Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

All the depth, beauty, and darkness of All Hallows Eve. Truly, the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein.

I adore this! There's something spicy, herby and fresh, definitely patchouli, but also fresh, autumn air and sweet fruits. There are spicy apples and earthy woods, but the whole thing is so well blended that it's incredibly difficult to pick out separate notes.

2006 Version

First Impression: Patchouli and incense.

Dries down to: Tones down a lot into a lazy, smoky wisp of a scent.

Additional Comments: I can't detect any of the spices or the apple but they're serving to keep the whole from being too heavy. Not bad but nothing special either.

Lasted: Overnight.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

First ever order. And...wow. I knew PBAL's oils were strong, but I could smell this through the package O_O

Not what I was expecting, although I can't say I'm unhappy. Very resinous (I think? Reminds me of pine sap), a bit sweet. No apply spices, but oh well...

Of course now that it's drying down I can detect the spices a little. Things have a tendancy to turn sweet on me, I think.

Edited by Roses Ablaze

My first review since being struck with the plague the day before my order arrived. Fate laughs.

In the bottle: Spicy musky something or other.

Wet: OMG! The instant I put this on I started squeeing to my fiance that it smelled AMAZING. Spices and woods and patchouli and APPLES! The apples brighten the scent and really make it come alive.

Dry: This is fantastic because each sniff smells different. One time it's spicy apples, and another it's rich spices and patchouli. There's something almost creamy in the background. This is SUCH a perfect fall scent.

I ALMOST didn't get this, and I am thanking all the stars above that I threw it in last minute because it just shot onto my top ten, easy. :P :D

ETA: Oh, and yes, it's STRONG. Go easy on it, definately, even if you like to slather.

Edited by Lana Blade

My second ever BPAL scent tried...

In the bottle, it smelled slightly...perfumey, I wasn't sure how to describe it, but it seemed more that than foody. On me, at first it smelled more perfumey-incensey than anything, then I looked at the reviews and realized I was probably smelling the patchouli. As it's drying, what smells like cherry flavored tobacco is coming out more, and that's what I originally smelled when I opened the bubblewrap with the three halloween imps in it. Maybe a hint of woodsy-ness.

It doesn't make me want to eat myself the way Creepy did, but it's quite nice, if a little on the dark and heavy side for wearing in the day...I think it might be making me sleepy! I only wish I hadn't broken the imp cap when opening it!

ETA: After having it on about 14-16 hours, it turned into very sweet cigar-like tobacco, with the cherry bits all but gone, just a general sweetness. Kinda icky at that stage, for me.

Edited by roxyhead

Samhain 2006 - Sharp, earthy, heavy, sweet, and slightly spicy. It's not as suffocatingly heavy as the 2005 version, but it’s still too heavy for me. The apple in the 2006 version is much stronger than it's been in previous years, and the pumpkin doesn't become the least bit buttery, which is nice. Still, I just can't hang with the black patchouli (it smells like tar on me), and while I don't have to wash it off, as I did with the 2005 version, I can't imagine ever having a desire to wear this blend.

If the woods and the fir keep calm, this could be an awesome scent. :P Mmm, pumpkin and clove...

In the bottle - This smells floral with buttery pumpkin. It's... not fun.

Wet - This is... odd. Kinda minty and floral and woody.

Drying - Why the heck is this so minty?! There's still that touch of floral, but mostly what I smell, faintly, is mint. It's a really soft scent. I can barely smell it.

A bit later while drying - Oh, ugh! Florals, rotting florals and mint. Where the heck did those come from?! Could it be the wet woods? It's giving me the most MASSIVE headache. This needs to come off NOW.

Dry - Never made it to this stage, it hurt my nose so much.

Overall - Everyone else loves this! What the heck happened with my skin? I'm still suffering the scent headache....

I love this one. It's like buttery pumpkin pie and apple cider, brushed gently by the scent of dry leaves from the kitchen door opening, a wind tinged with ritual, mystery, and sensuality.

Really, it's pumpkin pie, magick, and hot sex. My husband LOVES it on me.

Edited by LadyMedb

Before I got a bottle of Samhain 2006, I'd only tried a decant of the 2004 version. I had a difficult time with it--at first it smelled like cinnamon nail polish on me, then several months later it was beautifully smoky/spicy autumn fruits but the patchouli was too strong. I'm glad to be able to start with a fresh bottle and see how it works on me. So this review is for Samhain 2006:

In the bottle: Smells the same, that strong smokiness with all the autumn-y stuff behind it.

Wet: VERY smoky, but with a good bit of pine needles. As it dries, there's also a hint of the autumnal fruits that others say they smell so clearly. (I rarely get more than a hint from the '04.)

Dry: This becomes sweeter and mellower once it's dry. The apple is actually coming out! And what an apple--sweet and tart and juicy, mellow to the point of being almost creamy rather than crisp and crunchy. Wow. I did like Samhain '04, it was the only smoky-smelling scent I could wear, but this is so much better. The sweetness really balances the blend, and I didn't get that in '04. But it's not like the apple stands out above the smoke or the pine needles--I only get a bit of the patchouli and spices; they stay in the background--they all blend together to make one distinctive scent. It reminds me of one of my favorite parts of my favorite season: going for a walk and smelling all the beautiful scents carried on the crisp air, from sweet apples to burning leaves. This is beautifully well-blended and so comforting to wear, like having a bit of autumn whenever I want. :P

samhain 2004

i was excited to try this since i love mostly older blends, but phew...it smells like sweet pipe tobacco. not at all pleasant for me in a body scent. i'm so overpowered by that icky smell that i can't pick out any other notes.

:P

Samhain 2005

I fell in love with Samhain when I took a chance and bought an imp of the 2004 version. I was determined to get all of the versions if I could and so far I was able to procure the 2004/2005/2006 versions.

I used to think I would/could never like patchouli..but Beth and BPAL have proven me wrong.....and I am extremely thankful for it... :D

ANYWAY..onto the review:

Initial sniff from bottle: Both the 2004 and 2005 versions smell similar..that wonderful melange of the fruit, spices, woods, and patchouli..it truly does smell like autumn itself..and I love it.

Applied wet on skin: Here is where they differ slightly on me..although again similar in feel..I get a touch more fruit in the 2005 version..but both are kind of earthy and smoky..it is such a fantastic fragrance. I am glad that today in NYC it is snowy and stormy and cold..at least I can enjoy this one last time before spring officially arrives.

Couple of minutes on skin:Where in the 2004 version I got a bit more of the fir and woods..but not overbearingly so..so far the 2005 version is similar but just a tad more fruit...of the apple variety?? Still the spices/patchouli/woods give this incredible depth. Can't say much more..it truly is fabulous..and I am so, SO grateful I was able to get my hands on this version. Thank you to the wonderful forumites who were generous enough to sell their extra bottles!!! :P

20 minutes later: Blooming are apple and a bit of clove..with the patchouli giving it a nice earthy slant..never veering off into "dirt" category..which is good for me. The wood notes are a bit more subdued in this version..which usually is a good thing for me since certain wood notes amp on me till all I smell like is a huge tree..but with Samhain Beth manages to blend usually problematic notes on me into something beautiful.

Hour later: It's just a wonderful haze of apple/clove/patchouli/with the wisps of smoke and fir..

Lasting power is serious...like 12 hours on me and the throw is medium to strong. I love how I am able to smell it wafting around me..just love it!!! :D

Bottom Line:Samhain 2005 is as wildly addictive to me as it's previous version..truly again the scent of autumn incarnate. I love it to pieces for the fall and winter..and it is has earned the "holy grail" status for me. I will lovingly use it and look forward to the 2007 version.

PS-My SO liked it on me but found it a bit strong..hehehehehehe..I love it precisely for that reason and because it so evokes such a beautiful and magical time of year.

Oh, this is absolutely gorgeous! I ebayed a big bottle of this based on other reviews of it as "Autumn in a bottle", and I am so freaking glad I did!

First sniff on my skin is pumpkin pie and fall leaves, and then it seems to deepen....dark woods on a fall night, but with just enough of the sweet pumpkin pie smell. I could live in this scent. But why is it fading so fast on me? (Well, I always do want autumn to last longer than it does...)

This is exactly what Halloween smells like--in memory, at least. Perfect. :P

I also Ebayed a bottle of Samhain based on the reviews. I was born in Minnesota and boy, did the first whiff of this bring back memories! The fresh apple cider, cinnamon and cloves, even the smell of the burning trash in the burn barrel. If I close my eyes, I can see the beautiful colors of the autumn leaves! In the fall I always make a crock pot full of spicy apple cider that really fills the house with smelly goodness. On the top of the cider there are pieces of sliced oranges with whole cloves floating adding to the perfect aroma. This is the same scent I get from Samhain. :P

Samhain 2006

Imp: Mmmm... fir, patchouli, leaves, spices, apple

Wet: This smells smoky dark-green, and softly spiced red apple - LOVE this stage!

Dry: Same, but with a bit less fir and leaves, and a bit more buttery/roundness, from the pumpkin I presume. This is quite gorgeous and I can't wait to get more - Hope Samhain 2007 will be just as good :D Thank you Beth!

ETA: this wafts sweetly like whoa! :P

Edited by Browneyes

I really love this scent! It's quite a rich spicey.. erm.. I'm not sure, dried berries? Juicy sultanas?currants? A sort of mulled wine. I got a lot of compliments for this and it really smells quite sharp and it's strong but in a good way! I have it on my skin for about 15 hours and you can still smell it :P

I could just detect the apple and sweetness at the edge of this... SO CLOSE, but unfortunately, the patchouli went weird as hell on me. Way too dark and earthy for my skin chemistry. It is a shame, I really wanted a nice autumn scent!

One of my absolute favorites, my very first BPAL scent! To me, this totally captures the magical, special feeling I get during autumn. It smells like Halloween embodied: dead leaves (I don't know how Beth captured this scent into a bottle, but it really does smell like it; that crisp, somewhat bittersweet smell...) and spices, and pumpkins... It starts out with a sweet smell of the spices and pumpkins, then dries down and the leaves come out beautifully. Oh, it's just perfect in every way! I love it so much <3

Samhain 2006

I'd toyed with ordering this when it came up, but I didn't have the money at the time. So when a chance to purchase a rollerball decant came up, I jumped on it. And I have no regrets. This is a heavenly scent. I have a hard time picking out individual scents, but its warm, spicy, sometimes apple-y, sometimes almost pumpkin pie. I don't know how to describe it other than it is a perfect fall scent. Very warm, inviting.

And strong. My skin soaks up BPAL but a little goes a Loooong way.

First ever review, first blend, and such a scent!

This one's Samhain 05, and from the bottle and wet on my skin I was wary. Very herbal, almost cough syrup-like. But drying down that faded and now I can really smell the cloves and allspice in amoungst the herbs. It's warm and the sweetness is coming out.

The throw is lovely. It's freezing here today, and this is a delicious, spicy, warm drinking-mulled-wine-by-a-fire scent in someone's cosy, dark wood cabin. And oh how I wish I was.

So glad I snagged a bottle.

ADDENDUM: Staying power! Wow! I've had a shower and it's still wonderfully haunting my wrist. Beautiful, and just keeps on mellowing out. :P

Edited by funkmoppet

Fnargh. I obtained a decant of Samhain 06 from someone over on Livejournal, as I've been intent on getting my greedy little hands on as many fall scents as possible before fall actually gets here. I was so excited when it arrived in the mail yesterday.

Unfortunately, my skin chemistry turned on me again. Pure Vicks Vap-O-Rub, no chaser. :P The entire scent progression goes from a light almost-cinnamon straight down Vap-O-Rub Street within seconds.

I'll be passing this one on and hoping the imp of Samhainophobia I've got coming in will agree with me a little better. *mourns*

Edited by steelfaerie

In the bottle:

Um... spices and... chocolate?

Wet:

Sort of smells like The Candy Butcher does on me, at first. Light floral with chocolate. It quickly changes to something smokier, and I think I am smelling... maybe musk and autumn leaves? I am having a hard time pinning down this scent, but it's very pretty.

Dry:

On me, the drydown for this one seems to be faster than it is with most scents. Maybe it's because it's (obviously) well-aged. It's not as sharp on me as it seems to be on some people; it's mostly light florals and musk. It does still have a smoky note to it, but it's very subtle. I ca see how it would be reminiscent of fall, and it seems to work on me.

WOW! This is a very spicy autumn scented perfume. I don't think I could wear this but I KNOW it will be awesome in my oil burner! I can smell the clove and apple...and everything else that's in it too! If you like spicy cinnamon-like smells this is for you!

Samhain is the perfect autumn scent. It accurately captures the feeling of autumn, when the night air has a sharp chill to it and the dry leaves scrape along the pavement whenever a wind kicks up.

I smell a bit of fruitiness, definitely some apple, some spice, some clove, and scents that are reminiscent of nighttime fires, smoke, the early damp decay of leaves, and just the right amount of turned earth.

I will always make sure to have a bottle of this on hand.

LOVE!

Sweet, spicy, and warm, like Hallowe'en baking.

On my skin, patchouli and something warm and foody without really being fruity starts coming out almost immediately--it's the spices, I guess, but there's something grounding them, making them come across like more of a meal. Maybe the pumpkin?

At 25 minutes: Oh, bliss. Candied oranges with the hint of a nutmeg bite, I can understand. But honey and toast? I don't know what's making it smell like this, but I love it.

At 3 hours: Honey dripping over toast. Love. Bliss. Delight. Oh, and look what just showed up on the update...

Love and coffee,

Frances

(This is for the '07 Samhain)

In Bottle: I have no idea what to say this smells like. I couldn't tell if I'd like it or not.

Wet (stage 1): Kind of incensey and woody.

Dry (stage 2): Spicy mulled cider.

After Doing Sweaty Yoga (stage 3): Chocolate?

Having Dried Off and Become Less Sweaty (stage 4): Honey

A Few Hours Later (stage 5): Still going, morphing between the cider, chocolate, and honey smells alternately.

This lasted forever and morphed more than any BPAL I have ever tried. I'm definitely keeping this-- it's way too interesting to try and figure out what it's going to do next to sell or swap it.