Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Eerie billows of spun sugar, fluttering white cotton, and sheets of cream.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this--it's one of my favorites!
Tooth-achingly sweet, Boo is the Peeps of the perfume world. It's vanilla-cream-marshmallow, buried in sugar. I know that turns some people off, but I love it.

Boo was soft and creamy in the imp when I first sniffed it. Wet on my skin - amazing, spun sugar and so much cream with the barest hint of cotton, just as described, I don't know how Beth does it. Sweet without being too sweet, it was a delightfully comforting scent with a very nice throw and it did last a good few hours on me. Hardly any morphing at all! Once it had faded it was a bit like white chocolate, which is weird because so far even chocolate scents are never actually chocolatey on me.

I'm really sad I only have a tester of this, I know I'm going to be wanting more! This one is definitely going on my favourites' list.

Sniffed: Cloying, thick cream.

On skin: Oh dear. Even though I can smell sugary vanilla lurking in the backdrop, Boo is predominantly cloying, thick cream that smells almost plastic/artificial -- the heavy gourmand cream that I can't wear. Simply 100% fluffy, sugary and creamy-sweet -- and slightly nauseating.

Verdict: Boo would definitely appeal to heavy-gourmand lovers, and is too heavy and weirdly artificial for me. So sad that I can neither appreciate nor wear this!

I don't know if I've reviewed this yet..LOL. Oh well, two reviews never hurt anyone.

In the bottle: sugar and cream, and something almost..fruity? Mmmm.

On: Pink sugar. A deep kind of sugar; perhaps that's the cream? And..WHAT IS THIS, COCONUT? :lol:

Oh man, does this smell good. After a while I get a slight cotton note which I, surprisingly, like.

I think this definitely is an eerie scent, despite its sweetness. The linen on the drydown makes sure of this. It reminds me of poorly masked evil, if that makes sense.

I've been wearing Boo (2010) a lot lately. It's been a good scent for some sweltering summer days- all creamy vanilla, but not foody, and I get a cotton or linen note that is similar to one in Black Lace. There is a slightly smoky undertone but not strong. I really like it a lot, and it also layers well over Glowing Vulva Bath Oil!

Yummety yum-yum!

Imp: Smells just like sugared heavy cream. Delightful, not sour or anything. No celery yet. ;)

Wet: A bit like cake. Rich cream and sugar. Indeed like a lighter and no-booze version of Cockaigne. The tiniest hint of vanilla.

Dry: Like cream and sugar with dashes of vanilla and coconut (but just very, very light and only for texture). Reminds me a lot of Black Opal in fact! Boo is heavier on the sugar - alas, no cotton for me, either! - but I think one could go with Black Opal and layer this with a sugar-heavy scent to get close to Boo in case they will not make another batch of this scent for a Halloween to come. Wow.. the more I sniff, the more it really makes me think of cotton candy. Delicious!

ETA: So much for that. After purchasing a bottle when I loved the decant so very much, all I now get is.. burned sugar (or plastic bag) and pee! :( It really depends on the amount of Boo!, though. When I used just a dab, it was sort of OK, but since I am a slatherer..boohoo! mecry.gif

Edited by Honey

This is for the Halloween 2009 Boo!

Bottle: Sweet and creamy. Somewhat strong. The scent reminds me more of a combination of spun sugar and icing, rather than just one or the other. The cotton is the most subtle scent.

Wet: More subtle than the bottle scent. A good thing, since it's a touch too strong in the bottle, and it would be more difficult to wear at that strength.

The cotton is much more detectable in this phase, though the creamy sweetness is still noticable and in the foreground. The spun sugar is also more detectable; it doesn't smell like a combination of spun sugar and icing anymore, like I mentioned above. Just spun sugar with that vaguely burnt smell, as if it's just been prepared. I don't notice any souring of the scent here.

Dry: Linen and sugary vanilla cream.

It's probably a combination of the notes and my over-active imagination, but the perfume seriously reminds me of making rice krispie treats while doing a load of laundry.

I like Boo! a lot. Other people seem to like it too, since it's one of my BPAL perfumes that gets the most (positive) comments when I go out, even from strangers.

Not sure if my tester was 2009 or 2010, but I'm not complaining since it was a frimp from a lovely forumite. :wub2:

Oh my. Yet another scent I wouldn't have bought/tried on my own, but thanks to the aforementioned forumite I got to try it. This is LOVE. Sweet but not tooth-achingly so, creamy without being cloying/sour. :yum: Boo is such a soft confection of a scent, like eating angel food cake rather than a super heavy cheesecake. I normally don't like foody scents but Boo has shot to the top of my bottle wishlist, and if it's not released in this year's Weenies release I'll a) cry and B) immediately hunt down a bottle. Yum!

Sadly Boo (2009) does not like me. I end up with burnt sugar (like when you caramelize sugar and it overcooks). Sadness!

ETA: Ok, I got an imp of Boo 2010 so decided to try it. OMG So thankful that I did! It's EXACTLY how I expected Midway Resurrected to smell on me (which it did not). LOVELY!!!!

Edited by AleciaR

Boo is more of a foody scent than I expected. I get a buttery note. I get just a hint of cotton and it is sweet. Unfortunately I'm not big on foody scents. Definitely yummy but not something I'd wear.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Boo. The vanilla is sweet and delicious, but smells a little off when it's on my skin. Either the cream note goes wonky or I just don't get along with the cotton. I want to love it, but I'm on the fence for now.

Throw: Medium-strong [4/5]

Longevity: Average [3/5]

Rating: So-so [3/5]

This is for Boo 2011. In the bottle, it's absolutely delicious - a deep, creamy, inviting scent that smells like cream and fresh laundry. Seriously, I wanted to turn this into a fabric softener. But Boo was meant to be worn... and on me, it turns into a much simpler creamy vanilla. I have to be in the mood for this, because it reminds me so strongly of Bath and Body's Warm Vanilla Sugar scent, which a friend of mine slathers on to the point of making me sick. I'm thinking this will be a nice scent for cold winter nights.... it's still hot in AZ where I live, so it's not the right time for it yet. But overall, a nice scent.

It has the gentleness of snow white. Smells like beaver moon toned way way down and without the berryish scent.

Smells almost like a shortbread cookie to me. It's foody and lovely. I definitely can smell a faint scent of sugar (not the burn your nose off of sugar skull) and the linen is dancing around in the background. I get almost a powdery smell as well.

It's pretty. I like it. I don't think it reminds me of halloween but it's really very lovely.

2011:

Wet, and right on this skin this reminds me of sticky sweet marshmallow fluff. It's all cream, sugary sweet! On the dry down the notes remind more of vanilla scented pipe tobacco (which is why I think I didn't like it last year and sold my 2010 bottle) but upon further dry down this reminds me of LaVanilla's Pure Vanilla fragrance which I love. Warm and sweet. Think I'll keep my 2011 bottle.

2011 version:

This is a clean cotton, dull vanilla scent on my skin. It fades quickly and leaves a very synthetic vanilla lingering. I am not having very much luck with the Weenies this year.

The 2011 version is drier and more "linen-y" on me than either 2009 or 2010. I guess I am getting more of the cotton sheets - I really am getting a vanilla cotton smell!

Still the sweet, creamy vanilla that I love so much, but not AS sweet or creamy. But still an all time favorite!

Preconceived notions: I was sold on "sheets of cream." I also love the lab's linen/cotton notes, and spun sugar is always welcome, so yeah! This one became my only unsniffed Halloween 2011 bottle. So long as the sugar doesn't smell burnt, I think Boo will be a solid choice for me.

Wet: Whoa~ sweet! This is strong, sugary liquid; maybe like a concentrated shot of coffee sweetener. It is a little too sweet in this stage.

Dry: The cottony fragrance rounds out and soaks up some of that achingly sweet stuff. I love the cotton! It seems poofy and soft. At some point, the cream also spills into the mix. It seems like the cream wants to go sour on me, and although it's right on the verge, it's been playing nice so far. Seems like we can get along.

Overall: I'm definitely a foody lover, and this is definitely a foody perfume. Since I'm so used to wearing sweet/foody fragrances, this is just a natural "me" smell. It's just nice. I like the balance of the cotton and the sweets, and the cream keeps in check enough to be wearable. I don't know if this will amount to my favorite of the 2011 Weenies, but I'll keep my bottle. 4/5!

Boo really is a toothache in a vial. The cotton is the main note on my skin, followed by the cream and the sugar. It smells clean and sweet. It's very uncomplicated. However, I like my perfumes to be a little more complex than this. I may or may not keep my decant.

2011 version:

I was afraid when I first opened my imp, that it would be overwhelmingly rancid buttery cream.

But yay, upon drydown, it's all SUGARSUGARSUGAR!!! Love it!!!! :wub2: Uncomplicatedly sweet and sugary!

There's nothing eerie about this light and fluffy vanilla-cream scent. It's pretty but not wildly unique, which I find unusual given my experience with BPAL scents is normally the opposite. There's a hint of burned, caramelised sugar laying at the bottom of this sweet, desert-like scent that adds a hint of warmth.

Boo seems inspired by the candied-treats of the modern Halloween tradition rather than the darker historical past. It feels milky and lolly-like, a cute and fun scent but not something I would ever really wear myself. It feels a little juvenile to be honest. Nice, but not enough for me to purchase.

2011: This smells more sugary in the vial as opposed to 2010, which in the bottle is heavy on the cream. On me, it smells the same though, and does the same weird burnt plastic morph that 2010 did when it was fresh. I can smell the cotton sheets, but they're kind of burnt too. Don't need another bottle of this.

In vial: Creamy, creamy, creamy!

Wet: A wave of vanilla sheets in the breeze, with little static shocks of sweet ozone.

Dry: After a small tooth-achingly sweet burst, it becomes intensely ozoney on me, then goes back to the SUGAR RUSH! In its final stages, it reminds me of a slightly lighter version of Kill-Devil. The cotton/sugar is reminiscent of the molasses/oak/lemon sugar I get from KD.

Verdict: In the beginning stages, I can see how this would be way popular- it's the most vanilla-heavy blend I've tested to date. But it sure doesn't stay that way on my skin. The morphing and sugar/ozone shenanigans give me a headache!

This scent is amazing!

When I smell this the image of cream and sugar spilled over clean sheets comes to mind.

The cream and sugar warm up once it's on the skin and stays that way it doesn't really change. (This fades fairly fast on me). I'm looking forward to seeing how this ages :)

This scent just makes me happy everytime I smell it :wub2:

bottle: omg! it's yellow cake batter. the betty crocker kind.

wet: yellow cake yellow cake yellow cake. vanilla and sweet and dense kind of smell. there really isn't anything contrasting or high or low here, just warm sugary cream.

dry: it stays the same with an occasional bit of linen. for a LONG time and with quite a bit of throw.

it's too thick for me and a bit too foody. if the linen had been more predominant and i'd been able to get that yellow cake association out of my head i would have been interested.