Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

Bottle: Rose, much darker than in Lucy's Kiss.
Wet: I can smell the rose and leather in equal proportions. I'm thinking leather doesn't like me, I'm already getting a funny nose tickle.
Dry: The leather is really stepping forward, and it's clearly the bit grabbing the end of my nose and making my forehead furrow.
Later: Ok, Spill rose oil on the leather seat of a Harley Davidson. Add something, I don't know what exactly, sharp-smelling and the sweet of flowers destined for the trash. That is what this smells like on me. Gah. Not a rose blend for me, nope.

Holy....Hannah!

I am going to permanantly affect the shape of my nose from butting the palm of my hand against my nose as I sniff my wrist!!!

I loved the description. I am one of those people who could stand outside the leather store in the mall for hours just ... inhaling. Same for the roses in the cold room at the florist.

Now, it's like the florists cold room is wrapped in leather. I love this. A lot. ::sniiiiiiiiifffff..:::

Oh yeah baby...that's the one.

My very first big bottle order. The rose is wonderful and red and lush and WET in the bottle, which makes me very happy. Once on my skin, it slowly dries down to an almost powdery scent. But in a good way, because it's a soft rose that's still vibrant and sexy, but hides it's thorns under a dainty surface. My mother described it fondly as smelling like the rose powders her aunt used to wear when she was a fashionable young woman.

In the imp: Rose. Not a bad rose, though.

On me: A powdery, perfumey leather. Like a biker wearing my grandmothers perfume.

I had a nasty allegic reaction to this, so I had to wash it off before it dried down.

I was so excited to get to swap for this! I've come to love the rose scents now and Whip just sounded too good to pass up. This is all velvety red roses in the bottle. Freshly cut roses with just the smallest hint of green from the stems. I don't smell the leather at all until I put some on my skin. And then, oh my! This is the first oil where I could smell the leather. Such a wicked perfume! This smells as good, if not better, than I had imagined. Love Whip!

Whip smells just as promised when it's still wet and just after it dries. But after a bit the leather goes away and the roses depart soon after. I can just catch a vague whiff of them several hours after. I love the wet stage because the leather really does something lovely with the rose. But even with re-application this oil is very fleeting on me :P I'll leave the imp sit for awhile and try again later, because I really like this in the beginning.

Mmmm, smells like leather and rose! Suprise! :D The rose is first and foremost, strong in the bottle and upon application. The leather comes out in the drydown. Another bottle I'm going to need. :P

Hmm~~ this one seems to change on me.

The first time I put this on, the leather overwhelmed the rose~ the smell of the leather was way too strong for me, so I washed it off.

Today I decided to give it another go, though, and this time the leather seems to be much more subdued. The rose is definitely not innocent, nor is it old lady-ish~ it's definitely a womanly, sexy rose. The leather is still there, but lurking more in the background, and gives the rose an extra bite.

Verdict: The changing intensity of the leather is a bit strange. As I'm not a leather fan, I think I like it enough to keep the imp, but I definitely won't be getting more.

Imp: A big bouquet of wet David Austin English roses, the ones specially bred to retain old rose scent.

Wet: Rose, but much greener. It's not as sweet as tea rose - still big drooping blooms - but not as overwhelming as in the imp. Throws like crazy, though. I feel like I'm drenched in rose oil.

Drydown: The leather is bouncing in and out. It's more suede than the polished black whip-leather I was expecting. Something in this does not agree with my skin, as just under the oil I'm feeling some heat and prickling. At 15 minutes, the leather and rose blend quite well, but then...at 30 minutes, I can't tell whether I'm so overwhelmed by rose that I can't distinguish it any more, or whether Whip's disappearing.

45 minutes: Almost completely gone except for a lingering whiff of face-powder.

Verdict: Not for me. I had a similar experience with Ouija, and am starting to think that my skin eats rose in a terrifyingly efficient manner (gobbling up all its friend scents at the same time). With the throw that this had wet, I am astonished at its rapid disappearance. We'll see whether DeSade sticks around longer without the rose note.

Whip - If I close my eyes, I could almost believe I'm surrounded by summertime red, red, red rose bushes. The instant I opened the imp of Whip, I smelled true and fragrant rose. It reminds me of the lovely bouquet of fresh cut red roses my DH gave me on Valentine's Day. After applying to my wrists, it's still a strong scent, but not cloying or overpowering. It's exactly like what you smell when you press your nose into the center of a red rose at its peak. Oh but wait...what's that? The slightest hint of leather! The leather note strikes almost immediately, but is subtle, and definitely quieter than the rose, but it smooths out the rose and rounds it out quite nicely. I think I might have to purchase a full bottle of this! If you love true rose scents, I definitely recommend it. So far, of all the BPAL roses I've tried, this may be the nicest. [Edit: every single time I wear this to work, the guys I work with constantly comment on how good and fragrant both me and my office smell. They really dig the Whip!]

This took me by surprise! YOWZA. The rose is sweet but not cloying, and the leather is just the right combination of soft and sharp. It is at first a rose scent, lush and dark without being too strong, then the leather slowly but steadily comes up to accompany it - not over power, not as an undertone, but almost to *mirror* it. The scent is surprisingly complex for only having two notes, and rather than screaming it makes its presence known subtly, and makes you feel like it was *always* there, but you only just noticed it.

this is how i wanted Alice to smell.

clean and innocent and pure, childlike wonder -- or just a little bit crazy.

i really don't get any leather. at all. i get roses and something that might be tea... or might just be fertilizer. dunno.

as fresh and clean as Dirty is... so is the nasty, naughty Whip.

A surprise frimp from someone who'd been checking out my wishlist! :P Roses, for me, are apparently hit-or-miss, but the roses in Whip were the full, luscious, damp red blooms promised. These roses are full-blown, old-fashioned, and fragrant, and they lasted for hours. I was just hoping for a little more leather. There's a hint of it, just a hint, under that floral extravaganza, but not quite enough to give it the balance I was looking for. This one's a little strong for me, but maybe I just need to use the "Whip" with a light hand.

In the imp: sweet sugary roses and sweaty leather. Hrm.

On me, wet: nicer on me than in the imp, even though it's still really just leather and roses. It smells more blended, somehow.

On me, dry: man, this just gets better the longer it's on. The rose sweetens the leather and stops it being too masculine, while the leather stops the rose becoming too sweet and sugary. I'm not sure it's very sexy, really, but it still smells nice.

Verdict: I keep worrying this will tip over into being too sugary-sweet, but the leather does a pretty good job of restraining the rose. Very pleasant - soft and warm and womanly without being too overt.

In the imp: Rose! Red rose and leather, just like the description! Not just any rose though, but a fresh wet rose, still on it's bush, not picked. This is the most true to nature rose scent I have ever smelled. Amazing.

On the wrist, wet: Amazing, this really does smell like a rose, not a rose scent. Wonderful.

Drydown: I love this! I have never been able to wear a rose scent like this, most of them morph funky on me, but this one is wonderful!

Final Analysis: I never got the leather on my skin, but this is an amazing scent. I would recommend it to any rose lover!

imp: rose rose rose. Such a clear rose too. Very very nice. There is some leather.

on wet: immediately, I smell like I am wearing something akin to Johnson's baby shampoo.

Dry: Still major baby-shampoo-age. I am beginning to think I will probably never be able to find a clear rose that STAYS clear rose after being mixed with my skin.

Oh well...I shall swap her to someone that will cherish her and to whom she can remain true.

Whip-

In Bottle- Leather and Rose! They weren't kidding.

Wet- Unchanged. Leather and Rose.

Dry- One of the most honest scents I've tried. Continues the leather and rose scent until it fades, neither dominating. And it does not turn musty! Straight rose is not a scent that usually attracts me, but mixed like this it's a different story.

Overall: I like!

Apparently I’m all about the ecstasy. :P There's just a faint hint of leather here for me, and I find it only after a good long time and some dedicated sniffing. Meanwhile the roses are full, rich, and luscious . . . They smell real. They're a little strong for me, but overall I like this scent.

Roses, roses, SOAP, SOAP, SOAP. No leather.

:P That's twice I've had a rose blend turn to soap. Why do they hate my chemistry?

Whip has the same powdery rose as Peacock Queen, but the leather note keeps it wet enough that it doesn't make me sneeze. I can't smell the leather as strongly as the rose.

Ah, Whip! :P Smells like suede and bright red roses. I can see, or "smell", the connection between Whip and Wanda. Wanda is commanding while Whip is playful. A full, almost sweet rose on top of well-worn leather. Probably the best leather scent yet. Stays true in the bottle, on skin, wet, on dry down, and dry. Dry the leather picks up a little warmth and the roses some sweetness.

I will try every last one of Beth's roses, yes I will, precioussss. Even though I am worried about the leather.

Wet, this smells like I expected (and hoped) Rose Red would smell--bright, dewy-fresh rose. I catch one of the roses from Two, Five, Seven. The leather is pretty faint on me, since my skin lurves the rose and amps it. But there is that hint of Wanda on drydown--both the leather and the wine, with a great big dollop of rose on top. Since I'm almost out of Wanda, this is the perfect replacement. Everything goes better with rose. :P

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

Whip captured my heart upon first sniff and it was true love from there! :P :D :D

Whip is a darker rose, obvioulsy from the leather. I find it has a lot of throw and lasts for hours. When wearing Whip I feel sexy, confident, intriguing and fiesty! :D

This is one of my top 10 BPAL scents. Gorgeous!!

In the bottle: Sharp, thin, not much scent, just a bit of a stinging whiff.

On me: I wanted it to be as wet and fresh as Rose Red, but it didn't get there. If the leather had been apparent, that'd have been something, too, but apart from an occasional unpleasant causticness at the beginning of the dry-down, I didn't smell leather, either. It is a different rose smell than Rose Red: the stem and leaf are not present and it is much drier. Authentically rosy, just not what I was looking for.

ok - I'm getting a bit closer to finding my deep bloody rose...

Since I amp rose like there is no tomorrow in about 90% of the blends I was not at all surprised that this one was going to be good.

Wet - it's all about the roses man! There is just a vague hint of leather.

Dry - it's still all about the dozens and dozens of true, huge red roses coming off my skin. But where's the leather?????? I WANT THE LEATHER!!!

This is a gorgeous scent even if it isn't as demonic (the kind of rend your garments scent) as I wanted it to be.

It's a keeper for the heavy rose pile!