Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet pipe tobacco, cherry wood, the warm, worn leather of an easy chair and a pleasant, subtle waft of fireplace smoke.

TMI ~ Day four of my period, and it's being fairly mellow. Dunno what it's doing to my skin chemistry, though.

Note ~ This is the first Limited Edition I have ever tried.

Bottle ~ smoky cherry cough syrup

Wet ~ the cough syrup feel is still very strongly in this one, but it's morphing into a taffy or something -- kinda like HIWTK with 'tude. I'm not entirely certain that I'm happy about this.

Drying ~ Okay, the smoke is really starting to come out of this one, as is possibly the leather.

Drydown ~ This smells like someone dumped caramel on a leather chair and left it to melt by a fire.

Dry ~ Okay, the cherry / caramel scent is now in the background -- whatever it is seems to be merging together to create the tobacco scent. The skin on my face is prickling a little, though. I wonder if I'm more sensitive to oils at certain times of the month?

Fade ~ It's pretty much the same, though now I'm getting that the cherry scent is supposed to be cherry wood from the leather furniture. It's faded a bit over the last few hours, and the smokiness seems to be trying to win out over the cherry scent.

Final thoughts ~ If I'd thought about what it meant that there was cherry wood in this one, I probably wouldn't have bid on it on Ebay. The cherry is simply more distracting than makes me happy. I'm loathe to give it up because it's ideal in other ways, but I'm not sure of how often I'd use it. I'll have to try it again.

As most people have described already, hearth is has a very strong sweet cherry scent that tends to overpower the leather and smoke tones in the fragrance. It isn't unpleasant, but it is extremely strong and sweet. Not quite cough syrup, to my nose, but definitely not the cherry wood fragrance I was expecting.

I had high hopes for Hearth. It sounded fabulous from the description. Unfortunately, I find it a bit too sweet for my taste. If Beth makes a 2005 batch of Hearth, I hope she tones down the cherries and brings out the tobacco and wood smoke. Were this a little darker, a little drier, I think it would be exquisite.

For now, it goes into my drawer to see if a little aging will enhance the dark notes I'm craving.

Hearth Haiku:

Firelight in her eyes,

Drawing into his strong arms;

His pipe forgotten.

I was lucky enough to be able to try out Pookstrell's bottle of this, and I LOVE it! It's not a scent I would have picked, because it doesnt sound very "me" but the sweetness of the cherries just gives it that sweet edge I like!

In the vial this smells - as people have said - like glazed cherries. I like it quite a bit.

When it first goes on it turns into.....

CHERRY BAKEWELL TARTS!!

Oh my god, how much do I wish I could eat one of them right now...HMMM...anyway...

I LOVE this stage, it's really sweet and foody and yummy and great. There was also a weird antiseptic edge to this for a while, which after the cake stage. Luckily, it faded.

After a while, the smoke becomes very dominant - it's not quite as fag smoke as de sade, so I guess the fireplace smoke softens it a bit - but the cherries are still definately in the background.

This smells how I imagine cherry tobacco to smell when it's dry. I hate smoking, but I LOVE Hearth!!

It's quite heavy for the day, but I think it would be great for slightly busy environments. Id be worried about wearing it to the pub, in case it picks up the smoke from there, and it loses the cherry.

Pookstrell thinks this smells like hot car upholstery. I'm sure she'll explain why!!!!

Finally got to try this, thanks to Anais Satin! :D

Out of the vial I got a burst of cherry which soon settled down. Wearing it, I got cherry-woodiness and tobacco and syrupy warmth/sweetness all at once. It's a very strong oil, very warm and perfect for cold weather. I imagine it as dark mahogany in color, if you could see the color (synesthesia, anyone?). I actually wanted it for Brian, since it's more his thing, and it *is* nice on him, but you know who it reminds me of? My dad-in-law. He's the only guy I know who smokes a pipe, and I would say this smells like a very nice, sweet version of his pipe, with the added bonus of cherries. I think this will make a cozy scent to put in the oil burner and pretend I have a fireplace--luckily you don't have to *have* a hearth to smell like one! :P

In the vial and on wet - maraschino cherries.

A little later, dry - pipe smoke and cherries. Blimey this stuff is strong.

Later still - pipe smoke and a buttery biscuit. This is much more agreeable. It's still pretty powerful but not as overwhelming as earlier on.

Overall - I'm torn on this. I'm not sure if I want to smell that strongly of pipe smoke. It is quite a comforting smell though. I think this is one to be used in tiny quantities to try and prevent the overpowering headachiness initially.

And *keeps fingers crossed for Snowblind for this year*

at first: a very sweet cherry, with the warmth of tobacco. very nice and comfortable.

on: tons and tons of sweet cherries. it's almost overwhelming.

1 hour later: smoky. the cherries smell like they've been doused in maple syrup.

2 hours later: mostly smoke and syrup.

overall: i really like this. i probably wouldn't reach for it very often, but it's a nice, comforting scent.

Initial Sniff: In the vial, this is cherries and pipe tobacco.

Wearing: Mmmmm... the pipe tobacco and leather really come out as this dries. This is warm, cozy and smoky. This lasts and lasts, too, getting sweeter and even more mellow as it wears.

Final Impressions: I'm so glad Jasminepearls swapped me an imp of this! I don't think I'll wear it enough to have justified a full bottle purchase, but I shall savor every drop in the imp!

This is one of the more amazingly gorgeous BPAL blends I have had the pleasure of smelling. Swoon-worthy, definitely.

I was a little unsure at first, as the sheer cherry-power of Hearth nearly knocked me over. That however faded off very quickly, leaving behind a rich cherry pipe tobacco with a hint of cocoa and maybe Bourbon. This is so yummy! I'm sad I didnt get a bottle.

"What smells like maple syrup in here?"

This is what my trickster boyfriend said when he smelled it. I wasn't like he said it smelled good or bad, only that it smelled like maple syrup.

But I don't like the fact other people might think I smell like maple syrup, that definately isn't what I was going for. :P Especially to a party that evening. I had already put a good amount of it on and it wasn't coming off...hope my friends like pancakes! Ooh, sexy!

To me, it smells like either burnt cherry flavored coffee or after hours of wear, a light almost cherry chocolate flavoring smell. I wouldn't say straight chocolate covered cherries because it isn't that good, more like cherry chocolate liquor used in coffee.

This one LASTS. But the thing is, I don't know if I like the way it smells or not. It smells a lot like what Anubis smelled like on me, so I wonder if there is myrrh in this. Myrrh comes off as very sweet or me and honeyish.

I would have to say after 18 hours of wear, I can still smell Hearth. I am still unsure whether that is a good or bad thing.

I did want to point out this oil burned my skin after I put in on. I noticed another person said the same thing so if you have sensitive skin you may want to try this out either on your clothes or in small drops before putting a lot on.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Hearth:

Wet: red licorice? very strong scent.

Drydown: the cherry and tobacco really start to come through as the intenseness of the scent fades.

Longterm wear: Hearth is another scent that I feel would make a great room or bath product scent, but not a personal perfume. Ahh well.

Edited by anmorata

I bought half a 5mL of this one unsniffed because the description captured exactly what I wanted!

Initially I was surprised at how sweet it smelled in the bottle. I expected it to be a bit more smokey and less cherry.

This one happily mellowed out on my skin, losing some of the brash cherry and turning into the cherry tobacco and maybe some kind of liqour, like amaretto.

Hearth definitely makes me think of baking cinnamon bread, a roaring fire, a brandy snifter and some Bing Crosby in the background.

After my husband came home, I couldn't get him off of me :P

And now I find him dipping into my horde to dab Hearth onto himself! It wears wonderfully on both of us. Now it's time to explain to him what "LE" means and how he can't go snooping in my horde and slathering on a scent every day....

So I will definitely be acquiring more of Hearth!

I got a decant from the lovely Mizz cindy from the Lush forum.

To me, Hearth is a daughter of Jack and Shamhain, and a cousin of black Pearl and Perversion, and Sugar skull is the grandfather.

A deep, complex, sweet scent. There is so much more notes than in the description mentioned, for example in the drydown there is apple, dry red apple and apple cider. And there might as well be a slight bit of Pumpkin, and a hint of cinnamon and, and, and...

After an hour the leather had a prominent role but backed off and did't come back.

Hearth is a unique experience and yet, so known but I am glad I did't buy a 5 ml because it's something to enjoy only once in a while. The Imp will last long enough for me.

Also, the BF gets a bad reaction from this, like he has to Jack

Edited by quinkel

this smells like sweet cherry pipe tobacco with just the faintest hint of smoke and leather. i absolutely LOVE it. it's a very comforting smell and takes me back to certain childhood winters...

i got an imp of this off of the comm, knowing only that it was an le, and darnit, i wanted it!

in the imp, it's very golden and smoky and familiar. on me, it went from golden and smoky and comfortable to not. *le sigh*

in my head, though, it's what the weasely house, the burrow, smells like.

maybe its new home will appreciate it more.

Wet it's quite marzipany to my foolish nose. :P

Then tobacco comes out, with leather and smoke and the cherry wood... it's less sweet and more dry.

Lovely home perfume for me, or maybe just a winter one.

In the imp and wet, this is a bit acrid on me. The smoke smell is very sharp and there's definite cherry behind it.

Once this dries, it mellows beautifully. The leather comes out on me and I really do feel like I'm sitting in front of a roaring fire beside someone smoking a pipe in a leather chair. This is so gorgeous and comforting.

Hearth is insanely strong. INSANELY. Industrial strength.

Let's just say that the day I got my decant, I opened the imp to sniff. Hmmm...cherry marzipan and smoke. Interesting. I close the imp without applying.

The scent follows me around for the next 5 hours.

It's an interesting scent...nothing I'd really wear, I think, but...see, I'm scared of applying it :icon_eek:; I mean, if I can smell it for 5 hours *without* applying it, it would proly last 3 days on me (through showers) if I did apply it!!

Hearth is insanely strong.  INSANELY.  Industrial strength.

Let's just say that the day I got my decant, I opened the imp to sniff. Hmmm...cherry marzipan and smoke.  Interesting.  I close the imp without applying.

The scent follows me around for the next 5 hours.

It's an interesting scent...nothing I'd really wear, I think, but...see, I'm scared of applying it :icon_eek:; I mean, if I can smell it for 5 hours *without* applying it, it would proly last 3 days on me (through showers) if I did apply it!!

Gosh, I just love the smokey, sweet, cherry strength of Hearth. I think you're right it is industrial strength...but think of all the money you'd save on buying more of it if you didn't even have to apply it! Hearth is so leather chair, dark room, oriental rug, liquor and pipe to me...I LOVE IT :P

PS - I'm not following you today Josey, I swear! LOL

First sniff from the bottle- Cherry pipe tobacco.

After 15 minutes- This smells exactly like cherry pipe tobacco fresh out of the pouch. The cherry fades after a but leaving the scent of tobacco leaves behind.

Summery- I like this but would never wear it. All I can think of when I had it on was that it smelled like Grandpa's pipe. A nice smell, but I don't wanna smell like a Grandpa.

Bottle: Cherry candy?

Wet on me: Cherry-flavored tobacco?!

5 minutes in: Okay, still cherry flavored tobacco, but less obnoxiously strong.

10 minutes in: something round is coming out below. Make a musk? Almost like a faint cinnamon on me.

25 minutes: Okay, the tobacco is entirely in the background now and I'm thankful for it. (Why did I buy this without reading the description? Jump first think later. Dumb. I'm not a big tobacco person.) But it's reminding me vaguely of a macaroon. I don't like Macaroons either.

To the swap pile, Robin!

Wow, who would have thought it would be so sweet from the description? (Well, besides those who read the reviews first.) It took me awhile to get up the nerve to try it, and reading the reviews wasn't easing my fears.

In the bottle: I didn't pick up cherries at first like everyone else did. To me it smelled more like the way the top part of a creme brulee tastes... sort of like burnt sugar, or overbaked cookies still hot from the oven. Kind of good, but not quite. After reading everyone else saying it was cherry, I gave it another sniff and did get a syrupy maraschino cherry like thing, but still-- burnt sugar over all.

On: Ummm… sweetened condensed milk burning on the stove. This is sickly sweet and on fire. I couldn't take it and washed it off after about five minutes.

I'm not big on foody smells, or super sweet ones, so even if it didn't totally remind me of a horrible kitchen accident it would have gone into the trade pile for that sweet thing alone. Ah well, there's still Hellfire for the smokey goodness.

To me this smells of a slightly smoky christmas pudding, lots of fruit and spices :P . I walked down the street wearing this and I kept getting wafts of almost eau de cough medicine. Now it's been on me for a couple of hours it is giving me a kind of dark, bitter chocolatey scent behind the cherries, very nice.

ETA Reflection has led me to suggest that what I thought of as chocolate was in fact coffee, which to me makes slightly more sense.

Edited by Ajila

Bottle (Imp): Interesting. Sweet, but not sugary or candy sweet. I think I'll like it. Doesn't seem too spicy. 2nd try: Pretty much the same. I LIKE this in the imp.

Just On: Yep, sweet. Is that cherry? If so, it's the first time I've smelled it. Seems a bit overpowering as I put it on, but that could be a tender nose today. 2nd try: I really like this when it's fresh. Perhaps this would be a good one for me to look for a scent locket to wear with it.

An hour or two later: Still a little bit of sweet, with something else there. Fading more than I'd like to see, as I think I like that first splash of scent. Not sure how long this one will last on me if it's getting this faint already. Kitties are unimpressed. 2nd try: Yeah, it fades faster than I'd like. I think my skin really soaks things up at certain times. There is a woody scent there now too.

Around 6 hours: Hmm, this faded away to nearly nothing already. Let's give this a second shot and see what happens. 2nd try: Hasn't faded as much, but still much lighter than I'd like, and the sweet isn't coming through as much. It got blander as it dried and faded, and it's smells sort of like a pipe. A conforting scent to me.

12 hours: There is nothing left at all. 2nd try: I think I'm getting the faintest hint of it, but that could be where it rubbed off on a shirt or coat sleeve too. I wish this stuck around longer, I think I could wear it a lot.

Overall: If this were to have more staying power on me, I'd probably wear it a lot. I love the sweetness that isn't sugar or honey. This is one of the few that doesn't give me powder (I like powder, but it's nice that they don't ALL turn to it) after a while. I imagine this is one I'd get more of if the chance comes up.

After reading other reviews: I guess that was cherry I smelled, and wow, tobacco, no wonder I smelled pipe. Too bad I didn't get the pancake effect that others seem to have, I would have loved it! I'm surely going to nab The Mate and put some on him and see how that goes. I didn't get the medicinal effect, and this rates solidly in the middle out of everything I've tried.

This is my first experience of BPAL scents and therefore also my first review so bear with me.

I got Hearth as an extra little taste (very generous) when I traded (money) for an imp of Cathedral. However I think it's going to have to move on. Not because I don't like it you understand. Anyway, on with the review.

In the bottle - whoa, butterscotch schnapps and christmas cake. Wet - Still butterscotch schnapps, port wine, oh but what else smells like Xmas cake? - Of course, that pouch of pipe tobacco that a Canadian friend sent me in the mail and I still haven't been able to unload onto anyone who actually smokes the stuff!

Licoricey - reminding me of surprise packages - so full of scent. My first BPAL is definitely a demonstration of what Beth is capable of but I'm not sure I could wear it. So intoxicating on first sniff I felt like I was getting high. But definitely brandy custard on Christmas cake is what I'm getting. Nostalgic and warm. Although it makes me lightheaded it doesn't give me a headache. I really like! Drydown - Maybe a touch of leather, for sure. Feels like falling down sleepy after having eaten too much for Christmas dinner. I now have REALLY high hopes for my incoming order if this is what BPAL can do with smells - so excited! PLEASE COME TOMORROW!

My boyfriend K comes home from work then, 20 mins after I've gotten the package and put it on. He doesn't like it but then he doesn't like the smell of pipe tobacco either. Cherry smells, I don't know about wood, just cherry. Oh now I'm getting wood, a little powdery, sandalwoody wood, like that sandalwood necklace I used to wear when I was younger. It's a really yummy drydown I think, still brandy custardy but not quite so tobaccoey. I can almost feel the sixpences between my teeth (a tradition in my family is to hide sixpences in the Christmas pudding). Wood wood wood.

Anyway so soon later K continues to complain about the smell and how it seems to have gotten everywhere, even though I only put on the tiniest dab. He admits that he doesn't like it because his old boss (who he really hated) used to smoke a pipe and stank like me. So then of course, since I wouldn't want to smell like K's old misogynist boss, I had to go and wash it off. Way to spoil my fun! I hope he's not a spoilsport about other scents I receive.

So... the verdict, Hearth is interesting, but I probably wouldn't wear it outside, and my boyfriend won't let me wear it in the house!

Hint to all:

Do not try Hearth if you've got a headache...cause it has staying power. If you're like me, everytime you get another waft of it, it'll be boy, yup, I still feel that pounding, cherry flavoured hammer on my head....not good

Wet it smells really strongly of cherries--Really really red cherry...not candy or boutique candle---real just off the tree dark, strong, winey cherry.

Dry down, the cherry fades a bit into the leather and tobacco, and it smells just like sitting by the fire with Charles Dickens while he sips cherry cordial and smokes a pipe full of Borkum Riff...which would be very cool, just not necessarily something I'd want to keep on my wrist for five hours.

Very male...very older male, wearing tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows male. A Daddy smell.

Not a Kaygee smell unfortunately...but certainly worth the sniff...just for the literary tour...