Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut.

I recieved an imp of this some time ago, but I haven't reviewed it yet.

This is the perfect rose. Not too sweet, and not too strong, the green note beautifully balances the rose. It makes this scent wearable and unique.

Added: Unfortunately for all it's beauty, it has a short life-span on my skin. I guess the chemistry is just wrong for me... Edited by Summerpixy

Rose Red:

Really, I should've known better. I like roses in person, but hate the smell of them in any other form. Rose Red smelled like pesticide to me. I had to take it off within an hour of application. :P

I suppose roses just aren't my thing.

I do not have a bottle of this scent, but a close friend of mine does. I typically do not like rose scents. I adore the smell of a real rose, but not rose scents.

The first time I smelled this oil, I was amazed. It smells like a fresh rose! The green notes really make all the difference. It gives it that dew-ey, morning rose bloom smell. Very fresh and light.

Sadly, when I put this on, the green notes vanished and it turned into that powdery Victorian rose smell. I hate that smell. I almost cried when it turned on me. I envy everyone that can wear this and have it stay true. :P

Thanks to gingersnapp for the decant!

First sniff: I have never met a rose scent that made my mouth water… until now. Just taking the tape off the imp cap released a burst of deliciously lush rose-petal satin. Rose Red smells like walking through my grandmother’s back yard in the sun between her beds of rosebushes… and for possibly the first time I’m getting a tactile impression from a scent (usually if I have a weird other-sense thing I get a colour or an image)… smelling this scent makes me think of touching rose petals, that perfect soft smoothness that nothing manmade can match.

Wearing: I was hesitant about trying RR because generally roses are Not Me, but… holy wow. This is utter rose perfection.

Origins - Imp received in a swap.

The first thing I notice is that it is completely colorless. Weird!

Wet - this isn't quite what I expected, strangely enough. It's definitely rose, but there is something else, that makes it smell crisp.

Dry - it doesn't change much except that the "crisp" scent is...dust. That's odd, it smells just like dust, and is giving me a headache! I think the rose is this is amazing, but it's just too dusty for me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5, being best, this rates a 2.

Rose Red

In the imp: wow! Pure, fresh, crisp, frozen rose. And a hint of green.

Wet on skin: whoa…this is not just rosy perfume, this is a fresh cut rose bud, but chilled, like it's growing in winter. But it's pure rose. Beautiful.

Dry on skin: now it's got warmer and fuller, and less green, now the rose is showing its beautiful bloom, the petals have opened. This is a fresh, crisp rose, and such a magnificent scent.

After a while: it softens out and fades a bit but still retains that gorgeous, gorgeous fresh cut rose scent, now lingering close to the skin. I am worried that this will fade away though...I hope it doesn't!

Verdict: I am hooked on BPAL rose scents. London was dried English rose petals, Rose Cross was pure and sanctified rose, and this is the fragrance of rose petals on ice. This is chilled rose, frozen for eternity and captured in perfume. And so beautiful-you can even smell the rose leaves, the buds, the dew (or frost)…it's crisp, it's pure, it's beautiful. And it truly 'blooms' (hehehe) when it hits the skin, becoming warmer and richer. I sure hope this is being released again this Chrimbo-I'm getting a big bottle, or three. (Now I'm looking forward to 2 5 7!)

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Ah, Rose Red. I paid lots money after the fact for you, and you are worth every penny and more.

In the bottle- the perfect rose. It smells unbelievably fresh, and life-like. Tears worthy.

On my skin- At first, Rose Red does a very scary thing- it turns gasoline and is very very strong. It is almost an organic gasoline, almost fermented. I feel like this might be the “green” component of the blend. Eventually, the gasoline disappears balanced by a beautiful rose. To distinguish this from other rose blends, all I can say this that blends like Whip and 3,5,7 seem like lots and lots of roses packed into the oil, while Rose Red smells like a single, perfect rose held in your hand.

In the bottle, on my skin, Rose Red doesn't change at all - it just dries to a softer, more subtle version of its bottle self.

That said - it's beautiful. It's perfect. I have no idea how Beth created this scent, it's so amazing. I was at dinner the other night, at a restaurant with fresh cut roses on the table, and I spent a good 15 minutes wondering, "Who here could be wearing Rose Red?" before I figured out what was going on.

I smell the flower, with a hint of the stem and leaves; it's very clean and light. I normally don't like most rose blends, but I will treasure my bottle of Rose Red.

I finally got my hands on a bottle of this!! Yeah!! It is everything I hoped it would be. It literally smells like the ripest, reddest rose you can imagine has been liquified and put in a bottle. The most perfect essence of the most perfect rose. It conjures images of Valentine's bouquets and wedding days. In fact, I just might wear this for my wedding this year!! Bravo, Bravo. Encore PLEASE!!!!! :P :D :D

I can't believe I never posted a review for this! *slaps self on backs of hands* I actually thought I lost the bottle of this. I'm so glad I didn't!

In the bottle: It's like stepping into a florist's rose cooler. That overwhelming, in your face, scent that screams ROSE. It's roses, that have been just misted and are now safely chilled, waiting to be arranged into a fragrant bouquet.

Wet: It's a rose. It's the whole rose. It's the petals. The leaves. The thorns. The dirt. The dew.

Dry down: It looses a bit of the *punch* that it has when it's wet. It settles down into a fragrant bouquet of roses. It's that suprise bouquet that your dad sent you for your birthday from a "secret admirer".

Bottle (Imp): Oh yes, this is a rose. A beautiful rose. Sooo wonderful.

Just On: My skin immediately starts to ruin this scent. It's still okay at first, but it starts to turn kinda icky.

An hour or two later: Powdery soap. My skin always ruins a rose heavy scent.

Around 6 hours: It's more powdery flowers than soap now, but it's still not nearly as gorgeous as it was in the imp.

12 hours: It's pretty much gone, but there is a hinty of soapy powder left.

Overall: This is an absolutely beautiful scent, and my skin wrecks it. I figured it would, but am so happy I got to try it anyway.

After reading other reviews: I agree that it's a freshly cut rose, before you've even left the bush you've snipped it from. I'm not a huge rose fan (scentwise) besides real ones, and this smells real. If it worked on my skin, I'd probably be hopping to find some.

this is sad review.

I went into this with an open mind as I've now tried a few rose bpals and realised that I didn't hate all rose afterall...

rose red, it has a green note which (sadly) just turns sour on me, I think I'm not a big fan of green perfumes.

in the bottle it smells utterly gorgeous, on me it smells like icky dead flower water :P

This is roses and green on me. Fresh, wet, red roses, cold, with the stems and leaves. It's clean, cool, yet red red red at the same time, but with green underneath. It's lovely. It's high on my list of BPAL favorites. However, I think I might like Whip a bit more--while Whip is warm and sexy, Rose Red is cold and distant. Whip says come here, Rose Red says stand over there and admire me. I still love Rose Red; I just need to be a certain mood to wear it. It's definitely less sexy than my other two rose favorites (Spellbound and Whip) which is good--I think it's more of a work scent than those two are.

However, I should add that Rose Red earned me only my second umprompted perfume compliment ever, when my coworker was standing next to me--she loved it and kept saying how good I smelled.

I tried a small swipe of this from batgirl's bottle at the Chicago meetup (I promise only the smallest swipe, as I know how precious this one is!).

I do not like rose. In fact, I usually don't order any oils with rose listed. But this one could almost make me willing to wear it. It was so natural, so much like fresh roses, that it was truly unique. :P

My Impression: Fresh Cut Roses straight from the florists fridge...I LOVE IT, unfortunately, it disappears way too fast....But oh how I love thee :P

It seems silly to just be an echo, but this is really ROSE!! I have never smelled a rose scent that so clearly evokes a big fresh hothouse red rose :P

Fresh cut rose perfection in a bottle! Oh my, it really is beyond perfect :P

I also get the very green in-the-bottle first sniff, but when applied to my skin, it's almost as though someone just delivered a thousand roses to me. It is a pure, dew laden rose at the height of it's bloom. I have to say that this is my fave rose BPAL scent so far, and I am fortunate enough to have received an imp from dear jj_j. I sincerely hope that it returns someday- it is astounding.

In the bottle: This is to me, walking barefoot in a moonlit rose garden, crushing petals and grass underfoot

Wet: Crushed dewy petals. An intact rose just doesn't release THIS much pure clean rose fragrance.

Drydown: The delicate scent of an English country house rose garden wafted on a cool summer breeze.

Dry: The intensity has diminished, It's faded and delicate but still fresh rose.

This is possibly a little feminine and, dare I say Romantic,(It's the concept of all those crushed rose petals :P) for me to wear everyday, but I love it.

It's quite shortlived but definitely a keeper.

In the imp: Beautiful, fresh cold, wet rose. The way it smells when you've taken it straight from the florist's fridge.

Wet on me: what the hell? sort of sharp like grapefruit?!?

Dry: grapefruit rose! Not at all what I expected.

Dry later: The grapefruit is gone, and the rich rose is back. Not fresh & cold anymore, but still lovely and rich.

Edited for later scent.

Edited by Muppetk

The amazing Scourgeoftheseas sent me this as part of a surprise swap. What a wonderful adoptive mommy she is! :P

There is really no way to describe this except as everyone else has - absolutely fresh cut bright red rose with a hint of chill. That is what it is in the bottle. That is what it is on my skin.

I absolutely adore the scent of actual roses, but I have always been a little leery of them in perfume, because they can become *so* cloying, but Rose Red stays very true on me.

This is not a scent I would wear every day, as at the end of it, I am a sweet/spicy/fruity gal, but it is devinitely an imp I will cherish and wear bit by bit...

I had swapped some Virgo for Rose Red so that I can try it out for my Rose Quest :::huzzah!:::. I've been sick lately, but today I felt good enough to try it out.

In the bottle, Rose Red is clear, and smells so pure and rosey with a hint of green elements. It's wonderful, just like how I like my roses to smell. There was no hint of powderyness or "dryer sheet evil" in the bottle.

On my skin at first, the oil maintains the same properties. It's so delicate, I think it might just disappear.

It wasn't long, however, that Rose Red warmed up a bit. Like bringing a flower out of the florist's freezer to the room temperature, there's a bit more warmth and floral. The green note that was there in the bottle sort of goes into hiding. This is a very gentle and feminine scent on me so far that can be suited to pretty much any season.

I'm smelling my skin again and note how Rose Red seems to be playing disappearing acts with me. It could be because I'm shoving my face into my skin a bit too much. It's funny, I'll get close and inhale, and I'll *start* to smell a delicate rose, then... it sneaks away. There still isn't much green, as there was originally, but I still think it smells pretty, although on my skin it seems to morph into a bit more "mature" fragrance. The rose seems to be a bit drier as it wear longer on my skin, but still very delicate and soft, but extremely hard to detect. It's like I don't smell rose, I smell the ghost of the rose.

I'll be looking forward to the Yule LEs to see if Rose Red will, again, make an appearance. For those who are interested in green-rose scents and/or scents that don't go powdery, Rose Red would probably make a good gamble if it's ever up for grabs. Next time I wear it, though, I may be applying with a heavier hand.

-doreen

This is the smell of a rose on a rose bush, vibrantly red and just bloomed. It has that smell with a hint of the spray that florists spray on rose bushes to keep it smelling "fresh." Over time, that spray smell gets stronger.

A nice scent, but I don't like roses.

in the bottle: Fresh cut rose.

wet on skin: This is indeed the perfect winter rose, freshly cut and wrapped prettily in a clear plastic box with baby's breath and greenery.

dry: the greenness of the scent disappears after a short while, along with the slight plasticky smell. All in all, this is just plain rose. I managed to finally procure a bottle of this from Joseybird on an LJ sale, after stalking countless eBay auctions that went far beyond my reach.

Rose Red!

I received an imp of this yesterday from Orodemniades. Here is the review of a ROSE LOVER in person and in the form of perfumes:

1. In the vial: a medicine like rose. I really don't like the smell.

2. One hour later: I placed it on the inside of my elbow (the true test area for me and a fragrance). As I typed, the scent floated up towards my nose and all around me; I was in love. Unfortunately, whenever I put my nose to my arm, I still could smell the medicine.

3. Three hours later (bedtime): The scent still floats all around me so I put it on for bed to give it the staying power test. About 4 hours later, I could no longer smell it on my skin but at 11:00 a.m., the smell is still on my bra and comforter. The smell on the body is rose that has been drenched in cherry wine. The smell is delicious and mouth watering. On the clothing items, it smells like STELLA by Stella McCarthy before that scent dries down and become horrible; i.e. this smells like a mysterious rose scent.

4. Conclusion: I really wish this was a fragrance still being made. I think I would seriously considering buying a big bottle and just making sure that some of the scent rubbed off on my clothes so that I could smell it all day.

ADDED Sept. 25:

Rose Red turned out to not be for me. I couldn't stand all the greens in it.

This is such a strong rose scent indeed!

It starts like a lot of open and big red roses bouquet, the kind of intense red that almost looks black in some parts.

Very strong and with a lot of trow.

As it dries down I can smell a light earthy note and then... it's vanished!

No more Rose Red! :P