Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon’s blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

Thick.
Cherry and clove at first, but the cherry dies down to a faint sweetness and the myrrh comes out...a bit like that green nature's gate shampoo and some sweet incense.

I like it!

I put this on my wrist, and immediately get slapped in the face with a bunch of boozy, liqueur-soaked cherries. Yeow, that's one STRONG scent!

Within 30 seconds, the cherry-slapper has run away giggling, and left behind his invisible, clove-smoking friend. I am surrounded by a veritable miasma of cloves. This eventually dries down to a sweet, spicy, rich red scent. It's a nice scent, but way too strong for light-floral-loving me - I feel like I need to be wearing thigh-high boots and a kick-ass leather jacket to match the olfactory presence!

Edited by mirutai

Blood smells like canned cherries in the imp and, appropriately for the name and the smell, is a bright red oil.

Once on my skin, it turns into a spicy cherry; I was afraid the clove would take over, but it just adds a spicy layer to the scent. It reminds me of the spices used in apple pie mixed with cherry pie filling. Another great fall scent, and I think it would layer well with a lot of other oils.

Delicious. In the imp, it was all cherry and very sweet, almost to the point of being cloying. It took me forever to actually try it, as I'm not a big fan of really sweet scents. But god, am I glad I finally smeared some on my wrists.

The cherry dies down almost immediately into a sweet background note, and the myrrh, dragon's blood, and clove pop out, making it very spicy and incensey.

Wet and dry this is clove and dragon's blood, with, maybe, a tiny hint of cherries. Very strong very warm.

in the vial:

Dark, dark cherry. I <3 the dark red color!

wet:

Hmm. Still very dark cherry, but a spicy kind of cherry. That would be the clove, I think.

dry:

Has almost become a heavy potpourri or candle-y spice scent, reminding me of a craft or candle shop around Christmastime. After about an hour, it fades down and smells remarkably close to Hollywood Babylon on me, with a darker and spicier vibe.

season: winter.

office-friendly? emmm...maybe.

overall:

I didn't dislike like this one, but it's pretty heavy. It's a warm, dark, thick scent that could be unisex. Not bad, but not for me, although it could work really well on someone who likes warm, fruity-spicy scents.

This is maraschino cherry first off but then that gives way to the myrrh and clove. Blood is a very thick, very rich scent. I was expecting something sweeter and this is definitely not sweet on me. I am loving this much more than I had thought. :P

bottle:

dragons blood and something even heavier, hint of cherry

wet:

sweet and sticky, with spices underneath

dry:

yummy - really. A little foody, but mostly just spicy thick resiney goodness! Should be great in winter

overall:

love it!

rating: 8/10

Blood - About four years ago, I picked up a bottle of Dragon’s Blood from a vendor at a street fair. I got their card, and promptly lost it. It was a gorgeous blend – the best Dragon’s Blood I’d ever encountered, and since I used it up, I’ve never quite forgiven myself for losing their business card. I have been searching for the perfect Dragon’s Blood fragrance ever since, and while I like most of them, none of them are the Dragon’s Blood. And then I tried Blood. It’s so beautiful and it’s exactly like the Dragon’s Blood oil for which I’ve been searching for years. It’s so perfectly like the other oil, that the first time I applied it, a flood of memories from that time in my life rushed over me. The drop of cherry blends perfectly with the other notes, but gives it a hint of fruitiness that makes me slightly tempted to pour it into a goblet and drink it up – but that would be yucky in the end! The myrrh doesn’t bother me in the least in this blend. It depends and darkens the fragrance. The clove adds just the tiniest touch of dark spice, adding yet another dimension to this oil that makes it just so incredibly gorgeous. It has the perfect amount of throw and it lasts and lasts. This is worth a full bottle. Yes, it really is. Out of the past 100 or so BPAL blends I’ve tried, this one is by far the most beautiful and emotionally evocative scent.

Origin: Part of my imp pack from Christmas.

Why I waited sixish months to test it: It is a scary, scary red color. I had it out of my BPAL box where I could keep a suspicious eye on it until I was sure it wouldn't rise up and devour me.

In the imp: Cherry. Not just any cherry, though. It's sweet, sticky, heavy cherry pie filling, and something black and sinister. See? Told you it was scary.

Wet, on skin: The cherry is kinda like a ninja. It sneaks up your neck and assassinates your nose.

Drydown: After a couple of hours, the cherry finally calms down and I begin to discern resinous notes- that would be the myrrh, which my skin usually amps way up but in this case it's too busy defending against a cherry siege. It still smells very very red, and a little spicy, and I can't seem to find the dragon's blood note in here.

Throw: Considerable. I had it on in an enclosed space (was on a long car trip), and it is a good thing the cherry note finally diminished some, because by golly that car smells like Blood now.

Staying power: All day, all night, all cherry, all the time.

In summation: I do like it, and I think I'll use up the imp, but other things have suited me much much better.

dry, i don't get a lot of cherry from this. i get mainly the dragon's blood and myrrh, which unfortunately, turn very powdery on me. :P there is, however, a decidely bloody, metallic tang to this in the bottle and before it's completely dry on my skin. i suppose that's the cherry, but it vanishes almost immediately once it's dry. disappointing.

In the Imp:The Myrrh and Clove really pop out of the imp at you!

Wet: This blend really works well together, while i can pick out some individual elements, they don't overpower each other. I get the cherry, clove and myrrh the most. the DB really just plays a nice base note here.

Dry: The myrrh dies down a bit and the spiciness of the clove and DB really peak up. This mixed with the cherry is my idea of heaven. I love cherries and spice.

Throw: Really good throw. The person sitting across from me can't smell it but the person sitting next to me can.

Overall: Great mix. It doesn't really evoke "blood" to me, but I love it none the less. Plus it lasts a decent amount of time too! (5-6 hours and still putting off a bit of throw)

If I didn't know anything about BPAL and I was presented a vial of perfume marked "Blood" that was this delicious dark red radiant color I would immediately be in love. While dragon's blood scents only rarely win their way into regular rotation for me, the fact that it's paired with clove instead of cinnamon really makes this blend work.

This is the closest to an almost pure clove incense scent in the lab's repertoire and I'm seriously considering a bottle just so I can get that clove scent to surround me without having to cross the border to PA to buy a pack of them (which I wouldn't smoke anyway, but ... I like the scent a lot).

Dragon's blood, while present early on my skin, gives way to a dusty dark clove, very much like the Airs clove incense that they used to sell a long, long time ago (10 years or so). This is almost exactly like what I remember of that, on the drydown. Myrrh doesn't always work on me. Neither does dragon's blood. And I really don't like cherry most of the time. But they all bow down and make way for that smoky spiciness and it comes out on top.

If you're looking for the definitive clove scent, give this a try. Some day I might need to lay in a supply of this one.

Dragon's blood in all its splendor .. I was skeptical at first as when i sniffed the vial it was all cough medicine cherry .. yuk! The dry down on this is unique on me beacuse my skin usually amps up dragons blood resin .. i was totally expecting it to subue the other notes ... 'twas not to be .. the cherry morphed into a smoky clove.. the cherry note still lingered below the surface .. a very soft and smooth scent .. it wasnt until about 30 mins into wear that the dragon's blood made its presence known .. and yet i was still able to get wifs of the clove now and again ..

i really enjoy this and it smells great on the b/f as well ..long lasting and moderate throw .. definatly going to need a bottle of this!

Now I know this may sound a bit weird, but this smells like an adult goods store that I used to frequent… lol. It’s got that spicy scent they had over by the incense sticks but a sweetness like from one of the edible body lotions and massage oils. The dragon’s blood and clove are very spiky and musky in this blend. It *almost* feels like a very masculine perfume but I think my skin chemistry will let me pull it off for now. At very first whiff in the vial I got some of the cherry sweetness but on my skin, it’s completely muted and almost nonexistent. Not many of the spicier blends seem to call out to me, but this one does… I think I’ll be ordering a small bottle of this one < nods >.

I wouldn't have expected to like this one, but I got it as freebie and tried it. Very different for me, but I liiiiiiike it...it is interesting going on, I get the metallic tang initially, but it gets better and sweeter after drydown. (Note to self: use less next time!) Not sure if I would want a bottle or not, but the imp is definately going to get used. I might have to try more Dragon's Blood after all.

Pepperish with a sharp sweet tang in the imp. Wet, it is sharp and very robust; with an herbal bite. The dragon's blood is very clear in this, sweetened - sensualized - by the cherry and clove. Like a spicy-sweet candy but more basic. Dry and warmed, this is a slightly bitter, still very sharp - the dragon's blood and clove make this dark and thick, very potent. The myrrh is murky, with a slightly smoke/incense note. Not exactly how I would personify blood, but a brilliant blend in and of itself.

Sweet, dark, and rich--and definitely a little spicy. Even the look of this in the vial is perfect: a deep crimson, like polished garnets. While I've tried a lot of "cherry" scents, this is completely different from everything else in my collection. I'm hanging on to this one to spice up some cold autumn days . . . And maybe some cold autumn nights as well!

imp: syrupy, cinnamony, darkened by resins and woods.

on: cinnamon and cherry; Dragon's blood, myrrh, and clove come through as a thick, grounding layer. Not an on-skin scent for me (though oddly compelling!) but a great aromatherapy scent.

Wow..it's dark...it kinda looks like blood in the vial..

Heh, pretty.

Wow..this is intense...

I get LOTS of clove on my skin, with the myrrh blending in making it a little richer.

I'm not sure what I think about it to be honest..it's almost TOO much...

It makes me think of a red hot candy...a cherry one.

It seems that everytime I try a blend that has cherry - the cherry amplifies WAY too much.

Ugh.

I'm sad now :P

I'm sure my sister will love this.

Appearance: Like blood in the imp! Very deep rich red.

Scent from the imp: Thick cherry, spicy, very deep and rich but not overwhelmingly so.

On my skin: Really lovely, the cherry really comes out on my skin as does the resin smell.

Dry: This is where it gets alittle nasty on my skin. It was such a beautiful smell, but my bod just does not do it any justice. I have had any luck with anything that's got dragon's blood in it.

4/5 for the smell though!!

Jenn

HOORAY!

I've been waiting for this one!

In the bottle: Tee-hee. Looks like blood. ::.giggle.:: Sweet with a bit of spice. Like...REALLY sweet. It's totally cherry. Cherry cherry. ::.does a dance.:: Cheeeeeerry.

Wet: Dragon's...blood? ;_; I hate it when I still can't pinpoint what it is!...Oh ew.

What the hell is this awful smell? EW. It's the myrrh! X_x The myrrh destroyed the cherry spice goodness! Oh man. That's all it is now.

Dry: T_____T goodbye cherry dragon bloody goodness....Hello myrrh and clove. X_x I'm sad.

I wanted this one to work a lot.

EDIT:

Wait...wtf? Where'd the awful myrrh go? Now it's just sweet clove! MUCH better.

Okay. I like it now. :P

Edited by RavenVelith

In the bottle: Yay! Cherry! I also detect some clove, but not really anything else.

Wet on skin: Still lots of cherry, kissed with clove and dragon's blood.

Dry on skin: The myrrh shows up more as this dries on my wrist, as does the clove. Still a hint of cherry after four hours. I kept smelling my wrist as I rode the bus out to meet my mom.

Verdict: This is one that warrants a full bottle and not just another imp. It smells wonderful from the moment I open it up to hours later when I catch a whiff of it on my wrist. It reminds me a little of Kabuki, with the cherry, but it's more complex and I like it much better.

Usually I don't like dragon's blood, but here, the other components blend with it well enough. And cherry doesn't like me, but again, everything is blended so well that it works!

I'll keep my imp.