Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Kurukulla

The Tibetan goddess of love and wealth. Her scent is a harmonious, sweet, enchanting blend of three lotus blooms and three roses.

I got this as a frimp in my CD order today.

This is very odd. I opened it up and I smelled the roses, lots of roses. Lots of roses give me headaches. But, I've tried floral scents before that I wasn't sure of in the imp, but they ended up smelling pretty good once on. So, I'm game.

... chlorine? Why would I smell chlorine? For a moment I had to check to make sure I wasn't at the pool.

Bizarre.

No, I think this goes in the swap pile.

This was a frimp from the Lab - thanks lab!

Very pretty - a sweet, juicy pink candy rose.

I never thought I'd say this about anything, especially something that makes my mouth water like this scent does, but - it's too sweet for me! Sweet to the point of pungency, like orange juice concentrate is.

Sadly, not for me. :P

Imp: Bright and juicy and floral, very definately rose in there

Wet: Again, very definately rose! It's nice and sweet and somewhat like bubblegum in a more grown-up way.

Dry: It reminds me of the good-smelling part of a perm kit. Yum! Sounds odd, but I actually like it.

Category: Fruity Floral

Rating: 2.5/5; Nice and floral but a bit too safe for me

Overall: I like it a lot, not that I would really wear it over some of my other scents, but it's a good scent. Fruity and floral and lovely.

Seems that a load of people are getting it as a freebie in their recent orders, me too! Not too shabby, for sure.

Edited by PixieSkull

bottle: pears.

Wet: soapy pears- smelled this before, must be the lotus.

dry: perfect mix of lotus and roses

I really like this and now a new found love of lotus!

This smells like rosy, fruity, lotusy love. It's a thick, dewy, nectary floral that is all body and no restraint. Unalloyed, sugary floral! It's almost berry-like in its richness.

On, it deepens a little to a sweet, light, energetically affectionate blend that is rich the way cream is rich – it's almost overwhelming. The throw is radiant but not too assertive. It settles a little into a very damp, watery floral that is equally rose and lotus, still sweet but a little aquatic.

Sweetly feminine, almost little-girlish, simple and playful and bright. Not my style, but definitely a pretty, pretty scent.

It wears well, doesn't go too dusty or dry, and just kind of fades gracefully out of existence.

Frimp from the Lab!

In the bottle: The slightly-odd rose note that I get in Persephone & 2, 5 & 7 along with a bit of an alcoholic smell. I don't get that in all the rose blends, just some of them. And usually it's worth it to stick with the blend anyway.

Wet: Sweet, sticky roses. Ooooh. This is actually quite lovely.

Drydown: The lotus and the rose play off each other nicely - very sweet and floral, almost fruity but not quite, in a bubblegum sort of way that I associate with lotus.

Verdict: This is very nice, but not anything special on me. I have a lot of rose blends already, but I'm interested to see how this would layer with, say, Alice.

Edited by Christine Daae

This is a scent that I got as a frimp from someone who kindly tossed it in for me since they saw it on my wishlist...

Now, reading other reviews of it has made me wonder WHY I put this on my wishlist..as I really really dislike rose, but do like lotus in some cases.

Oh boy.

Are we going to have 4/4 in the reject pile tonight?

I don't know if my nose is broken or what tonight..but when I smell this in the imp, I don't get flowers or roses or anything..I get something..weird.

Chlorine?

Oh my..now I know I'm not feeling right or smelling right...

*keeps sniffing*

I really don't know what I smell in the imp...so...I shall move on to the skin, and people who are reading this review..please disregard my nose's broken moment.

So I slather this on my arm...

And I'm not sure what I'm smelling..the tea rose is there a tiny bit, and the lotus is there to make it smell - less rose like...but not enough. As it dries, it sadly still stays pretty rosey, and I cannot get into rose smells..they give me headaches.

Swap swap time!

In the Imp : Smells like cherry cough syrup and a cloying floral. The hit is very synthetic.

Wet: Rather like floral crayons, still very cloying.

Later: Still cloying but not as overpowering. A scent bizarrely reminicent of starfruit begins to develop but I also smell something akin to beer- a sort of hoppy scent but sweetened up. Bit of an aquatic note in there too. Hits me very high in the nose, if that makes sense. Almost like air-freshener.

In the end: It fades away rather quickly to a puff of sugary, treacle-like scent on me. I am rather disappointed as I wanted to love this scent based on whom it's dedicated to. I was hoping the lotus would be a muskier type of lotus rather than a sugary one. It's like the rose and lotus clash with each other and do battle. It is much too sweet for me. I prefer darker scents.

I was surprised to find that, on first application, I really like this scent. It is fairly simple, but I love the lotus in it! And, joy, it has the bubble gum note that I just love! (No sarcasm, seriously.) It's more of a fruity note than the old fashioned pink sort, but it balances the roses very well. I wish I could describe it better, but it really is quite lovely. I'll update again if it changes on my skin for the worse!

Rose and lotus, just like the description. I'm not nuts about lotus but love rose, so I thought I'd give this one a whirl. It's a nice blend of the two on me and the lotus isn't killing me like it does sometimes. I think my rose needs are satisfied with Blood Rose and Spellbound, but I'll keep this imp around for days when I want something simpler.

Oh, delicious. This is heady and sweet, the lotus intensifying the sweetness of the rose. It's wet, blooming lush, so fresh. It immediately brings gardens to my mind's eye, green and twining. The only downside, for me, is that it doesn't last very long. It fades to almost nothing within minutes, then leaves only a trace of lotus behind it, if I sniff deeply enough. A gorgeous blend, but too effervescent for my chemistry.

In the imp: Bubblegum. I guess that's the lotus. Reminds me of Jailbait in the imp.

On skin: a fruity floral, very sweet and candylike. A very light rose with sugared petals, maybe a drop of berry. Sweet, pretty, and innocent. Not a bad rose scent. I like it.

this starts out a sweet floral and i don't get much rose, the lotus tends to overwhelm. when it dries the rose comes forward a bit more, but it's still primarily lotus. this is a nice, sweet perfumey floral. just not sure i'd wear it often.

Kurukulla is a simple and perfect floral. It's a very watery scent to me, with lotus lightening and sweetening rose just enough for it to work for me. On drydown it's primarily lotus, with a hint of underlying rose. It's not at all powdery, and that's a big plus. There's not alot of complexity to this scent, and that's fine. It's lovely the way it is. A possible 5mL purchase.

Ah, lotus. Depending on how you're blended you are either the prettiest thing in the world or simply too much for me.

Agreed!

And unfortunately, I had the same reaction as Andrabell to this. The lotus simply amped itself up into cloying sweetness, and no other note couls come through.

Ah well, of to swaps!

And here's a third for that! :P

Lotus has it's moments, but generally, and this blend is no different, Lotus becomes something cloying and unpleasant on me. I WANT to like Kurukulla, because I usually like anything with rose (my soul mate). And I can see how this would smell wonderful on the right chemistry. But on me this is a giant sugar bomb and something I'd let my six year old daughter wear instead. *sad* I hope all the people that CAN wear this blend will enjoy it for those of us who can't. :D

this is amazing. it was a frimp from the lab, a scent i never would have chosen for myself. when i first sniffed it i thought it must be a winey sort of scent; i didn't suspect rose and lotus could be responsible for that sticky, juicy, almost fruity goodness. this is, i believe, my first experience with bpal lotus and i am not disappointed. it's like a floral liqueur and i can DEFINITELY see a big bottle of this in my future.

A frimp from the Lab and...whoa lotus!! :P

Sweet sweet sweet from start to finish. The rose does finally kick in once it's dry, but it's still one very sweet lotus free-for-all.

This is in no way unpleasant, but it's definitely not for me. The boy won't like it either (he seems to favour the dark, musky, patchouli blends on me), so It's the swap pile for Kurukulla.

In Imp: Dawn liquid detergent and kool aid.

Wet: On my neice it smells nice. On me it smells like rotten fruit and fingernail polish remover minus the acetone. This is narsty.

½ hr. Dry Down: I’m getting a general men’s cologne with a bit of powder. Still really strong of polish remover. I can’t let this go on, it’s going into the same pile as Arcana. Must…..wash…..off…..NOW!!!

I loved this one - I found it to be very sweet, almost honeyish, even though there is no mention of honey in it. It didn't smell too floral on me, and it lasted for several hours (my partner could smell it on me after a full day of work). I absolutely loved it - I just ordered a full bottle of it in my last order :P

In the imp: Very sweet & floral lotus. Can't smell any rose yet.

Wet on skin: Still very sweet & lotus dominant. Quite pretty at the moment.

Dry on skin: All I can smell now is a rather uninteresting rose scent. The lotus has gone & I'm just left with roses with a slight soapy smell. I do like roses & rose blends a lot but this is just plain rose on me.

Overall: This is nice & quite pretty but as it ends up as nothing more than rose on me it's quite uninteresting to my nose. I may test it again & see if anything more becomes of it but if it continues to smell so 'flat' then it'll have to go.

This turned out to be a pleasant surprise!

In the imp: there's that rather sickly, bubblegum+sex lotus smell.

Wet on me: still lotusy. Not too nice at this stage.

Then, to my surprise, the ickiness quickly fades and this becomes a sweet, sexy rose. The lotus smells at first slightly green and ultimately like a light but spicy musk. I can easily imagine an Egyptian queen wearing this.

It reminds me a bit of Othello, but I like this better.

Wow, I'm so glad I tried this!

I am finding lately that I have a thing for lotus...so when I got this one as a frimp I was quite pleased :P

I must agree with others before me in saying that this is a juicy rose scent made sweeter by the lotus- I'd say the blend of the two is pretty 50/50. However, there is a rose in here that is not going well with my chemistry and for part of the drydown this scent does sharp and acetone like on me :D . Ick. When it's fully dry it does smell wonderful and the rose is back to behaving itself. I guess the lotus won the battle, or something... I do like this one but I don't think I can put up with the acetone phase every time I'd want to wear it. I think it's much better off in my scent locket, or as a room scent.

Those who like Persephone should definitely try this, though. There is a very similar rich, sweet, exotic feel between these two scents.

Kurukulla

A sweet, light floral with a touch of tartness. I was worried that the three roses would mean grandma-city, but, the three lotus blooms really give it quite a different feel that's a bit hard to describe. Oh, and since it's so airy, it is fragile; I would recommend a heavier application than you otherwise might with other florals.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

3 : I'm not really sure how I feel about this one.