Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Namaste

... This oil blend is a serene, soothing Indian blend, created to bring calm and joy to the heart and peace to the spirit. Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.

I was at black broom sniffing everything in sight, when i came to namaste. I smelled it and it immediately reminded me of something that i couldn't place. hmmm oh well, i moved on to sniffing other. I kept coming back to namaste. I had to figure it out. I could pick out the patchouli and lemongrass the most. I just kept getting drawn back to it and it made me feel really happy. I put some on and it hit me! This smells so similar to the very first soap i ever made. I used a lot of the same oils in that batch. mmmm To this day that soap is still my favorite. Obviously, I had to buy a bottle of this.

In the imp: wood table

On me, wet: Expensive hand squeezed lemon, on top of a wood table. A very strong lemon.

On me, during drydown: Well the lemon went softer but there's something horribly foul smelling going on.

Verdict: I didn't pick it, nor will I warn my friend. But I don't think she's going to like it either.

Observation: my skin doesn't seem to jive with lemongrass, I guess.

Wet on me: perfumey the way Rapture was on me with a hint of patchouli. Not promising.

Drying: Patchouli flavored 7-up?!

After a few minutes: a patchouli-ish lemon now?? I'm quite sure lemon isn't in the listed notes! And it's a sweet lemon, very reminiscent of June Gloom.

Later: the rose comes out to play a bit, but it's still mostly patchouli/lemon/7-up. My skin is officially weird. (Oh! Lemongrass is a note in this! I no longer feel like I'm losing my mind!)

Not for me. This goes to the swap pile.

First impression: Very herby and wet, with a hint of wood and a squirt of lemon - dill, watery dill and a teeny bit of some cedar and/or sandalwood.

Dries down to: More of the same. After checking the description, I'm beginning to realize that jasmine is very tricky on me - it seems to take on different disguises. The only thing I picked up accurately was the cedar and sandalwood. I didn't get the patchouli at all and I love patchouli.

Lasted: Only about an hour

Rating: 2 out of 5

This oil blend is a serene, soothing Indian blend, created to bring calm and joy to the heart and peace to the spirit. Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.[/i]

at first: not sure.  smells a bit like generic perfume.  i think it's because there are so many things in it.  i'll need to wear this one to figure it out.

I decided to try this one for a review next, because I someone mentioned it in the review of salome, comparing the two. For me, they are not at all similiar. When I first opened the imp and put it on, I thought oh my god, I have to get this off me. It was overpowering--lemongrass mixed with...what? something that didn't work with it. I felt like I was wearing one of the aromatherapy mixes I make to keep ticks off my dogs (and yes, that does include cedar and lemongrass).

It calmed down after that, but its still fairly strong lemongrass. I don't smell much other than, with just maybe a touch of woodiness. Its really not my thing, I'm afraid, and on me isn't that calming--just overpowering.

Initial Sniff: Cedar with a hint of lemongrass. Very calming.

Wearing: This is strongly lemongrass and patchouli at first, which is quite nice and calming. However, this is my skin, and if there is rose to be found my skin will find it and scream it to the world. So the drydown is simply rose.

Fianl Impressions: *sigh*

This one was recommended to me, so when I managed to nab it, I was quite excited to have it. When I first smelt it, I found it "champa"-like and while it didn't seem unpleasant, I wondered what the fuss was about. When I smelt it again, I felt a little nausiated, and realized that this scent just will not work for me. I guess it's too spicy floral. 1/10

Bottle (Imp): Hmmm, a little sharp.

Just On: Mostly sharp with an undercurrent of sweet.

An hour or two later: Ooh, there's fruit in here, that's the sweet. Not sharp now.

Around 6 hours: Back to a little sharp, and a bare undercurrent of sweet.

12 hours: It's all faded away to nothing now.

Overall: Interesting, and nice in it's way. Not my type really.

After reading other reviews: Ahhh, so the lemongrass is the fruit thing. How interesting. It was too well blended to get the other scents picked out, and is probably not something I'd buy more of.

Ugh, had hopes for this one.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Lemongrass and a swirling of dry, acrid woods.

Wet, on Skin:

Lemongrass, oh my goodness. I also get cedar.

Drying/Drydown:

A distinctly to my nose unpleasing combination of lemongrass and bitter sandalwood.

Over Time/Longterm:

Sweet and still quite lemony, with a dry woods base.

Final Verdict?

I cannot pull off lemongrass or lemon. Oh, well. Swap!

In the bottle: lemongrass & (uh oh) jasmine

On my skin: all lemongrass and sandalwood (very similar to Shadow) until my friend jasmine came out to ruin the day.. my body chemistry HATES jasmine.. On the drydown all I smell is jasmine. No sandalwood, no patchouli.. and very faint lemongrass.

in general: stupid, stupid jasmine. I was hoping that it would stay in the background like a nice little flower and not ruin the whole party.. but no, Jasmine the Diva had to take over. Too bad.. off to the swaps with it.

Another BPAL where I didn't smell any of the notes listed. I smelled orange Pez with something slightly 'perfumy' underneath. It may have been a bare hint of musk or one of the florals. 15 minutes after application, it suddenly disappeared! I tried it again, and it disappeared again. Awww. Smelling like Pez could have been fun.

In the bottle: Florals, heavy rose, with a sweetness in the background.

First on: This smells like a candy shop to me, with floral candies like those lavender pastilles. This is what I would imagine a candy shop like Willy Wonka's to smell like (only without the chocolate)

Drydown: It still has a hint of the candy smell, but is now mostly floral. I like it, but I wouldn't wear it.

in the imp: lemon, lemon, lemon! a strong herbal lemon. perhaps lemon verbena.

on my wrist, wet: the lemon is still the key top note. underneath, i am beginning to detect woodsy scents.

on my wrist, dry: florals have now popped out. mixed with the lemon, herbs and woods there are hints of dry rose.

drydown: all of the above have blended marvellously. there is also a touch of smoke now, which is probably the patchouli. this scent is clean, soothing and calming. the citrus clears the mind, and the florals and smoke help you to breathe and center yourself.

a little goes a long way with this one. you don't need much. it has good throw and lasting power.

This starts off like sherbet lemons, which are one of my favourite sweets, so no complaints there! Then I can smell the sandlewood getting stronger and a more incensey scent develops. I really like this one, it's a bit lemony, a bit smokey and has just the right amount of incense-ness.

Heh.

I can definitely see what people mean when they say that Namaste is a good meditating blend. It does have a very calming/relaxing feel to it.

I thought that I would end up hating Namaste when I first tried it on. It smelled like sharp lemon drops, bitter rose, and smoky jasmine. Too much floral and biting citrus for me. The jasmine and rose actually calmed down after a few minutes and drifted off into the background though. The patchouli came out to play and the lemon seemed to sweeten.

After about an hour and a half, the fragrance completely shifted. The jasmine and rose completely vanished and the patchouli & lemon are barely lingering in the background. Out comes a dry and slightly spicy blend of powdery sandalwood and woody cedar.

Namaste only lasts about 3 hours on my skin. I don't love it enough to ever get a full bottle... but it is very pretty and I admire the complexity.

I’m a fool to keep trying even remotely citrus-y scents. Even though lemongrass is the last ingredient listed, it overpowers everything else once it hits my skin. I was hoping for some lovely sandalwood and rose goodness...but instead I get Mr. Clean. I’m sure this smells awesome on those w/different chemistry, so into the swaps pile it goes.

Wet the lemongrass is almost overpowering. As it drys down the lemongrass fades and the sandalwood and cedarwood take over. After awhile it becomes pure sandalwood on me.

This is a lovely perfume for summer days.

I get a start made of lemongrass over cedarwood and sandalwood, really fresh but with a nice woodsy bottom line.

I can pick up the flowers too, but I won't think about this scent as a floral one.

It's a bit powdery, but for me that's a good thing. I may buy a big bottle of this one.

In the bottle: LOUD, one-note floral smell.

Wet, on my skin: Jasmine. Way, way, way too much jasmine. Very aggressive, very loud, gave me a very big headache.

I smelled like an old lady. :/

After it dried, the jasmine receded, and four hours later, I smelled faintly of sandalwood and cedar. I like the last faint scent, but can't deal with the onslaught of jasmine to get there. I'll be passing this one along.

I'm afraid of patchouli, but here goes!

Bottle

Very strong with a slightly bitter curious scent. I smell the patchouli hinding in their, poised to take over.

Wet

Wow. Tickly. I smell the cedarwood and lemongrass very well. This is rather fun, even though the smells are not really me. I am enjoying the exploration, but I do hope the lemongrass dies down so I can try the other scents.

Dry

As this dries, a spicier note is coming out. The lemon is receeding (thankfully, I was tiring of smelling like polish) and a woody scent is coming out.

This is a very interesting wood scent. The lemon grass and cedar was strong enough to overwash the patchouli on me (and even the sandalwood). I can tell it just is not for me (even if I wait it out). If I do, I will return to this post. I still think it is a very intriquing blend with appeal.

I like Namaste - it is quite citrusy on me but its quite incensy as well. It is quite a comforting scent but it is nostalgic to me as well. whenever I wear this It reminds me of being 14/15 and burning josh sticks and trying to learn tarot cards!

When first on this smells like lemongrass, more woody rather than citrusy lemon. It doesn't change much on me and dries down smelling like sandalwood incense. This is okay but nothing spectacular on me. I think this would work well on men too.

Guest Titania

I got this imp as a freebie in my last order. I read the description and was intrigued. Citrus with a sandlewood undertone when wet and then bringing up more jasmine, the cirtus lessening on the drydown.

I had a really bad week. This oil became my new best friend. I literally calmed me down and made me centered. Very nice.

Num num free imp from the Lab God Bless you labbies, "Namaste" to you.

Ok this might sound funny but Namaste is a word I am very familiar with. I used to work for Namaste.com so I very strangely thought this would smell like curry and fresh Mithai which is how the old office in Chicago smelled. :P

In The Bottle: I get the lemongrass and patchouli with a subtle tinge of rose over sandalwood. Tasty!

Wet on Skin: Warm and soothing, the notes swirl about and flicker like a candle flame in a diya. This scent is very reminescent of Indian festivals such as Raksha Bandan and Diwali. I like it's exotic verve.

Drydown: Mmmm this is a feeling of calm to breathe in. I adore it as a room or mood scent. Too calming I prefer my scents to be illicit and devious in their ravenous and rampant sexuality. Then again why did I just say that what's really going on?

Verdict: Does exactly what the lab promises "bring calm and joy to the heart and peace to the spirit"

Interesting - the first time I sniffed Namaste, I couldn't smell anything at all; this time I was blasted off my feet by lemongrass and then beaten soundly about the head and shoulders by the florals. After a few minutes on my skin, I'm getting an acrid mix of lemongrass and cedar that makes my nose twitch. Not relaxing in the slightest for me. This will be swapped with all due haste.