Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

I got this from shackjj, who is awesome. :D

In the bottle: Rose, rose, rose! A very strong, deep rose.

Wet on skin: Rose and leather, just as it says!

Dry on skin: Yep. Still rose and leather. A big, red, yummy rose. :D

Conclusion: I love this! I thought I'd hate it, but I love it! This is such a great, tough rose scent. I'm so happy. :P My mom, however, hates it and says it smells like pure patchouli.

I just got an imp of this today and I can't stop sniffing my wrist!

On me the leather and rose are in perfect balance. It's sexy and feminine, but not at all overpowering.

My heart is officially broken. I was truly expecting this to be a signature scent and I am so sad that it didn't work.

In the imp it was rose and...something. Definitely rose though. I couldn't wait to try it.

On my skin, wet and dry: To me it wasn't so much "rose and leather" as "rose and latex"- only the rose wasn't real, it was the artificial rose scent from the Glade solid air fresheners, the ones they sold before the plug-in kind became popular (are those even still around?). Damn body chemistry. I waited for hours, hoping it would morph into the scent I was dreaming of, but it didn't happen. Off to the swaps, I'm so sad to say.

Edited by lilirose

ROSE! Rose rose rose, rose rosey rose rose. Rose rose roses. Rose rose, "Rose rose?" Rose. Rose rose rosely roses. Rose.

Ok a little later a bit of leather came out. But rose amps big time on my skin.

As with all leather blends, in the vial, this smells kind of chemically-treated, which usually makes me nervous about putting it on my skin. However, today was just calling out for a little bit of Whip... so on it went.

I'm really happy that the rose is being good. I love rose, but I've recently admitted that some of the roses don't work for me, namely the ones in Persephone (so sad!) and Bulgar rose. They smell sharp, acrid-- this rose is soft and lovely. The leather has a slightly sweaty-skin smell to it that I adore. This blend is warm, and not nearly as threatening as the name suggests. It suits me very well.

...Wow. You guys aren't going to believe this.

This is a rose scent that works on me. :P

It smells like those rose-flavoured sweets, or rose Turkish Delight (which I love!). No leather just yet, but it's only just drying down. This is pretty much Rose SN for me at the moment. Very pretty and girly. Maybe bottle material, especially if I can find something to layer it with.

Edited by Jenesis

In imp, all I get is leather - it's sharp, and not quite pleasant.

On my skin, the rose comes out a little more - I have a very wary relationship with the leather note, but it's balanced nicely with the rose here.

When it's dry, I can't pick out the leather; it's just richly sexy, and surprisingly subtle.

I just adore this. I received it as a frimp in my first lab order, and I hadn't read the description before sniffing.

My first reaction: "Mmmm, rose. With... something else.... Is that... leather?"

(After which my boyfriend made a face, then said, "No way, lemme smell!" :P )

To me, this smells like a first date: When the cute guy who really likes you bought a new bomber jacket to wear and brought you a dozen roses, all because he wanted to impress you.

A rose scent that isn't too girly, but has a hip spirit to it, evoking biker babes rather than grandma's doilies.

And it lasts and lasts.

I'll be buying this in a bottle!

MMMMmmm this is oh so sexy....

In the imp: I cant quite smell anything. It seems soft, faint, and slightly floral.

On skin: Rose explosion! It comes out quite strong and you get the rose heavily on top of the black leather. Its not a cloying or grandmotherly rose, however. Its the rose of a sexy mature woman. Think super sexy older domanatrix. She's still hot, and better yet knows exactly what shes doing. Whip makes me want to put on my corset and call my husband up to the bedroom.

All in all I love this one! :P

Wet: Smells strongly of roses. There is a hint of something under it that's more like incense than leather. I'm curious how this one ages.

Dry: It goes through a phase of something like the bastard child of leather and cold cigarette butts, with no hint of rose. Then that fades and the rose comes back with almost no hint of leather. Weird.

Verdict: I love the rose scent in this one so much I don't miss the leather. The imp is a keeper, and maybe a big bottle candidate.

I LOVE WHIP!

:P

i totally get the rose and the leather...both are soft and subtle, perfectly blended to the point you can't distinguish the scents from each other.

when i got this imp i instantly fell in love and bought a bottle.

when i wear this fragrance i ask people to smell it and tell me what they smell and they always say they're not sure, but they love it.

when i tell them it's rose and leather, they sniff it again and then they smell it in there.

perfect, perfect, perfect...and genius!

beth does it again!

Soapy car interior. Leather generally doesn't work on me, so that's par for the course - but I'm surprised by the soap factor as I usually can do rose.

On me, Whip is just the damp red rose. The leather isn't showing at all. I'm hoping age will bring it out.

This was a lab frimp -- probably wouldn't have ordered it myself despite my liking for BDSM things. I'm a bit leary of most flowery smells, although I really do love the scent of roses...

So, of course, because I was trying to be cautious I ended up almost spilling the imp all over myself -- not quite drenched in it, but certainly enough oil on my wrists to run down instead of sit where I put it. Oops!

Wet -- Rose rose rose -- a very lovely rose, but still, that's all I get

Drydown -- the leather is starting to come out, and it's a very nice counterpoint to the rose. It's warm and comfortable and soft.

I have a set of black and red wrist and ankle cuffs in this lovely butter soft leather. That's what this scent makes me think of. I keep getting whiffs of rose, then the leather curls in around it and makes it such a warm and comforting (to me) scent.

Verdict: not a bottle, because I do prefer other types of scents, but I'm not trading the imp :P

In the imp, rose and leather.

Wet on me, the leather gets very noticable for a short time. As it dries, the leather and the rose become more balanced.

On me, it settles down eventually into a lovely rose with a bit of leather underneath.

In the imp: What the description says. Exactly.

Wet: beautiful big blooming red roses, either dewy or perhaps in the rain.

As it dries down, the sharpish leather comes into play. It makes me think of holding a big bouquet of red roses while wearing a black leather jacket. I loved this blend, truly, and slathered, and that's when I found out my fiancé was allergic to roses. :P

This isn't a Rose Red rose...it's more of a tea rose. A tea rose's sweetness tempered by the leather's earthiness. Very pretty, and soft, and a little gloomy. Very pretty though.

I usually try to avoid roses, but the lab included 2 frimps in my latest order so I felt like it was a sign. This smells just like...my mom's house?? She frequently has a saddle in the living room and Whip reminds me of saddle soap. The rose isn't bitter at all - it's almost mellow. I'm really glad I tried this - it might be a rose scent that I can actually pull off.

why, why, oh why?! i wanted to love this blend soooo badly. at first, it's a lovely marriage of piercing red rose and deep, smooth leather...yum. then, it gradually goes topsy-turvy in favor of the leather, and it downgrades into leather-scented air freshener...those little cardboard trees scented like leather or "new car." dab namit! but i'm stubborn enough to try pairing this one with rose red to see if the heroic rose in that one can contend with the essentially single-note leather in this one. i just hope that if it works, the leather will be a little more, uh...high grade than what i'm sniffin' now. here's to high hopes! :P

not sure what this smells like... I was contemplating it for a dungeon smell (*hides* hehe), but I'm thinking that would require something more innocent smelling for me and something more diabolic for him. >_< It's a nice scent, but unless my boyfriend likes the way it smells on me I'll probably let him wear it.

ADDED July 16:

it should be noted that upon further inspection this scent gives me a raging headache... UNLESS it's on my bf's skin. Something about his skin chemistry makes it perfect and not headache-inducing! Not only that, but it's very... er... how to put this...

It made me jump into his arms and bite his neck. :P It smells sort of like a gentleman spy. Perfectly prim and proper and wearing a tux or whatever is appropriate for their station, stopping in between kicking bad guy arse to dust their clothing. :D Leather seats in a sports car, bowing and kissing the hand of the damsel in distress, never letting a vulgar or angry word mar the perfect British accent. *drools*

What was I talking about? Oh right. Hehe! Whip. Good stuff, extremely good stuff. We've decided this is Mr. Rachel's scent for the time being. In the unlikely event something else comes along, it's still a nice one. NOT BDSM-ish in the least, as the title would have you believe, but definitely one of those "OH WOW" scents on the right person!

In bottle/imp: Very fresh, realistic rose with a bit of a clean note in the background.

Immediately on skin: The rose is this is very fresh smelling. It’s sweet and dewy, like you just pulled a rose out of the cooler at the florist and smelled it while it still had little water drops on its petals. The background note is sort of leatherish, but it’s clean, new, shiny leather… like a new leather whip just waiting to be unwound and slashed against bare flesh. This also has a bit of a clean dryer sheet type note with the leather.

After a little while: I still smell that fresh, dewy rose, but the leather in this blend is still that new, crackling leather with a little hint of fresh laundry. It’s a well-balanced scent and the rose really behaves well with the leather.

Overall Impressions: This is a sexual, kinky scent… but it still seems wearable. The leather in this isn’t heavy, masculine leather; it’s more new, smooth black leather that’s waiting to be broken in. This is on the sweeter side, so I’d say it has a feminine edge, but if you’re looking for a feminine leather blend and don’t mind rose, this may play nice with you.

Exactly as advertised right out of the bottle. Leather and roses. I like it. On my skin, however, you can mostly just smell the roses, and I'm not sure I really want to smell so much like roses. I don't think this one's for me.

Oi vey...I am not too optimistic about this one. Both leather and rose are generally fail notes on me...

In the imp this is smells pretty much exactly like the description-rose and leather. Not bad, but not really my thang.

Yep-on my skin still leather and rose. Kind of like someone has a bouquet of roses in the back of a brand new leather seated car :P Hmm, the leather gets stronger the longer this is on my skin. Leather is just not something I want to smell like!

I would say this is just a leetle stronger on the leather than the rose, but if the description sounds like your bag, you should check it out.

In the Imp: Faint rose and leather. Wow.

On the Skin: Strong rose and leather. Wow.

After a While: Strong rose and leather. Wow. Almost turns a bit soapy, which is odd for me, as rose doesn't tend to do that.

Verdict: Wow. Weird. I love it! Also, who doesn't just LOVE that description?? :P