Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellcat

A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

In the imp: HUGE blast of buttery buttercream frosting at first. :eek: Further sniffs reveal honey and a deep, rich, boozy, almost butterscotch-like sweetness—it's like Cockaigne and Grog had a baby. A drunk, sticky, buttery baby. I think this is a combination of the rum and honey mead. To be honest, I get little if anything of either nut here… maybe a touch of Seraglio-esque sweet almond, but it's almost hidden behind the buttercream and heavy booze. This smells delicious, but super-strong and unrepentantly foody. (Then again, with that note list, what else would you expect?) Deep, creamy golden scent, very luxuriant and self-satisfied. Nom-worthy.
On, wet: Interesting! Much less boozy on my skin, and the butterscotch-rum quality is seriously toned down. The almond is most apparent now, blending with the buttercream to make me smell like yummy marzipan, or maybe almond frosting, with just a trace of sweet-tangy honey mead beneath. It isn't nearly as heavy or overtly foody as the imp smell, but I like it.
On, dry: Closer to the imp smell, but thankfully not as heavy or sugary. It's mostly honey mead now (very close to Cockaigne's honey and wine combo), with a twinge of buttery rum, some creaminess from the buttercream and just enough almond to keep this from getting too overbearingly sweet. The honey's taking on an almost floral quality, which is interesting, and it keeps me from smelling too much like a dessert tray.
Later: Honeyed-rum almonds, with maybe a smidge of buttercream.
Overall: I'm not sure Hellcat is a villainous scent to me, unless maybe you're talking about the fearsome menace of butterfat and potential tooth decay. :lol: But it is a tasty scent, very decadent and strangely sexy, like buttercream-smeared sex. It's also both more nuanced and less heavy than I thought it would be. The honey note is similar to Cockaigne, but it's much better behaved, and the buttercream provides a nicely creamy, if unusual, base for the booze and almond. The hazelnut never really showed up for me, which is mildly disappointing, but not a big deal. The throw is also moderate to light, which makes this a very wearable foody scent and keeps it from delicious, instead of cloying. This is the first totally foody scent that I'd consider for a big bottle! Edited by Bluestocking

Before it dries, this is all sticky, almost cherry, sweetness. I'm thinking it's the almond and sugary buttercream. The description is pretty much spot-on: "A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite."

It's foody but not cloyingly sweet - I definitely would gobble up anything that smelled like this, though - the buttercream and honey and sweetness would be too much to resist.

On deep sniffs, I am really getting the hazelnut, as if they've been chopped up and tumbled into a frosted cake rich with rum and honey.

Black tea, rum, cherry liqueur, almond buttercreams...it's all there. Slightly singed with kerosine, though. Nothing appealing here for me. Swap pile!

Wet -I detect strong Cherry/almond and i think a little buttercream peeking out. No boozy notes for some reason.

Then the transformation begins! I smell strong honey! Sweet thick golden honey all over the place which is a REALLY good thing.

Totally dry I still get whiffs of the sweet honey however there is a note that comes out I am having trouble describing that lasts and lasts....it reminds me of this shop I used to frequent in NewHope PA when i was 16 years old that carried different oils, wiccan herbs/supplies and always smelled like sweet incense. It makes me love this scent even more because it brings back those memories for me. I LOVE this and plan on a full bottle.

Hellcat is mostly sweet caramel booze and almonds to me. Foody, sinful. I don't particular like the combination, and prefer almonds combined with amber instead.

My god! Almond, is that you? Can it be? Have you given up your undying hatred for me?

This was a frimp, and I was so disappointed and apprehensive because every note sounded beautiful except the almond: my nemesis. Almond normally smells like Something is Totally Burning in the Oven, Isn't It? on me, but not this time! What is happening? It must be that this is "sweet almond," and not the standard "angry, bitter almond." :woohoo: Oh, labbies, you sent me this on purpose to help me see the light, didn't you? (I can believe that if I want to).

Anyway, Hellcat is a big dose of whippy white frosting drizzled with a thin, elegant trail of almond extract. And mead! Honest, gentle, good old honeyed mead. I loved it in Litha '06 and have been tearing out my hair in pursuit of something else (more attainable than Mead Moon) with that note. No rum here, which is probably good-- even though rum itself hasn't historically been a problem, "booze" is sometimes pretty medicinal and sour.

And this is actually not as sickeningly sweet as it might sound. It's very foody, but hardly a diabetic coma in a vial.

This smells like an incense pastry drizzled with honey. I get a lot of incense that reveals itself the longer it's on, actually, with the slightest tinge of foody.

Edited by cinderfallen

Bottle: Very sweet, with an edge. Marzipan & honey ^^

Wet on me: Almondy honey.

Dry on me: Even dry my hand smells like a sweet European confection. All almondy and sugar.

Wet, in bottle: Wow, hello almond liqueur! I love almond, and booze, so I'm not unhappy to smell it straightaway.

Wet, on skin: This is definitely warm. I'm getting something smoky in this scent, almost like incense, though I'm not sure where it's coming from. The booziness I got from the bottle is still present, but it's not as harsh.

Drydown: The almond has calmed WAY down, and shifted into the background, and incense-y note is definitely staying. The buttercream has come out to play, too. This is a delicious scent, like hot toddies by the fire, only less foody.

Dry: Dry, this is all sugary, smoky cream. A definite win for a cold-weather pick-me-up!

Edited by ChildofTime

Disclaimer I got this a long time ago. This imp is over 2 years old at least.

In the imp: The first time I smelled this I couldn't identify any notes except nutmeg. Now that I've been around the BPAL block I can say that the first note on top is sweet almond, very much like the main note in the beginning of Bastet.

Wet: Sweet almond on a honey base. Very foody. Reminds me of fall, the type of foods served in the waiting room of a large feast.

Drydown: The sweet mead pokes though, along with the hazelnut. Exceptionally foody. I'm having a hard time thinking of my wrist as dry, I half-expect to be sticky.

Dry: Sickeningly sweet. The almond doesn't stick around as long as the other notes. As it dries it blends a lot more and each whiff becomes more similar.

Conclusion: I've kept this for a long time as it was the first "spicyish" scent I had ever recieved. That said, I've barely used it. I've heard a number of people refer to this as a masculine scent, I personally don't get that vibe from this.

In the imp: Marzipan almonds and lemon cake. With alcohol. I want to eat it not wear it! Yum!

Wet: More of the honey, meady, sweetness is coming out, but definite almods.

Dry: Boozy honey with a bit of nut cake and lemons. I love love love honey and I'm so glad the marzipan smell stays in the background and the honey mead ends up being the prominent note!

Overall: I like it in the imp, but more for a candle or room scent for the holidays. But on the dry down I love it!! Boozy honey yumminess! Will keep the imp.

Wet: Holy shit this is horrid. A strong alcoholy perfume with a bit of nutty (but not hazelnut) bitterness.

Dry-down: I don't think foodie scents work on me. This stinks on me.

Dry: Washing it off.

In imp: buttery smell

Wet: Weird! The minute this stuff hit my skin, it turned to rum!

Drydown: the rum is calming down and I’m starting to get mead now, with some nuttiness.

Later: Interesting scent, predominately rum. Too boozy for me. Off to swaps.

Recieved as a frimp from the lab.

In the imp: Wow! Butterscotch and boozy chocolate-covered cherries. This is making me hungry! I think this is going to be either very good or very bad on my skin. Probably no middle ground here.

Wet: Whoo! Maraschino cherries, with a touch of rum. Yum.

Drydown: The scent is warming up. The cherry-ness of it is subsiding, but it's still there

Later: As it dries, it picks up a bit of powderiness, but it's not bad. The foody elements largely disappear. It's warm, incensy muskiness with a touch of cherry sweet lying underneath.

I'm learning I like foody scents. Good to know. I like this, and I'll use the imp. It's not for every day, and I probably won't seek out a bottle. I might change my mind if it ages exceptionally, though.

In the imp: smells like marizpan - butter, almonds... with a slight touch of butterscotchy booze

Wet on skin: more almonds and butter! Almost reminds me of a light, fluffy buttercream frosting. there are a bit of powdery notes my nose is picking up, too. Definitely a foody scent, but something else is there... It is very light, though.

Dry on skin: more powdery... but not nessisarily in a bad way. It's not your typical "baby powder" scent. The almond is still there.

Butter, boozy almond pastry...I think this is must related to Butter Rum Cookie or Bilquis. It falls in that same category of smells. Super foody, this is one that I don't use very often but really like when I do.

Edited to say that after almost two years worth of aging, Hellcat has mellowed to a point so that I can actually wear it without reeking if rum! Now it's light and more buttercreamy and the throw is moderate. Aging FTW!

Edited by Duskinhereyes

Woah, in the vial this is a sweet, sweet almond scent, very reminiscent of marzipan! On my skin, it deepens and a boozy hazelnut scent starts to appear, quite dark and different from the sweet scent in the vial, yet it still has a sweetness behind the stronger, deeper scent. After a few hours it settles to a creamy sweetness and honey. Very lovely!

Edited by kunoichi

This smells so, so delicious in the vial. Hazelnuts and buttercream and honey--almost like butterscotch with a bit of bite. On me though the rum just overpowers everything else and I smell like rum and honey. This isn't unpleasant, but really wasn't what I was hoping for. I really wanted the more foodie smell of the oil in the vial. I'm going to hold onto my imp in the hopes that maybe my body chemistry was off that day. Even if I can't wear it, I'll try to find some way to use it, because it just smells too good in the vial to let go of.

**ETA**

Nope, wasn't a fluke. The rum is just overwhelming in this one for me. After trying it again, the only thing I could think is that is smells like Red Hots (the candy). Not terrible, but not really for me. I'll be swapping this one. :(

Edited by lilwhiterabbit

Imp: Huh. That's rummy. Uh oh. Where's the frosting?

On, wet: .....rootbeer? Really? Rummy, spicy rootbeer. There's almost a clove or cinnamon note and sasparilla

Dry: Okay, the spicy note is actually walnut or something. That sharp walnut scent. Booze backs off. Praline/caramel scent as well. Unfortunately caramel isn't a friend of my skin.

I can totally see the Red Hots comparison, only my brain is registering the Red Hot note as really strong walnuts.

I get no frosting at all here, and this isn't something I want to wear as perfume. It'll be better on someone who appreciates seriously foody scents.

I can say that this has great throw, right out of the imp. Has that Eat Me cakey smell. Up close there's actually a glazed orange note when first applied? Could be the booze butterscotch and honey mead mix tricking my nose. This settles down quickly to a yummy viscous sweetness. Kinda like a tame Cockaigne..

Edited by SophieCedar

Wow! This is my first review of a scent ever. Exciting!

Hellcat wet in bottle: A sharp, alcoholic, bitter almondy yet sickly buttery sweet. I held off actually trying this one on my skin for ages because of how disagreeable it seemed. I definitley see what is meant about a "wicked bite"!

Wet on skin: the sharpness is already smoothing over, leaving way to a softer, furry sweetness. I'm already wondering why I didn't try this sooner. I should have trusted Beth!

Drying down on skin: It smells WONDERFUL!!! A buttery rum with a nutty, sweet edge. Or like honeyed cream/milk with rum, then flambe! IF you were a Hellcat, I guess this is the kind of milk you would expect to find in your saucer.

Words that come to mind: Scrumptious, Decadent, Intoxicating, Addictive, Luxuriant.

Imagery that comes to mind: A femme fatale, catlike in demeanour and attitude. Red lips, wild honey blonde hair, mischievous eyes, wicked grin. She is naked under the most luxurious creamy being fur coat you have ever seen, and wears diamonds on her ears, diamond bracelets and diamond rings. The colours in this scene are all beiges, blondes, golds, but the darker variety, there's no paleness here! I could just imagine Ava Gardner to smell like this, as she fits this image perfectly (I've just read her biography and wow! What a woman!)

Rating: Five stars (out of five) BIG Bottle is a MUST!

Potency: Good throw, but still has a subtlety. Long lasting. But I still want more because it's just too good!!!

Woah, booze!! This is what I expected Grog to smell like. Booze and toasted sugar all the way with this one. As it dries the almond comes out, reminding me of royal icing. My teeth hurt. This one alone is too sweet for me, but I'm going to try layering it with a leather single note I have.

I'd been wanting to try Hellcat since I got into BPAL five years ago, so I finally took the plunge and got an imp. I love honey, rum, buttercream, and almond, so it was a must try, so long as the hazelnut didn't act up. And happily for me, there's no hazelnut. But unfortunately, when the oil is on my skin, there's virtually no scent. In the imp I smell the lovely almond, but on my skin I can only smell what's probably the buttercream with a faint, faint edge of alcohol. I think Hellcat may be a scent-locket scent only because I don't want to give up on it.

In the imp, I think I'm getting a combo of the honey mead, rum, almond, and buttercream, amazingly sweet and wonderful. On my skin, it's almond and mead. Mmm. We'll see how this goes. A really sweet, boozy, spicy scent, perfect for a bar. Going to give this the wider skin test eventually.

Edited by Venneh