Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sugar Skull 2006

Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits.

LOVE! This scent is almost frighteningly heavy in the bottle, but upon application, it melts into a deep, dark sweetness that's strong but not overpowering. It's intoxicating- utterly rich, warm, and delicious. There's maple sugar and brown sugar... mmmm, caramelized.... with just a hint of the fruit mentioned in the Lab's description. The throw is strong and the staying power is excellent. This is the perfect sugar scent for Fall, so warm and cozy for a chilly day!

Yum. I've tried '05 and '06 and they're both so tasty. I'm not good at picking out the exact differences, but I get a "brown sugar" vibe from '05 and more of a "candied fruit" thing from '06. Both are delicious; time will tell which one I end up wearing more often!

I like the more subtle throw of these, too--it means I can enjoy them without worrying that I'm choking everyone around me with sweetness.

Sugar Skull 2006

Having fallen in love with SS05, I was incredibly anxious to try this baby out. The sweetness is much fruiter in this one as opposed to simply hot and sugary, especially right out of the bottle. It's also very sharp on first application. As it dries, it becomes much more palatable, though.

I like the sugar overload much more without the fruits, but I can see this aging into something as delicious as last year's batch.

In the bottle: Brown sugar!

Wet: YUM. This is just sugar, sugar, and more sugar on me.

Drydown: Ooooh, I'm getting a bit of the fruits now. Dear heavens, this is lovely. This is exactly the kind of "foody" scent I love, and I'm probably going to need more of this, too.

While wearing: This is so yummy. It's mostly brown-sugary, with hints of caramel and alchoholic vanilla, with the fruits taking a backseat with my chemistry. I love this. It has a gorgeous, sugary throw on me too - and most BPAL tends to be more "second-skin" on me. But gah, this is lovely. More bottles for me!

Edit!: For some reason, if I put this in my hair and not on my skin, it becomes dead sexy and almost spicy. Rowr. :P

Edited by Christine Daae

2006 version:

Now, I must say, I've tried Sugar Skull '04 and '05, and I'm not one of the ones who was let down by '05; it's a favourite.

However, with that said, I think '06 is even nicer - very similar to how I remember the '04 blend being. '05 was sharper and a little fruitier/boozier, but this is just pure, deep, caramelized sugar, mellow and gorgeous. I wonder if I should get a second bottle...

This is so nice!

Wet: Rich, sweet, sugar--I was a bit wary at first, because I was afraid it would be too heavy.

Dry: Wow, as soon as it hit my skin, it turned into a beautiful, sweet, sugary scent, not too deep, just perfect! At little later, the fruits come out in the background.

This is pretty much how I hoped Cockaigne would smell. This is sweet without smokiness or heaviness. REALLY nice--no aging required for this baby!

It was very sweet in the bottle. Just complete sugar. (hence the name of course)

As it dried down I got the maple syrup and brown sugar. It didn't change much after that. I smelled like I"d been baking all day. Nice but not a perfume for me

Sugar Skull 2006 is very dark and sweet, and the comparison to maple syrup is accurate. It's a strong scent with lots of throw, but I'm just not as crazy about it as I am about lots of other sweet BPAL scents, so I'll be finding a new home for the decant I have.

(2006 version)

In the bottle I smelled a sugary fruit smell, quite light, actually. But, on me, this is LOTS of brown sugar with sweet fruits- very rich and syrupy. I think I smell plum, maybe a little cherry, but as for the rest of the "fruits" I am unsure.

I am very glad this blend exists because some days I really have a sweet tooth scent-wise, and while blends like Xanthe and Kunstkammer and the like are a bit toooo fruitysweetoverload, the smokiness of the brown sugar in this one makes it just right for those days and completely appropriate for "me".

I'm actually contemplating a second bottle of this, which I did not anticipate doing...

2006 version....

straight sniff from imp....yesss!!!

this is my beloved SS04...perfectly thick, ultra seductive and boozy....

yum.....tons of sugar....indeed, SS04 all over again :P

i love this...thankfully, this is still around so i can snag at least 2

bottles..... :D

I have decants of both '05 and '06.

'05 has more of a carmelized sugar type of smell from the imp and going on wet but it dries a bit lighter...perhaps raw sugar, but not as bright as pure white sugar. And it is very faintly fruity in the background. It's like a glazed fruitcake.

'06 is the white sugar scent - it's so sweet I feel like brushing my teeth so I don't get cavities. There's something lurking below that pure cane blast, but it's not fruity to my nose. It's hard to pin down exactly but the scent is all sweet sugar with something a touch more sinister brewing underneath.

:P

2006 blend...

In the imp: I'm not getting fruit at all from this, but rather a thick, sweet but dark scent. I agree, it's reminiscent of maple syrup.

Initial application: it gets a little lighter but not much, and still no fruit.

Drydown: the brown sugar sweetness now has an interesting smoky edge to it. Typical of my weird body chemistry, it smells sweeter on my right wrist than on my left. This is a good autumn scent. On the down side, it has almost no throw on me.

Smiley rating: :P

This was a decant from a circle

Oh, hello there weird skin chemistry and olfaction!

In the imp: I don't know what I smell. Salty? Something astringent maybe, or soapy.

Wet: Aww, I thought this was supposed to be sweet! On me it's burnt, but not even burnt sugar - it's salty.

Dry: I have no idea what this is doing on me. Parmesan? Tape? No, I think it's a light combination of those covered in... barbecue sauce. And salt.

I have no idea what's going on with my skin to cause that, because all these other reviews sound so lovely and I get jealous that I didn't smell that, but Sugar Skull and I didn't get along!

Oops, forgot to add that this is the 2006 version. I have not tried any previous versions.

Edited by copyshopclerk

2006 version

Umm...maple syrup?

Yep, that's maple syrup all right.

Not getting any candied fruits. I must have somehow turned this into burnt sugar. Not my thing, I'm afraid.

I have two bottles of SS I acquired on eBay last winter - no idea of the vintage on either of them, but they are absolutely magnificent - so I was eager to try the newest model too!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. *blissful grin* :P Oh... nosegasm. lol! This is lighter and spicier than the versions I have, with a lot less throw. This is a GOOD thing, as my older SS has a tendency to belt out its presence like the perfume version of Mariah Carey or something - you're great, but damn girl! Keep it down! lol

I don't smell any fruit at all, but rather the same rich pipe tobacco note I smell in my other bottles - is that fruit and smoke, maybe? Whatever it is, it's fantastic.

If you liked the first two, you'll like this one too. I had only planned a one bottle order this month but once again the Labbies will be parting me from my cash. :D

I didn't love the '05 version. It just was too boozy or something, and the fruitiness went all wrong. This new one for '06 is really great though. It goes on very spicy on me, with caramelized sugar and a hint of good-fruitiness. The fruit was sour on me in the '05. I also had a funny experience with this. Three co-workers all decided it smelled like something extremely familiar, and took turns sniffing me and contemplating my Sugar Skull-ness. One girl thought it maybe was apple pie I smelt of, and the other two disagreed. Anyway, this has major throw- they were across a counter from me smelling me! But I truly love the thick caramel smell of this, it's gooey and awesome. Strong, though. I think an imp will be key to proper application- I upended the imp on the wrist rather than just using the wand- hate to see how strong it would be out of the bottle. Anyway, definitely gonna get a bottle or two of this, it's gorgeous.

5 out of 5. (I did really well with the Halloweenie scents!! Almost all worked!!)

In the vial: sugar and cinnamon toast. Yum!

On the skin: This is pretty heavy on the cinnamon and clove for me. I get an undertone of sugar... not really anything fruity. It smells delicious, like fresh cinnamon and sugar toast from the oven! A bit spicy warm, too. Great for the cold weather we're having.

I'd have never tried this if eml298 hadn't been so kind! She's got me hooked now! :P

In the bottle: This is the sweetness of sugar and caramel.

Wet: This is sugary in a perfume-like way. It is beyond sweet, but has undertones that remind me of brown sugar and caramel.

Drying down: It almost takes on a touch of spice, though it is still very foody. Thankfully, this is not the buttery sort of foody. Neither my husband nor I are fond of scents that are too buttery.

Dry: Sugar Skull 2006 is still the kind of sticky sweet that makes me salivate. It has a perfumey undertone, but it doesn't take away from the effect of the scent.

Later: This is the kind of sweet that follows me around and makes me feel hungry even if I have just eaten. I like it well enough, but if I wear it too much, I will start craving meringues...

August 2006 Version

in the bottle: sweet, burnt sugar, carmael/butterscotch candy with just a little splash of something fruity.

wet: THe sugar is less thick and condensed, a bit more perfumey, and just about as sweet. The fruit is hardly noticble, but there is just enough to give something of a tang.

dry: sticky, sweet, and syrupy. This is a pretty heavy syrup like I'd want on my waffles, but not a maple syrup, a sugary, fruity one.

overall impression: This is yummy, and sweet. But it's a little too gooey for me. While I love sweet and foody scents, something in this is just a little too sweet to be really wearable for me, though it does smell very nice :P

Sugar Skull 2006 - This is my favorite so far of the three years of Sugar Skull (I despised '05 with a passion!). 2006 is uber-sweet like the others, but not nauseatingly so. This one reminds me more of really sticky maple syrup. It’s definitely sweeter and foodier than I usually like in a scent, but I actually like this one. The sad part is that after about 20-30 minutes on my skin, it starts to take on a very strong plastic quality, although that facet of the scent is only discernible when sniffed up close. The scent is very strong when first applied, but fades dramatically upon drydown and disappears completely within 90 minutes.

I had such high hopes when I saw the initial "white sugar" reviews, but as I was waiting for my order to come in the rest of the reviews loomed ominously. And they were right in my case. It's maple syrup, caramelized brown sugar- but someone left the heat on too long. Burnt syrup and sugar, with off and on wafts of plastic.

*sobs*

'06 Version

I too got a plastic note with this one. Plastic with candied fruit.

Not my style so I swapped it for hopefully something more suited to my skin chemistry.

Yeah! Sugar skull 06!

In the bottle: DEAR LORD! This is the so heavy! I actually backed away. I smell molasses, molasses and more molasses with a slight sugar undertone.

On my skin: MMM, this smells very festive. I get a spicy note (maybe thats the candied fruit?) with sugared molasses. It calms down thank goodness to something very comforthing. So far, I have not gotten any placticy notes.

This dries to a lovely winter scent for me. :P