Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teggy

Cupcake Spatter Pattern Analysis

Frosted chocolate cupcakes and filth.

This is a weaker version of Cake Smash with some wood thrown in the background. Nice and soft and not too foody. This would be good for someone who gets a headache from most foodie scent since this is none offensive like some food scents may be. I still prefer Cake Smash but not a bad scent. Glad I just got a imp of this and not the whole bottle since I already own Cake Smash!

buttercream and cocoa.... like a frosted chocolate cupcake.

instead of "filth", though, i think i smell the paper the cupcake was baked in.

overall, i LOVE the initial cake-batter-buttercream scent, but as soon as the dusty cocoa/chocolate scent shows up, this just goes all wrong on me.

Lots and lots of chocolate cupcake with a hint of something else, like... tile cleaner? :lol: It's good, though! I'll definitely wear this again.

This smells like thick, sweet buttercream frosting, something dark & dirty, and a hint of cocoa. The dark/dirty part to this reminds me of the soiled, dark, musky smell in Czernobog (which literally smells like feces on me :/).

I've worn this several times now, trying to convince myself to enjoy it. I feel like I should love the foodie, frosting smell to this, but it's often just too sweet for me to handle, and the dirty smell can make me nauseous when I first apply the oil.

The drydown of this isn't so bad, though. After about an hour, this smells like buttercream frosting dropped on to a dusty, dirty floor (maybe a dusty amber note? I dunno).

I want to love the buttercream/cupcake scent, but I may not be able to pull this one off. It's a bit too sweet, and the odd, dirty note bothers me a lot on some days...

Augh. Okay. See, I thought "filth" meant a dirt note. I can just about deal with dirt-- sometimes I amp it, but I was hoping the foody cupcakey goodness here would overcome that tendency.

Apparently, however, my skin chemistry decided to interpret "filth" a little more literally. At the risk of being crude, this smells like poo on me. Chocolate and fertilizer. I'm not kidding. Even had my friends sniff it, and they agreed I should stay far away from it from now on. There are plenty of other foody scents in the sea, so I'm not too heartbroken, but... goodness. That's the fastest I've ever run to the sink to scrub an oil off after application. :sick:

i don't know. i try to skin test everything that i can at least once, but there are somethings that are just too...something for me to be able to handle the thought of putting it on my skin on the first go round. or the third. or the fifth.

splatter pattern is one of those.

it's sweet. i mean teeth rotting headache inducing why are you even looking at this starfish you know it's going to make you ill sweet. i'm really not known for liking much foody blends beyond some fruits and pumpkin pie spice, but this was the first bpal food blend to get that strong of a reaction from me.

i can see the cake smash comparison though- this is cake smash amped to 11, though while i don't like cake smash i could see myself wearing it on really rare occasions. this is just ...an exploded vanilla cupcake.

I panicked a little when I smelled the bottle. I couldn;t smell a thing! Once it's on though it's an instant sucess. Perfect vegan chocolate cupcakes with a dark hint of a dusty wood floor. I say vegan because the chocolate isn't full, milky chocolate but a most subdued cocoa on me. Couldn't stop smelling my wrist and the lovely darkness keeps creeping up my nose when I move. Lovely.

This is cupcake musk! I love it! It's like Cake Smash with vanilla cake and chocolate ganache. It's such a sweet, delicious scent, I would so eat the chocolate, it really smells like a smashed cupcake over musk.

In the imp, this is chocolate cake. On my skin, it's chocolate and an almost astringent undertone that reminds me of hairspray but not really. As it dries it smells a little more like dirt. Chocolate cake and dirt, like a messy Cake Smash. I like it. The Lab's straight-up chocolate doesn't usually work on me, but this is the second time "chocolate CAKE" has.

Moist cupcakes surrounded by deep ladened buttercream frosting. I do smell a bit of the filth, a small hint of the dirt note grounding out the cream and the cupcake. It smells almost like a runaway hit for the Candy Butcher actually to my nose. Just a tad lighter then the latter. As it dries it's about the same as wet. I have a good bottle of the Candy Butcher so I don't need this, but I'm glad to be able to try it. Thank you BuxomM and the Orphanage swap

In the imp this is a strange little cupcake, with a slathering of chocolate icing and topped with wet leaves?

Wet on my skin this turns in to dirtyyyy mouldy chocolate cake. I really don't like the filth note!

Drying down and this is almost completely gone. I am so sad, because for a moment the mould vanished, and out popped this glorious steamy hot moist chocolate pud! It was creamy and soft and almost like the Candy Butcher. Now it's gone... What a shame :(

Edited by TulaMontage

I got a testable amount of this from a lovely gal... I was soooo excited when I saw it. I had wanted to try this scent for a long time.

The first thing I thought was, "OMG its gone bad or something" It had this strange chemical scent to it. I didn't smell any chocolate or frosting or anything remotely foodie. Against my better judgement I put it on anyway. The smell right off was a terrible, acrid, burning plasticy smell. So not good, that I immediately jumped up to wash it off. But I stopped and let it dry down anyhow. On the dry down it did turn out to be vanilla, like a "fluffy" kind of vanilla. Not foodie, but there is definitely something lurking underneath. Its musk. For sure, musk. Every now and then I catcha a whiff of musky- vanilla. A little goes a long way here. After awhile, its just all musk.

I am glad that I got to test this one before I searched out a bottle. It was alright after a long dry down, but not good enough to endure that stinky wet stage.

Not good on me.

I give it a 1.5/5

I won this on eBay without checking the reviews first. Then, a couple of days later I decided to take a peek and was a little discouraged, only a few seemed to really like it. It arrived today and I started out with a light dab, fearing the worst.

It's chocolate cupcake batter on me, a splash of booze, some cigarette smoke and a hint of musk. Or maybe it's woods, like everyone else is saying, but to my nose there is something musky in there.

The initial sweetness wears off quickly, then the booze. It's a lovely cocoa, smoke and musk (alt. woods) on me after an hour or two. I've definitely found a new favorite. Not too foody and still interesting. Love it!

It's boozy chocolate in the decant on on skin for less than a minute, then it turns into Godiva Liqueur spilled on cigarettes on the barroom floor. :ack: It disappeared quickly.

Deep, dark chocolate buttercream and... am I the only one getting a little kiss of booze here? A gourmand delight. I'd like more of this.

In the vial: Chocolate cupcakes and something off.

On: A chocolate cupcake that fell to the ground. The dirt is clean, but it's dirt. Sadly, it doesn't make this any less foody. This is VERY chocolatey and I'm definitely also getting a cake batter note.

Later: A dirty chocolate cupcake. Very faint. It doesn't smell terrible, but it's not superb.

In the Imp (ITI): On the initial sniff, I get chocolate and butter cream frosting.

Wet: I get more chocolate on my skin (I think my skin amps it) than butter cream. There is also the faintest hint of soil.

Dry: As it dries, the chocolate becomes less prominent and allows for the butter cream to share a supporting role. I don't get the filth aspect (dirt) anymore - just chocolate, chocolate, and a hint of frosting. It's not as horribly foody as I thought and if I ever wanted to smell super sweet but not sickeningly so, I would reach for this.

Ok.. this is just weird. At first I got a shot of chocolate ..then it turned into an odd plastic-y scent that reminded me of a doll I had as a kid and that was very unpleasant but then it suddenly reminded me of when i worked in a restaurant... the back area where we had the dish washer and produce prep and walk in fridge.... it just smelled kind of industrial in nature. You know like maybe some guy with faded cologne, wearing rubber soled boots and had just washed his hands with back room sink soap.. I don't dislike it even tho it may sound that way. On me, it just smells like that quiet, nice man that worked in the kitchen.

Wet: Boozey chocolate cake and...something? Not sure what I am smelling, but it's not straight-up cupcake. I like it so far, but the throw isn't great on me.

Dry: There's something perfumey (which I like, but can't identify) underneath a very dry chocolate note. This wasn't what I would have expected, but I am enjoying it. I do have a lot of chocolate scents, but I am thinking this is different enough to justify having it in my collection

In the decant: Chocolate cupcakes splattered onto wet pavement.

Wet: I'm getting more dirty, wet pavement than cupcake, although there's definitely some chocolate present. As it sits on my skin, the ruined cupcakes (made cocoa powder) become stronger, but they're not able to overtake the other note, which now smells more soapy and clean on me than dirty.

Dry: Okay, not wet pavement, but cologne-y wood. I think there may be a splash of whiskey here, or maybe that's just the cologne-y wood that makes me think of Mister Wednesday. The wood note seems to be getting dustier over time. And it still has an aquatic vibe on me, like a watery musk is present. There's only a hint of chocolate cupcake in the background... like the memory of cupcakes.

Verdict: I'm glad I got a chance to try this one, but I'm relieved that it's not for me.