Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Empyreal Mist

Empyreal Mist

A hazy, soft, veiled scent: mist floating through twilit skies, curling gently towards the heavens.

In the imp: a fresh, light, airy, crisp scent with a hint of tart fruit about it.

Wet on skin: fresh and crisp and light. It's quite tangy as well, and a little bit aquatic.

Dry on skin: pear! Now I can recognise a lovely tart pear note in here that is both sweet and sharp, it's a white pear scent. The scent is very cool and fresh…very airy and with a hint of something aquatic about it, which seems appropriate for a mist-inspired scent. Indeed, this scent brings to mind the dewy, misty coolness of early morning, just before sunrise. I also get hints of gorgeous pale spring blossoms and gentle dewy flowers in here, reminiscent of the Unicorn and also La Belle au Bois Dormant, and I also wonder if there's magnolia here, and maybe linden. This scent is so lovely and ethereal, very delicate and spring-like.

After a while: I really like the way this scent is both dewy and a bit moist, yet also crisp and dry at the same time. Now the scent is a very nicely balanced mix of fruit and floral, fringed with fresh air and coolness. It's a pear and crisp floral scent, very similar to Thalia, Titania and La Belle with hints of the Unicorn, but it's also different to those thanks to the cool 'mist' note. It stays very consistent, though it becomes a bit less moist/cool, over the hours as it fades slowly.

Verdict: this is another gorgeous, ethereal scent on the pear-floral theme. Delicate and wispy, gentle and light with a slight tangy aspect. This is similar to scents like Thalia, La Belle au Bois Dormant and Titania but it also has a cool, airy scent to it, both dry and crisp, yet also dewy and moist…a note I can only describe as, well, mist. There's also a white pear note, both sweet and tangy, and some floral notes as well-I'm guessing magnolia, and some spring florals, maybe linden (as I get a resemblance to the Unicorn here as well). It is subtly beautiful and I know this will make a fantastic spring scent-it smells like a gentle mist settling on blossoms. A delightful scent that I think I will need to get a bottle of.

Very light! Almost exactly Like Calyxx. Hasa very very clean smell to it (not soapy). Very good for work. It seems to last longer than Calyxx, and it has a liiitle more grounding to it and not as perfumie. You know how Audrey Tatou is very fresh-faceed and dewey? It's like that. Hint of flowery, but more like a subtle garden waft with a focus on more green freshness.

First Sniff (in the imp): It smells...wet. And sweet. I am not picking out any one note. It kind of reminds me of this Dial body wash I used to use. Not in a bad way, though.

Wet: It smells more flowery now. Very sweet, in a good, and not cloying way. I'm also getting a very small hint of musk. Still has that "wet" smelling quality to it. Maybe that's because I associate this smell so strongly with the body wash I used, I dunno. :P

Dry: Eh. This doesn't smell bad at all. Actually it smells nice. But it's not knocking my socks off or anything. It is a very understated, flowery, moist smell. Exactly how you'd expect "Empyreal Mist" to smell, I think. Very elegant. Not for me, though. :D

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Tea and apples?

Preconceived notions: Honestly? I have no idea. Mist?

In the imp: ... Light, clean and crisp, but totally unknown. I don't even have a clue of what I'm smelling, except that it may slightly resemble tea?

On skin, wet: Tea! Tea and... something else. Something bright and impossibly ethereal and soft. Very green, but not grassy, and very clean, but not soapy. Hard to pin down, this one, but exceedingly lovely.

On skin, dry: This reminds me of Dublin in some unknown way, which, as much as I love Dublin, is not a bad thing at all. I think it may be the crisp/fresh/green qualities in Dublin I'm getting in Empyreal Mist. As it continues to dry, I get something distinctly... apple-y. Tart green apples. Similar to an apple blossom shampoo I used as a kid, actually, but that's not a bad thing, either.

Conclusion: Way back in March of '05, I bought an imp of this. Unfortunately, it arrived completely shattered and scentless. I forgot about it until fairly recently, putting it back on my wishlist but not giving it much priority. And then VenusFlyTrap sent me an imp of it. This is hardly my normal fare, but I quite like it. My only "problem" with it lies in how terribly faint it is. I think I'll give it a go in a scent locket soon; if it's even a wee bit stronger there, I'll be picking up a bottle.

This imp was a gift from a friend in Massachusetts.

In the imp: I had been very curious about this blend, as there were no notes listed. It sounded as though it would be an ozone or an aquatic for sure, very light, possibly of the variety that really doesn't do much on me (But that I love anyway...just not as perfumes for me.) I was somewhat surprised; it smelled more floral in the imp than I was expecting. Not a bad thing.

Wet: Mmm, this has that breath-of-fresh air thing going on. It's THERE, but it's so soft and delicate that it's like a feather brushing your cheek. It is less floral than I anticipated from smelling the imp, but stronger than I anticipated as well.

Settling: This has definitely got the green thang going on. But it's not a fresh bright green, rather a pale, hazy green. This is like slightly wilted green leaves at the end of a scorchingly hot and breathless day, slightly limp with humidity, waiting for the storm that needs to come and is taking its sweet bloody time in doing so.

Drydown: Green tea, and white tea. It's very pale, very soft, just a whispery misty scent. It's there, it's got oomph--not TOO much, mind you, but oomph all the same--but it's so delicate. This is precisely the kind of perfume you dab on in July in the South, in high summer, when it's so hot that anything else bolder will make you feel icky. So soft and cool, yet warm enough it works with your skin.

I don't know that I'd get a bottle of this. But I can envision myself using the imp periodically.

Quick sniffy impressions:

Citrus rinds, from the soccerball-size orangey-yellowy-green not-orange not-grapefruit not-limes that grow in old backyards in Florida. Clear in the imp, super clean to the nose. A hint of girlish flowers, a dainty bouquet tied up with strips of lace.

In the imp: Green tea? A wee little bit of ivy? It's light and white and fresh.

Wet: Mmm, that's rerfreshing! i think I detect a little itty bitty bit of fresh apple peel that makes it just a little sweet and a little tart. We're moving in increments here, folks. Again, this is a fresh, light green scent. I do think I'm getting just a bit of a white floral still clinging to the vine - or maybe that's the vine itself.

Verdict: Ahhh...

3.5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrve

:P What can I say but repeat the above reviews. This is so light and what I call a "feel good" scent. This would be something I'd wear to cheer myself up.

This is an extremely light, green sort of scent. There's something fresh about it, just bordering on 'air freshener'.....but it manages to escape it with something all too natural about it. I'm reminded of mountain air, the kind of hazy and soft quality that you only really get at dawn, when the grass is covered in dew and there's fog everywhere. Lovely.

i really feel that the description of this scent from the lab is EXACTLY what it turned out to be... and I love it! Very crisp, airy, and clean... Smells like, well, MIST! A misty day... And the scent lasted quite a while, too!

Note: I liked this on my skin less today than yesterday. Not sure if it was because I had just gotten out of the shower? Maybe it mixed with something... don't know. Weird! I'll try it again before changing my mind on buying a bottle. hehe.

I :P Empyreal Mist. It sums up it's name perfectly- I picture some tropical island with mist rising from a waterfall in the sunlight- that is what this smells like...just lovely. If only it lasted longer on my skin...but it's worth re applying.

I was really, really hoping that this would turn out to be close cousin to Holiday Moon, which though I have a 5ml bottle is not going to last forever. Unfortunately, it goes on with a sour edge to it. It gets a little sweeter with wear, becoming a bit reminiscent of green apple or even a bit of lime, but it doesn't recreate the pale smooth green of Holiday Moon as I was hoping. Still, if you like the sour-sweet of green apple or limeade, it could be a good thing to try out.

In the imp: light, crisp airy fruitiness. A bit like Embalming Fluid but with a satsuma-ish tang to it rather than lemon.

On me, wet: there's a hint of a lovely rose-ish floral in this I couldn't smell in the imp. The fruit has mellowed a little and blends wonderfully with the green tea I can smell, and the whole thing smells *awesome*.

On me, dry: everything has softened and blended together The tea and the fruit and the florals and something sort of watery... sweet but airy. Smells like springtime.

Verdict: I think I need a 5ml of this at some point - it's now very different from Embalming Fluid or Aizen-Myoo, the two I would have compared it to in the imp. And it's *lovely*.

Very light, damp-smelling floral, backed with a white musk. It's cool and damp.

Need to apply heavily to get any staying power, but I like this one a lot.

Something sweetly floral hovers in this imp... tender green shoots and dew-drop sheathed blossoms braving the dawn for the first time. This is a very young scent, it reminds me of early spring when it's still cold but starting to be beautiful. Wet, ooooh. I smell carnations and lilies and sweet peas (errr); there's honeysuckle and clover blossoms and I honestly call that pansies. I want to say poppies and geraniums as well... oh this is gorgeous young blooms with a sweet aquatic note that hovers in and out, mixing with a soft green grass and leaves and stems smell. This is honestly a very gentle mist swirling in an early spring garden. So delicate and so sweet... oh this is just CUTE. (which inherently makes it not ME but I can't fully blame it for that) Dry, it's faded to a barely there floral blend that is nearly indectable. A shame, this was so pretty and complex and now it's not even there. With a lifespan of twenty minutes, this blend just isn't all that feasible for wearing.

Empyreal Mist - This is a soft, sweet and very "misty" blend -- just like the name suggests. Its ethereal nature reminds me a lot of The Unicorn. I am completely unable to distinguish any particular notes, but it evokes images for me of a meadow in a forest with brilliant green grasses and flowers swathed in early-morning dew. It's definitely a grassy floral, and has the slightest touch of something sweet that is not honey, but possibly some sort of nectar? It's got a faint hint of department-store perfume about it, which makes it slightly unpleasant for me, but which also gives it significantly more throw than other ethereal scents like it. It's nice, but to me, it doesn't really stand out from the majority of the BPAL general catalogue.

In the bottle: Grassy green ozone with a foggy atmosphere.

Wet: Ooh so pretty! Water and grass, not really ozony anymore, just wet and misty.

Drydown: Fresh flowing water over grass - this is Amsterdam without the florals. Again the scent reminds me incredibly of the smell of Lake Geneva where I live, when it's the summer and the hot humid air just wafts up. Except that here, the smell is cool and breezy instead, light and soft. It becomes extremely subtle on drydown, and I have the impression that I can smell something a bit bitter and watery, like bamboo.

Overall: A very beautiful summer blend, cool, watery, grassy and just pleasant to refresh you in days of sweltering heat. Unfortunately it doesn't last all that long on me before fading down to quasi-nothingness (it's still there, but very faint). It's a terrible pity, because it was a contest between this one and Amsterdam in the big-bottle category. Still a favourite, it's a pity it doesn't have more throw.

i have no idea what notes are in this, but it smells like a pretty sweet fruity-floral. it's very sweet. it smelled so familiar at first, like a perfume i wore in high school, then i finally placed it- it smells exactly like prescriptives calyx on me. i've never smelled another bpal that smelled exactly like another perfume, but this one sure does.

my high school self would've loved this, but now i find it a bit too sweet for my personal tastes.

In imp- sweet. fresh, faint

Wet-slightly like tea and lime, a bit aquatic

Dry- white and limey, like looking at a lime tree in the sun by a river

Nice. Mom loved it.

In the imp: Tea. Not real tea, the fake tea smell you get in certain bath products. It's a weird scent, but I do like it.

On me, wet: The fake tea note takes on a chilly, powdery aspect.

On me, dry: Like sticking my nose in a jar of green tea bath salts. Very little throw.

Verdict: It's nice and pretty, but I doubt I'll ever need more than an imp.

In the bottle: Fresh, light, and natural. Airy and floral!

Wet: This has the tang of ozone, but it's not a weather ozone (like Tempest), it's atmospheric. It is a very soft scent, and very nice.

Dry: A white, fresh scent that's got a bit of a cool aquatic note going on, over the slight hint of wildflowers. Unfortunately, I've got to stick my nose right up against my wrist to smell this one; on me, it has very little throw, and doesn't last for very long.

Overall: A nice spring evening scent, it's a shame that it doesn't hang around for longer!

Oh, how I love those green scents. I am guessing there is bamboo pulp in here along with some aquatic notes. This unfortunately turns very powdery on me the longer I wear it and starts to smell a little like a bathroom cleaner I use.

In imp, and on, wet: Pear candy.

Near drydown: Pears and lemons.

Far drydown: Not so much. If i cram my nose into my elbow, I get the faintest whiff of something soft, sweet, and fruity.