Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon’s blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

When I first smelled this in the vial, then applied it, I wasn't too sure about it. It smelled a lot like cherry cough drops. But it's drying down into a really delicious creamy spicy vanilla. It doesn't scream "SEX" the way the DRAGON"S MUSK does, but there is a certain sensuality to it that suggests it. Definitely a keeper for me.

ETA: Everytime I've worn this particular blend, I have gotten a crazy number of compliments. Strangers (both men and women alike) have come up an complimented me on this scent. Wow! I think I might have found my scent.

dragonsmilk.jpg

In the bottle: Whoa. Sweet.

Wet: Almost overwhemlingly sweet from the honey & vanilla & dragon's blood.

Drydown: The dragon's blood calms down and turns softer & more powdery and resiny rather than fruity/floral. The vanilla & honey mixture stay fairly sweet, but turn a bit more creamy with wear. It's very yummy smelling. It's not what I'd consider "foody," but if you're not a fan of the sweeter variety of vanilla blends (like Regan), you should probably give this one a miss.

Hubba hubba. :P

At first this smells like Dorian with cherries, and then it ends up like creamy dragon's blood. The whole thing, start to finish, is exactly what I love.

If you can't stand dragon's blood then obviously this isn't going to work. But I luuuurve it and get every blend I can find that has dragon's blood in it. And that smooth creaminess behind it in Dragon's Milk feels like luxury. I would love to bathe in this.

:D

Am I the only person who smells Easter lilies?

Heh. Oh, well. After about 15 minutes of Easter lilies and Dragons's Blood, I now smell like Dragon's Blood. I guess the vanilla's there? It's just not very predominant on me.

I looooove Dragon's Blood, so this is a keeper. :P

Bottle: OMFG sweet. Cloying. And I just got it all over my shirt. Oh, and it's red. godsdamnit.

Wet: Sweet, with a little after-effect of vanilla..sorta smells like that artificial vanilla shower-gel smell.

Dry: honey and vanilla and f-ing sweetness. Have I already mentioned how much I dislike cloying sweet scents?

Later: gaaaaack...can't wait..Must. Wash. GAH!

:P Yummy! Sweet but not sickingly so. Dragon's blood comes out nicely after a little wear. Definitely a bottle in the future!

Mmmm I LOOOOOVE this!

Warm vanilla, with a hint of cherry...

Almonds, smoke....YUM!

Although after dry down it reminds me of a stronger version of Antique Lace?

I would like this in a 5 ml - but it's not a must have for me.

bottle:

like dragon's blood and vanilla

wet:

yum - this may be my favorite dragon's blood scent… the vanilla really calms it down and gives it a mild spicyness

dry:

gets milder and spicier at the same time? Is that possible? A really lovely blend.

overall:

this surpasses dragon's tears. Love it!

rating: 9/10

Edited by HennaFairy

Bottle: Oooo....I love how thick and syrupy it is. Like blood! :3 Kinda sweet with..a hint of a strange floral? Is that the dragon's blood? Hard to determine.

Wet: Oooooooooooh. I like this. Sweet, kinda light, hint of floral still. The honey smell seems to be coming out a bit more now. And I think I smell the vanilla! Ohh this is nice. :P

Drying: Oh oh oh oh! More sweet! MORE MORE SWEET :D I am loving this. The strange undernote...what are you? Are you dragon's blood? I have never smelled it before, so I'm not sure.

Dry: A mix of strange strange scents. I smell the vanilla and honey, but there's that odd undernote still. Not odd in a bad way.

I think this is a scent meant to be worn in small doses. At least for me.

Dry after 15 minutes: Very sweet now. This is a scent that will be worn in small doses, I think. I like it, but too much may give me a headache.

Edited by RavenVelith

Initial Impression : very very sweet like candy. Wasn't sure if I would be able to wear this one.

On skin : still sweet but not in an overwhelming way. The longer I wore it, the more used to it I got.

In scent locket : FABULOUS!!! This has become my favorite scent locket scent and now has it's very own scent locket! Gives the most wonderful warm, sugary smell when worn in my locket. Body heat, light sweat mixed with sugar sweet to give the most divine blend of yummy sweetness. I will always wear in the scent locket and don't usually wear directly on my skin. Wonderful scent!

sniffing from the imp - fresh, light and softly sweet. Don't really get the full impact of the vanilla until after I try it on.

on the skin - now I can smell the Dragon's Blood quietly lurking in the shadows, but it takes a backseat to the vanilla...which is definitely the predominant note.

after about an hour - the nicest, softest yet most fragrant vanilla scent I've ever worn. I'm not a 'foodie' scent person, but a few years ago my favorite body lotion was Crabtree & Evelyn's Vanilla...I would just wear it as my perfume. This is the closest thing I've smelled to that particular vanilla ever. :P

for as soft and light as this fragrance is, it has remarkable staying power. The second time I tried it, I woke up the next morning smelling quite lovely (probably more so after I'd brushed my teeth :D ) and slightly hungry for waffles with vanilla syrup.

My rating: - a very strong 4/5

amusing anecdote: I received this as a frimp with my very first lab order. In my excitement of trying to decide which frimp I was going to try out first (I get sensory overload if I sniff too many different fragrances in one sitting) I selected this, but for some reason had the description for 'Lust' stuck in my head. I went for about an hour totally puzzled as to why I was smelling a creamy sweet vanilla and not the slightest bit of musk or patchouli. Doh!

On me, this smells exactly like one of those strawberry-vanilla-scented cardboard trees you hang in your car. Artificial, very strong, and very sweet.

Dragon's Milk

In the bottle: Sweet incense.

On me: I get the Easter Lily smell that ladymissspyder noticed. I don't like the smell of them. I guess this one won't work for me. Too bad. I wonder if it is the Dragon's Blood? Since this is my first Dragon scent, I will have to try the others to get a comparison.

Edited by cybra111

This is a beautiful, clean-yet-sweet smell. The dragon's blood is the dominant note on me, with the vanilla becoming more evident during the drydown. BPAL honey often goes wonky on my skin, but here it brings just a bit of warmth to the scent. I think I have received more compliments when wearing Dragon's Milk than with any other BPAL -- it is so right on me. It's definitely on the big-bottle list for my next order.

In the bottle: Vanilla and something else; it must be the dragon's blood.

Wet: Very sharp. I'm not sure I like this.

Dry: Oh, that's better. It's still not a favorite, but it's nice.

Well, I don't think I'm a dragon's blood fan. But Beth has so many other blends that I'm not broken up about it.

Hmm...in the imp, it smells like the sticky, sweet red lollipops my doctor used to hand out.

On, it's still sweet, but with an underlying......spicyness I can't quite name.

5 hours later, it's still faintly sweet, with a mild vanilla-y thing going. I really like it...but need to think about it a bit more before ordering a bottle. :P (I've got 2 outstanding orders already....need to let the CC cool off before using it again.)

In the Imp:Somewhat spicy, flowery and milky. It's fairly gentle in strength, and for some reason smell to me like something for babies.

Wet: Very odd scent. The spicy floral of the DB is barely there and a powdery-honey scent pervades. It is so light as to almost seem not there at all.

Dry: Mostly powder, hardly any of the honey smell is left, but the sweetness lingers a bit. DB is usually a strongish and commanding scent on me, but this just isn't at all. Very weak.

Throw: Nearly nill.

Overall: With a powdery and light overall smell, and just a hint of DB spice and the honey, I'd say this is well suited to use in baby lotions and the like, but hardly something I will be wearing.

Plus, it faded super fast. I've liked all the Ars Draconis blends so far but this one doesn't make the cut, right now...(as i've heard aging it helps alot)

I'm loving this, even with a stuffed up nose. Honey and cream, with a hint of spice from the DB. *happydance*

I am one of those that got hit with a strong floral when they tried this - strong, strong hyacinth or lilac. I kept trying to imagine it as cherry/almond, but no, it was definitely floral. I was so confused that I took out another imp and tried it, but same results. A little over an hour later it morphed and became the cherry/almond so I figured that it had done its floral thing and now we could get on with business - WRONG! Now it's hyacinth again! It has changed back and forth for the past 18 hours. Luckily, the wonderful creamy vanilla notes made an appearance pretty early on so whether it was cherry/almond or hyacinth/lilac, it was combined with the vanilla. I am loving this in both the floral phase and the fruity phase. I think that I'll order a bottle of this, after all, it's sort of fun following the dragon back and forth from the orchard to the flower garden.

This is still going strong on my skin after 18 hours.

Dragon’s Milk - I was really hoping I’d like this blend, as I tend to like both dragon’s blood and vanilla. However, from the first moment I sniffed until long after dry-down, the dragon’s blood was the dominant note, but it was sweetened way too much by the presence of both honey and vanilla. One or the other I could have probably enjoyed, but both together with the dragon’s blood weakened the dragon’s blood scent, and made it seem, well, milky (hence the name, I suppose?) I got the impression that the honey and vanilla were weakening the dragon’s blood the way a glass of milk is weakened when water is added. I passed it along to someone who enjoyed it much more than I.

This is really nice, someone threw it in for free when I ordered some imps. I wouldn't have chosen it on my own but I'm really glad I got to try it. It's a comfort smell for me, and I find myself putting it on at home when I'm about to take a nap or lay down to relax. It's so nice and sweet, I wouldn't really wear it out and about. Always makes me think of condensed milk, then as it dries it softly fades into a sweet coconut summer-y smell. Very nice surprise. First time I've tried anything with dragon's blood so I wasn't able to really distinguish that from the other notes. Maybe I'll try some of the other ars draconis now. : )

edited: Today I noticed that this is a 'barely-there' scent on me. I put on a whole lot and could barely smell it, then it disappeared after an hour or two. I don't know if this is just something weird going on with my skin today or if it will always do this...I'll keep trying!

editing again, because I got a brand new imp of this from the lab and it's much, much stronger than my older decanted imp. Also the newer one is paler and more orange in color, the older one I have is bright red/pink. It's like the older one is just a ghost of the smell of the newer one. It does still remind me of sweet, pale coconut. Maybe the older one was *too* aged, like past its peak.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I can't figure out how to describe this one. It's slightly sweet - maybe a little cherry? Once I'd worn it a few hours, it had a wonderful vanilla scent. It's nice, but not something I'm completely in love with.

rating: 3/5

I am a Dragon’s Blood fan.

Actually, I’m a Dragon fan, too, but I’m trying to keep this scent related. :P

I am not, however, generally a fan of sweet scents, fruity scents, or juniper scents. Still, I thought I should try all the Ars Draconis!

Reading descriptions and reviews, I had ranked Dragon's Milk as ?? (unsure, but willing to try).

I love vanilla scents, but not as a perfume. I just don’t associate those aromas with Me. Well, actually, the aroma of tea latte is very Me, because I am often found holding one! But I think you understand what I mean. So I was pleasantly surprised to love this on me. It will never be a signature scent, but I sure don’t object to it on my skin.

Imp: warm spiced milk

On: tea latte, just the way I like it! I can’t detect the Dragon’s Blood; there is more the memory of something resinous at the very back of the scent. It’s all vanilla, quality spices, and that remarkable underlying creaminess that really does smell like milk. Settles quickly to remain close to the skin, lasting just about all day.

It strikes me as something that would be nice to smell while lying in the sun, so I've got to try it while tanning sometime.

Edited by SultryWolf

Never was on any of my wishlists, in fact I had hardly heard anything about it but when I saw a 10ml of "Dragon's Milk" on eBay for under $10 I snatched it up in hopes of trading or gifting.

Best eBay purchase in a long time. This is such a delicious scent, almost like a richer Alice. Vanilla and flowers show up on me with an almost heated undertone. I'm so glad I have a big bottle of it, I can't think of a nicer scent to lose my 10ml virginity to!

In the imp: This is very true to it's description, I think.

On the wrist: I am not a Dragon's Blood kind of girl, but if I had to wear it, this would be the one I would choose. This scent is mellower and less cloying than the DB I am used to. With a hint of something spicy.

Final Analysis: All in all this is the best Dragon's Blood scent I have ever smelled. Alas, I am still not a fan. Off to the swaps.