Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Bones Trombone

BONES TROMBONE
Pie crust, smears of blueberry marshmallow cream and lemon meringue, and hemlock.

I get the tartness of the blueberry and lemon, a very subtle touch of evergreen (that is actually quite nice) but very little of the pie crust, marshmallow cream or meringue.

I like this but think it verges on masculine and would love to smell it on a guy.

And I am almost certain other BPAL'ers will get more of the foody-goodness. My skin chemistry is notorious for burning through notes like that within seconds. Edited by Shollin

Very yummy scent on the skin. I get mostly a lemon marshmallow. There is a bit of blueberry that levels off the tartness of the lemon.

If you like sweet candy like scents you will really like this one!

Origin:

5mL from the Lab.

Preconceived notions:

Full disclosure: I hate lemon scents. And I'm not too fond of blueberry scents, either. Pie crust and hemlock can go either way. This is one of those scents that really shouldn't work for me but that I just had to buy anyway, this time because I love the label art. I hate clowns and so, of course (thanks to my twisted attitude towards things like this), I'm drawn to the idea of the Coulrophobia line and this one in particular, with its creepy, man-eating clown label. :blush:

First sniff:

Lemon pie filling and graham cracker crust. Maybe a touch of whipped cream and meringue. Very foody and I'm kind of enjoying the lemon note, amazingly enough. I wouldn't say I love it, but it's certainly not bad. I think that maybe it's the fact that it's a sweet, sugary lemon that's keeping me from being repelled by it.

Wet on skin:

As soon as Bones Trombone hits my skin, the lemon goes momentarily crazy and amps up, getting more sour and more fruity as it goes. Then it calms back down, although it's got a tiny bit of a lemon Pledge sort of vibe to it at this point. I don't really smell anything other than lemon at this stage.

Dry down:

Aaaaaand, we're back. Once Bones Trombone dries, it reverts back to something almost identical to the bottle scent. I get sugary lemon pie filling, pie crust that smells somewhere between a graham cracker crust and a standard pastry crust and a light, fluffy touch of meringue. The hemlock and blueberry never put in an appearance, which is fine by me, because I could take or leave either one.

The bottom line:

Bones Trombone isn't my favorite scent. It's not even my favorite Monster Bait scent (Closet gets that honor). But it is one that's probably going to stick around in my collection, although I don't know how often I'll end up wearing it.

wet: starts out strong bluberry cream and pie crust with sweet lemon meringue. Very foody. Trying not to eat my arm.

drydown: this starts quickly. The hemlock joins the lemon meringue for a second..lemon meringue gives the hemlock an icy stare.. hemlock recedes to a corner, quietly. Reminds me of a sweet weenie at 1st..boo or ghoulish or gollettes. Then it strikes up momentum and turns sexy cocktail.. like the kind I wish existed in real life..maybe a lemon blueberry vanilla flip made with real essences and fruit pulps *drool*. I think the hemlock is giving it the real fruit, not candy, impression.

It goes a little luau lounge on me, but in a much more seductive, tasty give-me-another, vanilla girl-get-drunk drink way. Awesome. This one will be a blast in the summertime.

Edited by SophieCedar

In the bottle, I get lemon meringue pie and a touch of green tartness from the hemlock.... when it first hits my skin that is exactly what I get.

Then, as it dries, the green recedes and it is yummy lemon meringue pie. It is so pie-like my mouth waters.......This is the kind of pie my mom made when I was a kid, with fresh lemon juice in the homemade pie filling, very tart but sugary at the same time, and homemade meringue broiled in the oven. I also get a little marshmallow type sweetness, but I'm not finding any blueberry (yet).

This is a delicious scent, right out of the mailbox! :wub2:

ETA: A couple of hours later, blueberry marshmallow it is! But still mixed with the lemon meringue pie. I love this.

Edited by ltrittipoe

This was very lemony for the first 15 minutes. Way more so then I remember the bottle at the wcwc. It kind of reminded me of skytyping with chemtrails.. but with a creamy blueberry note too. through the first half hour the blueberry note comes out for me, and actually lingers in the background all through the drydown. 6 hours later i get a very very light fruit-sweetened cream with the tinniest bit of herbal/green note, which must be the hemlock. I really like this one, and will be getting another bottle for sure.

I get creamy lemon merangue and not much of anything else lasting. For about the first hour, though, there was graham cracker -- the kids I teach said I smelled like s'mores, but without the chocolate.

Bones Trombone, you just make me smile. :)

In the bottle: green (hemlock?) and lemon with a bakery feel.

Wet: The lemon pie scent comes on strong with the green vying for equality. Blueberry marshmallow cream is subtle.

Dry down: AMAZING. This really smells like lemon meringue pie. I can't help but grin whenever I smell it. I really like what I'm guessing is the hemlock because it keeps it from being overly sweet and makes it unique. Makes it BPAL, if you know what I mean. The blueberry marshmallow shines as this wears on.

Really happy with this scent. It's definitely something that will make me happy whenever I wear it.

ETA: I was already wearing Celeste when Bones Trombone showed up in the mail. I skin tested BT a few inches away from Celeste, but can I just say - the two wafting around together was heavenly. I almost ate my arm.

Edited by Antoinette

This starts out with a blueberry blast (and a hint of lemon) and a super creamy coconut cream pie. It really goes very coconutty on me and I love it as its a rich coconut without being fake or overpowering. Win!

Bones Trombone: Upon first application I get a sweet blueberry fluff which quickly morphs into a tart lemon with graham cracker crust backdrop. Definitely reminiscent of a lemon meringue pie.

As it starts to dry the blueberry comes out more and something here comes out to add a slight spice, perhaps this is the hemlock coming into play. Wafts of blueberry marshmallow fluff is wafting back up at me as I type- yum!

The small amount of spice goes away quickly and the lemon is really amping now, very fresh like. There's almost a minty touch to it, it clears my sinuses slightly. Interesting.

Now it's back to the yummy pie scent.

2 hours later and this amazing deep, rich pie crust comes out. It's delicious and I want to eat my wrist.

In bottle: Sickly sweet, ugh.

Wet: Whew, lots of lemon! It's almost borderline pledge here, I really hope the blueberry fluff will come out to play soon, I truely do. :(

Drydown: Huzzah~! Bye, bye pledge! The lemon scent is shoved aside, becoming sweet blueberry pie with a graham cracker crust and a touch of hemlock. This is for certain something I like alot more on it's drydown phase than wet. Overall, I'm very grateful my body chemistry decided to cut this scent a break and let it work the way I'd hoped it would.

As with Knockout Drops, I can't stop smelling my wrist. I put one scent on each wrist for testing and now i'm sniffing both like a madwoman. Second bottle please!

Edited by StrangeSniffer

Bones Trombone - I could tell right away from the scent description that this was going to be one of those foody scents that smells SO DAMN GOOD when it's wet and then turns to plastic and dust when it's dry. Sure enough, that's exactly how things go because my skin chemistry just cannot play nice with notes like marshmallow. However, before my skin chemistry screws up the whole thing, it smells so lip-smackingly delicious. I smell a ton of sweet, juicy blueberry and a ton of thick, heavy, sticky marshmallow cream and a bit of lemon meringue. I don't really smell the pie crust at all. The hemlock gives the scent a slight bit of a medicinal scent, but it's so faint that it's kind of an interesting and unique addition to the blend. If it didn't turn so wonky on my skin, I would probably not be able to resist buying many backup bottles. It's delicious. :yum:

:wub2: Bones Trombone, oh how I love you. You smell sweet without being cloying. All soft ,creamy, lemon meringue pie & juicy blueberry pie filling. The canned kind in the gel. You do not turn funky plastic on me and you are perfect for this foodie. I must have a few more bottles of you. :wub2:

5/5 !

This is beautiful blueberry and lemon meringue at first.....delicious! The final dry down gets just a bit plasticy but I'm betting with a little age it will be just fine.

With each inhale, I get "mmmm, fluffy blueberry/lemony flaky-crusted pie of ....EVIL!!!" I'm amazed that at the end of each sniff comes the whallop of hemlock. Its like Bones throws his trombone slide out and bonks me in the nose! Genius.

Also, this one and Knockout Drops are canine attracters. My dogs come over as soon as I apply it, and want to lick it off my wrists.

In the bottle: Very sweet. I was worried that it might be TOO sweet.

On wet: Lemons! Like sticky lemon candy. But there's an underlying green kick that rears up. The hemlock. But only just for a few minutes and it's what keeps the scent from being so sweet as to drift over into cloying.

On drydown: Yummy. Like, I want to eat my own arm! :) Pure lemon meringue pie. Then as I wear it even longer it turns more marshmallowy. So yummy, the foody scent lover in me is very happy.

Starts off very much blueberry and lemon meringue (interesting combination—you wouldn’t think it would work, but it totally does). There is a touch of something off (hemlock) but it doesn’t ruin the scent. On drydown, I’m getting the pie crust, but just a little. On the whole, it’s nice and I think foodies will really love it. Lemon goes weird on my skin, so I’ll pass for getting a bottle, but will keep the decant. I think this’ll smell nice in the summertime.

Mmmm, yum!

So, when it starts off, I get a blast of sweet blueberry with a hint of graham cracker. After it dries I get the blueberry sweetness with whipped cream, and a flash of something "green" that I assume is the hemlock. Ye gods, I want to eat my arm.

A+++++++++++++++++++++!

Smells an awfully lot like my favorite (now discontinued) Yankee tart: Lemon Chiffon. It's the same creamy, foody, non Pledge-y lemon with something sort of bakery crust-y and fluffy underneath. I get the tiniest, gentlest whiff of blueberry on the drydown but I really have to look for it. Quite lovely, and light enough for summer but would probably wear well in cold weather if applied heavily.

eta: Sadly, with a full wear, the marshmallow cream does what every cream scent does on my skin: Turns to salty boiled peanuts. :cry2: Whyyyyy?

Edited by Leopard403

I was worried about the hemlock in this one but thankfully we're okay. It's a marshmallow-blueberry whoosh and makes my mouth water. Getting the pie crust too. Wow, I want to eat this right now. I won't though *huffs wrist*

I like this a lot more in the bottle than on my skin. In the bottle, it smells like fun, sweet, lemon gummi bears and real marshmallows. I haven't enjoyed bpal's other marshmallow scents, as they never smelled realistic to me (Marshmallow Poof smells more like fruit punch to me), but this smells like real, fluffy, vanilla-y marshmallows.

On my skin, the lemon amps up and this starts to smell too sour and tart for my tastes. The marshmallow fades far into the background. I'm left with lots of sharp lemon and hints of warm sugar. I don't smell anything like pie crust, blueberry, or hemlock at all. Just lots of strong lemon and sugar. A warmer and sharper scent than Sticky Bat. My husband said that this "smells like lemon cake and something I don't like."

I much prefer Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat for a lemon sugar fragrance, as Bones Trombone is a bit too sharp for me. I'm going to get a backup bottle of Sticky Bat and pass on getting a full bottle of Bones...

ETA: After letting this age for a few weeks, I now get almost no lemon from the scent, and tons of sickly sweet, cloying, candy blueberry smell. I actually like the scent even less now. Sugary blueberry candy. Too sweet.

Edited by Little Bird

I purchased a 5ml bottle of Bones Trombone from the lab because the description sounded too irresistible to pass up! I have to say I am SO glad that I did. This is one of the few sweet scents that I can wear often and feel that it's not too heavy or foody. I find a lot of BPAL's sweeter marshmallow or cream notes end up being heavy and overwhelmingly sticky feeling or just too much at times. This one has the perfect blend of sweetness and fruityness from the blueberry and Lemon meringue.

Wet: I get a ton of blueberry and marshmallow and a nice fresh lemon.

As it dries: The blueberry fades after about 10 minutes and it turns into a lovely creamy lemon and marshmallow blend!

30 minutes later: All marshmallow cream and piecrust with a faint hint of lemon meringue.

I LOVE Bones and I love clowns! This scent is a keeper!!!

I expected something fabulously foodie out of this, but... lemony herb. With a slight whiff of pie crust. Weird, and not all that pleasant on my skin. When it's dry it smells sorta like lemon and graham crackers.

I read the other reviews and got depressed because it sounds like it's great on other people. Stupid skin chemistry. Oh well. I have other great BPAL foodie scents.