Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut.

rose rose rose! I do love me the smell of fresh roses, and this oil really WANTS to be that. I smell it, there somewhere... but I kept smelling something else... not sure. Leaves? it was taking over the delight of rose for me.

now, as it has been on my wrist for about an hour, the rose is how I WANT it to smell... but can I handle the beginning to get through to the end? not sure yet... I may give it another try!

it MAY be why I have this headache right now, though... :P

So much rose! So good!!!

It's a fresh, fresh rose, still surrounded by greenery. Someone above said they smelled raspberry in it, and I can almost call it an unripe raspberry smell. Roses on top, rose leaves, and the tart/bitter hint of raspberries that are still white/green.

Tons of throw, and just lovely.

I could positively cry over this one. I love roses and I had high hopes for it.

In the imp: a frosty but very rich red rose smell. There's something green behind it like the fern and baby's breath that you often get with roses when you buy them at the florist.

Wet: Pretty much the same. My nose wants to stay stuck to my wrist and just inhale the rich rose scent.

Dry: I never seem to get to dry. I've tried it twice now and both times, the scent just fades away. It's two hours later and there's nothing left.

Woe and alack. I wanted to love this but unless I reapply every two seconds it won't work. Maybe a scent locket would help. Will investigate.

the (05)

Bottle: Like going into a florist and sniffing a just-opening deep-burgundy long-stemmed rose. amazing.

Wet: the sharp tang of the greenery , the rose, not-quite-blooming - I don't think I've smelled anything so real before (that wasn't, you know, the thing itself).

Dry: less fresh and rosy, more herb-y, now, with a hint of rose.

Later: interesting, as it fades is almost take on the effect of a rose drying, the rose scent is fading away and is replaced by an almost-dusty greenness. Fades quickly on me, I'm sad to have driven that wonderful, initial, rose away..

This is just-cut rose. Bright and red and green. My first reaction is to cry, this smells so much like my great-grandmother's house with the roses. A rose is a rose is a rose. Rose Red is just perfect like that.

Origin: the '04 version, first a few drops from the dear joseybird and then an imp I bought on El Jay

Initial Thoughts: It is rose. It must be tried.

In the Bottle: Yes, Beth has done it. She has bottled the scent of a crisp, cold rose, just-picked.

Wet: A very lovely bright chilled rose.

Drydown: I get a lite version of what later happened to me with Peacock Queen. Green notes emerge and crowd the floral side away. It morphs very suddenly and stays very green until it fades.

Verdict: I want a sweeter, more floral rose. This imp got sold.

Freshly cut roses.. and a hint of unknown perfumeyness.

The brilliance of the scent though, the uncanny ability to catch that 'freshly cut rose' scent puts me in Awe of beth, once again. You can smell the dew still on it, that amplifies the freshness.. and the rose scent is just.. pure. No powderyness, no 'old woman'ness...

Huzzah.

Rose Red 2004 - Sniffed wet in the vial, this smells exactly like a fresh-cut, red rose. It's strong and bold and red, red, red. It reminds me why I love Rose Red '05. I'm glad to see that unlike the '05 version, '04 doesn't disappear on my skin after 10 minutes. However, it is right around the 10-15 minute point that I begin to notice a scent that's not red rose -- it's the scent of rose stems that have sat in water for a few days -- it's soft and woody, slightly pulpy. After about 30 minutes, the scent becomes significantly less red and incredibly more "green" with a strong aquatic scent about it. It definitely reminds me of sticking my nose in a vase of flowers that have been sitting in water for several days. It's not entirely unpleasant, it's just not fresh or crisp or red as it started out. I can't say much as to how it smelled when it was new, but on my skin, the past 1.5 years since it was released haven 't been good to it. I hope I can find a better home for my imp.

Rose Red 2005 - This is the scent of a fresh, chilled rose -- leaves and all. I've never smelled any rose more authentic than this one. Unfortunately, it fades on me after about 15-20 minutes, leaving a whole lot of nothing. I put it on before going to my office holiday party, and by the time I arrived 15 minutes later, the scent was gone! I rate the incredible, beautiful, authentic scent extremely high, but have to rate the lasting power about as low as they go. I won't be buying more and have passed on what I had.

Edited by edenssixthday

In the vial: Fresh red roses.

On me: Fresh red roses. This perfume oil captures the scent of a red rose absolutely perfectly. It's one of the most gorgeous rose scents I've ever smelled - it's like putting your head into a bouquet of Valentine roses and sweet baby's breath.

Verdict: I really want more of this scent. It's incredible!

Rating: 5/5

this smells like roses and leaves and at the very beginning, i get the tinsiest bit of earth/dirt coming through, though not like zombi or anything. my skin seems to eat this right up though, within half an hour it has faded a lot.

ADDED Nov. 2:

i got a sniffie of this from someone. it's a nice crisp rose scent with a touch of greenery from the stem. simple and understated and pretty. i may have to track down more of this.

In the bottle: A very green, fresh tea rose. It makes me think of white roses rather than red ones.

Wet: An overpoweringly green rose scent, like the stalks of the roses rather than the flowers. Aquatic notes emerge and hammer into my sinuses. This is a very violent rose with lots of thorns.

Drydown: A dry, sharp, spicy rose - it nearly smells like sparkly dust, a rose in effervescent powder form. It's still a green/white rose, very far from red for me. It becomes sweeter and sweeter, and really reminds me of some kind of acid fizzy candy.

Overall: This blend really hates me - give me the Peacock Queen anytime! This is a fresh, green, sparkly rose, and it goes completely wrong on me. I think this is mostly my nose and skin chemistry, but it's rare for rose blends to go off on me, I'm usually a huge rose enthusiast. Very disappointing.

Rose Red 2005

This is the scent I dreamed about finding as a little girl----the perfect rose, a rose perfume that really did smell like roses and not just some artificial rose-floral scent. This is a rose that makes me feel like a princes in a fairy tale.

So far, I've only used tiny dabs in testing, and the scent has not lasted very long on me, but perhaps I need to use more. It is very fresh, green, crisp, with just a hint of spice. It reminds me a bit of a tiger-striped rose someone gave me once, and its the scent my own roses only achieve after the rain.

I hope to get my hands on a second bottle of this, but with the popularity of the scent, I'm lucky to have gotten the bottle I own now!

The description of this really says it all. You know how you get the roses from the cooler at the florist and you bury your face in them and just breathe in? This is that scent. Cool, moist, lush, deep red roses. It's beautiful. Very feminine and soft. But it has a very "femme fatale" feel to as well. Delicate and soft and just a little vulnerable but strong and willful at the same time.

Wet, soft and sweet - almost candylike - floral. No greenery or actual petals in this imp, just ... candy florals. Wet, still sweet candy florals, this is a bouquet of pink and yellow and white candies... very... strange. As it dries, it becomes roses. Still very sweet but tentative, very gentle but pleasant. Warming up, this becomes a velvety red-white tinged rose with petals and more precise. It is now decidedly rose with a very soft wet note; and yet, it is entirely sweet - like it has been sugar glazed. Very sweet, very ... foody. Ironically. Edible roses.

I really wanted this to be another "My god! It's pure unadulterated roses!" scent... which it wasn't. Alas.

Thank goodness this did not go sharp or soapy on me- most rose blends to do this. This is so amazingly gorgeous, and everything I could ever want out of a rose scent. I am so glad that I finally snagged a bottle of this! It smells so dewy, green and fresh.

What's that saying...a rose is just a rose...right? WRONG. This is the most beautiful rose oil I have ever smelled. It's intoxicating. I CANT stop smelling my wrists :P For the rose lovers, this is a MUST. For the rose haters, you might want to give this one a try because it's gorgeous.

It smells like a perfect single red rose.

I'm a rose lover, so of course I had to find a decant of this to try out. I was so excited because this oil is legendary in the rose lovers circle. When I first put it on, I was sooo sad because what I smelled was balsamic vinegar with a touch of rose. But I stuck it out hoping it would go away...it didn't. I wasn't ready to give up yet, so I tried it again today, when it was a different time of month. And score! The vinegar smell faded in about 5-10 minutes, and it truly is an amazing fresh rose straight out of the florist's fridge. It sweetens a bit as it sits longer, but it doesn't get sickly. It stays a nice fresh rose. The only drawback is that it didn't last very long on my skin. In comparison to Peacock Queen which is more like a sunny corner of a rich lady's rose garden, this is a cooler, crisper and slightly sweet rose scent. A great compliment to the rose lovers collection. :P

Edited by gloom & doom bear

I acquired an imp of this in a swap, and I can now enhance my review, knowing the description, because there was an edge to this that I just couldn't get...

Rose addict that I am, I'm glad to have this. Freshly cut, dew-laden, ice-rimed ROSE, crushed leaves and stems, young, callow, hothouse bred, extremely green-- I can taste the astringency at the tip of my tongue, scrape it off the back of my teeth.

The texture, strangely enough, is a bit chewy.

This is freshest rose water; this was one of the Beast's roses, cut at such high price. As usual with my skin and the purer rose scents, fabulous throw; on me, this deepens as it dries and loses some of the raw living green quality, but none of its razor-sharpness.

C&P from my LJ, dated 2 Sep 2006 and slightly edited

I've had an imp of this for a while, and had previously tried it. That time, my skin amped up the greenery, and I didn't get any of the rose. This time, things were different.

In the vial: Mmm, a lovely deep red rose.

Wet: This is one of the scents that takes a little while to amp up on me. This time I got the rose notes - that gorgeous deep red rose. I can also smell the dew and the greenery. I have no idea how Beth does this.

Dry: Sadly, the scent doesn't last long on me - not even an hour. Strangely, I can't smell it much up close to the skin, but I get wafts of the lovely rose from time to time.

I ordered this for my mother, a landscaper and something of a floral enthusiast. She was thrilled, and so was I!

A fresh, chilly rose in the bottle; warms up slightly on the skin. If you're looking for a more powdery rose like most rosy scents or a warm, floral touch for burning, this isn't the one. Excellent for wearing, though.

I received some Rose Red '05 in a swap today. In the bottle and wet it was that very fresh rose that wasn't too sweet like Blood Rose or woody like Seance. Mmm...fresh ro--wait...no...no! Stop! No please! Don't go soapy on me....

:P Dammit. Why must rose do this to me?

This might end up being a scent-locket-only oil, but I might convert it into a parfum spray and see what happens.

Ninja Edit!: Last night I decided to try this in the oil ring for my lamp and almost instantly my living room was filled with the scent of fresh roses. Absolutely beautiful! I might try to dilute it in some carrier oil since it was really strong. I'm just ecstatic that I found a use for it so I can enjoy it's splendour.

Edited by Teggy

This sounded beautiful, and I couldn't wait to try the imp I got from a forumite. Unfortunately, on me the velvety lushness of rose is smothered under an unpleasantly sharp, green herbal note--more leaves than flowers. Nice, but there are rose blends I like better. This one's for swap.

Edited by citharadraconis

So perfect. Just like putting your nose down in a fresh nose! I've loved lots of the BPAL rose blends but this one is the purest, freshest, least morphing one yet. I must have more.

It's still very evident on me 7 hours later, too...I feared it would fade, but nope! Love love love.