Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon's blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

In the bottle and as soon as I put it on, it smells sickly sweet. I immediately want cookies and then I almost don't because the sweet is suddenly dizzying. It's dizzying, but I'm almost happy that it is. Goosebumps.

Thankfully, it dies down some and now it smells sweet and warm with the dragon's blood somehow adding a tart feeling behind it. It's subtle...most of it is sweet vanilla, but the dragon's blood gives it the tiniest bit of an edge.

It's heavenly. I want to just sit around sniffing my arm and purring.

A while later, and it seems like the dragon's blood and the sweeter parts of this scent are battling it out for who will be dominant. Funny thing is, I'm not sure I care who wins. If it's vanilla with a hint of dragon's blood, it'll be great. If it's dragon's blood with a hint of vanilla, it'll still be wonderful. So, I'm happy all around. I get the feeling this battle might last a good long while and that's part of what makes this scent a fun one.

A lovely half bottle due to some swapping. :P

In the bottle: All cherry, all the time. Hello Dragon's Blood, I know your scent :D

Wet: Cherry dipped in honey.

Drying down: Vanillaish honey cherry thing.

More drydown: I'm going to look kind of weird walking about with my nose on my wrist or affixed to the bottle. Honey and vanilla all right, with just an itty bitty cherry on top.

Impressions: This is pretty yummy!

Cat's impression: She's having a bad day. She's not sitting still for anyone.

Verdict: Dragon's blood stuff by and large seems to like me, and vice versa. :D

In the vial, I could tell that this was going to be a creamier blend. So I was a bit surprised when I applied it and all I could smell was the dragon's blood. After a little while, the vanilla and the honey came out a little bit. A few hours later, I asked my husband why he put on my old bottle of Stila's Creme Bouquet perfume and he looked at me like I was insane. Then I realized I was smelling myself. All vanilla and honey, with just a touch of floral. For the most part, the dragon's blood had disappeared.

All in all, I enjoy this blend. Might just need a bottle of it. :P

Gah.

Okay, the Ars Draconis line just does not agree with me.

I smell something almondy/cherry, which isn't my bag.

Dragon's Milk is very sweet and syrupy on my skin. On and off, my skin detects a little bit of a plastic-wrapper scent.

This doesn't work for me, but if it's you're thing, go for it. I'm glad I tried it, though, so now I have one less scent that will leave me wondering.

-doreen

In Bottle: Very sweet. I like the dragon's blood, but the honey and vanilla are a little too sweet. But I love vanilla!?!

Wet: It is softer on. The honey takes a back seat the dragon's blood gets pretty sweet on my skin.

Dry: It smells kind of like candy. Maybe a little too sweet. It also fades rather quickly--so fast that I feel that I can't get a good feel for the dry scent since I have to slather on more. I think I'll try other stuff with DB in it, though.

Pretty girls wear Dragon's Milk because it is entirely too goregous for its own being. I love love love this. It is a resinish vanilla. It smells a bit like candy. The resins really whirl the vanilla together into a sexy powdery blend. This can be worn at any time of the day. I bet it's dead sexy on a bloke as well... :P

My first BPAL review.

In the bottle: Oh my, this is strange. Ailgwyn described the scent of dragon's blood as "cherry and rose," and while I've never thought that was quite accurate, it does have the sort of sweet-and-fragrant thing going on at the same time. Adding musk to it disconcerted me, but then we've got the layer of vanilla biting through it. I never thought vanilla could be biting before. I wonder what on earth this is going to turn out like on me.

On my skin, wet: the same sweet-musky-cutting-disconcerting as it was in the bottle.

On my skin, ten minutes later: the dragon's blood has mostly faded off my skin. All that's left is the musk and the vanilla, but the musk, unlike most of the musk I've tried, doesn't like me much. It's gone powdery, and it's kind of giving me a headache.

On my skin, two hours later: Okay, everything's gone but the vanilla, and that is lasting like whoa. Mmmmmm, though, this is a really snuggly vanilla, sort of like the feeling you get taking flannel sheets out of the dryer. Er, without the static, but the same warmth and dryness.

Interesting. I dunno whether I'll keep this. Its original stages make my head hurt, but its drydown turns into what I suspect SN Vanilla Bean would smell like on my skin, and that's a pleasant, long-lasting smell.

Edited by Ilina

Bottle (Imp): This smells rather sweet and a bit breezy, but just a hint.

Just On: It smells much breezier, and still a bit sweet.

An hour or two later: I smell flowers. Maybe a hint of sweetness.

Around 6 hours: Now I can smell sweet flowers. I like the way this is fading, and if it would come with this first, it might jump very high on my list. There's something herbally smelling in there too.

12 hours: I can't smell this at all anymore.

Overall: I actually rather like this, and between this one and Dragon's Tears, I will be trying more of the Ars Draconis scents.

After reading other reviews: I really didn't get the vanilla part that so many others did, which is a bit disappointing. I sitill like it, so it's one I'd order.

Wow, but this is very, very sweet! Like clear sparkling rock candy, tangy and joyful. I can't decide whether it's overly sweet on me yet, and I don't know if it completely suits me, but what a lovely scent! :P

In the imp: Oh wow. Sugar cookie, but a little more sweet and a little less spice.

Wet on me: Same but with some dragon's blood in the background. (Oh and I suddenly have SUCH high hopes for the upcoming Milk Moon if it's anything like this!)

Drying: The dragon's blood is becoming a bit stronger, but doesn't quite seem to blend with the rest of the delicious.

Dry: oh it blends!!! Oh it all blends nicely! I still have a hunch I'll like Milk Moon better, but this is verrrry nice. Unlike the other blends, the dragon's blood is just a highliting rose/resin drop in the background of this. I see a bottle of this in my future!

I LIKE IT!!!!

Edited by Muppetk

In the bottle, I thought it smelled terrible. I don't think the Ars Draconis line is for me but I thought I'd try Dragon's Milk due to all the sweet involved.

Man this was everything I had hoped it would be.

On my skin it smells like candied cherries (not sickeningly like what I got when I put on The Red Queen), cooked sugar?, vanilla and I can smell a faint nutty smell.

So, Dragon's Milk is a definite yes!

Edited by brandileigh

In the bottle:

Very sweet and warm, nothing particularly bad or great either way

On me:

Oh yeah I can smell the honey. I don't dislike honey at all, but it has a way of turning slightly powdery sweet on me. It's not really the powder smell, just powdery if that makes sense. I smell the vanilla a bit in there, but I'm not sure I can smell the Dragon's Blood at all to be honest. I'm picking up mostly just on the honey and not much else. There is something way way in the background of this that is vaguely floral smelling, but not in a bad way. It's a barely there hint of a flower.

Final note:

I do really like this, it's not so sweet that I can't wear it, but it is pretty simple and I don't think I'll find myself reaching for this very often being that it primarly smells like honey to me. I'll be keeping my imp though :P Actually, come to think of it, this smells exactly like Dana O'Shea to me, only with more throw.

My favorite scent - I have a 10ml bottle on the way! =)

It has a sweet, rich smell that is tempered by a powdery softness. It is a great "anytime" scent. After a while (as it starts to wear off), the powdery scent starts to overpower the rest.

I ordered this as an imp because of the description of Dragon's Blood, milk and honey from some of the other reviews. I so wanted to like this!

In the imp:

Cherries and almonds. Very sweet.

On me:

Ugh. Went straight to plastic wrap and some vaguely acrid smell.

Drydown:

Still plasticy.

Dry:

The plastic is gone now, however, most of the sent is gone too. This had disappointing scent, throw and staying power.

I will let it age for three weeks and update then in the hopes that aging will let me like it more!

I've been sitting on pins and needles about this one ever since Dragon's Blood when sour on my skin. And I soooo want this one to work out.

In the vial - Bubblegumy vanilla. Oh dear... Very, very bubblegum with dashes of vanilla added in. Sweeter than all get-out, too.

Wet - Slightly less bubblegum with slightly less vanilla and a whole lot more lilac.

Drying - Cherry bubblegum with just a dash of vanilla layered under florals. It's fading out a lot, which doesn't tend to mean too much, since my skin likes to absorb an oil and then spit out all the wrong notes. It does seem that the vanilla and the lilac are combining in all the wrong ways on me, but I'll have to wait and see.

Dry (2 hours later) - This has settled into a very sweet vanilla floral, with just a hint of resin in the background. It really comes out and throws when in the heat. The lilac is actually very hidden within the honeysuckle right now, which is WONDERFUL.

Overall - The vanilla comes out more and more as time wears on and even 12 hours later (!!!), I can still smell it if I sniff my wrists. I'm very, very, VERY glad that this settles down to something non-lilac in the later stages, so I'll certainly be keeping my imp, at the least, and considering whether or not to get a bottle. So far, this is my second favorite Ars Draconis scent.

After trying a couple of things with Dragon's Blood in them -- Blood Amber, Blood Lotus and Dragon's Bone -- I thought I would probably like Dragon's Milk best of all of them and so far, I'm right. Like the others, this stays fairly true on me from the bottle to skin to wearing it for several hours. It has the same fruity, spicy sweet smell that others have described. It smells strongly familiar -- though of what, I don't know -- and it is quickly becoming a "comfort" scent for me, as it feels very warm and safe. I can see myself getting tired of Dragon's Milk, as it's almost achingly sweet, but it has an exotic edge that keeps me coming back. If this were a color, it'd be dusty rose.

Dang. I really thought I would like this one.

It smells really good in the vial. Mostly dragon's blood, but a little sweeter. tasty

On my skin however, it smelled really camphorous. Almost like mothballs. My roommate thought it smelled like incense. I don't think I can wear vanilla. Darn it.

First wiff: This smells like marzipan with a drop of honey, very sweet - this is definetly a candyish scent.

Wet on: Still marzipan now with a flower note. The vanilla is also more prominent, pushing the honey slightly in the background.

Dry down: Very sweet vanilla and incense, this certainly reminds me of the incense that was burned in some of the headshops I used to visit in Rome while I lived there - it makes me a bit "homesick" :P .

Over all: This is an innocent smell if it makes any sense, no bite or edge to it, but very pretty. I may think it is a bit too rounded for my tastes but I bet it would be wonderful with some cinnamon :D .

Sweet, creamy candy is the first impression I get. Cherry-vanilla candy with a touch of lilac (Dragon's Blood smells like fierce lilac to me). The cherry-ish note turns to honey fairly quickly, and I'm reminded of O. This is pretty and sweet and creamy but a bit too candy-ish for me. It smells like a child's perfume--sweet and fun but without depth or complexity.

This scent is a lot sweeter than I first imagined it would be, but at the same time it's not so sickly sweet you can't wear it.

For me this is a 'happy occasions' perfume, it's something light that I might wear on a day trip out to the beach or something.

The Honey scent for me is quite strong & the Dragons blood resin really takes a back seat to a large extent, but it does give the scent depth which is nice.

This one I'd be happy to wear to work.

I have found my bpal signature scent and it is Dragon's Milk!! MyohMyohMy!!! :P

Sweet honey and the most divine vanilla along with my beloved dragon's blood make this the most fantastic and original oil ever..... :D

I also adore how long the scent lingers and how it mellows into a completely sexy and provocative perfume!!!

yay!!! Just so awestruck with Dragon's Milk...yum!!! :D

Nothing really that I can say that hasn't already been said. This is just pure perfection! Cherry-touched vanilla and honey when wet. Sweet, warm and smokey as it dries.

Sweet and milky, with the spicy addition of dragon's blood. The honey really tempers the dragon's blood in this blend, giving it a softness. The vanilla doesn't overpower the blend for me either, as it has a tendancy to do. This blend is soft and creamy, and delectable. :P

I like this one, a lot! :D

Dragon's Milk

in vial: dragon's blood resin and vanilla

wet: floral (?) and vanilla

dry: my first experience with the play-doh smell...I've tried many scents with dbr, vanilla, and/or honey in them and have never had this problem before...this particular combination just doesn't seem to work for me...play-doh all the way until it completely faded away about five hours later

verdict: I may give this one more chance, but this will most likely be sent to the swaps.