Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

Hellcat starts out smelling like marzipan. After a while, the almond fades and it smells just like Sugar Skull to me. A quick review, because that's really all I can say! I love Sugar Skull, and I do like almond, so this is a winner for me. I pretty much have all the sweet scents that I need, so I won't get a whole bottle of this. Good to have an imp around, though! The buttercream and honey had potential to go haywire, but fortunately all the notes are blended and in perfect balance for me. : ) Edited by Forspecial Plate

In The Bottle

All I can smell in the bottle is butterscotch, not too buttery

On Application

Almond and honey. Actually quite nice but strong

Dry Down

The almond starts to take a back seat soon into the drydown leaving the honey and allowing the buttercream and a touch of the hazelnut through. My initial trepidation about the buttercream seems to be unfounded as it hasn't turned rancid on me at this stage. While there are stages I like in this scent it is not something I would wear.

Rating (0-5)

This smells like cherries (I think I'm the only one that gets this LOL) and almonds and a bit of butterscotch and cream…

As it dries it starts to smell like a boozed up honey, but other then that its rather bland

About an hour or so in it faded completely on me, which is sad cause I wanted to really like this one

In the bottle, this one smells pretty much as described. On my skin, though, it smells (weirdly) just like strawberry cheesecake.

Imp: Butterscotch and the cherry smell of

almonds.

Wet on Me: Butter rum wtih cherry almonds

Drying Down: musty hazelnut now. Kind of

stale.

Dry: Musty over sweet candle shop. Almost a

fall halloween scent.

This is not really my cup of tea. Off to the re-homing pile.

Interesting.

I can smell everything in this. And it's constantly changing.

It's sweet almonds, no it's very boozy rum, no now it's butter tarts, but the butter tarts have hazelnuts and almonds instead of pecans. Wait... someone just poured honey all over it, and so on.

Throughout the entire drydown, this one just keeps morphing. It's all over the place, and the notes don't ever really blend together, instead they are all fighting with each other trying to come out on top, like a big CATFIGHT! Haha, how appropriate. Even when it's dry for a few hours, the notes keep on fighting each other. Sometimes i smell one, sometimes another, but never at the same time. This one is incredibly moody and independant and doesn't attatch itself to my own skin's scent, it just hovers nearby ready to pounce on someone if they get too close.

Meow. Hisss. Purrrr. 3/5

in the imp: straight up buttercream.

on me: Whoa, almond. And rum. Wow.

Dry: I swear, this smells like there's cinnamon in it. I know there isn't, especially because my skin isn't turning red, but it has that spicy smell to it. Sensual and luxuriant are definitely spot on. Sniffing it seems to warm my whole body.

I was all ready to reject this in the beginning stages, but I think that would be a mistake. This is some powerful sexy stuff here, nbt at all foody like I was expecting. I think I'll let my imp sit for a week or so and try it again, but this might be a bottle purchase.

Wet in imp- Yummmm, I smell the hazelnut, rum, buttercream and almond.

Wet on skin - Strong rum, hazelnut and almond. Less foodie on skin.

Dry on skin - Bummer, this smells like I spilled Amaretto on myself. It's almost masculine. This smelled so delicious in the bottle!

Hellcat is, hands down (or should I say paws down?) my favorite out of my first fistful of impage which just arrived today. I have been wearing the Hellcat for about six hours now, and I love it to pieces...makes me want to go find a nice tall guy and climb him like a scratching post...

This lovely kitten starts out in the imp as that most delicious of candies, the Butter Rum Lifesaver. Wet on the skin, it maintains that and adds a sweet nuttiness akin to fumes from a bottle of Frangelico. After drying, an oddly spicy note comes out that I have to assume is the alcoholic bit of the rum, as the description doesn't list any spice notes. Spicy-sweet nuttiness with a creamy note is pretty much then where it stays.

The upshot of all this is Big Bottle Want, big time. :P

Desserty booze + sweet almond essence. No nut or cream that I could pick up on, so it didn't have much depth to it, mostly the boozy-tart fumes.

Vial: Alcohol notes attacking my nose, ack! Not smelling anything else.

Wet: Almond, rum, rum, and rum. Truly raucous, and it's giving me a headache. :P

Drydown: Drydown? More like hangover! The alcohol notes are dominating again, like dull headaches on a Sunday morning after a wild night out on the town.

Well, it started lovely, a warm honey caramel scent. Then it turned sour. Something-mysterious-is-rotting-in-the-fridge kind of sour. Or maybe drink mix that no alcohol can save. Someone else will love it more than me.

This is the first BPAL scent I sniffed, and the first review I've done! :D

Hellcat (very pale yellow)

In the bottle: Foody. Very, very rich - marzipan with a slight burnt tinge, like bonfire toffee. Also get what smells like a very buttery cherry or red fruits cheesecake?? But hard to tell through all that marzipan - so rich and almondy, too rich for my tastes!

Wet, on skin: AAGH the marzipan has got even stronger, if that were possible. Still with the burnt undertone, very sweet and buttery...

Drydown: Hurrah! The marzipan starts to fade out (good, as it was really too rich for my tastes) - now a subtle, warm spice creeping in from underneath. It doesn't smell edible anymore; but warm, and welcoming. Has a spicier edge now rather than the overpowering buttery almond/marzipan of earlier, but a subtle and delicate spice (and no idea why it should smell like that as it has no spice notes). The honey's definitely there; honey on buttered toast. Delicious and such an unexpected surprise - in the bottle it was a bit scary with all that almond. A keeper. :P

Hellcat was a frimp with my most recent order: Boomslang and Lune Noire. My husband absolutely loves it, making it second only to Chimera.

It's warm and sweet, with a subtle sharpness. Rich and sensual.

Highly recommended by my beloved. :P

This is a nice scent. Probably one I would wear if I had not found so many others that I love with similar notes. This has just a bit of harshness at the beginning that overpowers the other mellow scents. I think it might be the mead.

The buttercream and rum are the strong notes here. I can not smell the hazelnut at all.

Sweet and boozy - reminds me of my beloved Centzon Totochtin, only not so dark. :P

I can see where you could pick cinnamon out of this blend, as it's got a spicy feel to it. I didn't think I would like it as a non-foodie sort of person, but the buttercream just sweetens things, rather than making me wonder if my arm would be delicious. This is a scent that strikes me as having some real potential in November, when things are cold and murky but you can't break out the Yules just yet.

The first time I tried this, for some reason, it was nothing but overwhelming asthma attack head shop in a bottle incense. It actually bugged my nonexistent allergies. Weird.

So I threw it aside for a month or two and tried it again, and I could actually smell what it was supposed to smell like. It's lovely! It's a tad bit boozy, but it's definitely sweet butter rum and not any kind of bitter alcohol scent. It's very sweet but not overwhelmingly so. I get just a hint of incense now, which makes a nice deep, dark base for all the sweeter scents in this blend. I love it! Just have to remember to store any future hallcats for several months before applying. :P

The buttery hazlenut was very strong when I first put this on but after a few minutes the honey and almond comes out. The rum is very strong too, and it has a very warm, boozy feel to it. It's almost fruity on the drydown and I like it a lot, definitely one for wearing this time of year. I can imgine it would be really overpowering in hot weather.

This is one of the many that didn't work with my skin chemistry, it was all burnt sugar and hazelnut, with a touch of wet wood, a bit sour, yuck!

no honey, no rum, no nothing. :P

I'm staying away from this kind of foody smels.

I placed my first BPAL order for three bottles without ever reading the reviews, and I almost included Hellcat as one of them. Those were the days before I knew that hazelnut and almond are two of my most consistent Notes of Doooooom. But once I got it as a frimp I had to try it just to make sure.

In the imp: Strong almond and rum, with no trace of the buttercream

Wet on skin: Almond, please don't abuse me. I love you so; why do you insist on going screamingly bitter on me? Gah.

Dry on skin: Burnt, bitter almonds and sour rum icing. I can't detect the hazelnut, which usually amps on me, because the almond is too strong. Didn't morph at all over the three hour period I tested it. I couldn't stand to go out in public with this on and had to wash it off instead of giving it a full go.

Nope. :P

Sweet Jordan Almonds!!

And maybe a tiny bit of phantom cinnamon? Yum. Hellcat manages to avoid the nausea-inducing surfeit of greasy sweetness that I sometimes get from the foody-nut varieties. A sweet blend that stays close to the skin -much better than I expected.

This is one of those scents that I desperately wanted to love from the description. Unfortunately (boo!) I ran into two major problems -

1) One of the notes in here that adds to the sweetness is a note from the lab that never works for me. It gets amped up to the extreme and goes sickeningly sweet and slightly burnt smelling.

2) Something goes tropical and I sort of smell like I should be sipping from a coconut filled with pineapple juice and a cocktail parasol. The most obvious answer would be the rum, but I've tried rum in other mixes and not gotten this from it so I'm guessing it's from the rum in addition to something else (might be the hazelnut).

I didn't get any almond, very little cream and any hint of honey mead was way overlooked by the tropical rummy-ness.

Oh well, I should know better than to try anything remotely foodish by now.