Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Harlot

Based on a Romany incense blend reputed to induce sexual dreams: Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon.

Oh, wow. A rose that doesn't give me an insta-headache. Actually, I really, really like this. It smells like pure, lush red roses (sans greenery) and the spicy warmness of cinnamon. The cinnamon definitely tones down the floral aspect of the rose, and makes it super sexy and not old-ladyish at all. It's not in-your-face, which I love. It just sort of floats around the spot where I tested. After a while, it definitely smells like this rose incense I have.

My first BPAL forum review!

This was a frimp I got with an order. It's 95 degrees out & smelled a few & this is the decided to test.

In the imp: holy cow, what IS this amazing fragrance? Roses & a "skin scent" couldn't readily place.

Wet: omg - nothing but pure cinnamon! It's burning me! (does this mean am allergic to cinnamon? I slathered too. Good lord, what have I done? Kids asking me why my chest is all red. Lol.

Dry down: oh wow, the cinnamon has taken a back seat to the beautiful roses, yet is keeping them n check. I smell amazing!!!

Dry: yum. Mostly roses with some cinnamon lingering in the background. Delicious!

Verdict: aside from the horrific burning on first application, this is seriously beautiful & alluring. Love it!

I received this as a frimp in my recent Etsy order from the lab and since we've seen a lot of DCs in the GC I have vowed to pay more attention to them. I have probably received this particular imp 4-5 times as the name is not new to me. I guess I never tried it before as I associate the scent of Harlot to be one I would never want to wear. This, however, is a great NON-soapy rose scent and the cinnamon hits it out of the park. I mean, really, I enjoy this scent which is saying a lot as I typically loathe rose. It's romantic, spicy, and sexy. I think I'll need to pick up a bottle in my next order!

I love roses. I love cinnamon. Roses are iffy, but cinnamon's a winner. Let's see what's up!

Imp: Oh man. Soft, sweet Ceylon cinnamon and a heady, womanly rose-- the real deal, huge and pink and white and blooming in a garden somewhere in the early morning sun. Gaaaaah. I will use this in my hair, on my sheets, as a room scent if it doesn't work on my skin.

Wet: Dusty, powdery cinnamon, and up close, soapy rose. From a little further away I get something approximating that huge perfect bloom but it's not quite as glorious as it was in the imp. It's soft and clean-smelling and, weirdly considering how diva-ish these notes can be, not very strong. It's a very natural smell, it doesn't scream perfume (again, weird considering components!) It's just how I wish I smelled normally. It is kind of an odd time for me hormonally, since Shark Week starts tomorrow, so maybe that's affecting the throw and my ability to smell it from a distance? It's hard not to be cheered up and comforted by this, though, as faint as it is.

Dry: Cinnamon and roses are two of my favorite scents, and even as faint as this is, I want to roll around in VATS of it. The rose is not overpoweringly perfume-y and the cinnamon is that perfect, dusty bazaar-incense cinnamon rather than a baking cinnamon. Perfect for days when I don't want to be like "HEY I'M WEARING PERFUME" and also perfect for scenting shampoos and sheets and rooms and towels and.... gaaaahh. I'll wait until I empty the imp but I bet this will end up being a 5mL purchase for me.

I'm really surprised that no one else seems to be getting an overpowering cinnamon scent but me. Maybe my skin really amps cinnamon? I've tried wearing Harlot twice and each time, all I can smell is very strong cinnamon. Even after wearing it a while that's still all I smell. I never get any rose :( Too bad!

In the imp, roses are definitely the dominant scent in this one, although I could also smell a hint of the spiciness of cinnamon.

On my skin, this was strongly floral/rosy for an hour or so, again with a hint of cinnamon and then it settled down into a more balanced scent, with the cinnamon coming forward to sit alongside the rose. Six hours later, I can still smell this if I put my nose to my wrist, although it has faded a lot. But the roses and the cinnamon are both still there. I love this scent, I'll be wearing it for the next few days and will probably end up buying a bottle.

-Floral, spicy, warm, sexy.

Edited: I actually tried layering this with Sugar Skull 2012 (which smells like brown sugar and dark rum on me, idk) and it was AMAZING. Sweet and spicy and dark and floral.

Edited by dandelionghosts

A pity. I love cinnamon, but I'm not a huge fan of roses. I recieved this imp free from the lab and decided to give it a try because I was so surprisingly thrilled with Whip and hoped the cinnamon note would soften the rose like the leather does in Whip.

Sadly, Harlot is all rose, all the time on my skin. Pretty enough, but as a non-rose fan, it's not for me. Nice to try it though.

In the Imp (ITI): Wet rose, spicy cinnamon candy, and something that reminds me of civet just a little.

Wet: Yep, there still is a civet quality just underneath the red, flowering roses. The cinnamon rests as an undertone on my skin while wet, which is surprising as I thought cinnamon should be dominant.

Dry: Once dry, the scent smells like a bouquet of red roses with the faintest impression of cinnamon.

Edited by mymymai

I have this rather perverse :twisted:nature I enjoy trying fragrances that have provocative names so when I saw that bpal had a scent called harlot I really wanted to try it. part of it is that it is always funny when someone asks what is the perfume you are wearing and you answer " harlot" or " embalming fluid".:lol:

A lot of times before looking to see what is actually in the blend I'd tried to imagine what I would put together for perfume called harlot. For me this would've had skin musk in it, and probably tobacco, some type of wine or bourbon scent, not sure what all else as I don't have access to Beth'S vast array of fragrances.

Roses and cinnamon I was not expecting, just doesn't make me think of harlot. In the imp this is rose and and then some more roses and then there might also be roses in it. O wait! I think, yes, yes there are definitely roses here. I don't know if my sense of smell is just exceptionally attuned to roses fragrance or if my skin just amps it's to crazy levels or both but if there is the slightest hint of rose in a perfume it will come up very strong for me.

I once had a rose garden with 20 different rose bushs. Each type of rosebush had an actual different rose fragrance which really astounded me. One rose had a very spicy scent, and other and almost fruity scent, another had a more traditional rose scent but it also had a slight herbal tang to it. None of them really gave my allergies much trouble.

Rose perfumes however have always been somewhat difficult. Most of the stuff you buy in stores comes out as sickening potpourri rose on me, and because of that I have only recently started attempting rose fragrances through the lab simply because I have learned to trust that Beth :bow: somehow has a magic touch. Fragrances that I would normally wear and it would drive skunks away she can somehow do something with them that they turn out rather nice instead.

Like I said harlot applied is a whole lot of rose. I can differentiate there are at least two different types of rose going on my skin, thankfully neither have gone old lady, potpourri, or rotted smelling on me. It is simply a very strong floral rose blend rather like being in my garden but only being around the more traditional roses instead of say the tea roses or the hybrids. They were often the ones that smelled fruity or spicy there is none of that here.

I get no cinnamon from this at all not even after a good hours worth of dry down. The rose fragrance is enjoyable, it's not something I would not wear, it just seems very much like a single note. Thankfully it has not turned powdery or soapy but maintain a steady soft floral throw. I could very much see blending this with a number of other fragrances and in coming out quite spectacularly.

Probably not something I would ever wear just on its own, I'm old enough to have the memories of sitting in church surrounded by a little old ladies wearing stale rose toilet water and it just leaves me with an impression of boredom and nervousness. Mental associations, what can you do?-_-

However if a bottle of this ever fell into my lap I certainly would not turn my nose up at it as it has many possibilities of things it can be added to and enhance.

I'm really surprised by how subtle this is! Upon first application, I get roses, but not overpoweringly so. Then the cinnamon comes in, but that's not in-my-face, either! There's not much throw, and it's more of a skin scent - it's just a hint of spiced roses above the back of my wrist. Very elegant and nice. :smilenod:

Edited by vthesiren

I really want to like this. Something about it is very cloying. After dry down it gets much better and more wearable but it takes awhile to get there.

It starts off with Rose. Lots and lots of Rose. To me it's just too much at this stage. I also think I am picking up on maybe some orange blossom too with a wee bit of cinnamon.

After dry down (several minutes after dry down) it's still rose but it calms down so much. The cinnamon is still there along with an herbal type of scent behind all of it. It's nicer at the stage.

Rose and I don't get on well. Sure...there are exceptions (like Whip) but for the most part, I'm not a fan of the roses. Having just so much rose at the start was overwhelming and I felt that this scent was just too strong, too in your face and too cloying.

Swap pile for me. BUT if you LOVE roses, can't get enough roses and are looking for a long wearing rose...this is it.

Harlot was a freebie in my order, thanks BPAL!

In the imp: smells of purely dried roses. Akin to crumpling wilted roses in my hand.

Wet on skin: slightly powdery roses with faint whiffs of cinnamon. Not attention-grabbing bakery cinnamon, but enough to warm up the scent. I'm fortunate my chemistry doesn't turn this blend into red-hots so far.

Dry: as it dries, it shifts into a more sophisticated rose perfume. Which to my nose, is different from a potpourri or an old lady floral. Still a tad powdery for my tastes, though. In connection with its name, I imagine a professional, strong-willed harlot. Similar to Red Harrington from the movie: The Lone Ranger (if that makes any sense). I certainly walk a little taller when I'm wearing it.

Conclusion: I like this scent and I'm keeping the imp. It'd be good for days I need a self-esteem boost. I just wish it gave more semblance to a fresh rose and less powdery. The staying power was light, also. For the most part, I will stick to using my beloved bottle of Lilith, which contains the wine+rose+myrrh note my nose craves.

In the imp: Much cinnamon, so rose. Wow.

Wet: Red roses and cinnamon. The roses reign, but the cinnamon seems to be getting stronger the longer this sits on my skin. This is not a sweet cinnamon note.

Dry: The cinnamon is more prominent than it was in the wet stage. The roses are still present, but I get more cinnamon on my skin.

Verdict: I like cinnamon, and I like roses, but I am not sure about the two being paired together. This one is okay, but I don't see myself reaching for it over some other rose scents.

This was one of the scents that broke my heart. It is like a bad relationship you can't stop trying to make work. I have swapped for this multiple times though the years, hoping that maybe this time it will be awesome.... but alas I think I may have finally learned my lesson.

This is everything I look for in a scent- roses are one of my favorite notes by far, and I just LOVE cinnamon and spices in any form, so add them together, and it sounds like a match made in heaven. I was looking forward to a lush, juicy rose, spiced up with some serious cinnamony heat (LOVE!). But no. I get almost no cinnamon from this blend, and the roses just turn dusty and powdery on me. So disappointed in this one.

Edited by mystery213

In the imp: Rose and violet?

Wet: Same

Dry: Initially, just a sweet floral, not much changed but it isn't quite as sharp. Something powdery comes out too, I'm still getting just the slightest hint of violet, I know there's none in here so I guess the cinnamon and one of the roses must just be blended so as to give the impression. The final result is a gorgeous blend of roses and the cinnamon is definitely there, but not recognisably so, it's the "something" that knits it all together.

Wet: Sweet overpowering rose.

Dry: Soapy rose and cinnamon. Interesting, but there are other rose blends I love more. Though something about this makes me keep sniffing and sniffing at my arm where I tested...if I'm not careful, before I know it I'll be ordering a bottle....

Edited to rave a little more.

Harlot is MAGIC. Roses & Cinnamon are a fabulous combination. Roses are related to apples, and there is a tart, fruity note in Harlot that confused me at first. Then I recognized rose hips! Swoon! This is totally my jam.

This is sweet, fruity roses, with spicy cinnamon. I've gotten a lot of compliments while wearing it, it's definitely in my Top Ten.

Foody sidebar: My teen son compares Harlot to cinnamon jelly bellies, and complains that hugging me while I'm wearing it makes him crave cinnamon jelly bellies.

Edited by Teamama

Smells like a strong and sharp rose tea. Very warm.
Once applied on the skin, there's a soapiness. Not a nasty or distorting one, a clean one.
Not for me, but I see why so many people LOVE this! :)

I love rose, but I definitely need a weighty anchor with it as Harlot is there and then immeditely poof! gone into the ether. I agree with the soapiness, I smell like I've used rose soap but hours afterward.

On me Harot is quite subtle and I'm not sure how I feel about that - I think I was hoping for something a little more bold. That being said, it is lovely.

In the imp it is pure cinnamon. Once on the cinnamon calms down a bit and the rose emerges, but it is a soft, almost fruity rose that melds with the cinnamon in a very quiet way. The rose is very subdued, - perhaps a little too subdued for my taste (keep in mind - I like strong citrus scents and I LOVE rose). It was also a rather faint scent on me, even after I slathered some more on after about 15 minutes.

However. That being said, the joopman liked it immediately - he walked in the room and said, mmm, you smell good, is that peaches? Which is funny because the combination of cinnamon and slightly fruity rose does smell a bit like a fruit cobbler! So I the imp is a keeper and I will wear Harlot when I want something nice but not too intrusive. It is funny, given the connotations of the name, but I think Harlot would be a good work scent.

Edited by joopjoop

On me, Harlot is powdery rose and cinnamon and...for some reason something that reminds me of the linen/clean laundry note? It's also really faint on me. I had high hopes for this one, but it doesn't stand out among my rose scents. :/

I never used to like rose. I remember being a really little kid, thinking rather specifically, "rose is for old ladies." ...Joke's on me now, I guess, because rose is now one of my top 5 notes. :P Or maybe I had just never smelled a good rose scent until I disdcovered the lab? But anyway I digress...

Harlot is a very rosey rose. I had gotten an imp from the lab recently - wet, it is very, very rosey, with the cinnamon creeping out as it dries. The 'dribble' as the lab calls is, it very apt.

But then I also recently obtained a more aged bottle. It is still very rosey, but the cinnamon is much more prominent, when both wet and dry.

I love this scent very much (both new and aged are equally wonderful, even if they are different). Since I discovered my new interest in rose, I have tried others, but I think Harlot will always be my favorite. :)

Lab frimp. Rose and red hots, which is not an awful combination. Cute enough to wear again and proclaim, "I'm a harlot!" but probably not a bottle buy for me.

Imp: all the roses!

Wet: Sexy, sexy, rose

Dry: Faint and dry. Sexy, with an underlying sweet. This doesn't have a lot of throw I can detect.

I love roses and am looking for a rose perfume. It doesn't seem to have a ton of throw, but it's nice subtle and sexy. I think a big bottle is in my future!

Edited by Missa_Moth