Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

A perfumey floral that's aquatic and citric. Suddenly it's reminding me of linen perfume, and that's very much a bad thing. Yup, this is a no-go for me.

[ 2 - Dislike ]

In the Imp:A strong, fresh Floral/Aquatic

Wet: It's a little soapy, like something you'd use to freshen up linens. Febreze? It's not bad, but there's something cloying underneath it that seems to be sticking to the back of my throat.

Dry: Softer floral now, I got some compliments on it. It's a very good representation of the sea. It's got a nice clarity to it. It kind of reminds me of visiting the cliffs of Moher in Ireland. It's peaceful, perhaps a good springtime scent.

Overall: Not my favorite, but it wasn't bad either. Fresh, good for springtime in the fresh air.

3 out of 5.

sniffed from the imp: OMG, how have i never smelled this before??? this is beautiful! this is the backbone-scent from sooo many of my favourite BPAL oils! i can't remember who frimped me this, but i owe them!! someone read my most-loved scents list and figured out that since they're nearly all LE i needed a GC i could splurge on.

on skin: i can't describe the notes in this-nothing leaps out at me...this is the scent of quartz crystals. of glass. of swarovski crystals and diamonds. of cool starlit nights with a full moon sitting so low in the sky it could be sitting on a nearby hilltop. nothing floral, nothing sweet, nothing but a cool, clean, crisp and crystalline *pure* scent.

i LOVE this.

after finishing my review, i was reading some others -- i got to this and laughed so hard i woke up the cat. so in appreciation, i must repeat it. because i get it.

Overall: This is really pretty, but simply not in my genre of scents. I'm more a spice gal. Ziggga-zig-ahhhhh.

except, of course, this is very much in my genre of scents.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

A soft and feminine citrus/floral/aquatic. It is pretty and calming, but on me the citrus/aquatic is very reminiscent of the 'Rain' or 'Seabreeze' room/candle scents various places make and there's that general cloying musk which usually indicates grapefruit.

It is nice, but if I was in the mood for this kind of scent, I'd go for Amsterdam or Danube first.

In Vial: super sweet, floral and pretty with a tiny bit of citrus

Wet: Really strong but also really pretty. The florals are even stronger. I think the citrus is still in the background. This also smells like it has aquatic notes. It reminds me of pure, crystal clear water and the sweetness of flowers. Very feminine.

Drydown: The scent of this is really beautiful. It gains more depth as it dries.

Edited by gchris

Imp: Bright, tangy, faint touch of ozone.

Wet: Aquatic ozone with a slight citrus bump.

Drydown: It's going a bit sour and plastic.

Dry: Smells like stale air freshener spray.

My rating: 1/5. It smells pretty in the imp, but goes weird on my skin.

In the vial: floral and citrus, a hint of ozone, not so much salt yet (that hits me dry) and very spring/summery feeling.

Wet: Now the floral is pumped up, I can get the crisp clean scent of ozone and it's becoming very salty.

Dry:For a moment, it's almost too salty to stand but this quickly fades and becomes more floral and crisp than anything else. It reminds me of a sea-sprayed boquet of flowers with a hint of citrus. It's still very crisp and light, and reminds me of the beach in summer. This has a good throw on me, I can smell it hours later, and it is similar to Lignthing on me. Probably because I'm an ozone addict :P

Overall I'd give sea of glass a 4/5 and I know I'd love it more if it were summertime. I'd say this is bottle worthy, because it really is a delicately blended scent and is perfect once it's totally dried down and lost that slap of salt. It's another delightfully fresh and clean scent.

My first real BPAL success! I might be an aquatic scents kind of girl, because this was like a walk by the ocean.

In the imp, I got a generalized sort of "watery" impression with the implication of some kinds of cologne.

When I first applied it, that watery scent hung back in favor of an immediate transformation to a floral. Wet, I got lilacs. It took me right back to springtime in the big backyard of my early childhood, the air redolent with clouds of the pale purple blooms.

The floral impression pretty much dissipated as it dried, leaving aquatic loveliness. This was the first one I felt compelled to dab behind my ears just so I could get a whiff as I moved my head. I'm going to betray my lack of aromatic sophistication here and say that it blended quite satisfactorily with the sunblock I slathered on before we went for a walk by the water here on base. Salty-fresh-breezy goodness, and not too heavy for the South Texas heat. I'll definitely be wearing this on hot days.

imp: generic aquatic.

wet: this has a watery, wet feel but ultimately, it's just an aquatic and turns sharp on me.

dry: this is much nicer in the dry phase, a lightly floral aquatic that feels clean.

In the bottle: Aquatic ozone; hints of salt and flowers.

Wet: More floral. Clean, almost soapy. Less ozoney-masculine on my skin, but still far from feminine.

Dry: Gentler and yet more floral. I'd say it's unisex at this point. The feeling it evokes matches the description perfectly! Light, clean, sparkling.

Summary: Fresh, unisex white-green floral with hints of ozone. Moderate throw and lasting power.

Wow, I don't know how to pick out the notes in this. On me it smells perfectly green and ozone which is exactly what I'd hoped for. Very fresh and light, but with good throw.

I can see myself wearing this one often, especially in warm weather.

24 hours later: I really wish I knew what was in this, seriously. Its bugging me because it smells so familiar. I know it shares a lot of notes with other blends I love, but I feel like there must be some particular thing I'm reminded of.

Edited by iiinterstate

Bottle: Aqua

Wet: Very pure and true aquatic. I don't know how Beth does it!

Drydown: I get some impression of salt, but other than that, it doesn't change from wet to drydown on me.

3.0 outta 5

In bottle/imp: Almost citrus-y ozone.

Immediately on skin: This is a clean ozone type scent with a citrus edge. It’s very “high” and has a salty twist to it. It seems like this almost has no base to this blend; it is a very airy scent that twists and turns as I smell it, but never settles.

After a little while: This has lightened up a bit, but it hasn’t really changed all that much. It’s still a very clean ozone scent with a bit of a light citrus feel. This also smells quite unisex… it’s very crisp and refreshing.

Overall Impressions: This is a great scent if you really like ozone blends. It’s not too heavy or overly sharp, but it is very crisp and clean. This is definitely a unisex blend and I really don’t see it as easing into either masculine or feminine… it is totally gender neutral. It does remind me of Irish Spring and the like, but most ozone lends do.

In imp: Freshly peeled orange.

Wet: Like the spray that squirts out when you dig your finger nail into an orange to take the peel off.

Dry: More floral with a hint of citrus and salt.

Verdict: The jury's out on this one. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Its an extremely distinctive scent. I think it may be that I like it but wouldn't like to wear it.

I'VE JUST REMEMBERED!!! Once its settled down, it smells like Eau de Givenchy! I think I may have to wait a few days and give this one another go. I used to wear Eau de Givenchy all the time when I was younger, so I may well like this given another try. :P

Marks out of 10: 8

I just realized I hadn't reviewed this one!

imp: fresh and green---it IS the scent of Spring...with some flower that I can't quite recall---almost lilac but not quite.

Turns a bit sour AND soapy on me...but smells DIVINE on my mother. The scent of flowering trees/shrubs before they open...cold, damp, fresh, green, NEW LIFE.

I don't get any citrus or sea.

I was really excited to get this as a frimp, a couple of orders back- I'd read a lot of glowing descriptions and I've seen many beautifully created icons.

In the imp, my first impression was citrusy and institutional, like kitchen cleaner. Thankfully, on my skin, it took on a salty, slightly sea-weediness, like the end of a day at the shore, that covered most of the citrus. As the day wore on, the saltiness left, leaving a slightly powdery, slightly lemony white floral, and from time to time I caught a whiff of sweet.

Pleasant, but I think this imp will last me a long time. I don't think aquatics wear well on this Pisces!

Hmm, one of the nicer aquatics I've tried so far. This and Tempest are the only ones that haven't gone to immediate air freshener on me.

It's clean and lightly floral, very slightly citrusy, but not hijacked by lemon. It does remind me of linen fresheners and cleaning products a bit though. It's got an edge of "salt" as it's drying, which is intriguing. Though I've read it, I never really understood that salt could have a smell. I could see wearing this in very HOT weather, as a refreshing, cooling kind of scent when others would be too cloying.

I guess I'll hang on to my imp for a bit, but it won't be a frequent wear.

In the imp, this creates a light, ozone effect - very open, very clear.

On my skin, this is a very reflective scent, bright, shiny, clear - like sunlight off of a mirror.

When it dries, it's all ozone - very pure, very clear. Not for me on its own, but a must-have for ozone lovers and may be good for layering.

I tried this a couple of years ago...I remember thinking "nice aquatic". And maybe it's my chemistry and maybe I've just honed my nose since then, but this scent is LOVELY. There's a grass cologne top note...it smells green, like squeezing a blade of grass. Beneath that is a sweet aquatic smell. I feel like I'm 5 again, lying on my lawn and looking up at the clouds.

Wet: This is electric ozone over sweet florals.

Drydown: The salty aquatic notes come to the fore.

Dry: The salty tang fades, leaving me with a lush wet floral. It's so well blended that I struggle to pick out individual flowers but I think I smell lilac and lily of the valley. It's sweet but the wetness keeps it from overpowering. This is what I wished Cool Water would be!

For a Leo, the water scents play nice on me! I'm a big floral girl anyway. 4/5

In the imp and on my skin, Sea of Glass is an aquatic, slightly salty floral. It's very close to Tempest and Pool of Tears. I can maybe get a crystalline note, but on me, Sea of Glass is definitely more Sea than Glass. I'll keep it for now.

It's aquatic, but it's also sorta salty. There are some light florals in there too. It's fairly sweet and light for an aquatic scent -- it's not like OMG I'M DROWNING IN THE OCEAN. It has a nice, fresh, kinda feminine twist to it. When it's dry it gets sweeter and less salty and I like it more.

Sea of Glass is somewhere between the ozone scents and the citrus ones, putting it in the company of Tempest, Lightning, Embalming Fluid, and Ether. Actually, this smells almost exactly the same as Ether did on me. It's very refreshing, but there's not a whole lot of depth here. Not to mention, it doesn't last very long. This is probably the most accessible of the ozone blends -- it's not harsh or overpowering at all, just clean and pure. Sea of Glass would be good for those who like fresh scents.

3/5

My notes about this say:

A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless lemons.

Don't get me wrong. I like this scent a lot, and for me, it really does evoke the scent of limitless light. It just does so through heavy application of lemons.

The lemon in here is very bright and fresh, and I like it with the sort of ozone-y scent. Works for me! I'm hanging on to my imp.

The latest in a long line of descriptions, my review seems to be a reiteraton of previous ones, but I don't get huge amounts in the way of florals after the initial sniff, and it is one I could wear.

In the imp: This is a lovely sharply floral aquatic. When I first smelled it, I thought 'bath salts', but it's more like a bubble bath or something. It's a melancholy salty aquatic, very much the sea and not the water-lily river of The Lady of Shalott. It does feel very blue in scent, like one of those over-saturated pictures of the sea on a really beautiful day, where the sea is deep blue, 'as the prettiest cornflower and as clear as glass' as in 'The Little Mermaid'.

On, it seems to soften a bit and become a bit powdery. It's weirdly lovely, but less sweet as well. The ozone note seems to come out more strongly. Beyond the initial softening, it doesn't morph much and seems to have a decent throw. The b/f said it smelled like gorse bushes, which is a little random, but I don't get much sense of that myself.

I mostly wore this today to help with the blue-sea-and-beach tone of something I'm writing, which it does perfectly, though for it to be really perfect for my story it should have a dash of sand and salty beach grass! On its own terms, it is very pretty, though probably not one I'll wear regularly.