Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

I feel bad because I just read all these nice positive reviews, and the scent doesn't work on me at all.

In the bottle, it smells to me like wet lilies of the valley. I have a memory of this scent somewhere.

On, it smells like cleaning products (I think that's the ozone) and lily of the valley. It's like I've just mopped my kitchen and crushed a bunch of flowers over it.

I'm glad it works for so many people, but it sure doesn't work for me.

This is stop #2 on the Beth's Aquatics hunt that Undertow sent me on.

Sea of Glass is all about ocean. A lot of salt, a lot of ozone, a lot of citrus. On me it has amazing throw, and no morph, which is very cool. I still have a lot of blends to try, but I have to say I have a hard time imagining there is another blend that is more straight-up SEA than this one is. It's almost tide pool strong.

I made sure to get a 10mL of this before the big bottles went away. It's clean, but not simple. I get a kind of soft sweetness, almost a fruity feel behind the initial sharp purity. It's really beautiful, and a scent that I wear just for me.

I am in love with this!! No joke. I went and sprung for a 5mL of this right off the bat, because I had a hunch that it was "me", and I'm so glad I did. It's just divine.

The overall smell is very clean, fresh, and light, without being soapy. I can't quite put my finger on everything that I smell in this, but I definitely smell lily of the valley and ozone, two notes that work extremely well on me. There is also something salty there that I can't put my finger on at all. It's hanging there in the background adding depth to the scent and pulling everything together beautifully.

I keep wanting to say that this scent "sings", because it really does... some beautiful, angelic song that you would expect to hear in a dream. The site description fits this scent to a tee. This also reminds me strongly of the ocean. I lived near the ocean most of my life and only recently moved away from it and am now missing it terribly. This scent completely brings back to me all that I loved about the sea, along with all the happy memories I have connected with it.

Overall, this is a beautiful blend. Very clean, very feminine, and very unique... all the things that I look for in a scent. I may even have a new number one favorite. I highly recommend it, especially if you like lily of the valley, aquatics, or ozone. I can't even tell you how much you will like them together.

:P

Edited by glass_cat

i was sorta not looking forward to this. i heard a lot of people like it, but im not big on aquatics. even though some test said those are the kind of perfumes i like. o_O'''

imp: floral water

skin: yay more floral waterishness. ok a minute or two later i'm getting this citrus thing people are talking about.

pretty blend but again, not my thing.

In the bottle - Lemon Juice?

Wet on me - Bright green and citrusy, but also slightly creamy

Dry on me - Soft, powdery and pretty non-descript

Overall - Nice enough, but this just doesn't do it for me

I was expecting a more aquatic scent when I sniffed the bottle, but when I applied Sea of Glass... whew!

I was overcome with a distinct floral scent that made my throat itchy.

I really wanted to love Sea of Glass. :P

Sea of Glass

What a wonderful scent. Upon first sniff, it's just a rich, sweet aquatic scent that reminds me of dawn over a misty lake.

wet on the skin: nice hasn't morphed much at all.

dry on skin: it's almost too sweet with what seems to be a floral note in it as well.

It's a wonderful aquatic scent, but I prefer Olokun to it.

This is one of my favorites. It goes on smelling like salt and ozone. On me, it smells fresh, breezy and crisp. When I wear it, I find myself constantly with my wrist against my nose, I love it so much. It smells familiar, and the first time I put it on was like coming home.

Weirdly, when I wear this it smells exactly like a Platonic ideal of perfume. I think "perfume" and Sea of Glass is exactly the archetypal (or, if you prefer, generic) scent. Not sure yet if it's something I want to buy a full bottle of, because although I very much enjoy wearing it, it doesn't last very long on me. Although it smells lovely.

Salty daffodils!

Seriously. It reminds me intensely of freshly cut spring flowers. Daffodils, crocus...I don't know.

There's also this weird salty/chlorine-y thing. Like a swimming pool, but good.

Underneath it all is this really yummy scent that reminds me like the smell of a My Little Pony.

Note: Mid cycle. Imp fresh from the Lab.

In the bottle: Pleasantly citrus and... lily? Gardenia? Very fresh. Somewhat as I would imagine the edge of the sea in Narnia with Reepicheep sailing away. "Where the waves grow sweet...There is utter east."

On me: Wet, I get a lemony fresh smell, but that goes away fairly quickly. On drydown, I have a fresh, gentle floral aquatic.

1 hour+ later: Stays fairly true to original drydown. It is rather lovely, not an annoying floral, but it is floral none the less. I don't know how much I will wear it.

I abolutely LOVE this one. It is just simply beautiful. Crisp and refreshing floral that does not turn out powdery or soapy. I keep sniffing it because it reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on, but comforting and exciting at the same time.

Makes me think of sitting in a blooming garden catching the scent of the ocean air.

I will definately be buying a bigger bottle! :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Frimped! Thank you lab :P

This is a lovely light (and yet complex) floral aquatic, with a very clean and pretty vibe. It's the kind of smell I want to wear every now and then, as a change from the more heady and heavy fragrances.

This lasted overnight so (for me) that is good lasting power.

This one arrived fresh from the Lab, and I discovered when I went to test it that the imp was one of the notorious decapitated ones.

A double swipe of the wand over my wrists, close my eyes and sniff..........all I can think of is standing on a cliff overlooking the ocean, with the seabreeze wafting wonderous scents from the huge bunch of white flowers I'm holding. I can't pick out any one flower, but I would swear that there's white roses in there.

This is a truly angelic blend and it seems to like my chemistry. Don't know if I'm an aquatic kinda girl though. :P

Verdict: I'm going to use up the imp somehow....jury is still out on whether I'll invest in a bottle.

In the bottle, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that yes, this does make me think of the seaside. It's not the scent of the beach, but it evokes the feeling of the beach and the ocean. I couldn't say what any of the components are, though. My nose isn't that fine-tuned, I suppose. It's a very sharp scent, though.

On me, unfortunately it got very perfumey very fast. I don't know how else to describe it; it just smells like commercial perfume. It doesn't remind me of the beach anymore. It just reminds me of the perfume counter at a department store. :P

Aquatic and ozone are two of my hit-or-miss notes. Heavy aquatics smell like mold on me, and ozone in large doses makes me sneeze like mad. Sea of Glass is a little bit of both. It's salty and makes me remember summer days at the recreation center pool as a kid. It's what my swimsuit would smell like after rinsing it out - just slightly chlorined and green.

There are white flowers underneath that are evocative of Ophelia drowning herself in Hamlet. For me, Sea of Glass isn't a peaceful scent. It's the melancholy that Ode to Melancholy isn't. I don't know why, but this one saddens me.

As far as the "crystalline" scents go, this is not a bad one (these type of scents generally range from unworkable to meh on me). This scent is all lemon (which is pleasing enough, but I have plenty of lemon-accented scents) and only after it has been on for about 15 minutes do I start to get the slightest hint of light floral. It remains plain on me and does not morph. OTOH, it doesn't go wonky on me, so if there is white musk in here, there's probably not a lot.

Sea of Glass

a review in dialogue

Geolinguist: Okay, Venice was awful on you. We know you and jasmine are sworn enemies...what are the notes in this one?

Ghost Light: (working the on-line mojo. Poorly) Hmm...no notes. It sounds pretty, though. Let's try it!

Jasmine: (Lurking beneath the waves like some Lovecraftian horror) Heh, heh, heh.

Ghost Light: (dabbing, sniffing) EEEEEEEE!! This is great! I love aquatics! (begins running around the room waving her arms like a muppet) I'm the prettiest girl in the room! I'm the prettiest girl in the room!

Geolinguist: (politely refraining from pointing out that Ghost Light is, in fact, the only girl in the room) Yes, it's very pretty.

Jasmine: (rising from the waves like the monolith in 2001, monstrous in size and demeanor) HEH, HEH, HEH.

Ghost Light (Running in more frantic circles) Agh! Jasmine! Get it off! Get it oooooooff!

Jasmine: (marking the tally - Jasmine 2, Ghost Light 0) Heh, heh, heh.

Keeping the imp? Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, Sea of Glass.

Bottle? Not even allowed in my house.

My first venture into aquatics. I get no peace from this scent, rather a sense of unease. Is it the ozone? It starts out smelling rather citrussy, with that uncomfortable ozone note. Dries down to an aquatic floral that reminds me of a sodden dandelion (it has that trace of dandelion bitterness). Not for me!

I received an imp of Sea of Glass from another forumite. I would never have tried it from the write up of it-it just never would have caught my eye. When I first applied it, I thought of sitting on the beach with a faint salty breeze, and drinking cool water with thinly sliced lemon. I thought this would be the perfect summer fragrance. But then, it transformed into an evil twin of Sea of Glass. :P It turned very heavy, thick and some sort of floral morphed on my skin that just didn't work with my skin chemisty. It is very difficult for me to find light fragrances for summer. I usually end up not wearing anything at all. :D

This was a VERY full imp, I've never seen such a high level from the lab. I usually see at label levels or lower...crazy!

Imp: refreshing!! sweet, soft citrus.

Wet: a floral note that I recognize, but can't name.

Dry: remains in the floral water mode.

Final Thoughts: If I could keep this in the imp form, I'd love it, but whatever flower is in this is too overpowering for me. Oh well. More for someone else to love.

Sea of Glass is Tempest when the sea has returned to calm. It's all cold aquatics and a sweet cleanness. This is an oil for when I feel tranquil, I think, rather than tense.

This is the first Aquatic scent that I have fallen in love with from BPAL. Sea of Glass is simply beautiful and invigorating. Makes me feel very feminine and calm at the same time. I need a bottle of this!

This is the first Aquatic scent that I have fallen in love with from BPAL. Sea of Glass is simply beautiful and invigorating. Makes me feel very feminine and calm at the same time. I need a bottle of this!

i agree with a reviewer who says that sea of glass is a "mood scent." it's not something i'd reach for everyday. i was surprised by the way sea of glass smelled upon opening, as i suppose i expected it to be either more aquatic or more light and airy. and it appears others here do indeed find these aspects. but i don't. i get lotsss of lemon (or lime?) and white floral. i couldn't put my finger on what flower really amps out, but i believe it's either magnolia or calla lily. whichever one it is, it reminds me of my childhood, so i can see this scent corresponding with moods characterized as "nostalgic." i suppose i'm a little confused as to how this scent is interpreted as a glassy sea, though it does definitely seem reflective, if that makes sense...very smooth. it's not a combination of scents i'd usually wear but yeah...certain times may call for this.