Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teggy

Cupcake Spatter Pattern Analysis

Frosted chocolate cupcakes and filth.

*sniff* Um....

*sniff* Um......?

I can't smell anything. Maybe barely. I have to really huff the bottle. This is a super subtle cupcake. It's almost like...it's a white cupcake with a hint of white frosting. Maybe it's just my nose. It's not at all rich and I could barely even call this foody when it hits my skin. It's a very pleasant, real, moist cake. I just wish it was about 10 times stronger.

In the bottle: This one (much like Blackberry Jam and Scones) brings to mind Monster Bait: Closet at first sniff, though slathered in chocolate. :nervous: I love chocolate. Chocolate does not love me.

Wet: There are no cupcakes. There is no frosting. There is only CHOCOLATE OF DOOM. It is everywhere. It is angry. Must resist the urge to scrub this from my skin.

Drydown: Oh wait, maybe it's not chocolate. Maybe it's cocoa. Which doesn't quite love me, either, but it isn't out to kill me the way chocolate is. Whatever it is, hallelujah. And beneath it... is that... wood?

Dry: It's definitely wood! I think. (And almost definitely cocoa. Probably.) But it actually works! I actually smell cake now (though not the white cake Teggy gets), with a hint of sweet wood (maybe teak?) grounding it out. Just a touch. It's gone from a foody blend to a gorgeous gourmand with a base that isn't at all foody. The wet stage is a screamer, but dry, this is absolutely lovely.

Edited by freneticfloetry

This one is strange, and I agree its so faint its difficult to get a feel for. I get a bucket of rainbow sprinkles from this one. No cake. No frosting. Just rainbow sprinkles. There's not much smell to that, and there's something almost plasticy, artificial and non foody about it. But somehow its sweet happy, fluffy deliciousness. This scent is rainbow sprinkles, indeed.

I think it will lose the waxy/plastic edge with a bit of age. As strange as it is, I keep applying and deeply sniffing. Its a good clean smell and I like it more with each wear.

In the bottle I get a heavy wet vanilla scent with a bit of the cake fluffiness.

Wet: I do not know but it changed to something awful o_O I don't know what it is, but I am tempted to try to scrub it off now and not even wait until it dried. o_O; It's a vaguely alcoholic scent like red wine that has been aging for 30 years and tastes like dead leaves.

Dry: it devolves into a lightly vanilla scent with something underneath.

I get cupcakes, though there's definitely something under the cupcakes, like they've been somewhat abused or smushed and there's now other, less pleasant, stuff mixed with them. I still like it and mostly get cupcake, just with something darker beneath.

Other people who have smelled this on me say that it's like dirt/wood with some cupcake. Or like cupcakes with something really off about them. I'm not sure what scent they're getting that I'm not.

In the bottle, I smell cake and ... hmm, I can't quite place what else.

Once it's on though, it turns from cake into something boozy - like there was rum in those cupcakes! It actually stays all boozy on me for a while.

Half hour - forty-five minutes in, it morphs into - why yes, those are cupcakes and maybe a smattering of frosting. But these aren't your Wonderland light and fluffy cupcakes, nope. They're of a more sinister variety. There's definitely something dark under all that sugar.

Finally, it wears down into this really warm blend of cake, rum, and something resinous almost - not entirely edible, but it smells pretty dang good.

In the bottle: chocolate cake batter and whiskey?

Wet: chocolate cake batter. boozy note disappears

Dry:I want to lick the beaters. Smells like chocolate cake batter to me. My husband says vanilla cake batter. I WANT CAKE NOW. asdfghjkl!!! THIS IS OM NOM NOMMABLE

Oddly, as has already been pointed out, this doesn't smell like much in the vial. When I first put it on, it was very cocoa and battery and reminded me of Lump of Coal, but with a sort of musky tinge. It was a slightly dry sort of cupcake scent, which I attribute to the fact that the cupcakes in the picture this is related to are vegan. *

And the everything went straight to hell. Straight. To. Hell. What's on me now is a truly foul mix of chocolate and baby powder. It doesn't smell remotely like cupcakes. It smells evil. And musky and sickly sweet.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm sticking with scones! :lol:

* I mean no offense to all vegan baked goods; there's a place in my town that makes vegan cheesecake that's better than regular cheesecake! ;)

I was gifted with a testable amount of this by the lovely edenssixthday. :angel:

Sniffing the imp and wet on my skin, it's smells like chocolate frosting. The more it dries though, it loses the chocolate-ness on my skin and begins to smell more like pink frosted cupcake with a dash of talcum powder. :blink:

It's weird, but I like it, and I will be purchasing a bottle at some point once it's live at PostWarTrade.

This is interesting. What a morpher.

When in the bottle, it's very sweet and cakey smelling. On my skin, when first applied, I get mostly buttercream and some cupcake. But after about 30 minutes, while the buttercream is still faintly there, it morphs to....musk? This is the 2nd time I've worn it and the first time I figured it was a fluke.

But it did the exact same thing this time. Musk. A lovely, creamy musk, to be sure, but not at all what I was expecting. I was hoping to keep that cupcakey scent all day.

Ah well, can't win em all.

In the bottle: Holy shit, this smells like Underpants. A less intense Underpants, but still. And with the dry whiff of cocoa. But seriously, I only picked that up going from bottle to bottle.

Wet: Powdery cocoa powder. There's also some bitter note in the background.

Drydown: Chocolatey! But not as powdery, definitely more of a frosting tinge. (I have eaten a lot of cake this week, I am attuned to the nuances.) As it goes on it mellows out a lot. Definitely more wearable on me than Bliss, for instance, but I don't really go for cocoa scents that often (other than my beloved 13). Still, a keeper, if only for the AFP reference.

A friend picked this up for me from Comic Con and I was like........SQUEEE.

In the bottle......vaugely cupcake like, with other stuff in the bottle that my nose can't quite smell.

Wet..... Ok.... i'm getting a little icing from this..but theres an overlay of something kinda maybe woodsy and sawdusty?

Drydown... Chocolate icing, maybe a hint of cake, and more of that scent that my nose is declaring woody sawdust.

I was hoping for cupcake explosion from the heavens, but I guess that's not happening.

Hmm...this is interesting...definitely not straight up cupcake when I sniff it from the bottle...like a white cupcake what is covered with cocoa powder instead of frosting. I definitely get a dustiness from this, as some other reviewers did.

Yeah, this is not a straight up bakery foody scent on my skin. It's that white cupcake scent, with dry cocoa powder, something dusty, and something a little boozy. It's an interesting mix and a different take on cupcakes.

This seriously kind of dries down to a dust and chocolate flavored cupcake. Or a vanilla cupcake covered in dust and chocolate. Or realllly dusty cocoa powder. It's odd. Normally I HATE dust, but I don't mind it here. I just still don't think I would ever wear this. I have other cakey/cupcakey blends that I love. But there is something really interesting about this, so I don't think i'll be able to let it go that easily. Maybe because it's not like the other foody blends I normally like, and is more tempered and unique. Really cool take on the scent and concept.

this just in! Cupcake Spatter is yummeh!

ok, when sniffed in the bottle I get what smells very very much like Beaver'versary...so much so my first thought was "well, guess I'm selling this bad boy" (already have enough of the Beaver). Then, I applied it and it changed! Drying, it started to smell just like the white chocolate note I get from White Chocolate, Coconut & Marshmallow...which is delish, but I don't need more of. Then when it was all the way dry it changed again and I started getting what I *thought* was a spice note of some sort (very subdued), but now that I'm reading the other reviews talking about the dusty note, maybe that's what it is! Whatever it is, it makes this blend just different enough from the others I've mentioned, that I might just have to keep this bottle! I'm gonna let it sit and calm down...maybe age a little and test again.

If you like foody ones, this is a must try! :wub2:

eta: I take it back...after continuing to sniff this I not only have to keep it, I have to hoard it. This goes way, way beyond cupcakes people! If you could take the pear out of Perilous Parlor, THIS is the scent you'd be left with....the comforting, dusty scent of my grandmother's house! Don't know what it is, but I adore it.

Edited by ladyjc

Oooh! Cupcake splatter! :joy:

This is such a fun scent :D I was nervous about the chocolate part (since chocolate isn't one of my favorite notes) but this is really nice!

In the bottle this smells like cupcake batter! It's sweet and foody smelling.

On my skin this is really mellow, I smell golden cupcakes with just a hint of chocolate. Underneath everything I'm detecting notes of...not exactly dirt but ground. It's a very mild almost grassy smelling with a dusty sawdust note. Very interesting!

The final drydown is a very faintly sweet dusty ground smell.

Cupcake Splatter is pretty much as described (light on the chocolate though, it smells more like golden cupcakes with a buttercream chocolate frosting)....cupcakes splattered against the floor of an old, abandoned house. I like it! Yum! :wub2:

Oh! The art on the bottle is pretty fantastic too. :heart:

:umm:

Sadly, this is a very light scent. I can barely tell I have anything on. What I can smell, not sure. Maybe cupcakes, a slight hint of chocolate?

So disappointed but I'm going to hang onto it because maybe over time it will morph into something I will love. :cry2:

When I first applied this, I smelled earth, cupcakey goodness, and not chocolate, but cocoa. Cupcakes and cocoa - yes. I like it. But....earth? No. NOOOOO! Go away!! :cry2:

And after about 5 minutes, thats exactly what happened - earth went by by, and I was left with sweet cupcakes with chocolate frosting. I love it! :yum:

I LOVE this--it's more gourmand than just a cupcake. It smells like cupcake batter that's been splattered across a kitchen table, then left to gather cocoa and dust for a day or so (but the batter doesn't smell old. Just cocoa-dusty). I don't get the crumbly smell I associate with already-baked goods, hence the cupcake batter. Beaver'versary had the crumbly smell, which I take to be graham cracker. This is just gorgeous. It starts out very much batter and frosting, then dries down dustier, musky, and with some wood, without losing the cupcake batter base. It's a cocoa cupcake, but not a chocolate one. I smell like I spilled cupcake batter on a hardwood floor, then rolled around in it. ...Which sounds like a better idea than it should :lol:

Edited by Sapphy

First, don't go into this thinking it will smell anything like Beaverversery 'cause it doesn't.

In the bottle: cocoa, cake batter, and rum?

On me: baby powder and unsweetned cocoa.

Unfortunately this one is not a keeper. :cry2:

Edited by AmandaArcana

My favorite, favorite, favorite of the Who Killed Amanda Palmer series! I'd even go so far as to say it's one of my top scents and I wear it, A LOT.

This is chocolate sex cake batter. :lol: what's sex cake?? I have no idea, but I bet it'd be awesome! I think Beth nailed the batter part of this scent, it is NOT baked goods in any way. I love that it is a lusciously deep cocoa scent, no fake chocolate here. Funny thing is I do get a slight plastic note, but I equate this to the 'filth' part of the scent, like it's cupcake batter all over the linoleum floor. However, the plastic note just makes it better in my opinion.

I notice I wear this on days that I need to feel loved, it's sort of a comfort scent for me. Maybe I had a lot of chocolate batter memories when I was little :)

I have multiple bottles of this one and will likely hoard a few more since I seem to use it so much!

In the bottle I smell very little, but it is cocoa. On my skin this blooms whoa. For me this is not a slather in. But it is fresh baked chocolate cupcakes with extra cocoa. I smell plastic which I am assuming to be the filth. I like this one a lot on a day when i'm craving sweets :lol:

Definitely chocolate cupcake batter--but this is so LIGHT! Usually cocoa blends are a lot stronger on me. There is a sourness that keeps coming and going in this every few minutes; I'm guessing this is how the filth (eheh) is translating on my skin. I think I'd like this if it were a little more in-your-face cupcakey but it's just not.

Wow I really did not expect to like this as much as I do, being a non-foody person. Wet, this is boozy chocolate. As it dries, the chocolate fades away, and we're left with a boozy vanilla with a touch of musk. This actually reminds me a lot of Snake Oil, but without the resin's and spices. Whoever said Underpants, it is pretty close to that too. Sooo, we're left with a Snake (Oil) wearing Underpants. :lol: If you liked the vanilla in Snake Oil, but not the spices and resins, you may like this. I think MAYBE a bottle purchase is in order, I love the whisper of musky booziness along with the warm vanilla. The only minor complaint that I have, is that it is a tad too sweet, hence the MAYBE for a potential purchase, but otherwise, a win. I love surprises! :joy:

Edited by milo

:wub: This is one of my new favorites. I am usually all about foodie sweet smells anyways, but this has a twist to it that I LOOOVE. I wore this yesterday and I have to say (unless I put too much on) that it lasted all day for me. It smelled yummy on my shirt even. I guess whatever the filth note is it is a winner on me. This has the chocolate sweetness I love with what I seem to think smells like a man's cologne mixed in that just adds a whole different level to this gourmand scent. I am going to buy another bottle of this :lovestruck: . It is so wonderful that I do not want to ever be without this in my collection. This is my FAVORITE Amanda Palmer scent. I would highly recommend it.

Cupcake doesn't work on me. I get cocoa, wood, and dirt. Loads of dirt. Grimey dirt.

I don't fancy my cocoa with dirt. The wood is pretty prominent on me too, as if the cocoa was just a thin veneer. It lacks sweetness for me.

yeah for dodging a bullet? Esp. since PWT seems to be kinda wonky...