Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Well this had fruits and sugar notes, both of which are iffy (although some scents seem to be okay) and this went sour and cloying sweet on my skin sadly. This would have been a nice scent otherwise. If you like sugar blends and fruits play nicely on your skin you give this a shot!

This review is for the 2015 version!

Powdered sugar covered candied fruits. The fruits are a lot stronger than the sugar, but I can't really pick out any specific fruits in this blend. I like it, but I don't think I'll be upgrading this. Weird since there's fruits and sugar in this, but it's not as sweet as I was hoping!

Was digging through my boxen and did a random pull this AM--got a blue-glass original 2004 partial bottle of this on eBay a zillion years ago.  It is GORGEOUS now.  In the bottle:  Sweet, sweet sugar, a sort of mix of white and brown sugars fresh from the grocery store.  On, wet:  After all these years, this one is still bottle-tight and needs room to breathe!  Bursts open and then goes into a gentler unfold of the candied fruits and something of a darker sugar/jaggery note (but NOT molasses).  Drydown:  After a few hours, this settles into a really really complex  mosaic of the candied fruits, which pop out like glitter, and the sugar types, with a hint of some kind of spice and the tiniest touch of frosting-like creaminess.  So glad I got this one and re-discovered it!

Sugar Skull 2021

This year's Sugar Skull smells very different to me, it smells darker, and I am really undecided on whether there has been a complete reformulation this year.  I have several decants of Sugar Skull from years past and this ain't it.  It still smells sugary with fruit, and I'm going to take a guess that I could be smelling blackcurrant?  I got out my decant of Blackcurrant Pie to compare them side-by-side and I think I could be onto something.  "Darker" is really the only word I can think of.  It's like something brighter is missing this year.

I've been putting off getting a 5ml of Sugar Skull for quite a few years, so I have to admit I was disappointed in this.  It's not actually a bad scent, it's just really not what I was expecting.  Luckily I found a 2015 bottle in a forum sale and it is the Sugar Skull I know and love (they seem to have slight variations over the years but in my opinion have always been basically the same scent - until this year).  I believe that some people will really like this year's version and I'm curious to read more reviews!  I wonder if it's a skin chemistry thing? 

Edit: 2 yrs of aging has done a lot of good for this scent, it's a lot closer to what I thought of as Sugar Skull and I no longer feel like I could have got a mislabeled bottle.  It's lighter than what I'm used to from SS but I do like it more than I did when it was new. 

Edited by forspecial_plate

Sugar Skull 2020: more or less as expected based on listed notes. A mix of dark, syrupy sugars that smell almost honeyed with a bit of something fruity and a tiny hint of spice.

Sugar Skull 2021: smells like the dead leaves accord - vegetal, almost green peppery. honestly wondering if I got a mislabled decant. (eta: after conferring with some other BPALers, I think I may have received a decant of Dead Leaves on House Plants that was mislabeled)

Edited by a_bear

Haven't opened my Sugar Skull 2021 yet,  but I reached for 2020 today after doing some box reorganization.  Add me to the list of folks who are wondering if the formulation is being gradually tweaked.  See my review above for my ancient bottle of 2004.  This is a totally different thing; a lot darker and deeper.  In the bottle:  Molasses and sweet, fruity tobacco, almost like the flavored/cherry tobaccos that they sell in old-timey tobacco shops (NOT the modern artificial crappy ones or vape juice).  On, wet:  Brown sugars and almost burnt sugar, like deep caramel, and with that lingering note of a freshly opened package of fruity tobacco.  Also almost getting a hint of maple sugar.  Drydown: Yep, still sticky pipe tobacco, caramel, and molasses.  Not what I was expecting but I like it!

Got the 2020 vintage today and it’s fall in a bottle. Browned sugar, light spice, maple maybe, it’s so good. Good throw and wear length. 🎃💕

2015 version: In the bottle it honestly smells like rum - very boozy! On my skin the booziness fades into a richly caramelized sweetness. Not getting any fruit really, more like a dark red backdrop for dark toasty sugars. I don't mind it at all!

2023. My first experience with Sugar Skull in the 2023 version. All these years of bpal’ing and I never picked it up, so here we are!

This is not even remotely what I expected. It’s definitely candied fruit, but nothing overly sweet, more dark and dried/floral fruit. The sugars are more complex than I expected too. Nothing is just ‘white sugar, sweet.’ There’s a caramelized edge to it.

It smells like an aura of someone or somewhere quite foreign. I almost expected this to be like a candle or a generic sweet smell but it’s not at all. There’s something mature and maybe even perfumey about it. 

I am shocked at how much I love this!

Edited by Bassmastadroog
Autocorrect

2023 - This year's Sugar Skull reminds me of pastel fruity marshmallows.  It's light and fluffy, somewhat like past versions but lighter and more fleeting on my skin.  I compared it to the 2007 version and that one has a presence of scorched sugar + incense that is not in this year's scent.  

I like this.  I think we moved back closer to the past years but it's also kind of updated.  This one seems more "safe for work" but carries on the spirit of the older ones.  I feel like it's a reformulation rather than an aging thing.  Sugar Skull is one of my favorite bpal scents and I love smelling all the different variations year after year.  ❤️