Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

White Rabbit

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

I am happy to know that I am not the only one who gets licorice from White Rabbit! In the bottle, it's mostly fresh linens, milk, lemon and licorice.

When applied, it stay the same except there is a tiny hint of ginger that comes out and that licorice scent gets stronger.

Even if I can't smell the tea at all, I love White Rabbit a lot! I wear it when I know I will have to face a stressing day!

What a morpher! I bought an aged bottle of White Rabbit on a forum sale. I have no idea how old it is, but it is in a cobalt bottle, so at least a few years, I'd guess.

In the bottle, and immediately upon application, I got a strong, clean citrus...lemon mostly. It's nice, but very much not what I expected or wanted from this blend. Thankfully, within about 10 minutes, the citrus fades and it's light tea with tons of pepper. Now, a bit later, the pepper is fading into the background and a glorious strong tea, with vanilla, milk, and honey comes to the forefront. I get a hint of sweet ginger, but it's very faint. WOW! And I was just about to post this review when I got a whiff of clean linen. Fantastic transitions!

This blend really morphs, and very rapidly! I very much love it. It's light, sweet (but not particularly foody), and subtle. This is a good scent for wearing when I want to wear scent but not be overwhelmed or overwhelming to others. I think it would also be a good blend for calming or de-stressing.

Lovely. I find that I really am enjoying some of the Mad Tea Party blends!

Edited by scarletgenesis

In the Bottle

Smells like English Breakfast tea, warm and comforting, with a bare splash of milk. It's tempting to consider drinking this stuff.

On Me

Pretty much the same as in the bottle, though I get a peppery note jumping out about half an hour in. Very good throw, and does it last?!? HELL YES.

Funnily enough, though, it changed when I drank a cup of tea-- about five minutes later, I'm smelling roses and pepper, and the slightly bitter-but-warm smell has gone entirely. Not sure if this was just my sense of smell reacting to the tea I'd had-- a few hours afterwards, a friend commented that she could still smell the pepper in it.

In short? A pretty, yet practical and completely original scent, which would be wonderful for daily wear. I'm extremely curious as to how it'll smell on menfolk, because it strikes me as one which could go either way and be quite masculine. The description is right-on, too, and I think it'd make a great gift for just about anyone who likes perfumes: it's ageless. Seriously, I think it could suit a younger perfume nerd, and I think my late grandmother would have liked and worn it, too.

I'm glad I got a 5ml of this.

At first, I wasn't sure if I liked this or not -- it didn't smell much like tea to me (especially in the imp), just vaguely sweetish and smokey.

But as it dried, I kept bringing my wrists up to my nose to get a whiff and I soon found myself swooning over this scent. It becomes more and more like milky sweet tea as it mellows on my skin, and thus more and more delicious. I also get a hint of chocolate in there, which is always a good thing.

It's sweet, but not at all overpoweringly so. The equivalent of two tsps of sugar in your tea, maybe, but not more than that.

I don't get pepper in this, but there is a noticeable top note of something high and clear. Not citrus, exactly, but close to it.

I also have the sense that this is what I would smell like if I were edible. :P It doesn't scream "PERFUME AHOY" but rather seems like it's a part of myself, like it blends in so well with my chemistry that it becomes a feature of the natural scent of my skin. If I smelled this on someone else, it wouldn't immediately occur to me that they're wearing perfume, just that they smelled really, really good.

I must get a big bottle of this.

ETA: My only complaint is that it fades relatively fast on me (a couple of hours, compared to the 12+ hours of some of the other BPAL scents).

Edited by Acedia

:P this was horrible on at first and I was so sad because I wanted this blend to love me. its been about an hour and what was at first a clean linen scent with a terrible bitter ending that was almost unbearable has all but disappeared into nothingness. I am gonna give this one more try because I love the white rabbit and hopefully its goofy because I am ovulating lol!!! can't hurt right?

In the imp, and freshly applied, White Rabbit is all sweet, sharp citrus and ginger with a hint of tea. Unfortunately, after mere seconds on my skin, that lovely brightness is joined by a musty smell reminiscent of spoiled milk. Or condensed milk, maybe. Spoiled condensed milk? It's a bit like (my beloved) Sudha Segara with a drop of Baobhan Sith, but gone horribly, tragically wrong. Ugh.

In Vial:slightly perfume-y and licorice

Wet: Light perfume and tea with a hint of milk and honey

Later: This gets even better. Still retains a slight smell of licorice

wet: smells like laundry

dry: clean smelling and spicy and sweet

i'm not sure about this scent. i like it a lot when its in the imp and wet, but when it's dry the scents just mesh together and i'm not certain i like the end result. i might have to try this one again later.

Lol okay what I get from White Rabbit while wet is bandaids or formaldehyde. Ugh. It starts drying down to a nicer spicy scent but not that much nicer. I would have to pass on getting a full size of this one.

I tried this a couple of years ago, and there was something like bitter lime amping and ruining the whole blend for me. So I just tried it again, and I'm glad I did! This blend is so many things at once...there's a tea party, with a light tea and sweet cakes and cream. There's a bit of men's cologne, barely there like a whisper...and yup, there's the laundry smell.

I'm so glad it worked this time! This is so nice.

This is going to sound so cheesy.

When I smelled it in the imp, it smelled like glowing red heart candy beating to the sound of a pocket watch nestled in the downy, salt & pepper fur of a very sophisticated rabbit. Then I put it on.

And it smelled like lemon powder. Ew.

ETA: I tried this one again today, and it was much better. I'm not sure if I changed, my body changed, or the scent changed with just a bit of aging, but I really love it. It's one of two scents that has made me emotional. From afar, meaning the 2 or so feet from my nose to my wrist, it smells very different from up close -- masculine and aquatic. I really love it either way. The only problem (and it's sort of major) is that it doesn't last very long and has pretty much no throw. I need to find a way to remedy that.

Edited by Noir

In the imp, I know exactly what savage_rose is talking about with the "bitter lime" effect. I really have no idea where that note is coming from, but it was certainly unexpected.

So, yesterday I put on White Rabbit and it immediately turned overwhelmingly bland (oxymoron?) and powdery. I attributed this to my skin for some reason devouring everything but the "clean linen" note. It wasn't a bad smell, but it reminded me of Lightning, which just smells vaguely like laundary detergent on me-- so if I for some reason want a really generic "clean" scent, I kind of already have that covered.

However, I decided to give White Rabbit another try today, and I swear it's completely different. Immediately, it smells like... well, nothing, but then I get a powerful aftersmell (like an aftertaste, you know?) about two seconds after taking my nose away from my wrist. I do not get any hint of tea (which is the main reason I bought this, because The Apothecary taught me that I really like tea notes)-- I think it's all ginger and honey. In general, I like the smell of both ginger and honey, but here there's... something wrong. It smells dreadful, like the vaguely sweet smell of something rotting. And, I hate to say this, but my main impression is of vomit. Like when a kid would lose it in the hall at school, and they'd spread that sawdust stuff on it. Needless to say, I'm going to go wash it off, something I've never yet had to do with any BPAL scent. :P

I have no idea what my skin chemistry is doing to White Rabbit. But I'm going to try it again in a few days to see if it undergoes another transformation!

I've tried this one twice since the imp arrived at my house, and each time I have to shrug hopelessly and sigh. In the imp it smells pretty lovely -- a bit of black tea, some milk, some linen -- but as soon as it touches my skin, it turns into a big mess of pepper and laundry detergent. Milky laundry detergent. I'm sad! I love tea scents, but apparently, I like green tea scents, or at least they like me better than black ones do.

Ah, well. It was definitely worth a try, and someone else will probably love it. :P

not good. It's like cheap packing tape - there's an aroma that wafts from it that is chemical-y. Sometimes ginger does that on my skin, but this is no different in the imp or on skin.

:P

i'm wondering if something in my chemistry is EATING scent right now. Midway disappeared entirely on me yesterday and it looks like this one might be heading after it to see what's up.

still, I'll soldier on. :)

this is one of the cases of different body parts having different smells. :D on my wrists, it's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall linen-y, clean laundry smell, with the barest hint of something fruity (I'm guessing the ginger?). If I had to go by wrists alone, this would be a pass, as it's utterly unremarkable.

BUT the smell wafting up from my cleavage is lovely! :D

my nose buried in my cleavage reveals that lovely tea note that I go nuts for in Dorian! that's where the tea, vanilla and creaminess comes out, with the ginger lurking to keep it from becoming too sweet. *head scratchy*

so I'm going to reapply, and put some in my hair before I go to work, and get some feedback from my similarly enabled coworker.

in imp: softly sweet vanilla

wet on skin: depending on WHERE, it's anywhere from linen to vanilla.

drydown: slightly schizophrenic. White Rabbit hasn't decided if he likes me yet.

nutshell: soft vanilla with black tea and ginger. not too sweet, with enough sharp notes to keep it from becoming cloying. not sure about throw or wearlength

this could go either way. if it goes the Boob Way, it will be bottle worthy. if it goes Wrist Way, i'll be passing it along.

whoa, this stuff is STRONG. good throw. goes on thickly sweet, with strong tea notes and gingery sharpness. I'm a little :P about the cloying, sugary sweetness, the tea is just giving it a weird tone instead of tempering it, and there a slightly unpleasant film blanketing the whole scent thats probably the milk. the ginger goes quick and the tea gets weaker and weaker during drydown, though it never goes away completely. all thats left is the honey/vanilla.

interesting. I don't hate it but not really loving it. the strong tea note with the sweetness was...intriguing.

Hmm...this kind of smells like latex and sour milk in the imp...not a good combo... :P Hopefully this will be better on my skin...

Gahhhh, no, this is not good on me. Like rubber gloves from the doctor's office filled with curdled milk and sugar...yeesh, this needs to be washed off NOW. :D

Edited by Suu4LC

I tested this at work, and had no access to the list of scents. Now that I am home, my response is, "Where are you all hiding?"

What I smelled was a soft creamy sort of scent, with a modest throw that certainly wouldn't annoy anyone in the next cubicle...but I couldn't pick anything out. I remembered that it was supposed to have tea...I couldn't smell it. Part of what I was smelling could be the white linen that I recalled might be in it...I wasn't picking out notes well, and I couldn't bring myself to feel more than "meh" about the scent.

Now that I have the notes in front of me, I'm a little upset. This should have been marvelous.

Strong black tea, milk, ginger, honey, and vanilla are all things that I like or love the smell of. It's only the clean linen and white pepper that I don't know well enough to have an opinion on. Is my skin messing around with this that much? Gah!

Tried: 2008.05.27

In the bottle: Honey and ginger with a bit of vanilla and black tea.

Makes me think of: Mmmm... tea and honey cake...

Just applied: The vanilla disappears, the honey hides away, ginger looses its bite... tea is still there, and "clean linen" comes out full power.

Makes me think of: Very "clean" indeed... but I'd like some more cake.

Drying: The tea is getting cold fast...

Makes me think of: Tea party is over.

Dried and fading: Clean linen is all that's left.

Makes me think of: Soap... I smell like a fresh laundry load.

Final impressions: Smells really nice in the bottle, but once out... I'd use it more as a room spray, not personal scent.

Edited by alraunen

In the imp: Thick sweet honey, zero of anything else. Apparently I'm not a honey girl. Oh well.

Wet: Still quite sweet, but now more complex -- I think I'm getting tea and ginger, but I'm not liking it. The milk helps to mellow things out.

Drydown: It's more interesting than I thought, but honeyed ginger isn't my thing. Actually, I think the ginger is giving me a headache. Although that could also be the black tea, or those 'clean' molecules.

Dry: Saccharine sweet honey-ginger. Blergh.

White Rabbit

I highly anticipated this scent; I love clean linen scents, and I love tea scents.

Unfortunately this smelled like neither! In the bottle it smells...almost indescribable, but definitely not like the lab's description. Sort of murkily fruity and medicinal, really weird.

On me it smelled of rank, rotting fruit. I have no idea what caused this! I tried it a couple of days later on fresh skin and yeah, still decaying fruit. On my boyfriend it doesn't smell terrible, like it does on me, but it's pretty unremarkable, with no hint of linens or tea.

I don't think I care to hang on to this.

Wet in imp:

tea, ginger, and an apple-blossom-like smell

Wet on skin:

ginger and clean laundry

Drydown:

ginger, clean laundry, bright pepper, and a honey-floral scent

Wearlength:

hours later, all but the milk and honeyed vanilla have vanished

Final impression:

Clean, bright and pretty, but eventually fades to Dana O'Shee. I like it, but a bottle of it would basically be redundant.

figured I'd be one of the only ones who hated and then liked White Rabbitt- but it turns out that I'm not even close! We must form a team of researchers to figure out exactly how many months this one takes to reach its full vintage, because it morphs over time to something that barely resembles the original bottle.

I ordered an imp of white rabbit as soon as Beth relased it way back when, and I was crushed to find that it was all linen on me- and that real ozone-y, fabric softener linen smell I cannot stand. I got a bitter black tea smell over the whole thing, but it was mostly screaming fabric softener. Not good at all.

Recently, I got an imp of this from a swap, and smelled it for the novelty, expecting to wrinkle my nose yet again, but NOW this white rabbit smells like EXACTLY those white rabbit candies they sell in chinatown, and I LOVE it. I love it. I don't think i'll be able to stop thinking of this smell until I have a bottle ( it wears just as great as it smells). It's milky, and plasticky in the peculiar way that all really cheap candy is...but it doesn't smell cheap or unpleasant, it's whimsical and fun and nostalgic, and it's a totally new type of gourmand scent for me.

It was worth the wait!

In the imp: Very strong tea and pepper!!!!

Wet on the skin: sweet honey, more tea and a hint of vanilla

Drydown: A milky background mingles with ginger and vanilla. As the black tea fades, touch of lemon comes to the top, sweet and sour. Sadly, the pepper is gone. I wished it had come out on me more. I think it would have given a biting edge to what otherwise can be described as a clean fresh gently spiced floral.

Verdict: after an hour, the vanilla amps up and the overall scent has taken a slightly sour milk turn. This might be very lovely with someone else's body chemistry. Will check back in later in the day to update after a few more hours.

After 3 hours: the sour note has disappeared and the vanilla "rabbit" is tame. I was afraid that I wouldn't like this one. However, it has grown on me! Like a book, the opening pages drew me in. After a few pages, the interest grew until something unpleaseant happened. Happily, as the plot continued to unfold, the resolution was better than I expected. Right now, I am happy to have an imp of this. I look forward to trying more from Mad Tea Party.

SO GOOD. This smells like fresh dough, pastry crust and milk. Of course, I put this on about 2 hours ago and forgot about it until just now (very light throw) so I'm sure I missed out on the pepper/tea/linen phase, but right now it smells so warm and delicious, milk and dough with a faint vanilla holding it all up.