Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Kurukulla

The Tibetan goddess of love and wealth. Her scent is a harmonious, sweet, enchanting blend of three lotus blooms and three roses.

Kurukulla served as my introduction to lotus, and I must say that it made a good first impression.

In the vial, it smells bubblegum-sweet with almost no trace of rose at all. It's only after it's on my skin that the rose begins to come out and the lotus settles out of the bubblegum stage and into something that's more juicy sweet. Eventually the two scents meld together into a rich, ripe fruity scent.

Unfortunately, rose remains something I prefer to smell on other people than wear myself, and it's recognizable enough in Kurukulla that I traded my imp away and gave my love to other scents which are more me. Nevertheless, it's a very lovely fragrance, and I'd recommend it to people who get on better with rose than I do.

Edited by Joie de Combat

I think this was a freebie from the nice lab (must keep better track of what I order and why!)

In in the imp, and at first slather on my wrists: fruit cocktail smooshed with applesauce.

I would not have guessed roses, and I'm not sure what lotus smells like (fruit cocktail?).

It dried down very sweet; not much throw on me, not much excitement either, just kind of "oh, yeah, some sweetish flower stuffs"

(I think I have been corrupted by the heavier wood/resin/amber fragrances that I apparently love)

Will try it again, and see what my daughter (better with the sweet fruit ones than I am) thinks, but for now

great relief that I am not lusting for more of this one.

Kurukulla was another gift from the Lab. I doubt I'd have tried it on my own, but I'm glad to have it as a freebie.

Wet, it's a sweet, almost fruity lotus in all its watery glory that I loved so well in Paris combined with the tart, lush rose from Spellbound. I sometimes suffer the curse of the soapy rose, but not in this blend.

As it dries, the rose fades and the lotus remains sweet. Very sweet. It becomes a bit cloying after a while, though it remains pretty. An hour or so later, the rose comes back and blends softly into the lotus. This is a gentle, feminine blend--a little more cloying and "girly" than what I normally wear, but very pretty. It's definitely a happy smell. I'll certainly use up my imp, but it gets a little too sweet for my tastes as it dries so I doubt I'd get a big bottle.

First Impression: Roses.

Dries down to: Rosewater; then, it turns slightly soapy.

Additional Comments: This is very wispy on me and I wish I could pick up on the lotus, but I don't, so it's not really worth the effort.

Lasted: Less than an hour.

Rating: 2 out of 5

in the vial: Whoa candy.

wet: Oh, yes. This is the lotus note in my old pal Ophelia! Sweet, wet, almost candy scent.

dry: It becomes a bit less candy and a bit more light green watery floral.

overall:A nice, pretty floral. I like lotus, but it gets very strong on my skin, so this seems really close to pure lotus on me.

season: I think...spring.

office-friendly? Yes ma'am.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Sour rose.

Preconceived notions: Three lotus blooms? Three roses? My horror grows with each addition. I don't like lotus or rose, but I can't let an imp go untested.

In the imp: ....Apples? The hell?

On skin, wet: The lotus blooms die off almost instantly, leaving room for the rose to bloom, and bloom, and bloom. A very warm, smooth rose, but rose all the same.

On skin, dry: Rose! Nary a trace of anything approaching lotus. There is, however, something sour around the edges. Might that actually be lotus? Hmm. Whatever it is, it's fairly odd.

Conclusion/Notes: Sour edges aside, this is a fairly nice rose scent, as rose scents go. If I liked rose, I might be adding a bottle to my wishlist. As it is, I wouldn't have given this a go if I didn't have a strange need to test everything that comes through my hands. Rose-lovers will love Kurukulla, and rose-haters like myself will... not. Glad to try it, though.

Edited by Aredhel

(My first BPAL -- got this as part of a big imp sale from sookster.)

In the imp: Hrm... This is kind of sweet, but it says it's got roses in it, maybe it'll calm down on.

Drydown: Why do I smell of apples? Or apple juice -- not the stuff that comes out of a bottle, but what you get when you cut into a really wet apple. And sweetsweetsweet.

Dry: This is way too sweet for me -- the roses never showed up at all, so I'm assuming that the lotus just ate them.

This lasted on my skin for a *long* time -- I put it on at night, and when I went to work the next day I could still smell it at lunchtime (yes, that's after a shower). I guess my skin loves lotus!

In defense of this oil, I do have something of a cold, so I'm putting it away until I'm all the way better to see if I like it more then.

Lotus is one of my favorite floral notes; it's aquatic and sweet - but not too sweet - and light, and always very peaceful. As such, I was really looking forward to trying Kurukulla.

The roses come out to dominate the lotus fairly quickly; it smells vaguely like tea rose to me, though I'm not certain if it's actually tea rose or just the combination. I'm not particularly fond of tea rose, so this doesn't push happy buttons for me, but it mellows fairly quickly into rose under lotus, depth under beauty.

It strikes me that this is a scent for lovers. It's distinctly feminine and soft, innocent and sweet. This isn't a scent for seduction, though; this is a scent for lying in the grass together, comfortable in your skins.

In the vial it smells a little strong, but it is a sweet floral scent that I quite enjoy the fragrance, even though I can’t pick out each note; the rose certainly doesn’t overpower the lotus. When I first put it on my skin, I smell a very faint bitterness in the background that I couldn’t smell in the vial. This bitter note fades over time and the scent of the roses comes to the fore. On fading, this is a very subtle but pretty floral scent; the roses must fade back into the lotus as it's not quite so rose-heavy. It becomes quiet and yet has a lightness and brightness to it. It’s very delicate and soft and feminine.

Edited by kunoichi

reviewed courtesy of Quikslver's GC circle swap

avh_egc01.jpg

Kurukulla

first sniff: like sweet white wine.

tested wet: this is totally fruity -I don't smell rose at all. It's grapes and orchard fruit...nothing heavy - but still very full and lovely.

tested dry: I find it completely mystifying that someone who loves florals as much as I do does not smell ANY flower notes in a big bouquet of lotus blossoms and roses. (scratches head) but I will have to say that this is one of the nicest fruity scents I've tried.

conclusion: This goes on my imp wish list...maybe the next one will reveal some floral notes - I need to give it another try before I deem it bottle worthy.

4/5

hmm... not sure what I think of this. It smells of rose, a little warped (the lotus). I LIKE it, but it doesn't seem to "speak to me" much... like it either doesn't like me, or it just isn't anything that stands out enough for me?

after about 15 mins... this smells sort of like a gumdrop. weird!

I didn't get any floral smell from this, just a sweet sweet smell of sweetness. As I'm not a sweet scent fan, this will be put up for swap.

bottle:

sweet floral rose and something (combined, reminds me of honeysuckle)

wet:

yummy, a different twist on rose! Not too sweet or strong

dry:

lotus and rose - really such a unique floral

overall:

never expected to like this so much but I do! Very feminine and elegant

rating: 8/10

This is a sweet, subtle, unobtrusive floral. It's a bit "perfumey" for me, but it's one of the few strictly floral blends I can wear. I would not hesitate to wear this one somewhere like the office or a church wedding or something. However, it didn't wow me enough to want more. I'm glad I got to try it and will keep it in mind in case I ever need a somewhat conservative scent, but I think for now I'll pass my imp along so someone else can try it.

Juicy, wet roses and sweet lotus. This reminds me of Kool-Aid only not any flavor I've had before. I love roses now and this is another lovely rose blend.

Surprisingly fruity at first, although I'm beginning to realize that lotus smells fruity on me. The roses underneath are not very noticeable at first but dominate the scent when dry. This blend smells sweet and feminine -- I would definitely use the word "harmonious." The notes all combine nicely and the overall effect is soft and pretty.

a bunch of red, red roses. shoved into a vase filled with cherry kool-aid.

pretty, in a strange way.

like a little girl playing dressup, or an adult that refuses to "grow up"

not that i'd know anything about that....

i like this! i'll hafta get a bottle. and maybe learn how to spell the name! :P

Before I was sucked into the vortex of addiction introduced to bpal, I didn't like rose scents at all. Ew. I can't stand chemically, drug & dept. store perfume, and all the rose scents I'd smelled didn't smell like real roses at all.

Beth changed all that. I adore all bpal rose notes - all of them. They're all fresh and lovely. Lotus... well, my mileage varies, so I'm happy to say that the lotus in this blend mixes beautifully with the rose.

In the bottle, it's almost all bubblegum lotus - the rose barely peeps through. Wet on my skin, the rose just opens and blossoms. Ahhhh. :P Midpoint, the lotus mellows and adds just a touch of incense to the blend. Drydown is powdery soft, an echo of the midpoint.

Not a lot of morphing - with my skin chemistry it's a sweet, youthful, very feminine rose.

Bottle- A sweet, fruity scent with just a touch of flowers

Wet- The sweetness is overwhelming and makes my teeth hurt. I could barely detect a flowery scent (roses?) below that.

Dry- That sticky sweet scent isn't as strong, but seems to come and go. Dried rose petals try to push their way through.

Kurukulla is my second-favorite BPAL rose scent. There are simply no words to describe how beautiful it is. Three lotus blooms and three roses combine to create a gorgeous and fragrant sweet, rosy scent. The lotus softens and rounds out the rose and the rose gives the lotus a little pizzazz.

Today, I wore my Kurukulla. I pulled my car up at the outside mailboxes at the post office to drop off a couple packages (BPAL, of course!) and there was a man there collecting the mail. I rolled down my window and handed my packages to him and he said, "Wow! It smells really good in there. You smell great!"

I really love this scent. I have several imps and fully anticipate that I’ll have a full bottle by summer.

Disclaimer: This is another one that never got to the application stage on me due to its floral contents. I've been sniffing things I ordinarily would not try in the course of the General Catalog circular swap, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to apply them.

In the imp: Sweet bubblegum flavored children's liquid antibiotic. Ugh. It might develop into something better, but I just can't stand to put it on. It reminds me way too much of the trauma of having spoons full of something that was decidedly NOT sugar (or butter rum for that matter) shoved into my mouth as a child.

*sigh* The rose is pretty much drowning out all the lotus. I can feel that the rose has been softened a bit but it comes of as a rose scent. It's alright but nothing extraordinary.

I have to admit, when I got this as a freebie in a recent swap, I had no idea it even existd in the catalog. So, looking it up, I became terrified of the roses. all of my rose perfume experience has resulted in nausea inducing headaches and old lady perfume.

I'm pleased to say that this is gorgeous. it's light, crisp, sweet and unimposing. I can see this as a 'skin scent', perhaps even a bath suite complete with scrub and lotion.

Definitely a scent for those "no perfume" days when I want to smell nice and fresh.

:P

Oh my. This one started out sweet and lovely and then morphed into some fruity rose air freshener. Not for me, but probably fabulous on others. I seem to have an anti-rose perfume curse that has applied to everything but Alice thus far. *sobs*

In the imp: Bubblegum and rose. Smells like it would be the tastiest bubblegum ever, but still bubblegum.

On me, wet: very faint rose and sugary-sweet-fruit lotus. very faint indeed.

On me, dry: this is still very faint, but the sweetness seems to have soured on me. I can just about smell the rose trying valiantly to work behind the sourness, though.

Verdict: Nope, not a keeper. I think I'll chalk this one up to lotus being unpredictable on me.