Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Mellifluous

Virgin’s Blood Bath Oil

Rose petals and fresh cream.

No virgins were harmed in the making of this product. Everlasting youth and eternal beauty not guaranteed.

Having just tested this, it is a bit heavier on the rose than I remember from the event. I'm not a big rose fan, but it's still not a terrible scent.
I would still say this is similar to pink snowballs, only it is just roses and cream, no "snow" note. Its fairly basic, not too complex, but a really beautiful soft rose scent. Definitely a young, virginal, pink rose, is what comes to my mind.

At the Bat's Day gathering, this was the first event item I needed to sniff. It did NOT disappoint.

In the bottle, the cream is rather heavy and rich, but without reading as foody. I've tested a small amount on the back of my hand, now, and the rose is much more of a prominent feature than in the bottle. This scent reminds me *very* strongly of the Victorian Rose Milk proto, which is the rose scent- apart from Hope- that is nearest to my heart. If you missed out on that, you might be lucky enough to find someone that is willing to supply you with a sample of this lovely concoction. ;)

Now, for those who've not read my other bath oil reviews, in the interest of full disclosure, I'll say that I do not frequently use BPTP bath oils actually *in* the bath. (I'll do it once in a while, but not with any regularity). Mostly how I use these oils is in my hair, as a sort of "leave in conditioner"- especially on the ends, which are all fried from bleaching and dying- and I will sometimes just rubs some into my arms and legs, as you would do with a light to medium body moisturizer. both suit my purposes just fine and obviously that will help make the precious last a little bit longer besides.

I mention all this because I know for many folks this is not the time of year one associates with baths. But do NOT let that deter you! If you have the opportunity to check this lovely substance out, by all means do so- use one of my above methods or think up a brand new one. but if you are a lover of sweet roses and Victorian-era perfumes and creams, trust me- this will in no way leave you wanting. :wub2:

:thud:

...That pretty much sums up my response to this. Well, seriously. :lol:

It's a gorgeous soft, creamy, wet, rose petals in the bath like that scene from American Beauty only with some pink and white mixed in with the red petals rose. I tested by way of slathering it all over, and as the day wore on, the cream got creamier and the rose toned down a bit (though it never disappeared) and a slight almost honey or beeswax-like note popped up. It never seemed to inflict itself on the people around me, so the throw, even being used as a moisturizer, was not heavy.

I'm sorry, I'm actually having a hard time figuring out how to describe my response more effectively than ISDHGAKAJKHAKAJHRKJER AMAZING GKAWKRAWJGRGAWKFNDS.

I think that pretty much covers it. I initially bought one bottle, took it back to my hotel room with the rest of my loot, sniffed it, and immediately went down to buy another. And contemplated buying a third. I have been on the hunt for a soft perfect rose like this for ages, and I have it, and it is much larger than a 5 ml bottle and I'm still not sure I'll have enough. Does that make sense?

I think what I mean to say is that it is awful and no one in their right mind would ever want it, right? Right. Settled then.

(as always, your mileage may vary, and you had darn well better know you like roses at the outset before buying a bottle of this, because if you don't and buy it anyway, you are very silly. because roses.)

As a side note, there is something very satisfying in a hilariously visceral way about walking up to Puddin' and asking for a bottle of Virgin's Blood. *cough*

Other reviewers have summed it up perfectly - light, sweet, creamy rose and very, very reminiscent of the Victorian Rose Milk v1 prototype. So pretty! It's the epitome of purity and innocence, and I'd love to have more of it. :wub2:

I love this. I adore this. I had a hard time doing much more than swooning when I tried it on my wrist. It's a bit more rosy wet, but still like the petals of the most voluptous Damask roses doused in smooth vanilla cream--and drying down on the skin, the cream seems to soak through the rose even more, making this an interplay of sweet creamy innocence shot through with a pulsating crimson heart. It's a scent of red intermingling with white but was clearly not intended to be a "pink" scent. Guilelessness and corruption in a bottle. Amazing.

Edited by Invidiana

Soft dreamy red rose and cream. And not the stinky kind of cream that turns sour on my skin. It's luscious. I don't know why I got some of this...but I am so glad that I did. :D :joy:

This is just gorgeous creamy rose, not sharp red rose, but like a bouquet of pink and white ones. Soft rose, if that makes sense - not tea rose either. It is beautiful and makes for a very relaxing bath too. :wub2:

Edited by violetblue

Absolutely gorgeous! It seemed a little old-lady powdery in the bottle at first, but once it hit my skin it balanced very well. Reminds me HUGELY of Dawn: Maiden, which is one of my favorites.

Lasted well, and had decent throw, too. Can't wait to try it in a bath.

This bath oil is amazing and is now tied with Snow White as my favourite ever. :wub2:

This smells like a light vanilla-cream note and a blend of different rose notes -sweet pink, rich red, and maybe a little white rose too. I used it in the bath, the throw wasn't overwhelming, but it lasted through the bath, and I can still smell it on my skin after drying off.

Virgin's Blood reminds me of Katrina Van Tassle (which is one of my favourite scents), but a bit rosier and less sweet. It's also rosier than another favourite, Alice. And as others have said, its very similar to Victorian Rose Milk v1, but creamier.

Love!!! :wub:

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Get out. Just GTFO. This should smell like seventeen varieties of poop on me, but it doesn't. It smells like seventeen flavours of awesomesauce.

The cream here reminds me of something else, not sure what.. but it's heavy and silky and decadently sweet and syrupy without being sugary. It smells like the kind of cream you'd get stuck in, should you walk through a field of it - you know, like quicksand. I'm not sure about you, but where I live there's loads of fields of cream and I regularly walk through them. Yes I do.

Rose usually hates me - well, not so much hates me - but it always amps itself up all puffy-chested like, and drowns out any other notes present so that I end up smelling like I've bathed in potpourri juice. But not here, nope.

The rose + cream combo here is similar to the dark chocolate + cream combo in The Candy Butcher - that rich, OMG :thud: kind of sultry luscious richness that makes you want to do indecent things to yourself. On me, this is cream with a dash of rose - which is just perfect.. had it been rose with a dash of cream (like, say.. Alice) then I'd be unhappy.

This should definitely be kept out of reach of teenagers, grandmas and anyone else susceptible to wanton acts of lewdness, because this is exactly the bath oil to corrupt even the most pure amongst us.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

I don't really like the smell in the bottle, all roses, no cream. On, the cream comes out more, it makes the rose less sharp, as roses can sometimes get on me. Still, I wish there was more cream here, though the rose is very pretty.

Bummer. I love rose scents and almost every one that BPAL has put out has been great on me. I have loved Victorian Rose Milk v1, Hope, Red Rose, etc. but this does not smell like any of those on me, unfortunately. Something in it goes extremely baby powdery in a way that the Victorian Rose Milk proto does not. It also doesn't smell much like Pink Snowballs on me. The baby powder note (maybe that's the "cream" note?) overwhelms the rose and makes this extremely disappointing on my skin.

Darn it! I wish that this had been better on me, but I'll stick to Looking Glass Looking Glass for my rose-scented baths.

I tried this first just as a moisturiser and found it overwhelmingly heavy and cloying - it gave me a headache and I wondered if I'd made a terrible mistake :cry2:

Thankfully when I ventured to try it actually in a bath, it couldn't have been more different. This was like bathing in a tub of fresh red rose petals moistened with unicorn milk. Srsly.

Afterwards it sticks pretty close to the skin and doesn't stick around as long as most - but while it did, I finally got the cream, along with light fresh roses.

Creamy rose. On wet, the smell was actually kinda overwhelming.

Afterwards it lingers like a light creamy vanilla with a touch of rose.

Pretty! I get soft creamy coconut and beautiful, fresh, just-picked, still dewy rose petals. I'm not sure why my nose smells creamy coconut in here, but that's what I seem to be getting from the 'fresh cream' note. I think there's a few different roses types in the petals, they create a slightly spicy rose with a sweet powdery blush. The scent dries to a mostly rose with a creamy background and hints of cold creamy coconut on my skin. The scent is sophisticated, luxurious and youthful with touch of innocence.

I was personally hoping for a different, stronger cream note and for the roses to be softer, but they are very close to being heady and cloying (most likely due to the red rose). So ultimately I think it's a gorgeous bathtime blend, but the roses are too strong and the wrong type for me and I fear it could veer into headache-land. :(

This is just the perfect rose. It was almost like bathing in actual roses.

My husband has a fondness for rose scents. I personally do not. In my experience the lab's rose scents have a tinge of greenery attached to them. Judging from reviews this is one of the features people like most about them... fresh cut roses stems and all woot. I don't care for that greenery note. Here we have no stems or leaves or fresh cut anything. What we have is a sea of rose petals. Glorious, glorious rose petals. My husband is happy and I am happy. Total win.

I bought this on a whim from the forum and wow am I glad I did. I had no idea the label featured an original portait of Elizabeth Bathory and considering I've had an obsession with her since I was about 11 I am more than pleased with just that! I'm not crazy about rose scents in general (my best friend however loves anything rose-related and I know I'll be decanting this generously so she too can bathe in luxury) but this is more than usable. It has a very *fresh* rose scent, but the cream balances it out perfectly. Only a little of this is needed and it doubles up beautifully as a body oil. 10/10.

Edited by cherrycherry

it's a very soft creamy rose, not deep heady and thorny.

... the label featured an original portait of Elizabeth Bathory and considering I've had an obsession with her since I was about 11 I am more than pleased with just that!

Ditto! :) (And I bet its's stuff like that that is what separates BPAL/BPTP fans from your Average Joe, lol.)

Seriously, though, Virgin's Blood is heavenly. I fear cream, in general, but there is no plastic or salt here. Just a creamy but identifiably red rose scent. The only way this could be better: If it turned your bath water red. Can someone PLEASE make that a thing??

ahh I bought this awhile ago and I am finally trying it tonight. I don't know what took me so long but this is just gorgeous. I love rose and creamy roses too if they aren't too foody, and thankfully this is not. it is reminiscent of hope but it's deeper, if that makes sense. I am so glad this is the type of cream that does not go sour on me. this is a wonderful bath oil, and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

I totally forgot to review this when I bought it. It's gorgeous, exactly as described. Cream that doesn't go sour or plastic, rose that doesn't go soapy, just perfect creamy rose. Love.