Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Snap-Dragon-Fly

Plum pudding, holly, and brandy-soaked raisin with frumenty, mince pie, and a hint of suet.

Holy fruitiness!

Imp: Sweet purple bubblegum with a wooden/nutty note in the background.

Wet: Smells like grapes, raisins and other fruity purple things mixed with rice or rice pudding. Has a very sweet and soapy character. Slightly nutty.

Dry: Rice pudding with fruit. Don't get any boozy notes. Not spicy either. Just sweet, fruity, nutty, foody, soft and soapy. :)

Imp/Wet: VERY fruity/boozy. Brandy soaked rasins, eggy custard and a slight green bite from the holly.

Dry: this is all custard and spice with a little of that fruity raisin note....the booze is gone, and it's foody in a comfortable non-specific way.

I was really unsure of this in the bottle, but I see it being a good one for winter.

I hadn't looked at the notes in this since it was released; when I tried a sample, I was pretty much a clean slate. I get jam. A big reddish-purple rich jammy jam. On toast. Serious dark toast. I am, in fact, shocked that the notes aren't jam on toast!

In the bottle- Interesting...this smells like booze and...something else. Definitely not fruity. Maybe the bread note...

Wet- Oh. It's meat. Yep. That's totally meat. This actually has a meat note. Well, that'll teach me for thinking it's some kind of metaphorical mince-pie note. This smells a hell of a lot like a real Christmas-y meat pie when wet. There's a rasin-y booze smell in the background, but it's behind the mince pie and holly.

Dry- Okay, here we go. Holly and fig and booze start to assert themselves past the suet/mince smell. This is interesting... academically this smells nice- and avoids smelling like potpourri or a Christmas shop- but this is not a sexy scent. This is really thick and savory in a way that's good but not nice. I can't imagine a boy smelling me and wanting anything except maybe a pork-pie. I think this goes in the 'good room scent' category for me, because it really does smell like Christmas without being *obvious* Christmas but...don't want to smell like this all day.

TL:DR I smell like meat. But interesting meat. 2/5

Wet: I could smell the holly and brandy along with the plums when in the bottle, but the second it hits my skin it's grape jellybeans.

Drydown: It gets lighter but still smells like candy.

Dry: Piles of jam on a tiny piece of buttered toast. Mostly just jam. Then slowly it all begins to fade away.

This is a weird one. I like it, but it behaved unexpectedly on me. My skin seems to eat up all the different notes at various paces. I'd recommend it to a friend, but it's not for me and my skin chemistry.

5 out of 10 bones

(edited for typos)

Edited by BoneBone24

In the imp: Fruity, boozy and a little cakey, or cookie-like maybe.

On skin, wet: Boozy fruit. No more cake/cookies.

On skin, dry: Similar to the wet scent, but there's something a bit off lurking in the background.

After an hour: This has gone sharp (in a bad way) and a little perfume-y. Not a winner.

Imp: Artificial cherry or some other fruit, buttery undertone. Um. :ack:

First on, it’s pretty buttery and not as fruity. Buttery crust and some sort of fruity booze. Very Yankee Candle where I spilled some on my fingers, like some sort of “autumn harvest” scent. Powerful and fairly unpleasant to my nose.

5 minutes: The suet note is really prominent on my wrist, with a bit of mince pie and a touch of plum emerging. The back of my hand has that buttery mince pie scent, but also a strong brandy-raisin component. Hmm. Not my thing. Artificial foody.

10 minutes: Not quite as pungent. The raisin is more realistic, and admittedly, I’m impressed by how much like buttery crust it smells. It stays the same for quite a while, flaky crust and some raisin on my wrist. Back of my hand is a holiday candle.

30 minutes: Much booziness on the back of my hand - brandy, definitely. There’s also a spot-on impersonation of the suet cakes my family used to hang outside for birds, which is intriguing, but I’m not altogether thrilled by it. And mince pie, yeah. Very accurate. Interesting raisiny-grapey presence on my wrist.

45 minutes: Comforting in an odd sort of way, definitely evocative of the holidays. On my wrist it’s mostly fruity with some flaky crust, and could actually work as a perfume, I think. On the back of my hand – not so sure. Definite plum. Definite buttery crust. Touch of raisin and brandy. Yep. Does what it says.

1 hour: Brandied plums, I think. The suet/butter note is much quieter now. It has a ton of throw though, a bit overwhelming. After another half hour it becomes the first BPAL scent I have to wash off – though it sticks determinedly to my skin. Not that it’s horrible, just very heavy and not at all my style.

Summary: A fairly accurate representation of what it claims to be: plum pudding, mince pies, suet, brandied raisin. Some cloying and artificial, holiday candle sort of moments, but also some surprisingly realistic ones – like an impressive buttery crust note. Strange and very foody, very strong throw.

Rating: 1/5 – not for me

I recently was frimped this and a bottle was soon to follow. Foody scents usually work well for me but I am always looking for something other than a vanilla based scent and Snap-Dragon-Fly is so deliciously different. Plus who can resist suet :yum:

In vitro - very plumy and a tad bit boozy, like a strong port wine but richer. Really resisting the urge to drink the imp. Faint buttery something off in the distance.

madidus - Booze comes out and smacks me silly then quickly goes away. Now it smells like a very buttery croissant with rich plum preserves.

siccus - So this may be a bit out there but if you have ever had a dessert called Spotted Dick (stop laughing!) This smells just like it! If you haven't heard of it.....Imagine the moistest most delectable raisin muffin ever, then pour some custard on top. It has a very rich buttery note in the dry down and the fruits are dry, not so heady. Very bready and purple fruits. Lovely. Can't wait to smell myself while having a nice cup of tea.

In the imp: Plum, maybe the tiniest hint of Christmas spices.

Wet: Ooh, getting a hint of pastry. Very rich and fruity. Noms.

Dry: Aww bum. An odd mix of red gummy fruits (as BPAL's plum note seems to like morphing into on me), spices and pastry. Would probably have been a bottle purchase if it had stayed like the wet stage, alas!

Not a big fan of foody, but let's see.

Imp: A sweetly boozy plum, mince and something wonderfully grounding and green-- the holly, I suppose?

Wet: Thick, sweet, spicy bread pudding at first, then something green and a bit waxy (just like holly leaves!) and a very well-behaved booze note. It smells like a rich, sophisticated Christmas candle in the best way possible. I can see the jam comparisons.

Dry: A slightly generic but pleasantly sweet food-and-greenery smell, festive and pleasant. This isn't outstanding on my skin but it is quite nice, and I will probably keep it for a room scent for the holidays.

This smells so much like holiday cooking that it's really not my thing. It is way too foody for me, but if you're a foody, you should check it out!

all I get out of this is bright red, sweet fruits and a hint of grass-which I'm guessing is the holly. this is very pretty, and fluffy. this is going to be very nice for spring, and i think that is one i would actually use of a bottle of-so it's staying.

it does feel vaguely like a middle ground between the second of the two spirits and midwinter's eve.

ITI: It's rather foody, like caramel popcorn (suet perhaps), berries, and buttered bread with sweet cooking spices. It's warm and inviting, actually.

Wet: Artificial berry jam, plum, suet, and just little baking bread.

Dry: I still get the berry jam scent (which still might be the brandy-soaked raisin), along with a grainy mid tone. It's interesting, but it makes me hungry.

In the imp: The strongest association to me is definitely an oat-cookie with a cream filling. Warm and comforting, very sweet but the pastry-ness kind of calms the sweetness down. Plus something buttery (hm, this could almost be dough instead of a cookie) and something... somewhat paste-like fruity, like a plum pudding, yes.

Wet: Plumminess, raisiness and spicyness get a little more exposed, but very similar to what it was in the imp.

Dry: At first I thought it to be rather linear, as it barely changes while being on my skin. On my friend's skin, though, it gets a lot more raisin-y and spicy! I detect something like ginger and cinnamon, while on my skin, those notes are pretty much nonexistent.

Imp: Sweet, boozy berries with a hint of green.

On: It probably my body chemistry today, but I'm getting nothing really foody from this at all. It's very bright! Fizzy, powdery sweet plum that brings to mind these, but juicier. As it dries down the boozy note tries to peek in, the fizz fades, and overall the scent quiets a little. This is very pretty, but I'm keen to try it again in a week or so before I make any decisions.

Lab-fresh imp.

In the imp: spiced raisins and a buttery note. Mmm!

On my skin: unrepentantly tart candy-fruit and meat fat. Damn, this is bad on me. I am sad now...

Edited by vthesiren

This is a frimp from the Lab. Part of me is wondering if I should age it to see if it gets at least a longer life on my skin. I'll try, I guess.

This comes on my skin with plum. My brain says that it smells similar to the BPTP Plum Puddin'. As it dries, a smoke scent comes on me for a little bit, but that fades away. I end up with a faint bread (which must be the frumenty) trying iits hardest to show up on my skin.

This lasts, at the longest, two hours on my skin. I''d run through the imp in a day if I kept reapplying. It is nice though. Perhaps give it some more time to rest in there.

This is going to be a short review:

On me this is artificial fruit, rancid butter, and meat.

Tried to scrub it off three times and I can still smell it.

So gross. :sick2:

This turned really cheap from Walmart holiday candle on me, right down to that zinc core wick smell somewhere...I don't seem to have a lot of luck with baked goods type foodie scents.

got a frimp from the lab! :) right off i smell the brandy-soaked raisin. looks like this will be quite foody of course. i'm not usually a foody person but love trying new scents no matter what. i think i get hints of the mince pie!! how odd but it's there, along with holly. it seems like a good holiday scent. it ends up fairly bready and raisiny. it's a very comforting scent, though not something i would really wear because it's too foody but glad i got to give it a try anyway.

Edited by theseagrows

Hmm... this is an interesting scent.

I get fruit jelly, potporri and BREAD! Also, something a little weird in the background. Might be the mincemeat... it isn't a bad weird though.

This isn't really something that I see myself wearing on a day to day basis but it doesn't require washing off.

In the imp: I am not familiar with all of the notes in this, but this is definitely plum-y and raisin-y. :P

Wet: The plum pudding reigns. I am not fond of plum notes, so this isn't really my jam. I'm just not fond of sweet, berry and dark fruit notes. After a bit, the brandy-soaked part of the raisin note makes an appearance, so that it's boozy plum and raisin with a hint of the mince pie.

Dry: The plum pudding note is still the most prominent note. The brandy-soaked raisin isn't so brandy-soaked anymore, and the hint of pastry crust from the mince pie is even fainter now.

Verdict: This is too plum-y for me, but I'll be holding onto my imp (like I do with all Mad Tea Party imps).

I agree with the Christmas associations, up front is green holly with plum pudding and brandy being the next most apparent. There is a bready aspect which must be the frumenty and/or mince pie. Boozy, festive, and fruity. Not something I see myself wearing though!