Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Snap-Dragon-Fly

Plum pudding, holly, and brandy-soaked raisin with frumenty, mince pie, and a hint of suet.

In the bottle: WTF is that?! Mince pie? I've never smelled mince pie, so I don't know.

Goes on as the brandied raisin thing, which turns... savory. Salty. The suet, I guess. Then I get the plum pudding, which dries into a fake grape bubblegum kind of note.

Goddamn the Mad Tea Party line is weird. Not in a bad way. Technically brilliant, an astounding series of artworks utterly capturing all of Carroll's impossible characters and descriptions. But seriously weird.

Wet: Plums (which are turning to plastic) sweetness, spice, and a weird buttery note. Blarg. This is not good on me so far. At all. It's quickly turning from sweet to savory. I don't want to smell like this current stage.

Dry: This is so odd. It's a mix of sweet and savory, and plastic on me because sometimes plum does that. Not good. Interesting though! Glad to have tried it.

Lab fresh imp, light amber oil. in the imp, I smell sweet sticky cake. Wet on skin, the plum note emerges and mingles with the cake. Dry, the cake note has disappeared and I get a spiced plum scent. More of a cooked plum than a fresh, juicy one. I get a bit of salty pastry crust too, if I take a good sniff. Unfortunately it goes sour and unpleasant on my skin after an hour or two. If not for the sour morph, this scent would have become one of my favorites.

I'm breaking out my festive GC's. This is one foody fragrance I wear pretty well. I think it ages well too, as my imp is about 3 years old, and it's gotten smoother and richer. It's smells like dark, chewy plum, brandy, and soft spices (clove and allspice), with a hint of brown butter. So basically - gooey plums and mince meat pie. I love it for an old fashioned Christmas feel, and it's got a heavier, darker vibe going on than a lot of the cake scents. It wears for 6 hours or so on me and eventually fades to soft, sweetened spice.

If you are a plum or spice fan, give it a go, or if you like foody frangrances, this one is rather unusual.

Snap-Dragon-Fly starts out on me with plum pudding, the Lab's lovely deep rich plum note, faintly boozy and spicy. But the plum is gradually supplanted by not raisin but grape, plus some of the pastry note that rarely works on my skin. Fortunately I don't make out any suet, which would turn me off even though I know intellectually that it's vegan suet. I know there was a Christmas Carol Yule with just plum pudding and holly -- I need to find some of that one. That would be perfect.

In the imp: Raisins with a little bit of... fizz? Sniffing again, I think that might be how I'm interpreting the rum portion of the note. 

On my skin:

Rum raisin with something that smells like animal fat. As it dries, I'd call it more like a butter crust note. As it dries, spices -- the mince pie -- emerge. (I do not know what either plum pudding or frumenty smell like. I do not detect a plum-plum note.) 

Given about a half hour to develop on my skin, it's lovely spicy mince pie close to my skin with some throw that has definite rum raisin and perhaps hints of plum. 

Doesn't morph on me much after that. 

I'm very intrigued by this blend and want to test it further. My initial impression is that it's most suited to a cool- or cold-weather scent. 

Bottle (without looking at notes): Fruit, currant, something citrus and dark
Wet: I'm actually not too sure. More of above with almost a mince pie feel to the sweetness and spices. 
On: very much mince pie turning into grapey plum fruit note. 
Dry down: The same, still suety, maybe even stronger highlighted by a slightly raisin maybe brandy note.
Interesting, it's not love, but I'll keep it since I've been collecting the Mad Tea Party scents