Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

In the imp: Spicy and sweet- not in an "Eat me!" sort of way, but in a more disturbing way; like Masabakes without the bitterness. :P

On my skin wet: Well, thankfully it didn't go all bitter like Masabakes does on me. The closest I can call it is cherry cola.

On my skin dry: My skin ate the cherry! In fact, it either ate everything or amped the clove like crazyness. Still, it smells nice...in a pumpkin pie sort of way.

I Probably won't be buying a full bottle of this, but I will use up the imp.

In the imp: Hmm...Stong is all I can think. Nothing's coming out and hitting me on the nose but I'm not great at picking out notes most of the time. Possibly evil cherries? Definate cloves and maybe a pinch of dragon's blood resin.

Wet: WOAH CLOVES. Very, very bitter cloves. But, somehow, irresistable. I keep sniffing it and being half "Argh, need to wash off" and half "ooh, wow!" My main thought at this turn of events was "It's like an addiction to bitterness!"

Drydown: The cloves are retreating a bit, still quite a swirly darkness about this. Quite incensy (DBR?) and the cherries are coming out a little bit now. Can't really smell the myrrh, but there is definately something extra sitting behind the cloves.

About four hours later I could smell the sweetness of the myrrh and a proper cherry note with maybe a little bit of DBR hanging on with some incense. The cloves have completely disapeared! May use it again, but probably not very often. The first stage of cloves is a little too strong for me. But, those vampiric days do pop up from time to time!

It smells exactly like one would expect from the description. With long use, I find it cloying and juvenile, alas..

opening the bottle I smell a deep rich cherry- the scent reminds me of black cherries, not the artificial kind used to make candy, and underneath is the hint of clove and myrhh that almost purrs at me from the depths of the bottle.

wet- it's a bit spicier but the dragon's blood makes it smooth and alluring.

dry- the scent practically throbs with my natural musk, and I have been told I smell exotic and enticing, like an exotic dancer from egypt.

a few hours later- it's faded a bit, but I still smell fantastic, and i still can see people lean over furtively, trying to find out where the alluring scent is coming from!

This is my signature scent, and i love it.

In the bottle: VERY Dragon's Blood, so much so that it borders on cherry cough medicine. A little spice in there as well.

Wet: The spice remained at bay while the two scents that DB always becomes on me do battle: soap and freesia. It was a very interesting and rather unpleasant brawl.

Dry: First it was a nice cherry/freesia thing that is really all I want in dragon's blood. Then the spice came out and it turned into a sort of apple pie thing, with just a little too much air-freshener-esque cinnamon for my taste. That took on a more pleasant incense note, before the whole thing wore off and all there was was a sweet-ish residue that I could only pick up with my nose crushed to my wrist.

Bottom Line: I'm glad this was just an imp. Too confusing, unpredictable, and not my favorite at all. And it faded extremely fast.

I think this has dragon's blood in it. DB on me always goes to old lady soap. It smelled like a combination of soap and potpourri in the most stereotypical grandma house you can imagine. Sad. I really wanted to like this one.

I fell in love with this one right away. Cherry and cloves. Nothing better. And it is ALL cherry and spice on me. It's a warm, dark smell. It lasts for hours on my skin. This is one I'd buy a big bottle of.

This is several of my favourite smells combined. Dragon's blood, myrrh, and clove? Hell yeah, where do I sign up?

In the imp, the cherry predominates, and wet on skin, it's just dragon's blood and cherry and nothing much more.

On drydown, this turns amazing. It's spicy, exotic, and sexy- just a perfect blend, a dream blend. It's mainly dragon's blood. The clove amps up quite a bit but doesn't overwhelm. The cherry sweetens lightly without becoming cloying, and the myrrh smooths it all out so it smells like the perfect incense (I love incensey perfume).

The only minor complaint is that my husband felt that the clove was too strong, and reminded him of a dentist's office. Of course, dentists hardly ever use clove oil as an anesthetic these days, so that's his age showing.

Love it. Adding it to my 5ml wishlist. Definitely one of my favourite dragon's blood blends so far.

As much as I love Dragon's Blood scent, for some reason all of the BPAL I have tried with Dragon's Blood have not worked, which really sucks!

This one was no different. Dragon Blood-scented soap, cleanser, whatever. Ew. No clove, cherry, just cleanser. Ew.

My first review. :P

I'm not catching much cherry on my skin, wet. In the imp it was fairly evident, along with the bitterness of cloves.

There's a terrific incensiness to this. I'm not picking notes out, so much as drinking it in as a whole. This bitterness up close, and farther out this warm, dry incense and spice. It's headshop, but not outrageous headshop. Reminds me somewhat of actual headshops I visited as a child in the 70s, the smell of them, surrounded by all the incense and bongs and all those tacky yet cool blacklight posters in the wild colors, on black velvet-flocked paper.

There's something holding this away from a direct evocation of that, though. Maybe it's the dragon's blood resin. It's sweet as it dries down, but only just a bit; the bitterness is decreasing. It's almost coppery-tasting in the back of the throat as you sniff. Which would make sense as it's blood.

Had this on for several hours now, and while it's gotten fainter, still get good whiffs from it.

Makes me want Lestat to come and give me the Dark Gift. Heh.

I like this one a LOT. It might someday make a 5ml purchase.

In the imp: chunky dark cherry, spice, myrrh a bit chemical-smelling, dragon's blood not strong.

Wet, it’s stronger cherry like in MB:Bloody Mary, but with a slightly poisonous tang. Think the love child of MB:BM and Arachnina. Or Kabuki: the cherry is strong but this is not a sweet scent. Seems like a BPAL signature scent, if you can imagine such a thing. As the scent dries the cherry fades and it becomes deep, spicy, and mysterious clove: yummy.

Upon re-ordering this and wearing it again, I’m not sure I’m as big of a fan of the scent straight. The middle notes become oddly metallic on me every so often.

Bottle: Wet notes are always the most obvious, spicy cherry with a hint of the dragon’s blood.

Wet: More cherry, with a stronger hint of spice.

Drying: the spice and resin becomes more prominent, with the cherry fading into the background. Later, spicy myrrh with the afterthought of cherries.

Dry: almost smoky, and spicy. A little bit sweet as well.

I do love this, but I love it better paired with something else. Last night I tried it with dragon's milk and it was absolutely delightful.

Cherry, just like alot of other people said. Cherry, and dark, in the vial. Definitely "blood". Unfortunately, cherry, as much as i love the way it smells on me, does a very terrible thing on me, it goes "fake". It ends up smelling like plasticky little kids lipstick. It did it with vice, and it is doing it with this. I can live without vice, but this one smells so fantastic wet that I may just save the imp and put it in a locket.

I love dragons blood and cherries, I wish they loved me more.

In the vial: Really strong myrrh. Definitely dragon's blood.

On the skin: Holy cow dragon's blood. Oi. As it begins to dry down it gets very spicy with the clove, almost over-poweringly so. I've had very bad luck with all the Dragon blends (except Milk) but so far this is quite a lot like Dragon's Milk on me. I love clove and I don't get much cherry at all so this might get kept. A very strong blend over-all.

Imp: Cherried dragon's blood. Reeeaaally odd.

On: Ack, sweet! Damp, sugary syruped cherries and some tangy fruityness.

Drydown: All sticky, cloying cherry syrup and sugared clove. Makes me think too much of a melted sunday and is way too sweet on me.

My second round of imps. I open the bottle and get a heavy whiff of sweet myrrh. This instantly reminds me of snake oil and I am in heaven!! I dab a bit on my arm and can smell it very strongly when it's by my side; a heady mix of cherries and myrrh. As it dries the sweetness fades and is starting to smell slightly floral - please NO this was so good to start with! The mix has now turned incensey and I am enjoying it more, it almost has a powdery smell to it. The cherries are no longer at the front and all the smells have mixed together. I can't describe the combined scent, I do like it though, but am a little dissapointed at how much it has changed from when it was wet.

in the imp:*just* like black cherry concentrate, if you've ever been lucky enough to have some. tart, dark cherry yum!

wet on skin: the cherry seems to have all but vanished! odd! now i smell the myrrh- sweet and resinous, but not cloying.

dry down: oohh! the cherry came back, and the clove has dropping into the mix! yes! i'm getting all three, and they are mixing beautifully, no one note ahead of any other.

in all: a really fine dragon's blood blend: sexy, alluring, without being over powering. a nice addition to anyone's collection.

:P

Imp: it's got that dark fruity tingly smell I associate with dragon's blood, and maybe also the cherry.

Wet: Wow. This smells good. Still lightly fruity and spicy, and it's got good throw. I get whiffs of it as I move my arm.

Dry: Light resiny smell with fruity in the background. I'm not sure if I can smell the cloves or not.

In the Bottle: Dragon's Blood and Cherry

On Me: Yum! This is lovely! It turns into a smokey Dragon's Blood, like I just lit some. It is slightly spiced by the myrrh and the clove. I can't smell the cherry at all. yay! I see this being a great ritual scent.

I enjoyed the thick, sweet smell in the bottle, and wet on my skin clove and myrrh were most apparent. Unfortunately, this one gave me a headache within a half hour, so I couldn't tell you what it smelled like dry, and I won't be able to try it as a room fragrence.

In bottle/imp: Sweet, spicy, and slightly soapy dragon’s blood.

Immediately on skin: This is… interesting. The cherry is there, but it’s not overly sweet, and the clove is just slightly spicy. The myrrh is coming through and adding a resiny sweetness. The dragon’s blood mellows out the blend and makes it all a bit soapy. It’s not as intense as I thought it would be.

After a few minutes: This is mostly dragon’s blood and myrrh and a little teeny tiny bit of cherry and clove. The myrrh adds a nice depth to the dragon’s blood; it’s resiny, sweet, and comforting.

Overall Impressions: I was expecting this blend to be very intense and feel very vital and red, but it’s sort of disappointing. They myrrh comes out nicely, and I like the way it blends with the dragon’s blood, but it’s a very mellow scent. If you like myrrh, try this… it’s nice.

Expectations: Rich, spicy cherry.

In vial: Cherry cough syrup. That's not entirely a bad thing.

On skin, wet: Not actual cherry, but the somewhat cherry-like scent of dragon's blood. And that trickle of clove is more like a deluge.

On skin, dry: Not all that cherry anymore. Instead it's a subtle incense with the occasional whiff of something disturbingly floral.

After time: I had to leave for class before I finished this review, so I don't know the exact time frame for when changes happened, but not long after the oil dried there was a sudden resurgence of clove. 2 hours after application, it's now a very faint incense scent with a touch of sweetness, but I previously got the occasional hint of a metallic smell (which was taking the "blood" concept a bit too far for me).

Conclusion: I'm undecided on this one. I don't dislike how it ended up, but I don't think I'd choose Blood over some of the other scents I've tried if I was picking one for everyday wear. I definitely want to wear it a few times and see if I change my mind though.

i think the first time i tried this, i was a bit under the weather. all i could smell were the cherries and nothing else.

i wonder why i amp up fruity scents when i'm sick...i eventually decided i really didn't like it.

i'm glad i retried this imp before just giving up.

2nd time around: i can smell dragon's blood and a small bit of cherry and a wee amount of clove.

wet: mostly cherry & dragon's blood.

dry: OMG! beautiful

i did try it a 3rd time a month later and wow, once this scent has a chance to age, it's beautiful. the cherry note is more tame and the clove pops out a bit more and the dragon's blood is the main star in the scent.

i decided i had to have a bottle...it's great once it ages.

Got this as a frimp in my most recent order -- I don't think I would have ordered it otherwise because Dragons Blood and I don't seem to get along all that well...

In the imp: WHOA CHERRY COUGH SYRUP!

Wet: the clove starts to take over, and it's still cherry and clove, but it's nowhere near as sweet or overpowering now -- starting to turn very interesting and spicy. I think the myrrh might be starting to peek out, too, and that is very nice.

Drydown: spicy and sweet -- there's something to this scent that makes me think of Lush's "Sore Labours" massage bar (which is a good thing coming from me, because I love Sore Labours). I like this -- it's much better dry on warm skin than in the imp :P Won't be buying a bottle, but I do like it.

Awww, bummer!

I love all the notes in here, except the clove. I mean, clove can be nice, but it's more medicinal than perfume for me.

Alas, my skin amps the clove and that's all I can smell. If Blood had everything except the clove, I bet I'd be obsessed. Oh well! Plenty of BPAL that loves me to soothe my disappointment!

2 out of 5