Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

The first time I tested my first batch of imps, it quickly became clear to me that my skin amps any form of booze. And by amps, I mean SCREAMS. The second time around, I was extremely weary of trying anything with rum listed as a note, but I bit the bullet and grabbed an imp of Hellcat.

Initial Smell from Bottle: Good god, rum. Rum brings me back to a certain college party about two months ago, where I ingested a pint of rum and subsequently threw it all up. I don't have high hopes for this scent.

Wet: Where's the buttercream? The hazelnut? It smells like I dumped a bottle of rum all over my wrists. I can't detect any other notes.

Dry: Well, it never improved. No miraculous morphing, just rum. The throw is strong, I've give it that, however that just makes me smell like a drunk. Next!

1/10 Edited by Shollin

Ugh. The worst one I've tried. My mother-in-law and I were smelling them together and she asked me what was in it. I said, male cat spray? Actually I think it's the booze. If you like boozy smells you may like it, otherwise beware.

I had hope for this one. I don't have any sensual smells in my arsenal and this was on my short list of things to try after my first order.

It didn't like my chemistry very much. My boyfriend thought it was overpowering and my mom-by-proxy said I smelled like a head shop. I think I'll try this one again after a week or two and/or save this one for Halloween--it was very incense heavy after it dried on me--and might add to a costume.

Oh this is amazing... Another lucky frimp from the lab. This is going to get some serious use and a bottle will be necessary.

In the imp: Super sweet pastry-like deliciousness. Almond and honey are two of my favorite notes and boy are they in this one!

Wet on skin: It's weird: my eyes actually got really wide and my heart started racing faster with this one. It's kinda like O but sweeter. Glorious almond love. The rum mixes perfectly with this and it doesn't end up smelling boozy on me, just a little naughty. It is so friggin sexy! I feel really hot wearing it.

Drydown: The sweetness fades a bit and the scent gets softer and richer. Golden honey is the most noticeable scent. This is unbelievably gorgeous and sensual. It may just be my new favorite general catologue scent.

Overall: LOVE with a passion! Bottle please!

ehhh..... not one of my favorites. I had SUCH high hopes... but it just came out WAY too sweet and the rum was overpowering... too much bite not enough nutty sweetness... :(

In the bottle: really strong, sweet, smokey with a hint of alcohol.

Wet: super sweet with a sting from the run, the other scents i could not pick out from the muddle.

Dry: lasted a LOOONG time... over 12 hours and i just put the tiniest baby smear on ONE of my wrists. Retained pure, brown suggaryness... not much of anything else.

It ended up kinda gaudy on me, and it seems more of an older fragrance.....

When I first put this on my skin, I got a very heady floral for some reason. I even reread the notes, to make sure I hadn't mistakenly mixed Hellcat up with something else. I smell flowers in a lot of things that I shouldn't, so mebbe it's my nose or skin chemistry.

...and then, after about five minutes pass, it's... MEAD! Pure mead. While I love the flavor of mead, the scent is kinda odd, to me. I've always thought a freshly opened bottle of mead smelled like honey and brined, Spanish olives, heh. This is sweet, and luckily doesn't have too much of the sour brine smell (just a touch). No almond, no hazelnut, and no buttercream... just mead. With flowers.. just a li'l. ;)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, smelling flowers really isn't all that far fetched since mead is made from honey, and honey is (technically) made from flowers... oh, and bee vomit, but I won't go there. LOL

Edited by beturtlement

In the imp: Sweet, rich buttercream over slightly burnt (in a good way!) spiced cake

On me: If there was such thing as buttercream flavored marshmallows (is there!? :yum:), this would smell like buttercream flavored marshmallows, burnt over a campfire on a sweltering hot summer night. It is truly amazing how real the fire smells in this one.

I don't get a boozy smell at any stage, but this scent is fiesty. Better for play than work.

Absolutely need a bottle!

Imp: Very sweet and boozy, smells a bit of cherries or apricot brandy to me.

Wet: There is the heavenly honey mead mixed with almond.

Dry: I start to get more of the rum now but really is seems to morph from drink to drink. There is just the tiniest bit of grounding hazelnut. Buttercream I don't get by any stretch of my imagination.

Wet: Sharp and stinging and yuck! I'm scared to even put this on.

First on: Still...ugh, I'm really regretting this.

Dry: Never changed. Ew ew ew time to scrub it off.

This...like all other belds with almond in is a whoosh of almond straight away! This blend has a boozy rum to accompany it though. This stage doesn't last very long though, probably about 10 or so minutes.

Then the foooooodyness comes out. It's very musky this blend and very sweet. I can definately smell the honey mead and the buttercream. It's not as nutty as I thought it was going to be. I really want to smell this next to my Storyville imp to see....

This is like a Sed Non Satiata gone way foody and...it's quite sickly and very brown sugary smelling. Yum yum yum. I won't be oredering a bottle but it's delicious. There are much better foodies out there than this.

This ages beautifully. It goes from being very almondy to being spicy, sugary, deep, delicious buttery rum mingled with something cake-y and yummy with the almond in the background. I am foodie lover and this was not that high on my list of my favorite foodie blends until it aged. Now I think it's so gorgeous.

This smells fruity and foody in the imp. When I put it on, it smelled of apricot preserves and black tea with a side of hazlenuts. :yum: Huh? I don't know where I'm getting the apricot or tea. It is definitely apricot preserves. It smells tasty, but I don't know if I want to smell like this. I like the hazelnut. I don't smell almond, which is fine. Maybe the apricot is how my nose is interpreting the boozy notes in this blend...hmmm. It never gets creamy on my skin. I wish I could smell buttercream. Bummer. I think I'll let this age and see if it softens up. Right now, it's a bit sharp.

In the imp, this one smells strongly — too strongly — of buttercream. On me, that softens, fortunately. Almost immediately the almond starts coming out. After a little bit, I’m getting something that makes me think “vanilla”, though it isn’t vanilla exactly (maybe the rum), and a bit of a powdery note in addition to the almond. The buttercream has faded into the background. …And then it just kind of fades into generic sweetness.

Verdict: Pretty nice. Not something I’m probably going to wear horribly often, but not bad either.

Hellcat

In the bottle: This is one of the few scents I've actually recoiled from upon smelling it on my wrist. Not because it's an unpleasant scent, it's just so strong and in-your-face and wow, did I mention strong?

On my skin: Honey and booze and something feral. I smell like something has marked its territory on me.

I don't think I'd invest in any more of this, but if you love the smell of rum, you're in luck.

In the imp: cherry? oh, that's almond... and ugh, heavy buttercream.

Wet on my skin: almond and a bit of hazelnut with too-heavy buttercream behind it.

Drying/dry: kinda boozy, with hazelnut and almond, the buttercream has (thankfully) backed off somewhat

I think the buttercream is too heavy for me... off to swaps!

This smelled mainly like honey to me. I like sweet foody scents and didn't really like this one

imp: honey, butter, rum

on me: honey and rum with something slightly bitter in the background

I thought I had reviewed this already but apparently not.

I swapped this out. Lol.

I was so excited for this and I got no buttercream goodness. What I did get was a lot of mead and an odd sharp green note and it was odd. And something that smelled like hay I think.

This will forever be remembered to me as the first Bpal that did not live up to my expectations and broke my heart. Ah well, everyone has their first :(

In the bottle: CHERRIES! (almond almost always smells like cherries to me)

On my skin: Mostly sweet honey with a hint of cherries/almond. Not bad actually, because when I first put it on I thought it would be ALL cherries.

I haven't really tried this since I initially got it and was put off by the fact that, though it smelled very nice, it also smelled like I'd been at the drinky for quite some time beforehand, so I'm giving it a go today because I don't have to go out or meet anyone, so I won't worry about being judged.

In imp: Sweet, strong, spicy. I can pick out all the notes, most especially the rum.

On: Creamy, almost green/cocoa-like. The rum isn't as strong on. Just yummy spicy food scents with a touch of greenery. Reminds me a lot of the version of 13 I have (green label). There's more of an edge of alcohol as it dries.

Over time: Oh dear, there's the definite alcoholic scent again. It's actually not as blatent as I'd thought, and overall stil a very nice scent, but I get self-conscious about what people might think of me if I smell like alcohol. I guess it was my bad for getting a scent that had rum and mead listed as ingrdients! It is nice, though. Might wear it for a LARP event I'm going to, where it won't matter if I smell like rum! It certainly is yummy, just makes me self-conscious. Smells a little like hay (something I noticed with Baron Samedi as well).

An hour or so later: This reminds me loads of the 13 I own and love (green label) - cocoa-green freshness. Lovely. The alcohol fades and it's just plain nice. Like a more muted version of 13, which is pleasantly surprising. Lovely.

first sniff: boozy and extremely sexy! I can pick up the rum (which is a scent I love) and the nuts(almond and hazel). can't wait to try it on!!

wet: smokey tavern and booze with naughty, sweet scent that reminds me of vanilla (it may be either the buttercream or honey mead?). It makes me feel incredibly sexy!

drydown: still wonderful, sweet booze with hazelnuts.

final thoughts: I adore it. it is just the scent I was after, and it makes me feel very sexy indeed. I wore it to school on friday, and I felt confident and proud. I think this will have to be a big bottle order! :lol:

Oh, man, this is boozy and delicious *without* the salty boiled peanuts smell I usually get from super-foody notes. Love!

In the bottle I just smell sweetness. It's almost a bit too syrupy. But on my skin it's a lighter sweetness with a hint of rum in the background. It kind of makes me think of hot buttered rum, though it's definitely not an overpowering food smell. Even after trying it a few times, I'm uncertain as to whether or not I really like it. I'm not sure I would wear it out in public, but it's a pleasing smell to me, so maybe I'll just put it on before bedtime. (I like to wear a bit of perfume so I feel and smell clean and nice when I go to sleep :blush: )

I'm glad someone said pipe tobacco before me, I didn't want to sound completely nuts!

But it is wet, the most delicious cherry pipe tobacco, with a hint of buttercream.

Its got very good throw, doesnt last long... I'm mixing this up for a spray.

Was expecting this to be more foody, which I'm not too keen on, glad I gave it a try cause its amazing!