Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

I don't remember off the top of my head why I wanted to try this one, although I have better luck with aquatics than other florals. Let's see if this stands up to my Skin of Doom.

In the vial - Strong floral, one of which reminds me completely of Japanese lilac. There's also the ozone and the salt in there.

Wet - I am the floral, I am the floral! Dance, dance, dance!

Drying - ...I know exactly what this reminds me off. This is the scent of the Silver Sea from C.S. Lewis's The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. There is citrus here (not one that I can easily identify) and the white floral I can easily imagine as lily, although the touch of salt isn't completely fitting, but who cares.

Dry (15 minutes) - This stays surprisingly close to the drying stage, other than the lily isn't quite as strong and there's a touch of carnation now, I think. It's gone softer, lighter, and a little bit spicey.

Overall - Very lovely and feminine, but not something I would wear. If I were more of a Chronicles of Narnia fangirl, I'd wear this all the time, since it really does fit the feeling of the Silver Sea. Maybe I'll be able to swap it to someone who'll really love it.

Mmm, Sea of Glass is just beautiful. On a day like today when it's going to be up in the 90's outside (maybe hotter), SoG is very refreshing. I don't know my florals very well but this makes me think of water lilies in a green flowing stream. Very wet and green smelling. It doesn't change much on me from wet>warm-up>dry down, it just loses some of the wet-ness and kind of gains weight, if that makes any sense. I guess I do like aquatics and ozone, because I'm really digging this one. Worthy of a bigger bottle, for sure.

Mmmmmmm... when I first opened the imp it smelled so much like the sea that I could practically feel the spray in my face. Very very wet and aquatic with a hint of grapefruit and a lot of green. It's very refreshing and a great summer scent for those reeeeeaaally hot days. I'm not a big fan of aquatic scents, but this one smells great.

Just after I put it on my skin the green note is the most recognizable, but in about half an hour the grapefruit comes back subtly, only this time it smells like there's some orange in there, too. The aquatic ocean-smell stays pretty strong, too, although it doesn't smell as real as it did at first. All-in-all, the scent is a fresh green-citrus and smells a bit masculine and cologne-y, but in a good way. Not for me, but I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes aquatics.

rating: 3/5

Bottle: lemon

Wet: lemon, a white green floral that I can't place, so familiar

Dry: I still can't place the floral, it's blended so well, I want to say lily but if so, it's a really beautiful, light lily, so unlike any generic lily scent.

As others have said before very white, very fresh, light. Yes, it definitely has a clean, bright water feeling, like the sunlight reflecting off of the water. This blend is just slightly sweet. It's reminding me of another perfume, or of someone who wore this kind of perfume, but I can't remember who. It reminds me of going to church.

This is a white floral that I like, however, I'm not sure this blend is really me at all, and after wearing it for several hours, undecided, the complex associations this scent brings up for me are too much.

Wow, if I had doubted Beth's ability to craft an image scent before, I do not doubt now. This IS the golden, holy, sea of glass. Absolutely.

Even if I have to strain and say it is citrusy and aquatic and all...

Amazing scent.

I only have an empty sniffie of this one, but I did manage to shake a few drops onto my skin...this is such a lovely scent. Now I know I MUST get a bottle. It's very clean and fresh, like you just walked out of the shower. Beautiful!

Oh no, I so wanted to love this, but I don't even like it. I don't know if aquatic scents don't agree with me (I haven't tried enough to say), but this smelled like cleaning products on me. The name and description are so appealing, and I have to say that I am very bummed that this scent does not work on me at all!

Hmmm. From reading the reviews I imagined Sea of Glass as very high and light. On my skin, it's like it's the same kind of scent as I imagined, but an octave lower. It's a very aquatic, sharp, dark teal scent. I like it as a work of art, but I don't know about wearing it.

This scent didn't quite work for me. It is a light floral with a hint of citrus in the imp, but smells a bit dusty when I wear it.

What a great blend! I smell light florals, ozone, maybe a hint of lemon, and something aquatic. It's light and refreshing and perfect for warm weather. I may need a bottle of this.

Aquatics and I don't get along. However, this one is lovely. Light, and ever so slightly floral, a mild, salty sea breeze.

Lovely.

Ahh, this blend is so relaxing. It's a light citrusy aquatic at first, then the florals come out, making this a beautifully calm and clear scent. Very refined and clean. Good staying power; lasts for several hours. I've never cared for aquatics before, but this is so gentle and pretty- I love it.

Sea of Glasswas part of my very first order of BPAL back in 2005. I ordered a 5ml bottle outright..just because I loved the description.

I am now FINALLY trying this... :D

Initial sniff from the bottle: Very clean smelling...faint citrus...a bit of floral and yes..the aquatic is there. It smells like a placid sea..shining, clean, light. If I could assign a color to this it would be translucent...white...maybe a light sea green???

Applied wet on skin:I get more of the citrus...but it's not overpowering..the aquatic with it's soft salt note, some sort of white floral...I think lily too and yes an ozone type note..everything is gentle..a beautiful gentle and clear aquatic.

Couple of minutes on skin:Citrus fades to the background I get more of the ozone,aquatic, white floral party...again all of this is soft and gentle and just radiates a clearness that is calming and not shrill..if that makes any sense.

Unfortunately for me..staying power is nill...2-3 hours tops.. :P ..I wish it stayed longer but then again..that's what re-application is for. Throw is is soft.

Drydown: Skin scent..with maybe a trace of the ozone/aquatic

Bottom Line: Sea of Glass is a beautiful meditative scent for me..quite possibly one of the best aquatics I have smelled thus far from Beth. Commercially speaking, it reminds me of Creative Scentualization's Mare. Although it disappears too quickly on me, I enjoy it nonetheless.

In the bottle: strong floral. A little is going to go a long way with this.

Initial application: WOW! This is the strongest BPAL I've tried yet, and there's a lot going on with it, floral, aquatic, a strong hint of lemon. It's a little much, and the lemon is making it smell disconcertingly like bathroom cleaner. Nevertheless, I'm going to give it a chance.

Drydown: still pretty strong, though thankfully the lemon has died down, making this more of a standard floral than something you'd use to scrub your bathtub. The floral is pretty, don't get me wrong, but this is what I'd call "advanced floral," not recommended for those who aren't sure if they like those notes. The throw is very distinct as well.

Smiley rating: :P

I was a bit shocked by this one. Usually, the Lab's 'clean' scents make me truly, painfully sick, but thankfully, that doesn't seem to be happening so far.

A lot of people seem to be getting water from this scent, but I'm not. I live half a block away from a beautiful Japanese garden, and this is what it reminds me of -- clean deciduous trees, lakes, and water running. Possibly also bamboo. It smells almost exactly like a leaf, if you split it in half and hold it up to your nose.

Unfortunately, this is a very soft scent and disappears almost immediately.

Sea of Glass-

In Bottle: Ooh, yes, lightly beachy floral. A tiny bit sweet, and with the salt spray of sea.

Wet: Pretty, light; tropical floral with an emerging clean soapiness.

Dry: A lovely aquatic scent, very light! Aquatics and I have a careful relationship; I find them interesting but they're not quite me, being a little strong. But this one is likely the nicest of the BPAL aquatics I've tried.

Overall: Very nice--I like it as much as I can like an aquatic scent.

I received the imp from the generosity of Mountaingrrl.

In the imp: It smells just like my Aunt Verna's bathroom. She loves the scents that mimic the ocean, but to me smell sort of chemically floral.

On me: I think it really should have been named Nirvana, because it smells like Teen Spirit. It smells like a girls deodorant. It has none of the aquatic notes that the description promises.

Would it work on a guy: No. It is eminently feminine, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Simply gorgeous. Very evocative, and difficult to describe--there's citrus in there, aquatics and light florals (lily?) that take over on the drydown, but they're blended so well that you really can't speak of this scent in terms of notes. Just a clear, pure, serene scent that fits its namesake exactly. I've gotten a bottle of this; it's very uplifting and calming, and would probably make a good meditative blend.

In the imp: Wow, this is great. Faint lemon twinkling underneath bright sharp ozone. It may be the ozone, but there's some quality in the background that puts me in mind of teeny white flowers: not a florist's bouquet, but the shaded sweet verge of a meadow.

On me, wet: Essentially unchanged. There's a slight tip towards Lemon Pledge™ but it seems to be holding its own against the urge.

On me, dry: Still ozone, maybe a teeny hint of lemon echoing but not really "there"... and hunh. Something warming underneath... white musk? Can it be? It's reminding me of the late trail-off of Iago. Very gentle, but definitely there. This is a great scent.

This is probably my favourite bpal scent so far. And it lasts FOREVER on me, if I put it on in the morning, it's still there in the evening (though of course, more faintly).

In the bottle it does smell a bit lemony, but once it's wet on my skin, it's no longer quite so lemony. As it dries, the lemony smell fades even more (still there, but not so strong) and it's just this gorgeous bright aquatic floral, and that scent pretty much stays that way.

I love this, so uplifting and feel-good. It reminds me of a bright sunny, but COLD sea.

I hadn't planned to review this scent, but upon opening I discovered I had been a victim of the Evil Imp Caps of Doom. One good yank and a quarter of the imp's ear went flying. lol As I am now drenched in Sea of Glass, I think it would behoove me to review it! :D

In the vial I mostly smell grapefruit and sea salt. As I adore grapefruit, I'm now much happier that the Sea has inundated me. On my skin and clothes, all kinds of florals emerge! The grapefruit disappears on one wrist and emerges on the other. The scent now puts me in mind of sea salts dissolved into a pampering theraputic whirlpool bath at an upscale spa. It's very luxurious and relaxing. I would use SoG as an aromatherapy blend when I needed to feel pampered. It would also make an amazing bedtime bath oil, or something to spritz on pillowcases. This would be wonderful to take with me when we go to Monterey or Santa Cruz for an ogle-the-surfers weekend at the beach. :P

Soft, beautiful Sea has almost no throw and has disappeared from my clothing in less than an hour, which also recommends it as a nighttime or bath blend. A faint aroma lingers on my skin, but for the most part my skin drank it right down.

VERY yummy stuff! Now I want to hunt down the practical jokester Imps in charge of defective caps and smack their behinds - this shouldn't have been wasted! Guess I'll just have to get a 5 ml bottle... :D

MMMM....this smells so good. After getting back from visiting home (Pawleys Island), I opened this and was in heaven. It smells like the beach sans the cocoa butter.

Aquatics light with a faint floral backing. It's not as heavy as those named like Tempest, or Lightning or what not and not as floral as many of the other oils that bear it's name. The more I think about it, it's a ligher version of Lady of Shallot. It's pretty but not just for me.