Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

In the imp and on the skin, I get a sharp ozone-y scent. As it dries, it becomes slightly floral and has almost a sweat pea sort of smell to it. I think I like it. This might make it onto my wishlist.

Frimp in one of my orders.

I wish this had some notes listed because my nose was totally lost during the testing. In the vial, I get a perfumey floral that somehow also evokes crystal clear water. Wet, this became perfumey green florals. During the drydown, it turned into total perfume; it smelled like extremely high end scent kept in beautiful clear cut crystal decants, and remained the same once dry.

This is very lovely and does indeed conjure up images of clear glass, crystal, and something soothing. I'm not sure that this is for me; as lovely as I find it, it's not the type of scent I would imagine myself reaching for often. Still, I give it very high marks and would recommend it for anyone looking for something cool, clear, and aquatic.

Lily of the valley over the scent of a clear lake. The 2 scents don't ever really blend, but this is beautiful. It's rare for me to be able to wear an aquatic, but this works.

Edited by melrose

A crisp, pale green scent that exudes peace and tranquility. There's a mature sweetness in there, something dually sharp and floral. Feels energising to some degree and is subtly mind-clearing. Not what I expected, to be honest. I thought the aquatic note would be more predominant but instead I'm getting florals that are becoming increasingly stronger and a background of bolstering ozone. I like it and will use it during meditation and other spiritual practises, as was my original intention. To reiterate -- not what I was expecting, but still enjoyable.

This has been compared to one of my favourite LEs, Archangel Winter, by a number of people, and I've always been intrigued by the scent description. So, I finally decided to try it.

In the imp - crystal-clear oil, and I can see what people mean about it being similar to Archangel Winter; it has that same clear, fresh-but-not-aquatic, airy-but-not-ozoney, clean and pleasant smell that almost seems to lack fragrance and smell all the better for it.

On wet - This really is a dead ringer to Archangel! Uncanny. Well, at least I know that if I ever run out of Archangel, all won't be lost :D

Drydown - Indeed, still Archangel. I am in love. I'm so glad I tried this, because now I'll always have a backup for when my Archangel runs dry! Sea of Glass has a mildly aquatic note that Archangel doesn't have and lacks Archangel's extreme icyness, but on the surface they are identical. I am beyond pleased.

In the imp: Sharp ozoney grapefruit, a little bit of salt

Drying on my skin: The grapefruit disappears very quickly and leaves a soft, salty aquatic with some very light white flowers underneath.

Throw and staying power: Light throw, 6-8 hours

Colour impression: pale greenblue with hints of very light airy grey

Verdict: Stunning! I love this scent very much!

It evokes pictures of a pale greenblue sea, misty air with the first warm sunbeams shining through, light whitegrey clouds and a fututristic city with high skyscrapers in the background. It strongly reminds me of pictures of Manhattan's skyline.

Modern, calm and unique.

:wub2:

I was very excited about Sea of Glass and I finally gave it a day long trial today. The name of this scent alone excited me. I imagined a very clean, clear, pure scent. I imagine a sea of glass, smooth, glossy, hard and cold but immaculately clean. I imagined a light aqua and green colored scent. I could not resist!

I should probably wait on my verdict because I don't quite have a solid one but I'm reviewing it anyway. Sea of Glass is definitely clean and fresh. It's so clean and fresh smelling that it almost hurts. I'm not great at picking out notes but I'm pretty sure there is floral in there and that is a bit of a problem for me.

I've realized I hate floral scents. Florals irritate my nose and I think they generally smell awful. Sea of Glass is not awful, however. I don't hate it but I don't know how much I like it. The floral undertones displease me but something about it saves me from total dislike. It is a bit strong and verging on irritating but I want to give it another try.

I was hoping for something a bit lighter and fresher. Salty would have also been nice. The florals make it feel heavy and it's just a bit too much. However, I feel some potential for this scent, even if it ends up freshening my laundry like Serpents With Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues. :lol:

Edited by Tenshi

I can't believe I somehow haven't reviewed this yet. Sea of Glass is a extremely light floral aquatic. The floral might be gardenia, as I feel like there is a similar note in Kiss Amongst Discarded Tissues (!), but it is light and airy. This scent feels white-crystal-palest green to me, and evokes a clarity- a refined, slightly sharp (I think there's some grapefruit?) but not biting awareness, I guess, is the best I can describe it.

Very hard to pick out individual notes. Maybe some gardenia, grapefruit, possibly lily of the valley, and a light aquatic. The whole is definitely not the sum of its parts. I like to wear this on stressful days that I need to get a lot done at work, because it makes me feel serene and alert. This scent evokes such a strong image/feeling that it is easier to describe that than the notes. The flowers I think I can smell are white flowers that often have a tendency to make a scent heavy, but there is NOTHING about this scent that is heavy. Very pretty, very gentle, with a light throw but not so light on me as to be non-existent.

This is so lovely. I can't really add to much as what has already been said. This stays almost the same in the imp and on my skin so keep that in mind!

I get really lovely light florals. Not crisp like I like them best but instead rather delicate and creamy almost with a touch of aquatic. Like they have been sitting out in the sun for days and then suddenly it rains. I'm also getting a light citrus note or may be more like a citrus feel. It's positively gorgeous.

On my skin it is just the same except it blossoms becoming even more lovely and a touch less delicate. It becomes sweeter too (my skin tends to amp "sweet" in general so ymmv). What a beautiful light aquatic floral. I positively love it!

You would think this wouldn't be as unique because essentially it's a lovely light floral almost citrus aquatic, but it really is, and it is SO evocative! This is what a sea of glass would smell like; I have no doubt in my mind about that. So crystaline and peaceful and beautiful.

Just beautiful. I don't know if I'll need a bottle, but I may :)

I just tried it today and I am definitely getting salty notes with what me smells to me like herbs also! There is something very calming and beautiful about this scent!

I may have to get a 5ml bottle of it, but I am trying to slow down how much BPAL I buy as I already have SO many Imps and about 8 5ml bottles and it is getting a tad bit expensive!

In bottle: A pale, light green scent with a hint of citrus. It’s sharp and crystalline, a very good combination to evoke the concept. I am not so good at picking out white florals as I’m not that interested in them. Lily? Snow drops? Lily of the valley? It’s a little like embalming fluid and a little like lightening or tempest. There’s ozone and flowers mixed in with the green and the citrus. Wet: I’m not getting the lime anymore, but instead am getting something mostly ozoney and glasslike with a touch of green and white flowers. My natural musk makes it rather more earthy than I was expecting. It’s a lovely little thing either way. Dry: floral ozone. Nice enough. Definitely in the same family with lightening and Tempest.

I am not very good with picking out specific scents but there are definitely some soft white florals(Water Lily perhaps) and a light citrus melding with the aquatic. I imagine a large lake filled with cool water, those greenish clear floral arrangement rocks scattered on the bottom, soft white flowers floating on top of the water and a citrus tree on the shore.

Sea of Glass really is the perfect everyday scent for me, it makes me feel calm and rested and ready to take on the day. A 5ml purchase for sure.

In imp: At first it seemed almost identical to Lightning (my favourite ozone blend), but then a light sweetness comes through. Possibly white flowers?

On skin: Ozone with slight touches of water and flowers; airy, light, clean, maybe with a hint of citrus zest. It is very similar to Archangel Winter, which was more slushy, intense and just this side of too sweet. Sea of Glass, however, is just perfect in its floral sweetness, but would make a fair substitute for Archangel Winter. Over time the ozone fades away and leaves white flowers behind. A little perfumy, but pleasant and understated.

Verdict: Sea of Glass is a lovely, simple, clean scent that distantly evokes its imagery. But between Lightning and Parsifal I have ozone covered. For swaps.

In the Bottle

Wet lilies with a touch of citrus.

On Skin: Wet

It...almost smells like glass cleaner. I guess this is translating a little too literally on me. Thankfully it doesn't last long and it starts turning into this ozone-y citrus smell. Not...entirely unpleasant, but nothing grand.

On Skin: Dry

The citrus is going away and the smell of wet flowers, like lily of the valley and I'm guessing snowdrop, start to come into play. I'm rather divided on this... It is a very clean smell, yes, but I am starting to agree with some other posters that it seems a little "too clean". It is more like Sea of Glass is Sea of Fabric Softener. You know that airy sort of soft floral scent those drier sheets love to use. It's that.

Afternotes

It's becoming even more powdery. Not baby powder-y, no, but powdery. It's like the Sea of Glass just up and turned into dust, or something. I still smell like I just came out of the drying machine.

Verdict

On an American scholastic grading scale, I would have to give this a C.

Sea of Glass is a very pretty and clean scent, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of smelling like laundry fabric softener. I was hoping it would have that clear and icy feel that Lady of Shalott has with its water-soaked gardenias, but no such luck...

Kind of reminds me of embalming fluid in the imp...a light, slightly citrussy white floral blend. Very delicate and clean.

Yes, this is absolutely lovey-kind of what I wanted embalming fluid to be! A fresh, clean white floral with a twist of yellow citrus.

Honestly, this is totally gorgeous and I want a bottle. The most perfect citrus kissed white floral. Just a touch sweet. Doesn't go super powdery. I am in love!

First Sniff: Light and fresh.

Wet: Clean and bright. I think there’s some sort of lily in this. It definitely has a “pure, clean” smell which I like. Not "dryer sheets" clean but rather "fresh day" clean.

Dry: The purity and freshness from this makes me imagine angels. It’s light and pleasant and gives off positive vibes as well as calming and peaceful feelings too. Once it dried completely I did catch some saltiness in it as well. Although still not enough to make me think ‘ocean’.

My Reaction: With the title of this one I was hoping for a stronger “sea” imagery/reaction rather than angelic, but it is pleasant nonetheless. It’s definitely a feminine scent. Unfortunately, it’s so light that it faded quickly on my sensitive skin. Must apply more on bad days for that feeling of tranquility.

Rating 1-5: 3

Sea of Glass

In the imp: Smells like my clothes do after they’ve been sitting in a beach house (unworn and clean, of course!) for a week. Definitely smells like a room spray that I would use in a beach house.

Wet: The ocean! This is the way all beach houses smell. The sweet sea air, a hint of floral (honeysuckle? Lilac?) Hot wooden decks under the sandy sun, washing off with sweet soap in the shower after a day of swimming in the ocean.

Dry: This still smells…nice. A lot of that salty-warm sea air scent has gone and what lingers is the tiny floral note that reminds me of beach-house room spray. This smells almost exactly like a bottle of room spray I bought in college that had a beach scene on the front, actually. It’s not an unpleasant smell at all, and I think I would like it a lot more if my college dorm room hadn’t smelled like this one year. Overall it's a lovely scent but just not for me.

Wet: aquatic sharp men's cologne. The salt and citrus notes are a lot for my senses this early in the morning. Color impression sharp yellow and white with slabs of translucent light green glass.

Drydown: mostly salt and dry yellow color impression. Something about this is reminding me of the weenie called Encroaching Madness. ETA: further into drydown this smells like a beachy yankee candle. Much cleaner and I can smell the florals.

Edited by SophieCedar

Really happy I got this one. I wore it to bed last night--it's that kind of scent.

In the bottle: Say it with me now: Very. Fucking. Comforting. I swear this smells exactly like the interior of some...room that I can't quite remember...I think it was an art gallery, or museum...art gallery might make sense, because an old boyfriend's parents owned an art gallery, and this might smell like their store. That was a very comforting relationship, by the way. It's soft, a bit sweet but not terribly, calm, with a touch of quiet bite.

On, immediately: I quickly smell like underwater. Like...when I'm scuba diving, it doesn't really smell like that, but it evokes it. And quickly it blooms into something...lemony, citrus-y, maybe lavender, some purple-white quiet flower, and a bit of stemmy green. And calm still water. All of these being smells that I adore. And that bite earlier is still around, I think it's aquatic saltiness.

Drying: The flowers bloom a bit, lending a drippy, but not overwhelming, sweetness. And now there's even more of a tang...sort of dry, woody citrus? God, this is lovely.

Reminds me a bit of Shanghai, in fact. Which is my favorite BPAL of ever.

My color association for this: Something in a range of green-blue-purple, but with enough white added to make it a wet light wash color. Freaking delectable. I think I need a bottle of this here smell.

This is one of those florals that I don't hate. It reminds me of a flower I've smelled before that I can't place. Lilac? Hyacinth? Honeysuckle? It's clean but not soapy, but not something I'd wear.

Bottle: Woofta. This is my first experience with the “ozone” note, and I’m sort of ambivalent towards Sea of Glass in the bottle. I was hoping for something less brazen.

Wet: Not much change once it hits skin. Ozone overpowers everything else in the mix.

Dry: I can’t pin down exactly what it is, but there is definitely a floral in here. It resembles the lily of the valley note I just tried in Death-Horse, but it helps quiet down the harsh clean smell this oil was giving off when wet. A few people describe Sea of Glass as aquatic or even salty, but this oil reminds me of no water body I’ve visited.

Conclusion: I personally don’t think Sea of Glass has much personality in conjunction with my chemistry. A soft, white floral with a blast of cleanliness, but not much else. Might be nice for a person with more light, upbeat preferences. For those of us who like like darker, heavier scents, this is a miss.

In the imp: Smells like some sort of citrusy cleaner.

Wet: Ooh. Very clean and bold and airy. I can smell the citrus and ozone notes the most, but some gentle white florals are arriving swiftly. This is not inviting whilst wet. It's more intimidating and awe inducing.

Dry: The florals have really emerged now. They make this scent soft and inviting. Without them this scent would be to self-righteous, as someone else called it. It is very pure and beautiful. I could imagine an angel smelling like this. It also reminds me of Galadriel from LOTR, except it's a little too gentle for her. I will definitely consider a bottle of this.

The following day: This had great throw. I wore it to a friends and she smelled it a few feet away. She said it smelled so soft and that she loved it. My skin seems to make everything smell soft. Maybe that's how it is with everyone. This lasted forever on me. I put it on early, it was still going strong at six pm but I reapplied anyway to show my friend, and this morning I woke up and it was still quite strong. It took me three washes to finally get off. This scent is so beautiful. It makes me think of a lush meadow full of grass and white flowers and one or two citrus trees. A wind is blowing the dark clouds away and sunlight is pouring through and making all the rain wetted foliage shimmer. Gorgeous.

Edited by Klolly

This scent is definitely my favorite so far - granted, I've only tried four or so of the eight imps I own! Haha.

Bottle: smells like...nothing, really, except that weird sour oily note that all these scents seem to have in the bottle.

Skin: Mmm, the oil goes away instantly. I don't know what these notes are, but they're all clean. The initial impression is the wind of a cool day, maybe some kind of flower, and even a hint of salt. It's incredibly calming and I feel very peaceful with it on.

Later On: Still clean! The initial wet impression didn't seem to change much, and it lasted all through a long workday. It makes me feel as though I could forgo bathing if I chose, since I would smell cleaner than anything if I just put this perfume on. Ahh...relaxing.

In imp: green, clean! Definite yes on the "purity, crystalline" scent description. Makes me think of bright light--and you know when you look out on a lake or sea etc and the sun is shining on the water and the water looks like a bed of diamonds? Yes, this is it.

Wet on skin: green, with faint white florals. Clean and beautiful and uplifting, almost healing and rejuvenating.

Dry: beautiful. Sweet and bright and uplifting, slightly tart; pure and crystalline. Green with just a slight touch of floral, and I think a citrus as well. Very spot on with the "sea"--it gets more and more aquatic on my skin as it "ages". Doesn't really morph from the wet phase.

Verdict: admittedly, this was a bottle scent, before I found Parsifal which is now more to my liking. I still love how evocative the blend is, but on the times I've worn it, it does tend to be quite sharp for me, so I'll be looking for a new home for my bottles.

In the vial: Aquatic with a half floral, half salty edge.

On me: A smooth and stable scent of warm salty water with a floral edge that's almost tropical but not quite perfumey. It barely dries down, doesn't morphthe experience of wearing the scent is as much a match to the description as the scent itself. The fullness of the floral balances out the crystalline salt, and the result is smooth as a glass sea, a calm and practiced aquatic. Throw is moderate to low and wear length is moderate.

Verdict: Sea of Glass is an accomplishment, but hasn't won my heart. It well suits the description, but its fleshy floral fullness—despite evening out and opening up the scentisn't to my personal taste; I'd prefer a saltier, sharper water. Objectively speaking, however, this is beautifully done.

Edited by Juushika