Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cfrancesca

Anne Beany

This year, Lilith, our little Beans, is having a pirate-themed party, and the perfume created to commemorate her second birthday possesses a silly, playful scent - a toddler's nod to cartoon pirates. Rum cheesecake with a hardtack crust, topped with rum ice cream and a drizzle of butterscotch topping.

Oh my.

In the bottle this is amazing. Crusty, rum, butterscotch, cheesecake, I get it all!

On me however...I'm not sure. It's ridiculously strong - even just a drop seems to be too much on me. At first I still get the same scent in the bottle, but then it changes. First it goes through a short phase where it's AWFUL, and I can't figure out why. Then it's very maple syrupy to me - it reminds me of One Barrel Rum (my favorite!!), but then there's also a bit of...musty? Like an old wood chest with old clothes or something.

I think I would love this if I could just figure out how to tone it down a bit. I put it on my wrist as usual, but maybe I need to put it somewhere else? This may become more of an atmosphere scent than an 'on me' scent.

In the bottle this smells like Midway to me. Then, wet on skin, a bit of Red Lantern sneaks in (burnt caramel?), followed by just plain burnt.

Oh uh. Need to wait a week or so and see what happens to it. I really like the first stages. Maybe my nose is on overkill (after wearing Red Lantern all day)

Anne Beany - This opens up with a blast of rum, but almost instantly becomes the scent of sweet, sticky, ooey-gooey butterscotch. I usually hate the butterscotch note, but this smells soooo good! The cheesecake note is pretty faint, and I can smell the melty ice cream. It's so delicious...and then it dries down and turns into the typical another sweet, foody scent on my skin, which means it smells like plastic and dust. Damn.

I really like this for the first 2-3 minutes -- thought it was going to be a new favorite -- but then the dreaded Note of Plastic made itself known. Before that happened, it was a gorgeous sweet rum scent, and I could smell the cheesecake too. I get so fed up with my skin chemistry turning all these lovely BPAL foodie perfumes into plastic on me.

Ok, so really I tried this one because I have LV and Cake Smash and it seemed necessary for posterity. It also seemed to be the most promising of the 2 birthday blends this go'round. The first time I tried it I think it wasn't mixed very well because it definitely didn't smell at all like rum or butterscotch. I noticed some separation so I shook it up before the next time, and now whenever I put it on its basically ALL rum and butterscotch. I tend to be pretty liberal in application of BPAL scents because I usually go for lighter, close to the skin scents. This one is definitely one to use sparingly as it can be overpowering, esp after a while with the butterscotch- It kind of starts to smell like maple syrup. It is really fun, but I wish I got more of the other notes! I think my body does crazy things with butterscotch/caramel because it did the same thing when I tried red lantern. I do like this one better than red lantern though. It is really comforting in the cold weather!

In the bottle, I'm getting the rum-butterscotch-cheesecake combo. Mmmm. On my skin, rum and butterscotch, all the way. Oh god, so good.

In the bottle: rum butterscotch and cheesecake- oh my! :yum:

Wet on skin: the rum and butterscotch are both jumping up and down waving their arms to get attention. this scent is NOT subtle. but soooo yummy. :thud:

Dry down: the butterscotch has taken a backseat and the cheesecake has pretty much vanished. what i get now is the sugary graham crust and rum. lots and lots of rum. not boozy, though. just like, a cake made entirely from rum and sugar.

In all: medium to heavy throw, a good sugar alternative if you find yourself played out on, say, Sugar Skull or another sugar-heavy BPAL blend. This is fun and has definite potential for layering (Love's Philosophy and Beaver Moon, I'm looking at you.) a keeper.

Happy Birthday, Lilith!

:wub2:

Oh, yum. I knew from the moment I read the descriptions of both the Lilith birthday scents this year that I would fall in love with them. Amazing.

In The Bottle: Butterscotch, primarily, but I'm also getting notes of maple syrup. This is darker than I expected, which I find surprising - I figured this for a rich scent, yes, but not as dark as it is. Very sweet, nevertheless, and one of the strongest BPALs I've come across so far. There's actually an undertone beneath all the lovely caramelized goodness of the red fruity gumminess of MonsterBait: Bloody Mary. In fact, Anne Beany reminds me of Bloody Mary a fair bit in tone. They're not really in the same scent family (except for both being gourmands), but it has a similar feel. This is exceptionally foodie, which suits me perfectly.

Wet: Applied on the skin, Pancake Breakfast immediately comes to mind. This transforms into PB's cake-like pancakes, but Anne Beany is richer and deeper. If Pancake Breakfast was drizzled with maple-flavored syrup, Anne Beany was drenched with actual maple syrup (in fact, it's more maple syrup with a side of pancakes than the other way around). This is wonderful. Unfortunately...

Dry: ...Pancake Breakfast develops a plasticky note on me that comes across as almost mouldy. It certainly smells off. In Pancake Breakfast, this lasts for several hours before it wears off enough for me to enjoy it. The sad thing is, Anne Beany has this note, too. On the upside, this note is far less jarring in AB, and it's not enough to make me dislike it. As the bottle had calmed down from its travel, it's also diminished. Definitely in the same scent family as PB; very sticky and sugary. This wafts very well.

Anne Beany is, despite the off note, one of my favourite BPALs ever. This is beautiful. I'm not sure how much cheesecake and/or crust I'm getting, but if I do as it ages, I'll edit. As is? An absolute multiple bottle purchase. I don't ever want to run out of this.

Edited by devotchkadebones

This scent is so delicious! It actually reminds me a lot of Miskatonic U, but without the dusty book and autumn leaves smell. Butterscotch is the predominant note, with a cakey creaminess that mellows it out. I don't really get the rum smell, but my bf said he could smell it on me, but that it's subtle.

This actually turned into a very strong, unpleasant dusty scent on me after a while. It became more noticeable each time I wore it, and I finally had to find the bottle a new home. The true foodie scents all seem to go dusty on me.

Edited by whataboutprom

RUM of course! This is a warm, brown sugar rum, aka Hot Buttered Rum. Very yummy, and is kind of making me crave something sweet. After a bit, this is starting to go musty, like some heavy sweet boozy blends to on me. I don't really wear scents like this, but it would probably make a lovely, warm room scent.

In bottle: Sugar skull.

On me: mix sugar skull with Lilith´s tea party and the sweetness of cake smash.

This does smell more of pepper than cake on me. Better give it a second try. It really has throw though. I only rubbed the cap and you can smell it very strongly.

Delicious in the bottle and mainly smelling of rum, wet on my skin it was a fantastic blend of rum and butterscotch - mostly butterscotch with the rum keeping the scent nice and warm. Not much cheesecake in it for me but I loved it just as it was, and it also had a really strong throw. I'm so glad I've got a bottle of this on the way! It's already a new favourite of mine.

Anne Beany! How could I pass it up? In the bottle, it reminds me very much of Grog, mostly rum and butterscotch. On the skin, it was very much like Grog, too, until I noticed that my normal rolling technique had not actually blended the oil very effectively. Giving the bottle a bit of a shake resulted in a much stronger cheesecake presence and makes me love Anne Beany even more. Except that it makes me hungry for cheesecake with butterscotch topping. :yum:

Anne Beany

On: So sweet! Lots and lots or sweet rum and butterscotch and creamy notes.

1 hour in: Still very sweet, but there's a vegetable-like undertone to it, which I get with some of the sweeter scents.

2 hours in: Still about the same and still a strong scent.

6 hours in: A bit powdery not, but still mostly sweet with a radish-like note underneath.

Overall: Sigh, my skin messes stuff up sometimes.

Thank you, lejlkwiet, for letting me test this scent as a sniffy!

Imp: Wow, smells like rum raisins, buttery cake crust, caramel (must be the butterscotch) and.. licorice?

Wet: Fruity rum, caramel and butter.

Dry: Cheestcake crust! Buttery, creamy, delicious! Oh.. after several minutes, it smells faintly like fennel and butter. Meh. :(

To me, this is like Grog's little sister. Lovely and edibly delicious (don't worry I didn't eat it!) in the imp, and also when first applied. I was in total love with this until about an hour in when it turned into a butter Crisco on me. Bleh! If I could keep it fresh I'd love it, but the dry-down is awful.

To me, this smells exactly like the prototype Box 116. I get hazelnut and pineapple and that's about it. Maybe it's because I don't immediately recognize the scent of rum, but there's no butterscotch or cake. What the heck happened to this???

Not that I'm complaining, I love Box 116, I'm just a little weirded out by how similar these two smell without having any of the same notes, and I don't need both of these.

Yarrr, this Anne Beany be tasty! :pirate:

My bottle must be a bit butterscotch-heavy, but you won't hear me complainin'. (This is coming from the girl who wrote her undergraduate creative writing portfolio with the help of sporadic shots of butterscotch schnapps.) I get very little cheesecake, which is okay, because the Lab's cheesecake note often turns to plastic on me. Anne Beany is all boozy, boozy butterscotch with the barest hint of cake. This transports me right back to my undergrad nights of feverish writing and stargazing on the roof outside my bedroom window in the dilapidated old house my friends and I rented just off campus (A2 represent!).

After a few hours this veers into slightly plastic territory, but the rest of the time it's so delectable that I'm willing to overlook it. Foodie lovers, rejoice! And also, Go Blue! /end nostalgia

Edited by KittyHawk

I'm in a foodie mood today, time to test this little half-decant I purchased last month!

In the imp: DELICIOUS! :thud: The cake, the rum, the butterscotch! I just want to drink it all up! Please, skin, please be kind, don't ruin the delicousness.

Wet: Very subdued. And a bit... artificial? Weird, I can hardly smell it so I can't really tell what it's doing. It's not like I used a tiny bit, either.

Drydown: Wait, it's developing a throw, and I'm catching the crust now. Mmmmmm. There's also that sweetness- it's a bit buttery, a bit creamy, a bit butterscotchy. Actually, this is really nice. Wish it were louder, though. Skin, I know this is delicious, but you don't have to eat it up like this.

Dry: Ah, there's that artificial note from the wet stage. Plastic, but thankfully it's not too overbearing. Also, I can definitely smell ice cream now. Cool and creamy.

Further on: The plastic is still there but it's way more subdued. There's still ice cream here but now the butterscotch and crust are back. Trying not to lick my wrists right now.

I love thiiiiis. :heart: If there was no plastic in this at all I'd scour the forums for more. Well. Hm, no, I might go looking for more when I finish this imp. I just sniffed myself again and caught a light whiff of something fruity mixed with the rum and it's making my mouth water.

Luckily, my foodie cravings don't happen that often so hopefully this imp lasts for a while, because it is a precious, delicious treasure. :wub2:

I have both Grog and an imp of this. I have to say, they are quite similiar! Anne beany however is a bit more delicious, still foody and yummy, though. It is more butterscotch and sugary than Grog is.

This scent was mainly butterscoth and vanilla cake on me at first. It was so sweet and delicious. Then on the dry down the cheesecake and crust started to peek out. It added a little spice to the scent. It was so yummy but then...POOF! It faded soooo fast and I was devistated! :cry2:

This was a sweet and delicious scent filled with all the notes I love, but damn it the staying power was sooo short! It killed me to sell this off, but I think I was upset that it disapeared so fast on me! Maybe one day I'll give it a try again but with age I wonder if the potency would be even less...

This is pretty much all butterscotch on me, which is just fine, because the Lab's caramel note is probably my favourite ever. There's hints of rum, which makes this caramel even better. Absolutely edible.

I've been wanting to try this for ages, and Tielan was kind enough to send me a decant in my order.

In decant: Oh no :( no no no. It smells like Boo drowning in rum. A sea of rum. All the rum ever.

Wet on skin: Sickly sweet and overwhelming, I can already tell that this will give me a headache.

Drydown: Mega sweet and powdery, I've come to realize after trying hot buttered rum that it is the rum turning to powder on my skin.

I'm sorry Anne Beany....I have to wash you off.

I’ve been wearing my foodies during this period of social distancing because I find them comforting, but Anne Beany is a little too sticky sweet for me. It’s basically all butterscotch for the first hour or so, then mellow down into butterscotch rum. Good wear length and a little throw, which is a lot for my skin, from this well-aged decant.

This one is super sweet! It's all about the rum (which reminds me of buttered rum candies at first) on me, which becomes stickier overtime thanks to the butterscotch joining along side it. And it lasts! I never really got the creaminess of the cheesecake note, sadly, but I did get something that smelled a little odd in the background.

I'm glad I got to try this one, since it is a Lilith scent, but like Lucchesa, I feel it is a little too sticky sweet.