Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

GOTHABILLY
Black vanilla, Egyptian musk, Rožolj liqueur, and black cherries.

This blend's notes sounded like a perfect scent for me! Out of the bottle it smells similar to a jar of maraschino cherries mmmmm - those are my kind of cherries. I don't get overly boozy notes from the liqueur, in fact no booze here for me. After it settles on my skin it's a lovely cream and maraschino cherry scent. Kind of like a cherry Italian soda without the fizz. The cream note is similar to what I get from Velvet Unicorn and Boo. Very sweet blend, love it!

In my late teens, I had a nasty run in with a bottle of cherry liqueur and never felt the same way about the smell since. :lol: I thought for sure that Gothabilly was going to be all strong, boozy cherry and nothing else. Wrong. In the bottle, I smell cherries and a smooth liqueur but it's not that sickly cherry flavor if that makes any sense. I don't particularly pick out the black vanilla or Egyptian musk as dominant notes wet, but the overall effect after 5 minutes on my skin is so smooth and soft that the cherry has definitely taken a back seat. Lovely. :yum:

i have been testing out Gothabilly today. This is soooo not MB:Bloody Mary. The vanilla and cherry blend so well together, it comes across as this creamy vanilla blend and the musk has really given it another layer of smoothness. I do not pick up any boozy note at all. It wears really well, have had it on for over 6 hours and it is still going strong.

The black cherry note definitely leaps out of the bottle, but I can tell that it is the type that will settle down nicely shortly - on my skin, at least. I could smell the richness of the creamy, very creamy vanilla and super sexy, roll-around lustful musk, and depth of the liqueur (though surprisingly NOT boozy), and this one is a scent that despite its somewhat dark tinge vibewise, may be something I end up liking. Skin testing greatly anticipated!

Gothabilly - This was the one scent I was the most jazzed about because I love Egyptian Musk, black vanilla, and black cherries. It was a lot creamier than I expected. The cherry note is not juicy and wet cherry. It definitely reminded me of the creamy cherry cordial in MB: Bloody Mary, but it's not as sweet as that because it's tempered by the musk and liqueur notes. It's not as sweet to me as maraschino cherry is, either. It's surprisingly un-boozy, sweet in a muted kind of way, and smells extremely delicious, like something I'd want to pour over Cherry Garcia ice cream (if the perfume were a food, that is). It's a really awesome scent on me, sweetly feminine, yet not girly, and it definitely has a darker edge to it. I'm holding on tight to my bottle of this. Love it!

In the bottle and first on the skin its as everyone has said-- creamy, warm, not over the top cherry (but still cherry for sure). Over time the cherry dies out completely on me and I'm left with a light musk. It does go through a dusty plastic stage as many scents with vanilla-ish notes do on me, but it eventually passes. Really nice :D

Thanks so much to my Bat's Day angel for giving me the opportunity to try this!

GOTHABILLY

In bottle: Sweet musky cherry

On Skin: Egyptian musk is one of my alltime favorite notes so I instantly wanted this scent... but I was a bit worried since cherry amps like crazy on me. It's no exception here but I like it. It's not like fresh cherries or anything potent... it's sweetened by the vanilla and seems very candied. I was reminded instantly of this cherry lip balm I had as a little girl, and sure enough as it develops on my skin, it keeps that semi waxy note and makes me think of dress up. Very young and very innocent... The liquor and musk notes give it depth and a slight tint of darkness. While cherry scents are not normally my thing, I'll keep this one for times I'm feeling girly and cutesy. It's so fun!!! Moderate throw and long wearlength.

Auuuggghhh! I love this!! It's so good....*melts into puddle*

in the bottle: cherry tootsie pops.

On skin: initially the cherry is there, damn this smells like this cherry vanilla cream soda that my mom used to buy my brother and I when we were kids. The cherry fades into the background a d it becomes a lightly musky, sweet cream smell. Seriously, this is probably in my top ten list of BPAL's now. I shall treasure my bottle! Thank you bat's day angel!!!!

Vanilla & Cherry Liqueur on my skin. The cherry is definitely there, but it's not overpowering on my skin. As it dries, the musk softens the scent even more. :wub2:

First applied, this is a yummy cream cherry soda smell without the fizz. Yum!!! Soon after, the muskiness shines through and it's absolute awesomeness. Thanks so much to my Bat's Day angel for getting this for me so I could experience it. Light throw, so I'm guilty of the slather. :P

Thanks to the generosity of chatrient I was able to get a bottle of this all for my very own, and I'm reeeally glad! I knew I would love this given the notes, and I wasn't wrong. This is a delicate, soft, absolutely gorgeous scent and one I'll wear a lot during the coming summer.

In the bottle: cherry Tootsie Pops. Nom. There is a hint of vanilla and musk but it's cherry lollies in the beginning, no liqueur scent yet. Wet on my skin: the vanilla and Egyptian musks come out, adding a rich, confectionery sweetness to the candy cherry, but it's still very light. The liqueur note emerges a little, but just a tiny bit and only for a short while. During the drydown the cherry becomes very faint and the vanilla and musk stay close to the skin, not a lot of throw, which I like. This is a very ladylike musk, if such a thing is possible! It reminds me of Love's Philosophy with just a hint of fruity sweetness. Mmm.

This is the kind of scent where people tell you that you smell good, not that your perfume smells good.

I don't amp any one of the notes and they all work beautifully with my skin chemistry so I am ecstatic I have a bottle of this. If you like cherry, vanilla and Egyptian musk you should try hard to get your hands on some! It's amazing. :wub2:

*HUGS* to my angel for getting this bottle for me at Bat's Day. You ROCK my world! This is one of my favorite BPAL scents...by far! I mean, srsly. How can you go wrong with all of these amazing notes? When first applied, I get a nice blast of maraschino cherries, a little booze, w/ a gorgeous, light vanilla creme note. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Soon, the egyptian musk comes into play pretty fast, cutting out the sweetness just a *touch*. This is absolutely, positively, simply GORGEOUS. Wow. I can't stop sniffing my wrists....... :yum:

Creamy black cherry and vanilla. :yum: On the right day this will be lovely. There is the barest hint of egyptian musk...I am very intrigued by this one. I think I will keep this to see what happens with some aging.

First on, this is all tart, candy-sweet black cherry on my skin, with a hint of creamy, sweet vanilla. And then after about five minutes, I suddenly can't smell the cherry anymore and I'm left with a light, silky, sweet, exotic, boozy vanilla scent. It's like a drydown of amber colored vanilla liquor. Very nice. I just wish that this had more throw and staying power (it lasts about 2 hours on me and clings close to my skin), but it's worth taking the time to reapply.

ETA - I had two bottles of Gothabilly and don't care for the scent at all now that it has aged. Gothabilly is like sickly sweet cherry with baby powder on me now, like the cherry has gotten stronger and eaten the lovely vanilla notes.

Edited by Little Bird

Sweet cherry and vanilla combination that is reminiscent of Blood Kiss without the vetiver. Very yummy without being too much of a 'foodie' scent!

Clear the way, inexperienced nose coming! I was frimped a testable amount by a wonderful gal, and I could not be more grateful! Strangely, the main note that I am noticing is coconut! And strong, too. No vanilla, no musk, no Rozolj liquor, no cherries. Just coconut! I am going to stick with the arm that is wearing Romanti.goth!

Edited by cmjames

I had high hopes for this one, but the musk ruins it for me. It starts out promising, sweet cherry and vanilla. It's not as boozy as I had hoped since it is a cherry liquer--it's more like a candied cherry or cherry pie filling or something. I like it initially, but then the cherry fades down and I get a vanilla musk, and that musk is just too....musky! I don't know, I just don't like white musk or egyptian musk, but sometimes they end up being more a base than an individual note so I'm ok with them, but not this time.

Oh well! Off to swaps!

Damn. I almost hoped to not like this one because I fear it's going to be difficult to track down. It starts out very cherry and boozy, but quickly calms to a creamy musk with a hint of cherry in the background. It is very light once dry and doesn't have much throw. It's just creamy and smooth and musky and soft and feminine..and I want a bottle nao! This would be great for spring or summer.

Uh ohh.. I found a rare one I like enough to search for a bottle.. great. ;)

My sweetheart, a retired gothabilly, couldn't stop himself from opening it to find out what he was suppose to exude all those years. hahahha.. Well actually, he needed my help opening the imp (he was being a bit gingerly for fear of spraying the room) He LOVES it...

The cherries in imp and first wet are almost too syrupy and strong but this quickly grows on me then tempers.

Drydown, the egyptian musk comes out and I realize that whatever black vanilla is, that's the vanilla for me.

Have a bottle of this and I'm a little undecided. It has every single note that I love--vanilla, cherries, Egyptian musk and yet somehow it falls a little flat. It's nice but maybe it's the fact that it has no throw and gets VERY faint VERY fast that is undoing it for me. The musk does indeed overpower a bit as some others have mentioned so if you love Egyptian musk, you'd almost certainly adore this but I was hoping for a little more cherry and vanilla. It is not foody but it's very sweet and almost sugary, and I love the foodie and sugary blends so that's nice but something about this, which I can't fully put my finger on, is just not quite 100% working for me.

I really agree with vegasblueblood. It falls flat.

It starts out with promise. The vanilla is rich, the cherry is vibrant. I think the musk combined with the booze really does a dozy with this though. It ends up a bit powdery on me and shows no depth.

Glad I got to try it but I'm crossing it off my list.

In Bottle: Muuuusk. And cherry.

Wet on skin: Vanilla-y cherries. Don't really smell any musk now, huh.

Drydown (3 minutes): Sweet boozy cherries, with a musky background.

Drydown (5 minutes): Pretty much the same. Sweet cherries, with a little must to add depth to the scent.

Overall Impression: This is nice, but I do have lots of fruity and boozy scents already. I'll grab one if it's a good deal, but it's not on my OMGMUSTHAVE list.

Actually this is a very pleasant cherry booze. Normally cherry turns to icky cough syrup on me, but this is actually quite tasty. Makes me think of redvines. Yum!!

After only a short time, the cherry booze fades quite a bit and now I am getting an enormous rush of vanilla. Wow, this is unexpected! I wasn't expecting to like this one, but it is kinda growing on me.

Huh, this scent disappeared altogether on my skin really quickly. Ah, well. Not for me then.

Ohh.. this is so good! I was a bit scared of the cherry deal.. the last couple of times there's been a cherry-related BPAL out, it hasn't ended well for me. Sometimes it turns into that nasty cough-syrup fake-plastic type cherry and totally misbehaves by bullying any other notes into oblivion. But not here.. nope.. wooooo!

This is very much like Boo for me - it's that same deep vanilla note, but in Gothabilly the sweetness of the vanilla is well tempered by the musk. And the overall feel is slightly boozy, but not in an obvious way - the liqueur seems to be melded with the cherries beautifully so that the overall effect is dark and syrupy rather than sweet and fruity.

I like this because it's sweet without being candy-like, and it's not one of those "pink" or "young girl" blends - this is definitely grown-up but with a playful edge. Actually, it really suits the Gothabilly name! Very very nice, something I could wear any time and just enjoy the nice smell.

This is exactly what I hoped it would be! I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with cherry scents. A lot of the time, I don't like them. And yet I love both Bloody Mary and Velvet Unicorn (which are sort of like bitter/dry and sweet/creamy sides of the same coin). I don't wear fruit scents often because...I don't know, they don't grab me as perfumes. Seeing Egyptian Musk in this was exciting and I thought it would be the key to wearability.

Well, the musk does the job! Wet, this definitely has plenty of cherry. When it first goes on, it is very much like Velvet Unicorn -- lots of sweet, red fruit with a rich creaminess. The alcohol quality seems subtle, to me. It blends very well with the other notes, so it doesn't come off like a fruit punch.

As it dries, the vanilla deepens and the musk comes in and marries everything together. The musk reminds me of the one in Black Lace. I don't know if it's the same, but the effect with the black vanilla and booze is similar. Replace the tobacco and antique linens in that blend with black cherries, and you might have something similar.

If you wore Velvet Unicorn when you were a little girl, Gothabilly is what you'll wear as an adult. It's a dark and sexy scent with a flirty edge from the cherries. I mention little girls, but this is unisex. At least, I think it would smell great on a guy. Throw seems good, wear life is about average.