Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Kurukulla

The Tibetan goddess of love and wealth. Her scent is a harmonious, sweet, enchanting blend of three lotus blooms and three roses.

A wonderfully playful scent. This one actually comes out smelling more fruity on me than floral, for some reason. It's youthful, delicate, and absolutely enchanting. Rose blends are some of my favorites, and this one's definitely top five. Love it love it! On my 5 ml wishlist!! :P

at first: the lab included this as an extra. i hadn't noticed the description before, but it sounds like something i'd really like. a sweet, fruity floral. very pretty and summery.

on: super fruity! this reminds me of peaches or apricots, even though there aren't any in the blend.

1 hour later: so fruity. i really love lotus. there's also the dusty sophistication of the roses.

4 hours later: lovely. it's almost reminiscent of persephone on me.

overall: beyond amazing. i love this! however, i have so many lotus scents that i probably won't get around to buying a bottle.

in the vial i recognize the fruity bubblgumish lotus not detecting the rose, but i am not too worried i usually magnify roses

wet lotus w/ a very light touch of rose...but i feel it coming :P

drying the rose gets bolder and bolder i am thinking it isn't a deep red rose, maybe white or pink but the lotus makes it quite sweet, this is very pretty a feminine. i love a good rose blend keeper for sure.

Edited by shelldoo

The lotus in this makes it very fruity for a long time, rich full bodied fruit, this is decadent and playful and warm. As it dries down I get a touch of rose, but they're lush spicey roses and not dry ones. This is feminine and fun but I'm not a huge lotus fan so I'll let someone who IS try it.

Kurukulla

Very sweet fruit punchy at first. Must be the Lotus. It isn't bad on me, which gives me hope for things like Lotus Moon. The rose makes it smell like ozone-y fruit punch on me. And then the true bpal rose scent comes out on me. I wish I liked bpal rose. Its one of those notes that I thought I liked, but it turns out I don't. It ends up more lotus-y than rosy on me but all in all it isn't fabulous on me.

Received as a frimp from the Lab. Lotus is one of my most evil scents but I forge on ...

BOTTLE: Scary bad lotus.

WET: I just barely dabbed my wrists but already it is way too much lotus for me ...

DRYDOWN: I am so proud of myself for not washing this off. It's not horrible but I think I have to live with the fact that scents with lotus will never work for me.

On a sale of 1-5 I give it a 2.

*falls instantly in love*

Kurukulla is, as the others have said, the smell of wet, juicy roses. I love cooking with roses, making jams and teas with them, and this to me is not just the scent of roses but the flavor of them. Just yesterday, after trying Kathmandu, I was wondering if I would find a lotus-based BPAL scent that would last more than a few hours on me. I put this one on and went to bed, and still smelled of it in the morning (and had some deliciously naughty dreams during the night, which seems indicative of Kurukulla's/Red Tara's nature). I want to smell like this all the time.

Edited by bodegaselkie

Given how much lotus hates me, I almost didn't try this one. But I'm a well-trained little monkey, so I figured since I HAD it, I owed it to the oil to give it a chance.

In the bottle: Sweet! I can smell the lotus, but then I'm hypersensitive. Maybe it won't be that bad.

First on: Woah, so that's what the bubble gum lotus scent people have been talking about is. That makes my teeth ache. It smells like hubba bubba, so sugary sweet. I don't chew gum. I don't want to smell like it. But since this lotus isn't instantly pukey on me like most of them, I have some hope.

Five minutes in: Oooh, roses. They don't sneak through for long, but they're gorgeous, antique roses. My mom had some climbing roses that smelled like this: fruity, heady rose with big velvety red blooms. I like them (and I'm not a rose fan). But the lotus is still there, and keeps intruding its bubblegum.

After about 10 minutes: Oh, there's the pukey lotus. Ugh. Although to be fair, this isn't as vile as most of the other lotus I've tried. It doesn't smell like cheap floral soap. Still smells like bad florals, but it's not nausea inducing. Must be the influence of the roses.

An hour later, it's still got the same scent, but it's all lotus, just not as awful as usual. I don't detect roses at all. It's not terrible, but it's definitely not something I'll ever wear. This will be swapped.

ETA Over 4 hours later, it's actually a sweet candied-rose powder, but it's very close to the skin. Kinda pretty, but the lotus party at the beginning kills it for me.

Edited by Xiabelle

kurukulla.jpg

I get pineapple straight out of the imp. While it is still wet, the goddess...I think she plays tricks on you. The pineapple fades and is replaced by roses, the kind you find in 2 5 & 7, meaty full bloom roses with what smells like lemongrass in the background adding an earthy grounding quality to the blend. I really think this is a pleasing one but give it space, not the sort to put your nose right up against. If you allow some atmosphere to mix with you and Kurukulla, your wildest expectations can be fulfilled here. Really beautiful.

From the bottle:

Oh! i like it! it smells like a sweet drink. very sweet. not overpowering though. sister says it smells like gummy bears. She's right. lol! I feel like im in a candy store!

On me: ok. this softened up really quickly. but it grows stronger and stronger. still gummy bears with a little spicy kick to it.

Two hours later: very nice. i'd most likely want a bottle. and it definately sticks. went to shower and came out and it was still on!

Pretty roses and sweetness! Not candy sweet, but more like a cake. A strawberry shortcake maybe? Very pretty, and it seems pretty stable staying a sweet rose for hours until it finally fades away.

However, this isn't really my favorite rose since moon rose has my heart for soft rose scents.

Wet on me this was iced pears, which was a bit disconcerting :D . As it dried the roses snuck out, overwhelmed the pear scent and then snuck off. Dry on me this was entirely lotus, but not the very sweet bubblegum scent of lotus, but a more powdery, spicy (evan peppery) lotus. It's very sweet, girly scent and comforting in it's own way, I like it a lot :P .

In the vial: PEAR! Uh, I mean, LOTUS!

Wet: My nose still swears it's pear, but it has to be the lotus. Whatever it is it smells ripe, sweet, and delicious. I don't smell any rose.

Drying/Dry: Pear/Lotus with a slight dustiness that must come from the rose.

Yum. This is very nice.

In the imp: Cherry flavored cough syrup? What?

On the skin, wet: Whoa. This is sweet. I'm smelling the lotus, mostly, but the rose is there as an undercurrent.

Drydown: Candied lotus, with roses weaving in and out of the background. It's like a huge pool of sugared lotus blossoms sprinkled with rose petals.

Keeping the imp. Yum.

In bottle: Sweet and giggling. To my nose it is predominantly lotus but the roses creep up and add their color like a blush to a beautiful young face.

On me: The roses vanish away leaving only the lotus, which doesn't much care for my skin. It smells faintly of candied fruit, but in an overripe, slightly rotted way. It makes my nose tingle with a longing to want to like the fragrance, but knowing it ultimately has no chance.

Wet, this smells like floral bubblegum (the lotus, I presume) with a bit of fruity wine in the background. That's probably the roses.

Drydown, the lotus is all alone and any hint of the rose or even the wine is gone. Huh. While I don't hate the lotus, I don't like it enough to enter into a monogamous relationship with it.

Dry, faint bubblegummy lotus.

I ordered a 5ml of this unsniffed so I was a bit more inclined to work with it. Today I layered it with 2, 5, and 7 which is a very fruity winey blend with just a hint of rose on me and it really helped amp up the wine/rose aspect. It's a little sweet but I think it will be lovely come summer. So, yay, my 5 ml will be used. :P

First impression... sweet and a bit watery and musty.

I smell rose and a musky floral I'm going to assume is the lotus. I don't have much experience with lotus blends, but... I can't say that I wish I did.

This is a nice rose, but it's very watery and.. I keep wanting to say "washed". I ave no idea why.

Eeew. dry this is becoming strangely sweet and acrid. Sorry, kurukulla, but you're just not for me!

Now I know where to go for my lotus fix! Intensely sweet, wet lotus blooms. I don't get a lot of rose, it is more a supporting cast here. Sadly it fades quickly.

I've quickly become a BPAL rose fanatic, and I was happy to try Kurukulla. This is delicious, absolutely bursting from the imp at first sniff, and I loved it. Sweeeet. Juuuuicy. Almost intoxicating. Lotus was a new note for me, and I wondered where it had been all my life. I opened up the imp, and started a new dance; loosely titled "Kurukulla is my new best friend". :P

Then it reached dry down. Unfortunately, at that point I really couldn't smell the rose anymore, it became almost pure lotus. I like it very much, but I wish the rose lasted a bit (well, a lot) longer. I could probably amp up the rose note by layering Kurukulla with London, but I'll wait to buy a bottle until I've tested the remaining rose scents on my wish list.

It goes on with the winey rose note from 2,5, and 7 that I love. This quickly fades into the barest hint of bubblegum. That too fades quite quickly and what I am left with on the drydown is a lovely sweet aquatic scent, with the feel of no particular floral. It is very pleasant. Possibly best as a spring or summer scent.

This is a rather underappreciated BPAL blend. I'm a floral-hater, but I love Kurukulla.

First on this smells like rose drenched in pomegranate juice. Very wet and sticky sweet. It doesn't smell like fruit or pomegranate exactly, but that's the impression that I get.

Then the light bubblegum sweetness of the lotus comes out and blends perfectly with the rose. It's a powdered sugar sort of sweet.

The drydown of Kurukulla is just heavenly. I think of pink icing roses on a cake. It's so pretty.

Definitely going to be a 10 ml purchase for me :P

Kurukulla also reminds me a lot of Persephone, which I like, but the lotus (lotuses? lotii?) here are too much for me. They overwhelm the roses and give that distinctive 'bubble gum' note. For those who enjoy lotus, I think this would be lovely.

In the imp It's a sweet, aquatic scent, calm, wise and peaceful. It's like a comforting smile in a bottle. I recognize white rose.

Wet, on skin Hmm... smells familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. I can still smell the white rose, and... Oh! Lychees! To me, Kurukulla exactly smells like the lychees on the rocks. And like the sweet lychee bubble tea I drink whenever I'm in Chinatown...But I guess it's just the lotus that my nose identifies to lychees. :P

Dry: I keep picturing a pond while wearing this. It's a calm, sunny day, and tiny frogs are jumping on lily pads. It stays true to itself, has average throw, and has good staying power.

Edited by Merlu

In bottle: that's definitely some lotus and some rose going on, but nicely balanced. Here's to hoping the lotus keeps the rose from going powdery...

Wet: yay! no powder so far. The lotus is pretty sweet and almost has a honey-like quality. this is similar to moon rose, but a little bit warmer. I like it.

Dry: In the end, the lotus is a little too sweet for me, but it's always nice to find another non-powdery rose.

I'm totally shocked to see that this is a rose and lotus scent. Rose scents don't work on me, lotus REALLY doesn't work on me and yet..... this is lovely. A sweet, summery, rosey floral with a bit of fruitiness to it. Just gorgeous. A great one to try if you can't normally wear rose.