Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

In the bottle; All buttery rum and warm alcohol,

On Skin; Still buttery, but now I smell...tobacco? Where the heck is that coming from? And Honey, smells sticky and warm. Maybe the tobacco-y scent is the mead...

RUM just burst into the mix.

After an hour; Still honey and rum, I still smell something tobacco, And the almond hse come into play.

Interesting scent. Not sure if it's a keeper or not, going to have to test it again another time.

Edited by Shollin

This'll be my first time posting a review, but I loved this one so much I had to!

A note: I try not to read the description before trying something on, so that I can form impressions of it without being influenced. Later on I look at the description to see how close I was, and then say to myself, "Yeah, I can smell that," or "that doesn't really come through for me." I got this one as a gift from a friend, so it's easy for me to forget just what scents make it up.

In the imp: Strong! There was something acrid about it, and a scent that seemed familiar but I couldn't place. "Vanilla?" I asked my husband. "Cinnamon?" Neither of those was right on.

On wet (wrists and neck): Ah, that's it. "Tobacco. Pipe tobacco. That's got to be it." "Rooibos tea," he suggested and I went YES. Rooibos tea.

I realize the tobacco note I'm smelling is actually reminding me of when I was a kid, and my dad used to smoke this cherry-scented pipe tobacco. So it's more a sort of ashy, dry cherry smell I'm smelling.

As it dried down, I went to check the description. I'm way off! Buttered rum? Okay, I can kind of see where that comes in.... Almonds, definitely, in that way that almonds and cherry kind of blend together for me. Every other scent seems to be hiding.

I went to put more on, thinking "this may be a keeper..."

Drydown: Rooibos tea, yep. Specifically, it reminds me of this rooibos tea winter punch mix I got, with apples and cinnamon and cardamom and almonds and all kinds of goodies in it. Putting my nose to my wrist, I get almost a patchouli smell, but what is wafting around me is sexy and warm and complex and DELICIOUSLY ME. The smoky, butteriness of it becomes almost musky on me, in a good way.

Conclusion: almonds and cherries and rooibos tea and YUM. Will be buying a bottle.

Even after reading other peoples' reviews, I still didn't know what "too boozy" was like and so didn't really believe I'd find it that way as well. In the bottle, this is boozy like a box of chocolates when you eat the whole box and wash it down with some mudslide or Bailey's and are too sloshed to feel guilty afterwards, though you do feel somewhat sick. Once it dries, it changes just a little, into the smell of one of those little country craft stores that sells potpourri and all those scented candles and homemade chocolates and such, with all the employees there completely under the table. Now I know what "too boozy" is. Maybe my mother will like it. ;-)

It starts of really sharp and almost acidy on me, it takes a while for it to mellow and blend, maybe an hour or so. Once it does it is quite a mischievous scent. I am getting a strong rum note with buttercream in the background, the nuts are there but so faint I have to concentrate to smell them. I like it but not enough to wait an hour for it to mellow.

I was a bit afraid to try this, since rum is one note that can sometimes ruin blends for me. On my skin, guess what I smell...ALL sweet rum. It smells like I made myself a girly drink and then dumped t over my head.

When it dries it get a bit of a cherry smell, as well.

Now, the rum doesn't make this sour or off on me, which is good, but I think it smells a bit too boozy for my tastes. If you like booze and foody scents, then this is heaven; otherwise...

In the imp: almond, honey

On the skin: almond & honey while wet. Super sweet, maybe a bit too sweet for me. The almond has a cherry edge to it. As it dries, I’m liking this one better. It’s not so sweet and seems more gourmand and familiar.

Oh my god, I just had a realization! It’s the burnt sugar from Sugar Skull that I smell. There’s a touch of almond, but this is so very similar to Sugar Skull, and on me, once it’s dry, an excellent replacement once my bottles run dry. I never would have thought it but I am so thrilled to discover this!

If you've ever had Butter Rum-flavored Lifesavers, then this is what it smells like in the bottle.

On skin (or my skin, at least) it reigns back from being too strong and the sweetness fades a great deal, replaced by a smoky, incense-like smell. I was worried that the candy smell was gone for good but it peeks in every once in a while. It's like a bottle of rum and rum candy and rum cake sitting on a plate in one of those metaphysical/pagan stores.

This imp isn't going to last long enough for my big bottle order to get here!

In the vial: Almond and cold milk

On my skin: Toffee, sugared tea, pepper, fire, cinnamon and black pepper.

Gets creamier but overall maintains the purity of its scent over several hours on my skin.

Mmmmm.

Does that description not sound delicious? Like something you should please to be eating RIGHT NOW? I've got news for you: it smells that way, too.

Before it hits my skin, Hellcat is a creamy honey-and-almond dessert, and it makes me a little hungry. On my skin, it's even better ... there's a spiciness underneath it that keeps it from being sickeningly sweet.

This is one of those rare blends where I can smell almost everything listed in the notes -- and it's a good thing in this instance. Yum. The rum is the only scent that I can't really find.

As it gets more used to my skin, the blend turns into more of a spicy honey scent than a sweet dessert. And again, I mean that in a good way. Every single stage of this scent is good!

My only qualm with Hellcat is that I have to be in a certain mood to wear a honey scent, but this one is definitely a keeper -- it's like it was made especially for those moods.

This complements the Alternative Breeding scent I'm burning at present - 'Inscentual'. I absolutely love it, not sure if I would purchase in a 5mL but will be very distraught when my imp is finished up! I smell the honey mead, rum and sweet almond most of all - the hazelnut doesn't seem to be there so much but the buttercream has successfully melded with the rum. This is true deliciousness!

Imp: Rum! In your face too. Bam!

Wet: Oh no! Rum gone bad and rancid. Yuck.

Dry: This is really awful on me. What happened?

Final Thoughts: I don't know why, but my chemistry did not like this at all. Other people in the room asked me to take it off. It sounded so good, but not for me.

Oh my gods. This is so good on me. The meade peeks out first, and I get a strong honey note. After that, I get nut and sweet creaminess creeping out more (presumably the hazelnut, almond, and buttercream). The rum stays politely in the background as more of a suggestion than outright booziness. Overall, this is very sweet, foody, and yummy on me. Unfortunately, it fades fast, so I'm going to need a bottle so I can slather and reapply often.

rum and honey, very creamy. but no matter how interesting this is, it's not very wearable. great room scent.

edit: drydown is really wonderful, like a wet rum cake, but i still wouldn't wear it.

Edited by Kosyena

Given the notes, I didn't want this within 50 feet of me. I *hate* the smell of rum, and both butter and almond notes go weird and cloying on me. But it was a frimp in a swap, so I had to try it.

And it smells like......carnation?? A lovely gentle spicy carnation; I also agree with the above reviewer that it's kind of similar to Roibos tea. Lovely. I'll be wearing this often if it keeps smelling this good!

Yay for frimps!

edit: After about fourty minutes it mellows a bit and becomes more obviously mead...normally mead can do apalling things on me, but this is just a gentle spiced honey. I guess the "carnation" must be the mead doing really weird (but happy) things.

Edited by fiddledragon

in the bottle: This smells like dessert. Mmmm!

wet: Oh, they weren't kidding when they said this has a wicked bite! I'm getting so much buttercream, but there's very much an alcoholic snap there. I think it might be more of the honey mead than the rum, because there's a rich undernote of sweetness here.

dry: There's a wee, tiny bit of hazelnut peeking out now, but I feel kind of like I've been smothered in alcohol spiked frosting! It's really yummy, and I kind of really want to lick my wrist. Still, it might be just a little bit too sweet for a perfume, at least for me. I think I'll check back in a little while, hopefully it'll have mellowed a little bit.

I HAD to get some of this, just for the name. lol. I got skeered while waiting for my lab order though, when several people said things to me like 'if you like boozy sweets you'll like it'. Well, I don't like either...but Hellcat doesn't really do either on me. I get more of the spicy floral than anything else! A hint of something more like butterscotch too. It's very nice, really. One of the scents I'l have to be in a certain mood to wear, but definitely a keeper. (whew...I'd have :P otherwise.)

In the bottle:

Rum, rum, rum! Nothing else here. I can't smell anything past the overpowering smell of alcohol.

On skin wet:

Rum, with a hint of buttercream, and perhaps some hazelnut and almond- but all overpowered by the honey.

Dried down:

It's mostly honey. Apparently, my skin amps honey, and it's not very nice :P

Unnnhhh. Butter, rum, honey, and almond front this. It smells like yum with extra lick.

On, it goes from "yum" to "do me" in about ten seconds. Hazelnut cream and almonds, buttery melted honey, just a little boozy but not drunk yet. Thankfully the throw is modest, because too much of this would be overwhelming.

I'm not sure where that sharp topnote is coming from, but it does have a bite. It's not all smooth cream, there's a little kick here that gives it real personality. I love it, instantly.

This is the smell of your best friend's little sister who gets into the Captain Morgan while you're house-sitting, then comes on to you wearing nothing but an angora sweater and a pair of white thong panties. And even though you know better, you also know better than to say no to a body that.

This is the smell of sitting by the fire at a Christmas party, drinking something creamy and boozy, and trying to figure out who the hell it was you were kissing ten minutes ago in the pitch-dark backyard, because the person you thought it was has been passed out near the tree for half an hour.

This is the smell of the one who doesn't call, doesn't write, just leaves you wrestling with the sticky memories at 3 a.m. Sayonara, sucker! You've been used.

Very sweet and foody, yet I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's gender-neutral enough for a guy to get away with it. I want to rub this on some attractive, clueless younger guy and then hump the hell out of him. (No, I am not taking applicants.)

Hellcat-

In Bottle: Butterscotch and almonds and a whiff of alcohol, oh, YUM.

Wet: Light, soft, cherry-almondy Jergens lotion. Just a little of the butterscotch reemerging.

Dry: The alcoholic scent really takes over this. It's nifty--not as fabulous as that first in-bottle whiff, but complex and still kinda delicious. I may need to grab a 5ml of this one, but I'll try it again a time or two before I decide.

Overall: I do like, I think I could grow to love it.

Mmmmm… when I wore this, everyone I encountered said, "You smell so GOOOOD!" I got lots of hugs & kisses that day. Very friendly.

In the Bottle: Sharp, warm, sweet. Smells like toffee butter popcorn.

Wet on Skin: Less of a popcorn scent, more honey.

Dry on Skin: Soft, warm spicy honey. Long lasting.

I like it a lot, and I will definitely wear it again. A little strong initially though.

In the bottle: very chemical, unpleasant

On the skin: More buttery, with whiffs of some kind of horrible plastic smell coming through

On the drydown: Oh yeah, that's more like it. Butter in waves, almonds coming out, honey, rum. This just gets better.

Maturing: Soft, sweet, rich and sex in a bottle.

This isn't a smell I would normally go for - I'm more of a fresh clean florals girl. But I think that this one might be a winner. I'll see what The Boy thinks tonight and see.. :P

Well, POOP!!! I love honey scents. I would roll in honey if I could get away with it. I also think that rum smells rather lovely. Theoretically this scent should have been great.

I was fasincated with the idea of smelling like Buttered Rum Lifesavers. Smelling like candy FTW!

But in the vial, and on my skin, Hellcat is acrid, sharp, and chemical. I get none of the rum smoothness, none of the cherry note. No rooibos. I get smoke, maybe some tobacco, and something so sharp it is like being bitten in the sinuses. It is actually "sharp" in feel to smell. Then the rum scent comes in but it is a turned rum. A rum that has been sicked back up after a bad night of Captain & Coke.

To the swap pile, maybe even wrapped in plastic to prevent a molecule of this from escaping. It is noxious when combined with my skin. :P

Ohhh how I wanted to love Hellcat. Really. The description sounded almost like it was made for me but.. woe is the Hellcat that touches my skin.

When I first opened the bottle I got a breeze of sweet hazelnut and butter-cream. Unfortunately the closer my nose got the bottle the more it was slammed with a boozey, acrid, almost chemical scent.

I was hoping maybe the original hazelnut, butter-cream, and honey that I got a hint of would come out more on my skin. Sadly it was all booze, chemicals, and incense.

:P

In the imp:

Does anyone remember those "Mr. Sketch" markers that lots of kids had in the 80's? The scented ones? That's what I am getting from this scent in the imp.

Wet:

I think it's the light blue "Mr. Sketch" marker. I forget what flavor that one was supposed to be, but now I can't stop thinking that's what this smells like. I guess what I am smelling are the honey mead and sweet almond, for those of you who are unfamiliar with said markers and now think I am insane. As this started to dry down, I could have sworn I smelled little bit of a leathery element.

Dry:

I don't even know what to say this smells like. I'm really not getting any one of the stated notes, except maybe a bit of the buttercream. It's sweet and not unpleasant, but it's not doing anything spectacular for me. I'll wear it all over (as opposed to just on the back of my wrist, which is where I test my imps) sometime and see if my opinion changes.

Edited by n3m3sis42