Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

How long will you vindicate evil and accept the face of the wicked? Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Crystalline musk, red benzoin, and vanilla husk.

In The Bottle: A powdery-soft note that I'm betting is the musk, and as I pull my nose away, I get a slight shard of the dry vanilla husk.

Wet On Skin: The benzoin starts to peep out just a bit, bringing a nice resin base into the equation. I'm a bit concerned that the musk is going to stay like baby powder, but hoping it changes on dry-down :nervous:

Dry Down: Alas, the baby powder appears to be in full effect :sad: :cry2:
However, the resin of the benzoin and the very dry husk of vanilla offer enough incentive to hold onto it and re-try in a month or so when it's had a chance to settle down. As the very least, this scent has a warm, soft vibe that I can see being of great comfort to many. In any event, I'm happy to have gotten a bottle if, for no other reason, to support such an important cause during these extremely foreboding times. :hug:

This is in the family of Lyonesse, Zorya P, and Lady Death: Savage. A haunting, gossamer grey scent. Whereas Lyonesse runs aquatic, LDS is more smoothed out, and Zorya P is quite heady, this is a calm, neutral base. Just sweetness and grey, like strolling while it's overcast and you're in love. It's a great skin scent or layering scent if you enjoy this scent family in general, and if you like the sweetly grey quality but those other scents contain notes that aren't for you, this one should be a success.

Wet: This stage screams "crystalline vanilla" to me. Even though it's not a note listed, there's something that smells like white tobacco in here. Definitely reminds me a little of Zorya P. (Maybe not exactly a sister scent, but like cousins at this point.)

Dry: The red benzoin has come out swingin', and it definitely smells different than Zorya P. now. Prominent red benzoin, with some of the crystalline vanilla scent in the background.

While I like this scent, I don't love it, but I think with aging this will smell fantastic. ;)

In the bottle: Silvery musk, powdery benzoin, and just a little vanilla husk.

Wet: The musk is the most prominent note on me, and I do get the crystalline quality of it on my skin. The benzoin is right beside it. I agree with the comparisons to scents like Lyonesse and Zorya P, although I get far less vanilla from this scent. This smells very powdery on me.

Dry: This isn’t a morpher. It’s still a powdery crystalline musk and benzoin scent, which is slightly sweeter than before thanks to the vanilla husk.

After a few hours, I get a bit more of the vanilla husk, and the benzoin has grown stronger and feels more resinous. I prefer this stage of the scent.

Verdict: Alas, this is just too powdery on me. I just don’t think I’d reach for it over the other scents I mentioned. I am happy I bought it to support the cause, though!

Edited by dementia_divine

In the bottle

Crystalline is right. Vanilla musk crystallized in benzoin.

Wet on skin

This gets more resinous once it's on my skin. Benzoin is almost always kind of powdery on me, but in a nice, fancy way instead of a gross way. The vanilla and musk keep this sophisticated.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

This is more and more musk and benzoin the longer it's on my skin. There's vanilla lingering in my nostrils as I breathe out but this is not a tradionally vanilla-esque scent.

Thoughts

I think this is the first scent I've ever had that is vanilla husk and not vanilla, so I didn't know whether to expect straight up vanilla or more of a hint of vanilla. Something about this is almost woodsy, perhaps owing to the vanilla husk. It's pretty nice. This starts out sharp and after about an hour, it softens a bit while retaining a lot of throw.

This is a very rich, deep scent on me. The musk starts out sparkling and silvery reminding me of classic, sophisticated perfumes. However as it wears it becomes more about the vanilla and benzoin and becomes thick, resinous, and golden. Something about the warmth and depth reminds me of ambergris. It's soft and cozy and to me this is the BPAL equivalent of cashmere.

GOD!!!! okay, I literally JUST put this on and rushed to write a review (so this won't account for wear time. I'll edit it later.) I'm buying a backup. Maybe two. This is GORGEOUS. STUNNING. Instantly jumped to my top 5. I will try my hardest to write an actual review and not just gush. In the bottle and fresh on the skin it's musk-forward. Truly a white/crystalline musk. It's a musk that has a fresh quality to it. The red benzoin and vanilla husk combine to back the freshness with something sweet and powdery (but not baby powder powdery. powdered sugar powdery,) and prevent it from becoming aquatic. it's sweet but not cloying or foody - less sugary/more musky than RPG Good. It's a simple blend, but very powerful. It's comforting. It's sexy. It's innocent. It reminds me of being a teenager, but it isn't kiddy. it's soapy but not - it doesn't smell like soap itself, but rather clean warm skin fresh from the shower, wrapped in fluffy white towels (but it's not a 'clean' scent like Dirty.) if you like Zorya P, you need this. if you like Antique Lace, you need this. if you have a nose, you need this. Everybody needs this. it's been a minute since i've had such a strong, overwhelmingly good reaction to a perfume.

ETA: wear time is excellent. put it on before bed and can still smell it, a faint puff of vanilla musk, in the morning

Edited by fenharel

This has become a go-to work scent for me (scent sensitive office).

On me I get a slightly sweet scent - the benzoin?

Slightly cologne-y, like Whitechapel. I think it's the crystalline musk (vs Whitechapel's white musk). By cologne-y I mean that it's very smooth, light, clean skin scent. Not soapy, just reeeeally nice. (I hate commercial cologne & this is not that).

I get dry vanilla, which I don't think it adds to the sweetness because it's the husk.

On my wrist it lasts about 4 hours which isn't bad (for me). In my scent locket it lasts all day (+), with a single touch of wand to felt pad.

Overall it's such a lovely scent and I'm very happy to have purchased it. This is going to see a lot of wear, and I don't really see any seasons being off limits. I could see it being especially comforting during the colder months, but it also worked today while it was very humid and hot!

Psalm 82:2-4 is the first of the Deliver scents I haven't absolutely loved. I was worried about the crystalline musk being close to white musk, which often doesn't work on me, and I was right to worry. The musk was just a bit too high-pitched on my skin, and I didn't get any vanilla for ages. It isn't bad or anything; it just didn't blow me away like some of the others in the series have. I wished it worked as well on me as it does on some of the other reviewers!

ETA I noticed today that my imp is really stratified -- there's amber color at the bottom, clear on top (I actually thought I had just ordered a half imp and it was amber). So I rolled thoroughly, and this time I got the vanilla a lot earlier, and the whole effect was softer. I'm hanging on to this imp to see how it ages. It may end up blowing me away after all.

Edited by Lucchesa

In the bottle: Not much of anything? I'm getting some skin scent and something a little sharp.

Wet: ooh, this reminds me of something...Pedio? Zorya P? It's much less in-your-face though.

Drydown: This is clean, soft, and feminine but my skin just EATS it. Still, I really like it. It's a little sister to the scents I mentioned before and is more subdued. I do like it. We'll see how much I wear it because I'm not a slatherer and I'm going to have to with this one.

Rating: The scent is divine so 8/10.

Edited by Happicuppa

In the decant: Huh. RPG Neutral, is that you?

Wet: Nope, there's more going on here. Neutral is very simple, this is less sweet, more resinous and a little bit dusty (vanilla husk?), and it has a bit of a crisp feeling to it like it wants to be aquatic but can't quite get there. Clean, gently sweet, dry, fairly feminine. The musk is a little bit sharper on one wrist for some reason, I gave it a roll just in case it separated like Lucchesa's did so it's possible I didn't roll it enough.

Dry: This doesn't change too much, which judging by other reviews is possibly because of my tendency to amp vanilla so it's keeping in step with the benzoin. The cleanness backs off a bit in favor of being resinous. The dustiness pushes a bit towards baby powder, but I don't hate it.

I gave Neutral a sniff after wearing this for a bit and they really aren't that similar, I don't know what my nose was telling me. Perhaps it was trying to convince me that I don't NEED to buy an LE when there's a perfectly good, cheaper GC option. But this is warmer, richer, more comforting. Neutral feels like an overly chipper hostess in comparison, and I think Psalm 82:2-4 suits my general anxiety-riddled emotional state better. I have my fingers crossed this will still be around when I can afford to place another order!

Wet: This is a lovely musk on me - sweet, clean, almost-but-not-quite powdery. It somewhat reminds me of the musk from Zorya P or maybe even The Girl, but without the floral notes. As it dries though, it gets "darker" in feel, and grows a bit incensey, which I was not expecting. It's also a tiny bit "woody" (that's not really the right word, but I am not sure what other word would suffice). I wonder if that's the "husk" aspect of the vanilla? This is definitely a scent that I would describe as "more than the sum of it's parts".

Dry: This dries totally different than it opens, and it's not what I expected at all. It actually reminds me of a sort of warm woolly sort of musk, like the one in Unicorn and Ram or Hochelaga. I get no vanilla or benzoin anymore. There's an almost leather or suede sort of feel to it....hmmm. I'm not sure what to make of this, it's not at all what I ad hoped for or expected. I will likely let it age a while before trying again, though I got this when it first came out, so it's not settled for quite a bit...

ETA: A few hours later I noticed that this was back to being a much sweeter vanilla musk, so.....I don't know. Needs more testing!

Edited by LizziesLuck

This ends up being a slightly resinous vanilla on me. Very faint, slightly soapy, but I still like it. I will hold on to it for awhile to see if the oil strengthens. Very low key, but pretty.

Psalm (numbers) was mostly faint and powdery benzoin on my skin. Hints of musk and vanilla. It seemed a little floral, barely, in the way that some baby powders can be.

There was a little strangeness to it, too, which I'm guessing was the crystal. Usually the concept notes smell to me like what they should represent, which I enjoy, but this one just didn't seem to resolve as it should have.

I think this wasn't a match for my skin.

Sweet and complex is my first thought.  My brain has to search for the notes, and I'm a bit stuffy atm, so take my review with a grain of salt... or maybe some allergy medicine.  

This has an effervescent quality at first.  The musk is not one of the typical BPAL musks that I'm familiar with.  If you're afraid of white musk or skin musk, fear not.  I do get vanilla, but it's not a foody or dark vanilla.  I get sort of syrupy, resinous smell early on, (the benzoin) that with the effervesce and vanilla, reminds me of sarsaparilla.  I never get any soap, but the fragrance does go a bit powdery in the dry down.  I get a vibe like Love's Baby Soft or China Rain.  It's pretty, gentle, sweet, and feminine. Very unobtrusive.   

This is a very powdery scent. It has a grey and dry quality to it.

It almost smells as if there could be ambergris or sandalwood in it, but the musk and husk could do that trick to my nose.

It’s remains a creamy powdery scent after drydown.

It’s a skin musk, something that reads as very neutral yet pleasant.

It becomes more resinous the longer it stays on.

Unfortunately, it’s too powdery and a bit too “sticky” for me (i.e. the resins are overpowering the other components).

This is a sweet (not sugary), pale pink crystal. It’s dry, but I don’t get any earthy husk. Mostly pale, lightly powdery, crystalline resin. 

A pink version of The Grey Columns. 
A shiny version of Zorya P. 

Throw is low. No morphing. Will update with wear time.