Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sierona

March Hare

A twisted teatime tart: apricot and sweet clove.

In the bottle: The apricot and clove mingle beautifuly. I want to eat it (well ok, not literally)

First on: The apricot is very strong, and now I can barely smell the clove. I prefer peach to apricot, but I love clove, so we'll see how it turns out.

Drydown: It's now all apricot and honey. It's a nice scent, but not one I would wear.

In the Bottle: Apricot on top of a GIANT CLOVE!!

Dry: Juicy apricot over a dry spicy clove. A much more rounded clove than some other oils. This is VERY Fall. I Need to see how this wafts up to the nose, could be too bitter, but if it stayed as well mixed as when I sniff my wrist, this is a Big Bottle Buy!

When I first put this on, it smells exactly like apricot jam. Which, ok, I can see why that might be too much for some people, but I like to smell like food, so it's all good. It gets better, though, as it dries, and the warm, spicy clove comes through. Now it's sweet and spicy, and I'm very much enjoying it. Especially nice for autumn.

I'm having the proverbial "I want to eat my wrist!" reaction. :P

After the success of this and Siren, I will be seeking out the rest of the blends that have apricot notes. I can't believe how true this scent is: the sweet, the tangy, the fuzz... the apricot is all here! Plus I'm getting notes of honey, vanilla, and brandy, even though the ingredient list just says apricot and clove. I've only had it on for about an hour, so too early to tell how long it lasts, but I tell you, I will be heartbroken if it fades quickly, because this just jumped right into my top ten, or even five.

ITB: Apricot and clove, just as advertised. On: Cloves, and not just cloves, but CLOVES. Dry: apricot is mellowing the cloves, just a bit. Apparently I amp cloves. I do wish I had gotten more apricot, I might have liked it better. Overall, this very masculine on me. Off to swaps.

Wet: Peachy. Like that hard candy, the name of which completely escapes me...or peach wine, although there isn't any wine in here...

Drydown: It's all about the peach...and nothing but the peach. Not that it's not nice, but...well. I'd rather eat a peach, y'know?

Next!

Oro

Received an imp of this compliments of the Lab..thank you very much!!! :P

Apricot and sweet clove..this sounds right up my alley..since I do love cloves..so here I go!!!

Initial sniff from imp: It's all syrupy fruit..the apricot is loud and clear..with the clove in the background. Interesting..since usually the clove note is much stronger..at least to my nose..but this is a nice enough change up..I do like apricot.

Funny..even though I closed the imp..I can still smell that apricot...a minscule drop mus have touched the tip of my forefinger..amazing that such a little goes a very long way in the form of throw...

Applied wet on skin:Still all apricot...even when breathe deeply it's all fruity apricot on me. Not a bad thing...

Couple of minutes on skin: Still the same...apricot loud and clear on my skin...but now the clove makes itself a bit more assertive..but it's more like the notes are blending on my skin...where the apricot starts to fade..the clove seamlessly comes in and just finishes the fruity tones with it's own spicy/sweetness..just a touch..but it's there.

March Hare is similar to the other fruity/warm scents such as Tamoraand Carnal. Instead of the fruit being either mandarin or peach it's apricot..instead of the sweetness coming from either vanilla or fig..it comes from the clove..I am enjoying this very much. Two notes..simple enough..but it is amazing how Beth can blend these two in just the right amounts to produce this wonderful blend.

Throw is pretty good on me...no complaints here.

Drydown:Apricot..softened significantly with the clove. All fruity sweetness softened with just the right mix of the clove.

Staying power is good on me...6+ hours.

Bottom Line: All in all..a very nice blend. March Hare is the deeper cousin of Carnal and Tamora. Both I have a 5 ml of..so I am not too sure if I need to add March Hare, but I will indeed keep my imp. I think this fragrance does well in Indian summer through fall and possibly early winter. As much as I am not so much a fruity scent gal..the apricot and clove really pack a deeply fruity/warm punch. Me likey!!

at first, the apricot on this so intense i can practically taste it! that's great, because i love eating dried apricots -- but sadly, within 30 minutes this becomes a lightly fruited baby powder.

and i hate baby powder.

"another one bites the dust".

n.

MARCH HARE: I was very wary about trying this since some oils with clove in it tend to end up smelling like Graveyard Dirt on me but this one was different....

In the bottle: Apricots - not fresh off the tree but more of a sweet ,almost boozy apricot. Almost like Grand Guignol but not so boozy.

Swiped on writst: Now that is fresh apricots! I can almost smell the tree in with the fruit.

Dry down: This has become a more rounded scent . The clove is peeking it's head out but it's not overpowering (or earthy). It's helping to darken the apricot from the fresh and fruity it was at application to a deep sensual, languid scent. I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

March Hare

...from a swap with new momma x2 rhubbarbear!

The first time I tested this was outside in barely above freezing temps. All I could remember was that it contained cloves (:P), but I couldn't recall the other notes.

Naturally, upon reading these reviews my hindsight is all "apricot! yes of course!"

So I'm listing Take One (outside, ignorant) and Take Two (inside, enlightened) next to eachother... because my first and second experiences were different enough to warrant all this extra rambling. :D

In the bottle take one: peach? sort of a cherry-ish air freshener kind of fruit smell. Not "air freshener" as in "chemical" or "bad", but as in "not an actual fruit, but the reenactment of one". If that makes any sense.

In the bottle take two (inside at room temp): fruit tarts, complete with luscious pectiny glaze, dusting of cinnamon and cloves, and slightly over-baked crumbly crust.

Wet/drydown take one: mysterious fruit flare followed by cloves! Have I mentioned I love cloves?

Wet/drydown take two: I got some on my fingertips. Somehow oils smell different on my fingertips. In this case "different" feels like it means "more true to the original nature of the oil". I'm getting an apricot candle with a swirl of cloves. The fruit is not jam-sweet, and the cloves are not oversharp. They seem to compliment eachother very well here.

Later (take one only): Lately my skin seems to be devouring oils. This one was just a hint of clovey fruitiness by lunchtime. The reapplied bit I have is still pretty strong (I'm about 45 minutes in) but feels like it will also fade. Interestingly, the fruit component seems to be hanging around longer.

Related sidenote: at the last Oregon Meet 'n' Sniff I watched Tempete slowly invert (not shake, more like a methodical flip) all of the imps she tested to blend the oil. I had my imp of March Hare in my jacket pocket on my way to work. Perhaps the oils blended better when I fished around and got the imp out to test it a second time?

Note to self: always "Tempete"r oils before testing! :D

ETA: Whoops! Forgot to list my conclusions... I like this one quite a bit, though I have to agree that for me this is probably more an excellent room scent than a "me" scent. Still. Cloves. Sigh. Love!

Edited by darkitysnark

I don't get the apricot note from the discription... just warm sweet cloves.

This reminds me of how my clothes would smell after a night of drinking and smoking Djarum clove cigarettes during my highschool days.

I really love this scent.

Mt first reaction to March Hare was "It smells like Hamantaschen!!!"

In The Imp: Pure Apricot. The sweet stewed kind with lots of sugar, but not so much that the ripeness of the fruit is lost. I swear I can feel the fuzziness of the skin!!!!

Wet On Skin: Still very fruity with vanilla undertones.

15 minutes in: I was waiting for the cloves to come out. It is not what I think of when I think of cloves though. I was expecting a very spicy note. The clove in March Hare is very mild on my skin. Maybe the fruit evens it out, but it's a nice lightly spicy. It's a really lovely balance of fruit, vanilla and spice.

Overall: I am suprised that I like a fruit scent so much and that it hasn't turned on me!! It's a warm scent that will make you hungry. I want to go make fruit filled pastries because I smell just like one!

Oh, this is delicious. On me, March Hare is first sweet apricot. As it dries, the cloves come out to keep it from being completely sweet (although I don't think I'd have minded that as a scent on its own either)--this seems to make it a bit more complex. It fades in a few hours on me, but it's absolutely lovely (mouth watering!). I wouldn't mind having a bottle of this.

In the bottle: foody, clove scent. Seems strong.

On skin: After drying, clove dissapears and leaves me with a sweet cherry smell. Like a newly opened can of cherry pie filling. This must be the apricot?

I'm not too sure I like this one, but I think I'll try it again sometime.

Hmmm. Weirdness afoot. Carnal smelled exactly like apricot tarts to me. March Hare smells very sweet and clovey, but I can't pick out the fruit. I like MH, but Carnal smells more like the description of March Hare than March Hare does!

In the Bottle: I LOVE Beth's apricot note, it's.....heaven. I have such gloriously high hopes for this. The apricot is freshly cleaned and glittering. The clove is softly pungent yet not attacking. This smells like a candy my aunt used to make for easter. She'd take fresh apricots and stew the clove in sugar and then freeze the apricots and then right before serving pour the boiling hot sugar/clove mixture over it. It was fantastic. I hope this works on me, it reminds me of my favorite aunt who passed a few years ago.

Wet: Oh WOW....the apricot is beautifully ripe still on the branch and the clove is lightly dusting the fruit. I can only BARELY smell the clove and it's fantastic. This smells even better than Aunt Carol's apricot treats! This has gotta stay nice on me! It just has to!

Drydown: The sweet clove and apricot have merged perfectly like soul mates. I love this. I love it love it love it.

This is really strong!

Its mostly apricot with the slight spice of clove. I didn't think I was going to like this, but its quite yummy!

I think I might get some for my mother to use as a room scent, as she likes oranges and cloves around christmas time

Apricot! Juicy, ripe apricots underscored with a hint of spice.

It is a very sweet blend with my chemistry – but that doesn’t detract from that little slap of clove beneath the syrupy quality of the fruit. I quite like this, and as a summer blend, I think I’d really enjoy wearing this regularly.

Whether it’s deserving of a big bottle has yet to be seen – the sweetness as it dries tapers off to that tart, nose-tingling fruit peel smell (that’s not a bad thing at all).

I’d love to see what would happen if March Hare was layered with a vanilla to make it a bit more creamy.

3.5/5

First review!

I like this one. I'm a huge fan of fruity and foody smells (although sometimes I don't actually want to smell like them, just have my house smell like them), and this seemed like it would work well from the description.

Inital reaction : It smells like apricot salt water taffy! Yum! (Mom thinks it's awful, though, but she hates fruity. Possibly not the best choice of testing partners.)

On application: The apricot is gone entirely! Boo. Where'd the yummy go? All I smell now is spicy clove, which is too much for me.

Dry: The apricot is back! *rejoices* It's not a strong as it was, and the spicy note is more apparent than in the vial, but it's still mostly the juicy, lovely scent I liked in the first place, and the clove adds just enough depth to make it interesting. It's still very strong.

Definite keeper, and I'll probably order a bigger vial. It lasted quite a while on me, and stayed tasty.

In the bottle: Yummy, spicy apricots.

On the skin: The apricot has taken a back seat to the clove. Now it smells more like clove with a hint of apricot. I'm not much for fruity scents, but this is really quite good.

Later on: Still smells of spicy apricots. Yum!

I got my order yesterday and this is the first to be tested on the skin.

In the bottle: I was a bit taken aback because the smell of cherry penicillin came up at me. Ok i was a bit scared. :P

On my wrist it began to morph.

Reminded me of those gummy peach rings covered in sugar.....

And my Baby Apricot doll that blows kisses. the breath that came out of her mouth smells similar to this. ( two points for you if you remember the Strawberry Shortcake baby dolls that blows kisses) :D

I was afraid the clove would not come through but it does. It gives it a spicey note that warms it up a bit but still retains that fruity quality quite well. it gives that tingly feeling if you put your nose right up to it.

the throw is decent, not overpowering at all, though. like if you caught a whif of a candle store in October.

overall a very pretty scent. very harvesty. well if harvesty was a word :D

ADDED Jan. 9:

March Hare is really like candy coated apricots with the spiceyness of clove. I tried this on one wrist yesterday and it stuck with me most of the day. it's very comforting in a harvest time/candle store kind of way. this would also make a great room scent.

in the bottle and immediately on skin it is all apricot. big, wet, juicy, fruity and delicious. no hint of clove until maybe a couple minutes when it starts to peak out.

the apricot and clove blend perfectly later on, every now and again coming to the front only to settle back down again in a perfect balance. i do agree... this is definately a good match for summer.

i do so like this one. it satisfies the fruity scent i wanted. can't wait to see what others i find!

edit - aha! i just figured it out. when i first put it on it is ALMOST the same scent as a peach jelly belly jelly bean. only with a tiny small hint of spice that grows. :P

Edited by space girl lost

wow. a lot of people have noted how strong this scent was. on me was a yummy juicy apricot scent with a hint of spice, but it did't stay long at all. The tea party scents seem to fade on me espescially fast. within an hour or so it was all gone. :P I love this scent, and i definately use my imp, but i'm sorry it'll be gone a lot faster than i'd like!

In the imp: It's a fruit scent--but I don't mind it! My goodness, first Marquise de Merteuil and now this...

Wet: I still like this. I don't like apricots in my tea, but I do like them here. The spice of the clove is strongest on me, however.

Dry-down and wear: This is spicy clove with just a touch of something sweet. I love it, and I almost feel bad for doing so...my mother dabbed a bit of it on and really liked it. I told her that I'd probably be giving it to her, since I don't usually wear fruit scents. Oops...maybe I'll leave her the imp and give it pride of place on my GC acquisition list.

I really enjoy March Hare as a room scent. On my skin it was just too strong for me and the apricot became a little overwhelming. But in an oil burner in my kitchen, it's heavenly. It smells like I've been slaving away all day baking apricot tarts, and it lasts and lasts!