing river of clove on me. Myrrh and dragon's blood have been pushed to the back and are being meek back-up singers. After several hours clove seems to give up and fades off a bit leaving a really huffable dragon's blood scent. :P

I thought I didn't like dragon's blood but it's starting to seriously grow on me. We got off on the wrong foot with blends that didn't work and I started blaming dragon's blood, but I think I may owe it an apology. I'm going to hang on to this for a while in the hopes that the clove will mellow out with time.

I got this as a frimp with my last order and have been putting off trying it, but I was in an adventurous mood today so I thought, lets give it a try.

In the bottle: The dragon's blood is there. I smell cherry and something spicy, must be the clove.

Wet: Dragon's blood. The cherry fades off and I smell cinnamon and wait. Wait? What? What does that smell remind me of!!?? The dentist!

Dry: I am sitting in a dentist's chair, his assistant has swapped my gums with ...Clove oil...GAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! NO! HELP!!!! I've been strapped to a dentist's chair and there is a huge big needle coming at me. NO!!

So, when I was a little kid I had some very bad experiences with a sadistic dentist right out of Little Shop of Horrors. Oil of Cloves is a common natural analgaesic as well as an anticeptic. I am very unhappy. I do not like walking around smelling like cloves. I love cloves in general, I like them on baked ham. I like cloves poked in oranges. I do not like Oil of Cloves. Therefore, I do not like Blood. Ixnay on the ovesclay and the scent would be great. I love dragon's blood. But Cloves!!! No! No no Blood is not for me.

In the IMP: Cherry. Like the liquid cherry stuff inside a chocolate covered cherry.

Wet on my skin: Spicy cherry, with an incensy floral undertone.

Drydown: Hello clove and dragon's blood. This is yummy, a good mix. The cherry fades away first. Occasionally i catch a whiff that gives me the impression that i've been too agressive flossing my teeth and i've caused my gums to bleed... that sweet metallic blood taste in the mouth, that's the overall effect of this blend. It's well blended and appropriately named.

After a few hours: This mellows out to a nice sweet warm comforting myrrh. I'm starting to realize i really enjoy the scents that have a myrrh base to them, they last longer on me and work really well with my chemistry. Hooray for myrrh. :P

4/5

Edited by AthenaRose

Very thick, rich and spicy. On me, I am getting a lot of dragon's blood and clove with a woody undertone. It is quite dark and very smooth and also has a surprising metallic undertone to it. Clove can be so gorgeously warm and gives this blend a bit of heat. During the drydown, I am starting to detect the faintest whiff of cherry. BPAL's cherry is one of my favorite notes so I am hoping the cherry becomes more prominent on me. I think Beth really captured the essence of blood--someone's rich and very luxurious blood--in this one.

This one smells exactly like the description. It has a lot of Dragon's Blood, but a little something more... wet in it. It a very rich scent.

This is a surprisingly yummy scent...

Overall cherry yumminess. The myrrh and clove are subtle enough on my skin that they don't ruin the fruity sweetness of the cherry and dragon's blood.

I will definitely need to get a bottle of this stuff. :P

Imp: Fruity and spicy and a dragon hiding in a cave

Wet On Me: oh the sweetness of the cherry and the spicy of

clove and myrrh

Drying Down: more of the clove now over the dragon’s blood.

Then the myrrh..the cherry fading.

Dry: mostly myrrh resin and sweetness. I love this!

In the imp ... thick, sweet .... an absolute dead ringer for Plunder, even though this makes no sense whatsoever, since the only thing they have in common is clove.

On my skin .... ack! The sweetness is completely gone -- it's turned instantly potent ... almost acrid. Maybe even a tad metallic (which, of course, suits the name just fine). I wonder if it's the myrrh. Myrrh sometimes turns me off. Not at all sure if this is going to suit me.

In ten minutes ... phew! The bite is gone. But now it's pure spice. Not at all sweet, just a swirl of spice, bound by an undertone I can't place. Is that the dragon's blood resin? Could be, as I'm not all that familiar with that note.

In a half hour ... on me, this is now pure clove. I like it, it's just not what I expected.

In an hour ... it's softened now. A much lighter fruit-spice blend. Maybe the cherry finally came out - I didn't catch it at all before.

Overall: What a ride! I haven't had a scent that had quite as much "motion" as this one. It's fitting though, subtly conveying the movement of blood through one's veins. I will definitely enjoy the rest of the imp, but I don't think this one gets a slot on my big bottle wish list. Too exhausting!

This was the first one I tried after getting my imps, I was a bit nervous because I really wanted to like it and sniffing the imp I wasn't sure I would.

I don't remember exactly my thoughts when it was wet and what i smelled when, I will add those notes later as I plan on wearing this quite often...

What I remember was after it dried down I could not stop sniffing my wrist... Every minute another sniff, I could not get enough. If I so were to be carried away by nice friendly men in white coats telling me everything is aaallright, it would be worth yet another sniff, and another and another until they tie my hands up behind my back and then i'd try to acrobatically think of a new way to soothe my new found addiction.

So basically.. I'm in love! I absolutely love and adore this!!!! 5ml bottle coming over as soon as I got money to spare again, it's absolutely wonderful, I can't get enough!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Wore it again today so I'm back to add the notes as I mentioned =)

I got a bit distracted since this perfume seems to take hold of me and releave me from reality while I'm busy moaning and biting my lip each time I inhale the scent. But anyway after a while I realised it's like incense! You know, when you buy your favorite incense and you smell it before you light it and wonder if it will smell the same when its lit. But it never does rly, though the smoke scent of insence is something I also love but that's not what this smells like. I also don't know why I've become so addicted to the scent but I definitely am, after a few hours I found myself losing grasp of reality and nearly letting my mouth have its way with my wrist, tho when it got in contact i exhaled and found myself in reality again... Repeat.

Um anyway so that's what it smells like to me. After about 5.5 hours however it changes a bit and it's mainly resin I smell, with a touch of cherry in the background. I'm not very good at picking out scents since I don't know what the ingredients are supposed to smell like, thus I don't know if I smell dragon's blood, cloves or myrr. But definitely resin. And I do recognize cherry as well, especially after meeting Blood Kiss. Now it's about seven hours since I put it on and I still smell it but it's sweeter now, more cherry than it was after 5.5hours. I've figured cherry likes me and doesn't fade for quite some time so since that now is the main thing I smell I reckon it's starting to fade.

Sorry that this became suuuuch a very long edit, but well I relinquish my responsibility of what this perfume makes me do... :P

Edited by BishouNoTeresa

first wet sniff-- it seems like something slightly bitter and artificial, like caramel coffee (the artificial kind).

However, on and drying it's like a tamer, juicer? blood kiss. It really goes on splendidly with Brides of Dracula, and I'm curious to see if it improves the throw. It smells perfectly like flowers, amber, and rotting blood on someone's sweet breath. Damn, I wish I'd ordered this in time for Halloween!

When I first smelled this in the imp, it smelled thick, strong and gooey. And after a deep inhale, two seconds later, it really did smell like its name. Picked at random from my most recent BPAL purchase, here's how it worked for me:

In the imp: Thick and strong - note to self only use a little bit.

Wet on the skin: Just a few swipes go a LONG way with this scent. The cherry came out strong. Within 5 minutes, I was afraid I'd get a headache from the overpowering cherry/clove scent so I ran my wrists under running water, hoping to get the bulk of the scent off.

Dry down (after rinsing off): The cloves take over, the cherry goes far into the background and the other notes balance out the cloves just enough to not smell too spicy. The cherry doesn't go the route of being cough syrup cherry, but instead balances out the blend to add that bit of sweetness to the mix.

Final thoughts: This is an excellent Christmas scent, and it actually worked on me in the end despite my HUGE distaste for cherry smells of any kind. Only warning is: a little goes a LOOOOONG way, which is good because I don't anticipate this being a big bottle purchase, but I'd like enough of it to continue to wear when the feeling strikes me. Also, I think this is a scent that a lot of people would comment on since it is unique in that, personally, I haven't come across many perfumes at department stores that have the clove note in it.

Husband's reaction: When I first put it on, he thought it was "alright", but strong. When it dried down he said he "liked" it.

First test with a fresh bottle.

Wet: Thick, red, and syrupy cherry at the start, and soon takes on a bit of spice as well as a resinous quality. I like it so far even though it may be off-putting to some.

After a few moments: Less syrupy now. The cherry is not as prominent but still a little sweet and vaguely smokey and... D: oh. Creeps me out how the clove/whatever-Dragon's-Blood-contains makes this eerily reminiscent of that feeling which drying blood has. That peculiarly thick, almost-powdery texture that catches in the throat... it's not like someone's going to recognize that I smell like "blood" so much as this captures the impression of that vital fluid so very well.

Several minutes later: There's a bit of a floral something peeking out, and unfortunately my skin is quite looking forward to turning it to soap...

... yep, there's a slightly soapy undertone now (washing the blood out, are we?). Ahh, I wish my skin wouldn't do that. :cry2: I'm going to hazard a guess that it's due to myrrh or the dragon's blood, the latter with which I am unfamiliar. I still love that bitterness from the spice though.

The second time I tested this, that "soapiness" seemed more metallic to me, which is... fitting. :twisted: Definitely evocative of the namesake. So cool! I don't think it's going to win me any complements but I don't really mind.

Dragon's blood doesn't really excite me, but I think it could be interesting with the added notes, especially clove and cherry, so I am actually pretty interested to give this one a shot.

In the imp this is more of a Sweet thick syrupy cherry with dragon's blood, than visa versa. Yep, on my skin, strong cherry syrup, kind of like grenadine, with a hint of clove and dragon's blood. I actually quite like it-not your typical dragon's blood blend at all!

I don't think I would purchase this, but I did like it a lot. As it dries, the clove really comes to the forefront! Yum! Strong clove and sweet syrupy cherry [note on FULL drydown the sweet cherry fades a lot] over soft dragon's blood. Sweet and sexy! Beth really nailed this one!

This one is a spicy clove cherry, the spiciness due to the dragon's blood resin. It isn't overwhelming as it tends to be. It's actually my favorite DBR blend I think.

Which is encouraging, since I'm about to tackle the Ars Draconis line.

This was a frimp from the lovely KateW.. and to be honest, I possibly never would have tried it because although I love dragon's blood resin, myrrh and cherry, I'm terrified of clove being too strong because my skin tends to amp anything spicey. But I am so glad I got to try this, because it is abso-freakin-lutely divine!

In the imp, it's a stunning deep copper colour that almost shines. When it first goes on.. the main notes to hit me are the dragon's blood and the clove but neither of them are whoooooaaaaaaa strong.. more a velvety rich warmness, the balance of the two in this blend must have been quite challenging, but to my nose it's absolutely perfect. Then up pops the cherry, sweetening things up a bit, and about five minutes later when I take a deep huff again.. there's the myrrh, which I suspect is where that warmness I first felt is coming from.

This is really gorgeous - it's sweet without being sickly, resinous without being sticky, and smokey without smelling like smoke. It's.. sexy, yeah - that's what it is.. if I snuggled up to the side of someone's neck and discovered they smelt like this, I wouldn't be leaving for a very VERY long time.

I love it when surprise frimps knock my socks off like this just has. I'm gonna have to get a bottle of this, for sure!

This is pretty much the sweetness of dragon's blood. Early on, the cherry and clove make for a tart note that can be detected close to my skin, but the dragon's blood pretty much takes everything over and is the most easily-smelled. It's a durable scent with a nice amount of throw. It reminds me a lot of Wrath. :)

after trying a few other kinds, i decided to try this & then read the description after i'd worn it...i'm so glad i did!

in the vial i got a very sharp, incens-y smell. now i know it's the dragon's blood & myrr. it's not unpleasant, but definitely overpowers the other scents. immediately on me, i could smell something...red?

one of the coolest things; one of my staff sniffed me & said i smelled like cotton candy, or "something sweet & red-flavored", which is what i had been thinking - cherry! i keep getting wafts of it still, hours after the dry-down, so it seems to have great staying power. the clove is in there, but extremely faint, & only exists as this wispy spiciness...it just keeps the cherry from getting to sicky-sweet, which is great.

awesome - a fantastic blend!