Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sugar Skull 05

Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits.

I was so happy Sugar Skull was coming back after getting to sniff (but not try) 2004's version and wishing I'd been able to get a bottle.

In the bottle and wet, Sugar Skull mostly smells like boozy maple syrup on me, with an undertone of burnt/brown sugar -- the undertone being the part I wish were prominent.

As it dries, it warms up, and on my skin smells quite good -- a blend of sugars and a bit of fruitiness and spice, a lot like a holiday candle. I'm not sure I want to smell like this, but it certainly warms up well on me. It also reminds me a lot of Hearth, which was so strongly sweet and fruity that I had to wash it off after an hour.

But after a few hours, Sugar Skull goes really sour on me -- it honestly smells a little like vomit, or at least something fermenting. I had to check it a second time to make sure it was the scent and not something else I'd sat near to make it smell that way, and no, it was the perfume. It's OK as I was on the fence about it from the beginning, but I have to say I am disappointed. I wish I could try the 2004. :(

Edited by Shollin

I really can't decide whether I love this or to send it to the swap pile.

In the bottle: Maple syrup. It's a great fall scent, one that I think would work especially well layered with a spicy fragrance. Different, but not bad.

On me: Exactly the same as it is in the bottle, except that I'm getting a little more fruit under the sugar. Still overwhelmingly maple syrup, but a coworker swears she can smell a tobacco note, too. I can't, but it'd be nice.

Verdict: Probably going to sell or swap it. It's not that I have a strong dislike for it, it's just not something I can see myself wearing often enough to warrant owning a 5mL bottle.

Mmmcaramel. Kind of a burnt-sugar edge to it, but in a creme brulee kind of way. On the drydown I started to smell sugared fruit, but I was testing it very lightly. This seems like a great oil to try blending with. Also, I let a friend of mine smell the bottle, and it was like watching a cat on catnip. Hee.

Yummy!

Brown sugar, honey, sticky maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Wet this smells like maple syrup, but as it dries, the rich spices really come out.

I also detect a slightly boozy note in this, like a sweet bourbon or dark sugar-cane rum.

This is fun, festive, autumn scent!

Sugar Skull '05

Origin:

Imp from my imp pimp, Diana. :P

Preconceived notions:

I didn't order Sugar Skull when it returned this year because I still have 2 bottles from last year and couldn't see myself using or needing more since it was more of a nostalgia scent than an everyday wear scent, but then the reviews started calling it boozy and sugary, which sounded good. I was still waffling over ordering a bottle or two when Diana forced me to take a decant of hers (she really had to twist my arm :D ), so I'm excited to get to try it and find out if I like it enough to order a bottle. :D

First sniff:

Mmm, Diana was right, this does have a sort of whiskey scent to it. Last year's smelled like rum rolls to me (confectioner's sugar, butter and rum flavoring). This year's smells like whiskey sugar syrup with just a touch of some sort of fruit. :D

Wet on skin:

Wow, holy quick change, Batman! On me, Sugar Skull '05 suddenly loses all of its syrupiness and turns into a genuine sugar skull scent. Sort of a light sugar scent with just a hint of vague fruitiness to it. I like this, too, in spite of my hatred of foody scents (and, most of the time, sweet scents), but I prefer the scent in the bottle. I'm hoping it changes back as it dries.

Dry down:

Dry, Sugar Skull '05 strikes a balance between the bottle and wet stages and manages to capture the best of both. It's lighter than in the bottle, less intensely syrupy, but with the same whiskey-like booziness. This is wonderful!

The bottom line:

Color me surprised. I didn't expect to like this more than last year's, or to need more, but I'll be ordering a couple of bottles. This is a winner!

Let the record show: You can never guess with BPAL.

When my Samhain order came in, I skin tested Samhain and Dia de Los Muertos first, thinking that both of those would be the "problem" scents. I was particularly disappointed with the reviews of this year's DDLM, because I had been looking forward to cocoa and candles and tobacco, and I'd read that thie year was more floral. I only sniffed sugar skull out of the bottle, got a butterscotch-y, rum-y sweetness (very much like Grog, but browned and slightly burned) and figured I had a no-brainer winner. No need to "test"- I'd just start wearing it in regular rotation.

I finally got to wearing Sugar skull. Sniffed it again out of the bottle, all is well in the world.

Then I get it on my skin, and this very strong hazelnut coffee note comes out. I kid you not. Hazelnut coffee. Like Gluttony. Very much like gluttony.

Sugar skull is sweet, and dark, and I can see where people get the maple syrup note, but I cannot ignore that gluttony-esque bloom. I'm going to swap both of my bottles, hopefully to someone who liked grog AND Gluttony.

It's not a "bad blend" at all. I would have loved it, I WANTED to love it. I just have this thing with flavored coffee smells.

Balls.

Oh, and DDLM? The one I was worried about? I love it, love it, love it. See? You NEVER know :P

Sugar Skull was calling my name with all of the reviews of "maple syrup" and butter rum.. unfortunately it really doesn't seem to like me. I couldnt' put my finger on what it smelled like when my bottle arrived.. so I shoved it under my husbands nose. He said "eeewww.. it smells like Port Wine.. get it away!!!" -- my bottle is so boozy that it almost upsets my stomach. I don't get much sugar sweetness at all when its on my skin.. but for some reason I find myself wearing it even though I'm not fond of it. I'm glad I didn't buy two bottles, but I'm keeping my one - especially because the label is so gorgeous!!

Sugar Skull 2005

Wow, straight out of the bottle this smells like Butterscotch Schnapps. There is something in the blend that reminds me of Gluttony---not so much a nut note (that does *not* sound right!) but a wine note that I also detected in Gluttony (and disliked).

On my skin, this does get closer to SS '04, becoming more of a rich carmelized sugar. The booze factor is dimmed and it becomes more mellow. Overall though, I prefer the 2004 version, even though it did have a sweet sawdust vibe to it. I kind of liked the sawdust smell! What can I say, I'm from the Pacific Northwest. :P

In the bottle

Warm aged maple syrup. We have a lot of sugar skulls during that time of year in my neck of the woods. :P

On

I smell some candied fruits. Exactly like moist plum dates.

30 minutes

This dries to an almost espresso smell or a burnt sugar smell now. It turns a little bitter.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Foody/resin

Summary

The wet phase of this 2004 blend is when Sugar skull is best. It smells so warm and carmelized sugary and alot like maple syrup. This 2004 wet stage is the best as it gets in my opinion in both 2004 and 2005 and all phases therein.

Purchase again?

No

1-5 rating (5 being best)

In the bottle

An almost pickled maple syrup, compratively speaking.

On

More boozy. And almost sour, but only sour comparitvely. I wouldn't notice it otherwise. I smell a bit of an herbiness way in the back.

30 minutes

This is drying down much nicer in a fruitier way than the 2004 blend. The boozy scent helps the dried fruitiness have something to hold on to.

The spice that is in here is nice whatever it is, this 2005 blend smells more authentic.

Throw:

more than average (more than 2004)

Scent category:

Foody/resin/fruity/boozy

Summary

The dry phase of this is the best part of the Sugar Skull 2005 blend. Initially almost sour with the whiskey, brandy or rum scent but eventually it mellows and helps the fruit to hold it's ground and not become as muddy burnt sugar quality as the dried down 2004 blend.

Purchase again?

Maybe.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

I was really expecting not to like this. I haven't not met a food scent I like.

This little imp proved me wrong

In the imp, it was warm maple sugar with a touch of booze.

I LOVE the smell of maple sugar, and hey, who doesn't like booze??

On my skin, its maple, booze, and spices. The candied fruits show up, but its like the fruit has been soaked in booze, candied, then coated in maple sugar. It has great throw and I'm in love with it

I'm wondering if this is going to convert me to a foody??

Edited to Add: I accidently put too much on before dance and got "Someone smells like Gingerbread"

and my teacher said "Did someone light Christmas candles??"

Edited by SeaMonkey

In the bottle: Maple surple, so much so that I'm afraid to put it on for fear that my hands will wind up sticky and gross.

Wet on skin: Still maple syrup, with a hint of booze. I'm not getting any of the other sugars or the fruits I was praying for.

Dry on skin: Still that damn maple surple, with a tiny booze hint. It's all I can smell too. like I've been snorting Canadian maple candy off of a drunken hooker's rack. I really really don't care for this, which is a shame since I was all het up about it. I'm sure someone with more of a sweet tooth than me will love it though.

Sugar Skull was the the Halloween LE I was most excited about. . . I guess I shouldn't have such high expectations because I never know what will and what won't agree with my body chemistry. (For the record though, I love Midway and hate Gluttony.)

In the bottle, Sugar Skull is delicious--sweet and boozy. Once it dries on me though, all of the sweetness disappears and I'm left with something redolent of. . . Worcestershire sauce mixed with really dark, fermented soy sauce. So much for the sugar--it's fermented and kind of salty! Which is not what I was going for. Looks like I'll be making a swap pile.

Candy corn.

I do like candy corn, so that's not an insult really. It's just...well, it smells like candy corn and not much else on me. It makes me want to eat some.

Edited to add: I tried the 2004 version. Sounds like the new one is different.

Edited by lady_pandora

Sugar Skull 2005

Wet - like the other Halloween blends, this smells a bit different from last year's version. This is darker, more maple and less carmelized sugar, at least when wet.

Dry - As it dries is smells more like the Sugar Skull I know and love. Dark, carmelized sugar. I still love this, although I think last year's version smells a tiny bit better when wet.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Edited by wickedgoddess

2004 Version

Initially, the 2004 version strikes me as more maple on first application, but as it dries, I get a lot more fruit than I did in the 2005 version.

This also has the burnt sugar overtone I liked in the 2005 version, but 2004 is more syrupy sweet on me. I do like both, though, and after the drydown, they're quite similar.

In The Bottle: A dark, rich boozy sweetness. I could get drunk just from sniffing!

Wet On Skin: Ah here is the maple that everyone has mentioned! On me it's a tangy maple. I get a hint of plastic that Misk U and Midway did on me too. This does not please me as I had such high expectations for Sugar Skull! :P

On The Drydown: Still mapley and not as much plastic! :D I don't know if I am having scent flashbacks, but I get a hint of coffee. Also I am getting notes of something nutty.

Overall: This scent kepy morphing on me from good to bad to yum!

In the bottle: Sweet. Very sweet. With something....not sure what.

Wet: Very sugar-y/caramel-y booze. Like a not-very-apricot brandy kinda smell. Or a subtle whiskey smell. But very sweet.

Drydown: Nice! Slightly smoke-y sweet. Have I mentioned this is really sweet?

Later: Still sweet, not as boozey. Still a little smokey. Burnt sugar with sugar on top maybe? Nice if you like sweet. Jury is still out for me.

Not a bad scent. I don't normally do very sweet stuff, and I am not a big foody. But this is a very adult candy kinda scent. I have one bottle - that's enough. I may just take an imp and swap the rest.

This is pretty much maple syrup on me, with that burnt-sugar quality, and an almost boozy undertone.

There's nothing objectively wrong with it, I just don't like it. I wish I could be more specific. It's not gross or unpleasant, it doesn't make me ill, it doesn't react strangely with my skin. It just not a scent I enjoy wearing.

Weird. Anyway, it was swapped away, and hopefully it will get the love it deserves.

In the imp: Very sweet and somewhat buttery, not pleasant.

On me: The sweetness is less assaulting but still very sickening. I don't mind smelling sugar while I'm baking, but this is overkill and annoys my nose too much.

Overall: Not me, another scent too much like gluttony where I get the dried baby urine scent. It is going away immediately.

This is a boozy, dark maple syrup. On my skin, it is less sweet and gives a maple syrup mixed with perfume kind of vibe. I was hoping for more understated sweetness. It amps up ALOT on my skin. I actually tried to wash some of it off this morning.

Currently, I am unsure whether this is a keeper or not. I want to love it...as I want to love all my BPAL, but this one might just defeat my resolve. I might just stick with AL-Azif for my maple cravings.

This one smells like burnt sugar,mmm.At first,I thought I smelled a touch of cinnamon,but then it was gone.Very rich and buttery,a touch mapley.This is very long lasting.Eventually it faded a little,it smelled a little bit like Samhain,I could smell the honey.This is the only one that has not morphed on my skin.It stayed the same rich,sticky,sugary candy for my skin.Very familiar..it smells like the Creme Brulee I used to wear.

Whew! Very, very boozy! Rum with a rum chaser.

On me, it was all booze, all the time. Like the smell of a bar right after closing. I tend to like foody and sweet scents, and would have sworn they couldn't get too foody or too sweet for me. Sugar Skull proved me wrong. I never got any of the fruit I was so hoping for, alas.

SUGAR SKULL '05

Description: Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits.

In the vial: Sharp and bitter, with a liquory undertone.

On my neck: Acrid. I'm definitely getting the burnt sugar notes that someone mentioned, but nothing sweet or syrupy at all.

Later: Some sugar is rising to the surface, but there is something in here that's aggravating my allergies. Suddenly my nose is running. I do pick up the "hazelnut coffee" note that Couscous mentioned.

Final thoughts: Four hours later, it's all just burnt sugar, hazelnut coffee and liquor. Sixteen hours later, what's left is the scent of black pepper and cat pee.

Absolument pas supportable!

Blast. In the bottle, yummy caramelized sugar with a hint of booze and fruits, as promised.

On the skin, it rapidly sweetens up....into....a dupe of Samhain?

OK, Samhain is my favorite scent, but I'm starting to seriously wonder how it's SUPPOSED to smell, if this resembles it. There's lot of sweetness, and some apple, and damn. I guess Samhain on me must just be sugar and apples, no leaves or patchouli or anything. Now I feel like a dork.

Back to Sugar Skull, it's got a bit of burnt-sugar scent that distinguishes it from Samhain, but only if I'm looking for it. This is so weird. I guess I'll swap it, since I don't really need two versions of the same scent (and I've stockpiled Samhain), but I am still feeling very confused. :P

I have a love-hate relationship with my Sugar Skull 2005. I haven't reviewed it until now, because my opinion keeps changing.

When it is wet, and with the initial drydown, it is so overwhelmingly boozey, I am afraid people will think I am drinking! But it also has sort of a warm, seductive, addictive quality, and I keep putting it on, even if I had intended to wear something else. After a few hours, it smells like sweet, carmelized sugar. It seems to go well with my chemistry. At that point I really like it, but that phase only lasts about 30 minutes, so I reapply, and smell like booze again. Hmmm... not sure what to do!