Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

All the depth, beauty and darkness of All Hallows Eve. Truly the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein.

Samhain '05:

After my experience with Jack, I was afraid this would smell tawdry, like one of those holiday candles, or potpourri.

In the bottle: Mulling spices.

On me: Immediately gets a better mark than Jack: It's more complicated, not buttery. Mostly I'm getting the nutmeg/clove/allspice and nothing of the woods, fir, patchouli. I'll wait a bit....

Within 10-20 minutes the patchouli and fir are coming out, giving it a nice complexity, not overwhelming the spices (I wish they were a bit more prominent.) Cider, spice, a tiny bit of woodsiness. It gets a little piercing when I sniff it up close, but it does remind me of fall in New England as someone else mentioned. I'd still class it as a situational scent (for fall and winter), but that's what the description says, so there you go. I'm not crazy with love for it, but the imp will have a place in my collection.

Edited to add lab description. Edited by Shollin

I put off reviewing this one for a long time - close to a year, in fact, because it's Samhain 2005 that I just (re-)tried, after aging it since last fall. But I think it's now unedeniable: Samhain and I are not meant to be.

It sounded so good to me last fall that I ordered a 5mL unsniffed. But when I tried, it somehow didn't smell like I'd expected... Hard to say why. All the listed notes seemed to be there, but somehow they just weren't coming together, at least on my skin. It seemed a bit harsh and discordant. Kettu felt likewise.

But many people were singing the praises of aged Samhain 04, so we decided that rather than swapping the bottle right away, we'd put it away in a dark place to age until next fall. And just, now, though it's still technically summer, we were inspired by the new Halloween update to pull it out again and see how it had fared.

At first sniff, it did indeed seem richer, and as though the notes had blended together more harmoniously. But on... *sigh* It still didn't really work on me. It was OK when I'd just catch faint whiffs of it, but if I put my nose anywhere near my wrists, it was overwhelming, and also smelled kind of oddly... off. Kettu backed away when I came into the kitchen and refused to be downwind of me, and even the cat ran away after sniffing my wrist.

I think what I can put it down to is predominantly the pumpkin note -- I have found since originally ordering this, that any scent with pumpkin in it is unrelentingly awful on me, a strongly chemical smell like nasty fake food. Plus, woody notes are hit and miss on me, with some of them developing a particular kind of funky "off" smell on my skin (Hamadryad and the Hesperides, notably), which is definitely part of what I smell here too.

So, no love. I tried, I really did, but off to the swaps with you, Samhain.

Grade: C

Samhain '05

This is such a warm scent in the vial, I am getting the nutmeg and the clove pretty strongly.

On the skin, the pumpkin and the fir come out and say hello, it also has an aspect of it that smells of an Autumn bonfire.

Its dry now and it is an utterly gorgeous scent. Samhain is my favorite holiday of the year and this scent captures the essence of it very well. This one isn't as foody as it sounds.. It is more spicy/smokey with that very green fir scent with the foody aspects in the background.

Samhain '05

I've had this one for a while too, and am only now getting around to trying it. In the bottle and fresh on, I get mostly the spices and something sharp and a bit camphor-ish which is probably the fir. Fortunately, the sharp note fades quickly, and after 15 or 20 minutes the patchouli and pumpkin come out and provide a grounding for the spice notes. Over the long term, I get almost a honey scent, similar to the one in O -- it has the same languid, sensual feel without being quite as brazenly seductive.

Staying power is very good; after 5 hours, it's still quite noticeable. Bottom line: I really like this, though it's decidedly an autumn/winter scent only. A definite keeper.

Samhain (2005)-

In Bottle: Oh, interesting. Apple, caramel, powder-spice.

Wet: More of the same! Very sweet, lightly spicy, like...cardamom? Very warm scent.

Dry: I like this. It has a sort of apple cider smell that is less sour than Block Buster, which put me off it a little. And the spice is sweet and pleasant. I will definitely use this one again!

Overall: I like!

Edited by steffanina

Samhain '04

I had such high hopes for Samhain, but it just didn't work out for me. :P Clove is one of my mortal enemies, and the clove just overwhelmed all the other notes in this blend. I would get a glimpse of the lovely, apples and spice fall scent that was trying to come out, but the clove would just immediatly stomp on it. In spite of my skin chemistry, this is a lovely scent for autumn and I can see how it would be lovely on the right person.

Edited by QueenFae

Samhain 2005

The first two times I tried Samhain, all I smelled were the spices and apples...no woods or patchouli. I'm sorry to say it just reminded me of a craft store with artificial holiday scents. It's not unpleasant at all, just sweeter than I was expecting....and really didn't change much from applying to dry.

Later I grew to like it much more. The more I wear it, the more I like it. I think I just had to get past my expectations of what I wanted it to be. It didn't change, it just grew on me. I still don't get much if any wood, patchouli, or fir needle.

Samhain 2006

Not much different at all, that I can tell. '06 seems to have a little bit of sharpness to it, maybe herbal or woodsiness, that isn't in '05. This just makes me like it more! Still on the sweet side, and I've been doing some layering experiments to bring more smokiness or darkness to the blend...so far I haven't found anything better than just wearing it on its own. I did try it with Brimstone and it just became overpowered completely by the Brimstone.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

SAMHAIN 2006

This morning I decided that even though I hadn't tested this out yet I would give it a whirl as my scent for today and it hasn't disapointed me. When it was wet I smelled a lot of apple and little pine (fir needle) with a hint of the darkness of wood and patchouli. As it dried the softer spices became more prominent and something very sweet, almost sugary is present. I can't quite figure out what it is but I like it. The apple faded into the background and I began to smell a smokier scent with a little bit of sweet spice.

I'm afraid I never tried 2004 and I only briefly sniffed someone elses 2005 so I can't compare but this is a very nice blend.

I'm such a fall scent lover and this certainly fits the bill. Thank goodness that fall is here!

Samhain 2006

Mmmmmm, autumn. This is such a cozy scent. It's quite complex- at once woodsy and foody. For me, it's a bit too woodsy at first, but after a few minutes, the sweetness and spice comes out, and it smells like some kind of wonderful pie. Meanwhile, the woodsy notes are still faintly present, and I'm catching a whiff of some smokiness. All in all, this dries down to a very warm, gentle, essentially autumnal scent. It makes me want to stay inside, light a fire, and curl up with a good book!

Edited by Polychrome

2006 version

I'm in love. This is my first real foray into the autumn-type scents, so I'm afraid I can't compare this to the previous versions, but I will be needing more of this one. It's dark and sweet and softly sinister. Something in here is giving me the illusion of honey or tobacco...maybe? It's a sweet and smokey note, and whatever it is, it's very reminiscent of the same thing in DDLM '05 that makes me weak in the knees.

This is amazing. I can't believe what I've been missing with these Fall blends. I'm so converted.

In the bottle: Bottled yum. Pumpkin, spice and sweetness.

Wet on skin: Something in this is turning to licorice on me. The allspice maybe? That would be fine if I liked licorice. Maybe it'll calm down some, and I'll get the yummyness again.

30 mins. later: Still licorice. The pumpkin and apple are starting to peek back out though. A hint of the woods and patchouli too. But still mainly licorice. Must fight urge to wash off. It must get better.

1 hour: more pumpkiny and spicy, but there's far too much of the licorice note in it to make me happy. :P I really wanted to like this.

Final call: I'm going to wait a few days, and try this again. Maybe it's just my body at this time. *crosses fingers*

10/5 ETA: Tried it again. The allspice isn't nearly as strong, and it blossoms in to what other people have been describing. Thank goodness.

Edited by Lyzz

In the bottle: Herbal, with autumn spices.

Wet: Sharp, almost discordant notes.

Dry: Oh YES! It smells very fallish...I can almost smell the crackling leaves. Then there's the pumpkin spice layer...so light, but very present. Very earthy, yet sweet. I love this!

ETA: 2008 Version: it smells sharper to me...there's a mentholish note I don't remember in previous versions. Hmmm.

Edited by savage_rose

Bottle ; wow, I definitely smell the fir, the woods, warm mulled apple cider, there's something almost creamy beneath

Wet: mmm woods, oh the patchouli is so nice in this, I normally don’t like patchouli, but it's subtle here, warm, the apple and the spices are in the background and the mullein is definitely lending an herbal tone, the scent definitely evokes the feeling of walking through autumn woods, the smell of the leaves underfoot, apple cider in hand

Dry: beautifully round apple cider with a hint of pumpkin and spice, a little wood and herb, warm and slightly creamy

This dries out to be predominantly apple on me, but an apple warmed in the autumn sun, ripe, round, slightly spiced, like the best cider with an undertone of leaf and wood and a mysterious hint of autumn air. It's amazing to me that Beth has captures in a bottle exactly what autumn air smells and feels like. Beautiful.

ETA: this is a review for Samhain 2006, haven't smelled the others to compare :P

Edited by Sonnett

2005 version:

Mmm! Apple cider! The clove and the allspice are the most predominant spices to me. Not really getting the patchouli or fir needle. This is definitely an autumn scent - it makes me want a mug of warm cider right now!

Bottle- Smokey pumpkin

Wet- Smoke on the air, boozy sweetness, and spices galore!

Dry- The nutmeg, cloves, and allspice smells float over the scent of smokey woods. There is just the tiniest hint of apple if I concentrate, and the patchouli just gives it a little depth. Hint of booziness is still there- this is very Halloweenie!

This is similar feel of Pumpkin Queen to me in that PQ is the holiday season spent indoors with cider and pumpkin pie, while Samhain is the outdoor equivalent. Makes me think of sitting around a bonfire in the woods with mulled wine. It also smells very similar to Devil's Night 05 minus a lot of the sweetness.

2006- The evergreen note opens up and dominates for a bit and then the pumpkin and patchouli stare each other down. It is a draw, as the spices look on the sidelines. After a while one of the notes suggests everyone chill out and go for a drink and eventually a good time was had by all.

This scent would never appeal to me from reading its notes. Patchouli? Spices? Apple? Pumpkin? Ugh. But I tried a friend's 2004 and 2005 and knew I had to have it. On, I get a quick waft of butter and then a hit of pine and then something indescribable that lasts and lasts. It is sort of thick and tarry and mildly sweet. No apple, no pumpkin, in fact the only note I can detect is patchouli and I hate patchouli, don't I? But I love this.

2005 edition...

In the bottle: apple cider with a touch of pumpkin spiciness

Initial application: somehow, they managed to get the dry, smoky scent of burning leaves into a bottle. Very impressive.

Drydown: the burning leaves smell sticks around for a while, but eventually fades back to the apple cider. Good staying power, I only had to reapply once much later in the day. Very evocative of the season it's supposed to represent, it would also make an excellent room scent.

Smiley rating: :P

I'm reviewing the '06 version.

I was a little afraid of it in the bottle because it was very strong and much smokier than Devil's Night when I sniffed my bottle of that. But you can never tell about BPAL from the bottle, so I bravely slathered some on. Maybe I shouldn't have put so much on because it's very strong even on my skin. At first it's all dark woods and a little of some kind of fir. It's a bit medicinal at this stage, and reminds me of nothing so much as Christmas. I went outside and kept smelling apples, and so did my Mom who was about three feet away from me. Sure enough, it was my perfume. That makes me happy 'cause BPAL rarely has much throw on me. Mom said, when she sniffed my arm, "That smells like that Apple Cinnamon spray we have for the kitchen," so make of that what you will. It's gone from woods and apple to apple cider to apple with - I swear - rose. I like it a lot, but I still think it's more Christmassy than Halloweenie :P

2006 version.

In the bottle and wet, it's very sharp and spicy, almost pungent. The spices are setting themselves in the front and center with the creamy pumpkin staying in the background. Dry, it becomes a bit woody and apple-y sweet. The spices though, are overwhelming almost every other note. It smells strongly like holiday candles, which is lovely but not something I would want to wear.

Samhain '06

Woah, this one is strong on the patchouli, without as much of the apple scent I adore in the 2005 version. On, the patchouli amps all out of control, reminding me of why I don't usually wear scents that contain it. Eventually it settles down a bit, becoming a richly spiced patchouli. Of the two versions, I have to say I prefer the '05, because I just like sweeter scents. This year's is dryer and woodier than last year's, and although very beautiful, it's just not something that I will be able to wear.

My best friend smells stunning in patchouli though, so this will go to a loving home.

(Edited because punctuation is important.)

Edited by Wench457

Ever since I started my BPAL addiction in late June, I wondered what the whole deal about Samhain was, especially since I'm super-patchouli-shy. Not big on smelling like a dirty hippie, and I've had it smell pretty dirty on me in other blends.

BUT

I ordered a bottle to see what everyone was going on about.

Looooooove. :P Starts earthy, smoky and slightly musky, goes woodsy and appley. Ends up as apple cider and pumpkin pie, with a little smoke. YUM. My SO and family strongly second the love.

In the Bottle: Butter, real apples, cinnamon and spices

Wet: Same... except now an evergreen note becomes dominate, now I smell berries, Oh, Lush heaven, you Lushies will recognize this berry note as Blackberry from the Blackberry BB. OMG heaven! And the slightly floralness makes it smell just like the BB with some spice thrown in. Now it is turning slowly to apple cider.

Dry: Now I get a slight whiff of the blackberry with evergreen and spices and apples. *puts more on*

Not what I was expecting from the description but DELICIOUS! :P

Samhain 2006

I'm really dissapointed with the 2006 version! This must be a mistake on the labs behalf, but my bottle smells almost 100% like alchohol. When I put the oil on I get a breif whiff of a really diluted and watered down version of the Samhain I know...and then it just dissapears). It's like a sad sad faded memory of Samhain 2005 :'(

Again, this is probably an error on behalf of the lab. I'll have to look into it.

:D

++ Edit ++

It WAS a mistake :D I contacted the lab and they're sending me a new bottle :P

Edited by CourtneyLynne