Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lookingglass

Keichu Nyoetsu Warai Dogu

Proceeds from this blend will be donated to Planned Parenthood. Golden sandalwood, soft leather, champaca resin, and coconut.

I love skin scents that are soft, deep, and incensey for Spring. Keichu really does this for me. The mild acidity of the leather gives this scent lift, and it's not at all overpowering because it blends so well with the tang of the wood. The champaca is light, like a floral tea. Coconut plays a subtle but unifying role, beautifully rounding out and sweetening the blend. It has a similar feel to Hippie Ghost, another favorite of mine, in that it is both earthy and airy.

I know this is the kind of scent that will particularly benefit from some rest after travel, but I’m going to give you my fresh impressions anyway.

First whiff, fresh from the bottle, fresh from the mail: soft, pretty incense. Mostly champaca, but rooted in sandalwood and coconut.

When I apply it to my skin, before I even lean forward to sniff it (on my wrist), I smell coconut wafting. It’s a soft kind of coconut – not heavily foody and tropical.

Wet on the skin: gosh, this is soothing and lovely. It’s hard to say if I get any leather, because everything in here is in the same color scheme, and I think if I am smelling leather, it’s sort of golden brown as well. So, for now at least, it’s blending right in. This scent is light, pretty, and meditative as of now. I would wear it to yoga.

Dry: Much of the same, through and through. Soft, incensed coconut, bathed in a soothing gold light.

In the imp: I'm getting primarily a leather-coconut blend right off the bat, but the leather is soft and well-worn, almost a suede. Coconut is something I hate in food, but I'm coming to realize that I love (non-gourmand) olfactory interpretations of it - it's rich and sweet, almost creamy. There's also a mellow, resinous woodsiness at the base, melding beautifully with the leather and coconut.

Wet: The champaca takes a big ol' step forward, turning the whole thing into a brisk floral tea - I agree with lookingglass. It takes a minute for any other notes to emerge. But once it does, oh. Oh, wow. The floral tea is still there, but the briskness doesn't mask everything else. The leather is a well-loved suede, the coconut is warm and sweet and a bit dry, the sandalwood is most definitely golden (in fact, I'm getting something almost amber-like), and the "resin" half of "champaca resin" is warm and cuddly. I was hoping that the ITI scent would stay true, and it kiiiiiiinda has. It's gotten deeper, more complex, and more well-rounded, but it's still a beautiful golden scent (albeit now with some cream or light green accents from the champaca).

Dry: For a little while, the champaca and coconut give it an almost tropical feel, but eventually the coconut fades and the leather (and maybe the sandalwood?) become more prominent. The champaca resin is still going strong, though, keeping the blend warm without becoming too sultry.

TBH, I was expecting this one to be pleasant but not outstanding - I got it mostly for the Planned Parenthood donation - but wow. I've been lucky enough to find one unexpected sleeper hit in every LE release, and I think this might be it!

As a superfan of Golden Champa Accord, I was hoping that the golden sandalwood and champaca resin in Keichu Nyoetsu Warai Dogu would somehow share similarities with that glorious golden floral nectar. And it does. This is a lovely blend of sandalwood, coconut, what smells like 'brown' leather, and champa. A merged note keeps wafting up, smelling a bit like GCA. No complaints here.

Because of the spread of notes, on drydown this leans woody, incensey, leathery, and tropical at various points. Over time, it only gets more mellow and golden and incensey...very comforting. Great cause, great scent!

Another fan of Golden Champa accord here, but not so much of leather. I don't get any leather or coconut but rather a warm, snuggly and golden champaca. The sandalwood and coconut, I'm guessing, sweeten this a bit, making Keichu a skin scent, golden and ethereal, glowing in the aftermath of copulation.

Soft, low throw, a definite sniffer. Oddly, this goes a little soapy on me. It's not soap soap, but there's this hint. I'm confused because sandalwood, champaca, leather, and resin are usually all A+ winners for me, and I love coconut IRL. I like this, but I don't love it.

I think I would have purchased this, just based on the cause, but the notes really called to me too.

Wet: Heavy on the champaca, which is my least favourite note of the four, but so far it's soft and glowing and I kind of like it. Different than anything I have, for sure. Very pretty. Sometimes as I huff the coconut comes through, and it's downright gorgeous. It's almost...peppery? Like in the way that cardamom can be peppery, if that makes sense.

Dry: This is a really lovely, light incense scent. I don't own any champaca, so it's different than anything I have. It's light, a little spicy, a tiny bit head-shoppy, but I do think I like it. I will have to see if I end up reaching for it. I for sure couldn't wear it to work. But for now, I am keeping it.

This is a golden incense scent. This is one of those that are blended so well that you can't really differentiate the notes without previously knowing what's in it. Looking at the notes, I realize there is a leathery edge, and I can smell the champaca sweetening the sandalwood, which is indeed golden. The wafts of coconut are few and far between. On me, this isn't head shoppy in the slightest.

This actually has a more perfumey, mature aspect- one I associate with CP's Shadow in the Elevator. Not that it shares notes, but that is has the same highly blended perfume quality, and rather smells like something a little more mainstream. I no longer have a Shadow in the Elevator so this'll do well!

Edited by Bassmastadroog

Definitely golden incense! This champaca is ready and willing.

I get a golden incense textured with sandalwood like an incense stick, maybe filled out with a lil amber, edged in flakes of white coconut, and lying on soft leather. I also get musk coming out in the drydown. This is headshoppy for the office, but I love it.

As others have said, champaca is the queen player.

Wet: definitely picking up the coconut, and the incense slowly becomes more apparent. I think the champaca is making this smell fancier than typical incense. And the leather is rounding it out nicely in the background.

Dry: fancy incense. No coconut, no leather. It's actually really nice, but it's not something I would want to smell like.

I'm really on the fence with this one. The golden champaca is the most prominent note wet, and it is a really beautiful, resiny gold scent on the skin.

Then it sort of disappears entirely for about 30 minutes - which is weird - before drying and reemerging into a lovely golden scent that smells like an hippie head shop mated with a fancy accessories boutique and decided to raise the baby in a laid-back beach town in Northern California.

I dig it a lot, but I'm not sure when or where I would wear it - it's not really my style, but I sort of want it to be my new style maybe? In any case, I'm leaning towards getting a bottle anyway. It's for a good cause and I suspect it will smell incredible on a certain fellow of my acquaintance.

Edited by joopjoop

A lovely sandalwood and leather scent, with coconut bringing up the rear. The champaca gives things a resiny quality, but I can't say it all comes together in the end. Between this and Hoiru, which has a similar note list, I'd take the latter.

Wonderfully soft, warm, and flowing. Its smooth golden sweet incense. Definitely getting a bottle. Very wearable and a great cause!

I only chanced a decant of this because leather and champaca are usually death notes for me. But I like to live on the wild side (and support a good cause) so I figured I'd be content with a sample.

This is stunning.

Like other reviews have said, it lingers very close to the skin from the get-go. The leather is warm and worn, and the champaca resins give it a headiness without the risk of giving everyone in the near vicinity a headache. The coconut is soft and toasty.

Certainly more intense than a "My Skin But Better" but I really really love how this smells on me. Off to add a full size or two to my cart! :wub3:

Another swing and a miss for me with this one, and I'm thinking that BPAL's coconut notes just don't like me. Despite all my testing I've only found one I would consider wearing, and even then it was just okay (Black Pearl). The coconut is extremely prominent in this, but it's a weird, fake, sunscreen coconut. The leather and champaca blend with it into a syrupy kind of scent, with the sandalwood disappearing into the background. It is sort of incensey, but not in a way I like. I'll be passing it on.

Coconut, sandalwood, and leather. This is a soft, sexy coconut leather blend. Good throw and wear length.

Sex Toys for Women's Pleasure ~
Soft, sueded, sweet champa coconut on my skin. Warm, glowing and golden, i'm transported to a magical shop filled with ringing chimes, crystals and floating smoke. This is very much like a sister to the other PP scent Fake News, except the highlight here are the glittering, Champaca resins. Wearable and elegant, this makes me feel like a bell ringing, scarf twirling, sun-kissed gypsy with a strap on.

Edited by Jenjin

Beautiful champaca and sandalwood notes, like a high-quality incense. :bunnyluv: There's also a smooth, understated leather note. My husband loves this one, I would definitely acquire more for him at some point!

This is mainly a leather blend on me with sandalwood backing it up. Champaca sometimes amps to the point where it's nauseous on me, but it's just sort of a light incense here, very much subdued. And sadly I don't get any coconut at all. It's actually very nice to have a leather blend this light and pretty; it is perfectly unisex and would be great on anyone but might be easier to wear for women who are less comfortable with the masculine blends. Prosperous Flowers is my number one shunga leather love, but this one is lovely too, and I will enjoy my decant.

In bottle:  Very heady incense.  Champaca dominant with strong sandalwood support, softened by coconut,on a gentle canvass of leather. It's too strong for skin testing.

This is a scent I initially remember not being too impressed by, but I decided to try keeping it to age just to see how that went, and as I test it today, I'm so glad I did.  I used to love leather in all its glory, but now this is more my speed - it's there, and I definitely get it, but it's a softer leather than a lot of blends, sweetened up with the coconut, and rounded out by the other two notes (which I don't know well enough to identify on their own, just that they're adding something, and I dig it).

So, definitely glad I hung onto this, and decided to give it another try, as I almost shifted it to my swaps box since I hadn't found myself reaching for it!

In the bottle, I smell creamy, sweet wood but no definable notes.  The champaca immediately becomes prominent on my skin though.  It's smooth rather than incensey.  After reading the notes, I realize the coconut is probably the creamy sweetness I'm picking up and is more milky than fruity.  There's a bit of a suntan lotion vibe mixing with the other notes.  As this dries down, it does become more smoky.  The sandalwood balances out with the champaca and the scent deepens.  I really like this stage  :;).    Smooth, incensey suntan lotion.  Nice and surprisingly sexy.  

While wet it smells like detergent :( BUT once it dries down, the soapiness went away! It's a warm, cozy resin and sandalwood with coconut in the background. It has very little throw, and I have to sniff my wrist in order to be able to smell it. But that's OK. It's definitely a my-skin-but-better kind of scent. After an hour, it's soft, warm, sweet, and cozy. It is very faint, but it's very nice. It smells like resin and coconut and warm amber. After 3 hours, I can no longer smell it. I really enjoyed it