Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sierona

March Hare

A twisted teatime tart: apricot and sweet clove.

Apricot is my all time favorite fruit and clove is my favorite spice, so how could I go wrong with this scent? I bought it without smelling it, just by the description alone! I am not disappointed at all! This is a delicious scent that is a lot of spice with a little fruit. For me it is a must have. :P

This is a scent that I always think I’ve reviewed, but I haven’t. Therefore, it’s about time that I crack it open, even if apricot and peach usually twist on me.

On the wand, I quite like it -- it is indeed apricot, and very strongly so, with just a hint like something floral. On my skin, the apricot settles in slightly, losing some of the buoyant fruitiness that made it initially so delightful.

As the scent settles, it thins down and becomes strangely sharp. The clove manifests more strongly, and the apricot backs away. While I am not terribly enamored of the result, the apricot, unlike the peach, is not going doughy on my skin. I must remember this for the future.

I want to like this, because the apricot didn’t go bad on me and I like apricot a lot. Unfortunately, this scent just doesn’t seem balanced. As it is, it makes me think of an air freshener -- the apricot is strong, but it doesn’t have a true apricot fullness, and the clove reduces the fullness that it does have.

Given time, the clove fades and the apricot blossoms, with just a faint buzz to report that the clove was there in the first place. Sadly, I still can’t shake the impression of an air freshener.

An hour later, March Hare stops smelling like an air freshener, and it becomes a low, subtle apricotiness that redeems some of its past sins. I could enjoy it on someone else at this stage, but it requires too much patience from me to reach that point.

In the imp: Ooooh, apricots, but very sweet -- almost like the way canned apricots in nectar taste, but in a good way.

Wet on skin: The apricot is a little fainter, and something spicy is coming out like a touch of cinnamon but it must be the clove. It's all very subtle. The sweetness almost seems like almond at this point.

Drydown: It's a Peach Jolly Rancher candy! It's divine! I want to eat it and I cant stop sniffing my wrist!

One hour later: Ahhh, Peach Jolly Rancher candy with a hint of clove. These blend so well together it's hard to see where one leaves off and the other begins. It's a fabulous mixture. I just wish the throw was stronger.

Throw: sadly, a bit faint. I can't smell it at all unless my wrist is a few inches or less from my nose. While typing, I get a very occasional faint whiff of it, but that's all.

Verdict: Definitely buying a bottle! I realize that a lot of people say "Jolly Rancher" about scents as though there's something wrong with that, but I absolutely adore scents that smell like tart, tangy candy. Since March Hare is just that on me, I am all over it.

I got to try this luckily as the lovely LauraB sent me a frimp!

Anyways, my first ever BPAL review:

In the imp: (this was before I read the notes) Fruity with something extra to tone down the sweetness a bit

Wet on skin: The apritcot comes through strongly and the 'something extra' comes out clearly as spiciness which must be the cloves. It's very strong on me at the stage and the spiciness is a bit invasive and has a lot of throw.

Dryed on skin: This warms and combines gorgeously together. It just smells so warm and comforting! The spiciness isn't invasive anymore as the fruitiness and spiciness balance each other out. Really lovely scent and my dad actually said it smelled lovely on my skin and he isn't usually one to make comments on perfume! I'm considering buying a full bottle :P

780824365_sTu2Q-Ti.jpg

Imp/Bottle: cloves, but with a lovely apricot presence. Yum! I can hardly wait to wear this one.

First Applied: hmm. The clove seems to be very, very strong in this imp. I was wanting this for the apricot note, based on the reviews I'd seen. I may be in trouble.

Dry Down: The clove just keeps getting stronger and stronger! I like clove, very much, as a food spice. I could like it as a very supplemental note in a blend, I think. But as the main (and ONLY) note I smell? No way. This imp should have been labeled "Clove SN" because that's all there is. I am getting a headache from it, it's so strong.

Final Verdict: 0 out of 5 stars. This was such a personal disappointment, because I totally love apricot in BPAL blends. The clove just overwhelmed me. Evidently my body chemistry just takes clove and runs with it...Long. Distance. Running. Ooof.

Edited by stellans

Bottle: Pure apricot. Like a jar of apricot jam.

Wet: Slightly spicy apricots, reminiscent of one of those pastries with apricots and cinnamon/spices on top.

Drydown: Sweet, slightly less in-your-face apricot now, lightly spiced.

Dry: Now this is LOVE. Gorgeous, smooth, sweet apricot grounded by a hint of clove and spice in the background. Absolutely delectable. And so glad it's GC!

Verdict: An apricot pudding with spices drizzled over the top. Sexy, smooth and sensual. :P

Rating: 5/5

ETA: This is BRILLIANT as a room scent. Try it in an oil burner.

Edited by Jenesis

In the imp: Apricot

On Skin: Apricot and clove.

On Drydown: Apricot and clove, and kinda smells like generic potpourri.

Verdict: Out of all the clove scents, this is the one that I like the most. Unfortunately, it sort of turned into a pleasant but generic potpourri smell on my skin. Curses.

Frimp from the lab! :P This had actually been on my wishlist, so I was pretty excited about it.

Starts out as a sickly, sticky-sweet apricot - nearly rotten, it's so SWEET. Ack.

Then the spices come out in full force, and it's very odd - I can smell both notes at the same time, very strongly, and they don't blend. I wait for them to blend! They don't blend. Boo. Instead, the apricot just charges right back in, and somehow overpowers the CLOVE. This is the reverse of the way it should be, folks! But sadly, it is this way, so off it goes.

In the bottle: Smells like childhood medicine, pink & gooy amoxicillin. :D

On My skin: MUCH BETTER. No more amoxicillin smell. :P Smells like Christmas to me, winter dried fruits and cloves. On my skin, mostly cloves... and some of that fruity apricot, though not as strong as some of the other reviews seem to indicate. Mostly clove. I approve.

I really like it, it IS strong, but I like it like that, and I like the warm, heated sort of scent it is. People say "candle" or "potpourri," and I sort of agree, but more of the warmth of a candle or potpourri than the smell. I don't find it a bad scent at all. I think this is more a winter-time scent than summer, though.

In the imp, and wet on my skin, it starts out as a 'scented candle' kind of smell. I'm not too impressed. Then as it dries down, it really turns around.

Apricot, with a spicy edge. Its very unusual, the apricot is both grounded and intensified by the clove. I love the smell of clove and this one is lovely on me - its possibly the first of the Mad Tea Party scents to work on me. Unfortunately, my niece fell in love with it and has claimed the imp for herself. I'll have to find another one for myself.

March Hare-

In Bottle: Peach, rather like a peach candle.

Wet: Less candle-like, with a hint of the clove beneath the peach. Very nice!

Dry: Mostly very light and peach. Doesn't stay long, but quite nice nevertheless.

Overall: I like!

March Hare

transparent oil

frImp (Thank you!) : Syrupy sweet apricot.

Skin: Warm apricot. Its juicy, sweet and tart. The clove needs some time to come out fully, about 5minutes, after that its apricot pastry without the pie crust.

This warm apriclove stays stable right till the end.

Its a staight forward scent, people will rarely find it offensive. It does smell like christmas, where you've got candles and hot cider and pastries and you're sitting by the fire.

Not my style to wear this, but I do find the scent comforting.

I imagine a lot of people will like this for winter.

I just recieved March Hare, and I LOVE it! I don't consider myself a fan of apricots because they are usually too strong and give me somewhat of a headache, but I ADORED THIS!

In the imp: Sweet, smooth vanilla and apricots... smooth, though.. like a smoothie. The clove/cinnamon smell kicks in right after, and it goes together soooo well that it's almost unbelievable. It does smell kind of like a tart! This scent fades flawlessly in ONE smell from juicy, fresh apricots to clove and it ends somewhere in between.

Wet: Very fresh and strong apricots... Very decent throw! So far so good.

Dry: On me it faded somewhat and became more of a husky clove scent. The apricots peep in and out every few minutes..

SOooooOOOOO beautiful! This would definitely be an amazing room scent, perfume, and I probably will be getting a big bottle of it!!

In the bottle it smells like delicious, sweet apricots. I tried this on a friend before purchasing it, and on her it smelled exactly like the bottle, and dried down to only a hint of clove. Sadly, on me the scent is entire cinnamon, from the clove I think. A bit like Old Spice, without the too ripe sour smell. A nice cinnamon, but not what I had in mind when I bought the bottle. After a while it turns into a more light apricot with just a hint of clove, but by then it's nearly faded away completely. A lovely scent that just didn't work with my body chemistry.

What can I say. This is just beautiful. Apricot & clove two scents that just go together. Spiceyness at it's best. It smells like I have just baked a fruit cobbler starring apricots.

My skin loved this blend and tended to amp it up quite nicely. I love how it lasts on my skin. So this is definitely a keeper and has been placed on my big bottle buy list for the fall!

I adore March Hare. It smells like a fresh, juicy apricot and spice pastry. Utterly mouthwatering. Of course, when I asked my brother, he thought it smelled "artificial". Pah. Boys. What do they know, anyway?

In bottle/imp: Extremely sweet apricot with a very light touch of spice.

Immediately on skin: Apricots and clove… it is simple, but the two match beautifully together. The blend is extremely sweet though and the apricot is taking center stage. I’m hoping my skin will let the clove come through.

After a few minutes: This has lightened up, but it’s not overly sweet at all, and the clove is just peeking through the juicy apricot. I’m really liking this!

Later on: It’s become very light and sweet with just a touch of clove. I absolutely adore this scent and I’m so happy it became more mild as I wore it, as opposed to going overly sweet like most fruity blends do on me.

Okay. I just have to avoid these damn fruity blends.

I honestly wanted to love this one. I love apricot, I love clove - thought this just might be the foody blend for me.

Hell no.

The apricot is cloying and the clove is awol. Hellooooooooo clove? What clove is there just isn't taking the syrupy sweetness down at all. This isn't even yummy in a candy way to me, it's just pure :P

Off you come March Hare. To the swaps with you.

March Hare smelled like sweet, juicy apricots from the bottle. On my skin, the clove came out, bringing to mind the holiday season. I liked it better in the bottle, but I could see myself wearing this during in November and December. It's definitely more of a "scented candle" type smell, though, so maybe I'll use it as a room scent. I'd give it a 3/5.

Hmm. Very interesting. As with all my imps that I ordered, I couldn't wait to test this one out. Here's the review:

Wet: VERY strong and bold, which I like. Clove hits me first, and then the apricot comes trotting along quite soon afterward.

On skin: CLOVEY apricot. Those two are all I get. Not bad, not my signature scent, but not bad at all. Reminds me instantly of autumn, and I love autumn, so yey.

Drydown: This stuff LASTS baby. I like-a an oil that lasts!!! It kind of reminds me of potpourri with all it's spicy apricot-ness. There is def some synthetic-ness to it, but it's not bad.

Overall, won't purchase a big bottle b/c I needs to save me money for only the VERY bestestest oils...but I will use this imp for SURE.

Edited by seven

In Bottle: Like peaches and cream, almost!

Wet: Sweet and summery, like some kind of peach pie drowning in syrup.

Dry: Not as sugary, but still very sweet and fruity. The clove is so mild and mixes with the apricot so well, it almost doesn't smell like clove at all!

Overall: Nice! I was a little worried about the clove in there at first, because it usually doesn't work on me, but this turned out very nice. I'm usually not a fan of peach/apricot smells, either, but there's just something about the mix of this that really appeals to me. It goes well with Cheshire Cat, too! :P

first sniff: Spicy, peachy apricots.

wet: Same as the sniff, only more so. DH - "It smells like Christmas!"

dry: The clove comes out more and combines with the apricots. :P

I see a bottle in my future.

IMP: Peach-flavored candy or bubblegum, very very sweet and juicy.

WET: Like really juicy fresh peaches and apricots, amped up with extra peach candy flavor. Super yummy intense peachiness, with a growing hint of spice in the background.

DRY: This is like some heavenly, idealized version of fruit cobbler -- it has the warm sweet spiciness of cinnamon and clove and brown sugar, yet the fruit still smells bright and fresh and uncooked. Even a couple of hours later, when it's mostly warm spices, there is still a hint of fresh fruit behind it.

This is a really gorgeous, juicy, comforting scent, a bit like an autumnal version of Tweedledee. Definitely a big bottle for me! :P